Why vs That's why: What's the Difference?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn about the difference between 'why' and 'that's why' in this informative article.
  • Discover the subtle nuances between 'why' and 'that's why' and how they are used in sentences.
  • Explore the various situations where 'why' and 'that's why' are used and gain a better understanding of their meanings.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

A year ago we discussed getting engaged. Spencer said he'd propose sometime within the next year and last spring it seemed like he was working up the courage to do it. (He was talking about how happy he was and what he was seeing for our future). Then his best friend got his girlfriend pregnant and told Spencer he was thinking about proposing to her. After that, the idea of us getting married went on the back burner. Spencer stopped talking about us, and I think the reason was he didn't want to step on anyone's toes. (It's why he said he didn't want to get engaged when his sister was getting married.) It's whyとThat'w whyになるときの違いは何でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4131/5367)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

it's whyとThat'w whyになるときの違いは何でしょうか?  下記では、意味はあまり変わらないが that の方が強調を示していると言うことです。  https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/211445/what-is-difference-between-it-and-that

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12102)
回答No.2

>It's whyとThat'w whyになるときの違いは何でしょうか? ⇒どちらも「それ」と訳されることになるでしょうけれども、何を指すか(何を受けるか)が違ってくると思います。 It's whyの場合:この場合のItは、先行文全体を受ける。「それは~ゆえである、だから~したのである」。 「スペンサーは私たちの話をやめてしまったが、その理由は、彼が誰かの感情を損ねたくなかった(と私が思った)ことです」という節全体を受けて、「それがゆえに~」とか、「だから~」と続くことになります。 ということで、この場合のItが指すのは、「スペンサーは私たちの話をやめてしまったが、その理由は、彼が誰かの感情を損ねたくなかった(と私が思った)こと」です。関係部分の全訳はこうなります。 「スペンサーは私たちの話をやめてしまったが、その理由は、彼が誰かの感情を損ねたくなかったからだと私は思います。(だから、彼は姉〈または妹〉が結婚しようちしているときに自分が婚約したくない/婚約を発表したくない、と言ったのです)」。 *スペンサーとしては、姉(妹)の「出鼻をくじく」ようなことをしたくない、という気持ちなんでしょうね。 That's whyの場合:この場合、Thatは(もし使うとすればそれは)、具体的な語句(名詞)を受けることになります。この文では該当する語句がありませんが、もしあるとすれば、his thought「彼の考え」とか、his real intention「彼の真意」のような語句になる(可能性がある)、と思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• lost his way

I thought my husband and I had a great marriage -- until I looked on his phone and found text messages to another woman. I was crushed. I asked him about it, and he said that it was nothing and that there were only a few messages. When I checked our cellphone details, I was completely devastated to find that it had been going on for almost a year and there were almost 2,000 text messages during the past six months. When I talked to him about this and all the lies he had told me, he said he had lost his way and he was sorry and didn't want to lose me. lost his wayはここではどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 自由英作の添削をお願いします

もう前期試験まで一週間もないのですが、心残りなので時間がある時にでもお願いします。 阪大の2008年度の自由英作文の問題です。 Is a lie always bad? Why or why not? Answer in English in around 70 words. I don't think a lie is always bad. Because a man is happy by a lie in some cases. For example, a man was suffer from a cancer. He was getting weaken. When he asked his doctor about his cancer's situation, however, his doctor answered he was getting recovering. Of course, what his doctor said is a lie, but he was happy. A lie made him happy. よろしくお願いします。

• want to have toの日本語訳について

こんにちは。 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire [UK,adult版] p.751真ん中あたりの文についてです。 Harry nodded. A kind of numbness and a sense of complete unreality were upon him, but he did not care; he was even glad of it. He didn't want to have to think about anything that had happened since he had first touched the Triwizard Cup. ここで "He didn't want to have to think about anything that had happened since he had first touched the Triwizard Cup." の日本語訳は "優勝杯に触れてから起こったことについて何も考えたくなかった。" となっているのですが、なぜ「didn't want to have to think about 」が「について何も考えたくなかった」となるのでしょうか? 「didn't want to think about 」との違いを教えていただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• it ではなくthatの理由を教えてください。

it ではなくthatの理由を教えてください。 Ted was sad because he was going to change schools. When he told his friends about that, ......... 最後の about thatはabout itだと思いました。「he was going to change schools」これをitに置き換えて about itとするべきではないのでしょうか? 他のと比べてみて何が違うかわかりません。 But they didn't clean the place and went home. Masako saw it and became very sad. ここはsaw itな理由はわかります。they didn't clean the place and went homeを当てはめることができますから。同じように上の文もitだと思いました。

• 和訳を手伝っていただけませんでしょうか?

お世話になっております。和訳は下の文でだいたいあってますでしょうか?それとも、once I got married のところはかつて結婚してた時という意味なのでしょうか・・wouldが入ると例えなのでしょうか。。 He also asked me to explain marraige in America, and why I didn't have and didn't want a boyfriend or a husband, and if and why I wouldn't want to stay home and be a housewife once I got married. 「彼は私にアメリカの結婚についても尋ねた。そして、なぜ私が恋人や旦那がいなかったのか、そして、もし結婚したとしたら、なぜ家にいたくないのか、また、主婦になりたくないのかをたずねた。」

• 和訳お願いします

和訳お願いします I flew downstairs and turned around as if on a stage,posing and smiling,modeling my new coat for my father who was paying attention to me and telling me how pretty I looked. then he said he wanted me to model the hat,too. “No,Daddy,I just want to show you the coat. Just look at the coat on me!” I said,still swimming around the hallway and trying to avoid the subject of the missing hat. I knew the hat was history. He was giggling,and I thought I was cute and loved because he was laughing and playing with me. We went around a couple times about the hat,and in the middle of his laugh,he slapped me. He slapped me hard on the face, and I didn't understand why. At the sharp sound of his hand on my face,my mother shouted,“Mike! What are you doing! What are you doing ! ”She was breathless and surprised. His anger pierced both my mother and me. I just stood there holding my hand to my burning cheek,crying. And then he took my new hat out of his coat pocket.

• この英文は何を言いたいのですか?

以下の文ですが、老人は孤独だから、女よりも話し相手が欲しいのだ、と言いたいのですか? それが老人の知恵だと言いたいのでしょうか? どうも、何を言いたいのか、よく分かりません。外国のメル友が送ってくれました。メル友にとってはimpressiveな内容なんだろうと思います。 解説的に説明して頂けませんか。宜しくお願いします。 Here's a guy in his 70's who loves to fish. He was sitting in his boat the other day when he heard a voice say, 'Pick me up.' He looked around and couldn't see anyone. He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again,'Pick me up.' He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog. The man said, 'Are you talking to me?' The frog said, 'Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up, then kiss me; and I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen. I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous, because I will be your bride!' The man looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully and placed it in his shirt pocket. The frog said, 'What, are you nuts? Didn't you hear what I said? I said, "Kiss me, and I will be your beautiful bride."' He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said, 'Nah. At my age, I'd rather have a talking frog.' With age comes wisdom.

• 関係代名詞

関係代名詞なんですが、 He said he would get married soon,() was not true. カッコの部分には何が入るんでしょうか? そしてそれがもし He said he would get married soon,() but was not true. こうなったら何が変わってくるんでしょうか? 分かる方いたら解説お願いします。。

• どのような意味でしょうか

I am engaged to be married to a wonderful man. We had a bit of a rocky start with his lying to me about a past escapade he had before we met. He was embarrassed about it and lied, but I found out anyway. Since then, he’s been wonderfully open and honest and we even exchanged email and Facebook passwords as a way to set a general policy of openness in our relationship. Well, curiosity was killing this cat and, though nothing particular prompted it, I looked at his emails and saw some old ones from before we met between him and his ex-girlfriend. curiosity was killing this catはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• この問題について

I'm not quite sure what book he was talking about. これはなぜ後ろの部分がhe was talking aboutとなっているんでしょう? 完全文か不完全かの違いは関係あるんですか?