• 締切済み

Parmenidesについての英文

Parmenides of Elea c. 510–? 440BC ‘One cannot know that which is not –that is impossible’ Little is known of Parmenides’ life and background, and fragments of a poem entitled On Nature are all that survive of his work. Nevertheless, it contains one of the first examples of reasoned argument in which, perhaps as a reaction to Heraclitus, Parmenides attempts to prove that change is impossible and that reality is singular, undivided and homogenous. In the first part of his poem, ‘The Way of Truth’, which was revealed to him, he claims, in meeting with a goddess, Parmenides distinguishes between an inquiry into what is and an inquiry into what is not. The latter, he says, is impossible. ‘One cannot know that which is not –that is impossible –nor utter it; for it is the same thing that can be thought, that is’. The essence of this somewhat cryptic argument is that in order to think of something which is not –let us say, ‘a unicorn’ for example –one must be thinking of something: there must be some idea present to the mind, presumably the idea of a unicorn. But to think of a unicorn means that the unicorn (or the idea of a unicorn) exists in the mind, and therefore it cannot be truly said that unicorns completely fail to exist. The argument turns principally on two complex issues. 冒頭の ‘One cannot know that which is not –that is impossible’ について 「人はそれが存在していないことを知ることができない。それは不可能である。」という意味ですか?thatは代名詞、whichは関係代名詞ですか? ‘One cannot know that which is not –that is impossible –nor utter it; for it is the same thing that can be thought, that is’. について for it is the same thing that can be thought, that is’.のthat isはthat is impossibleですか? 最後のit cannot be truly said that unicorns completely fail to exist. について fail toは、~し損なう、という意味だと思うのですが、 fail to existで、「存在し損なう」と訳すと意味が取りにくいです。ここのfail to~はどういう意味合いになるのでしょうか? 以下次の英文が続きます。 First, exactly what is meant by ‘exists’ here? What is the difference between existing in the world and existing in the mind? This begins a controversy that will reappear throughout much of the history of philosophy in many different contexts, but most notoriously in Anselm’s ontological argument, some 1500 years later. Second, what are the connections between thoughts, words, and things? If that debate started with Parmenides, it has taxed almost every major thinker ever since, up to and including the seminal works of the twentieth century by philosophers such as Bertrand Russell, Ludwig Wittgenstein and W.V. Quine. よろしくお願いたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

みんなの回答

回答No.2

that は指示代名詞 which は関係代名詞であっています。 those who で~する人々 この物かつ単数バージョンと思えばいいです。 古い英語で、今風には thing which とか something that とか 結局一語で書けば関係代名詞の what のことです。

r_llwqcxary
質問者

お礼

文法的なところの解説ありがとうございました。 those who~はよく目にします。 この物かつ単数バージョンなんですね。

• 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

. 冒頭の ‘One cannot know that which is not –that is impossible’ について 「人はそれが存在していないことを知ることができない。それは不可能である。」という意味ですか?thatは代名詞、whichは関係代名詞ですか? that は接続詞でthat which is not で名詞句を作っていますね。which は関係代名詞でしょう。 意味は、書かれているとおりです。 ただ、「存在していないこと」と約せるのは、この後の文脈によるもので、この文とその前の > Parmenides distinguishes between an inquiry into what is and an inquiry into what is not. The latter, he says, is impossible. だけからすると、 「人は"~では無い"と言うことを知ることはできない。」と言うことになると思います。前の、 "an inquiry into what is and an inquiry into what is not" も、 「"~である”と言う問いと”~で無い”と言う問い」と言う意味と思います。次のパラグラフで, ユニコーンが存在するしないと言う話が出てくるので、ここの"is" が存在すると訳せることがわかります。 > fail to existで、「存在し損なう」と訳すと意味が取りにくいです。 訳はその通り、「存在し損なう」です。その意味は、 ユニコーンの事を考えた時に(ユニコーンが実在するかしないかに関わらず)少なくとも頭のなかには存在しているので、その意味で完全に存在しないとは言えない。 と言う、チョット禅問答のような話のようです。だから、fail to exist のような、周りっくどい表現をしています。意訳すると、 it cannot be truly said that unicorns completely fail to exist. 「ユニコーンが完全に存在を否定される物とは、真に言う事はできない」 英文が難しいのではなく、書いてある内容が哲学的で難しいのです。

r_llwqcxary
質問者

お礼

内容的に難しいところを解説していただきありがとうございました。 英文を読んでもさっぱりなんだかピンとくる感じではなかったですが、なんとなくそういうことを言ってるんだ、というのが感じ取れた気がします。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

以下の英文の和訳をお願いします。 Displacement is one means by which the dream does this. In the first place, it is the effect of feeling which is displaced, so that what appears to be most important and full of emotion in the dream may be really of least significance, whereas an apparently trifling matter may be pregnant with meaning. The emphasis of the dream is thus displaced and so eludes the censor.

• 英文和訳お願いします。

英文和訳お願いします。 In general, my music is just quiet because it’s not the kind of music that is supposed to be loud, there is not really anything more to it than that. It would be pretty silly to blast strings and piano at 105db. こちらなのですが、英文和訳をお願いします。どうもthere is not really anything more to it than that.のあたりが不明で・・・。

• 英文の和訳

英文の和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 抽象的かもしれませんが どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 On the day you meet he will impress you, and in the days and hours afterwards he will haunt you. That is the only word for it. He will make an impact on the depth of your being that barely registers, except that in the time that follows you will not be able to think of any man but him.. He will seem striking, alluring in some way that you cannot fathom, and which has nothing to do with his looks, as though a chord is struck in your deeper soul, or the innermost chambers of your being. You will recognize him, not only from the description, which is in a sense quite bland, but something inside of you will be mesmerized. All day and days afterwards he will have stamped his indelible impression on your mind and you’ll keep thinking back to him, to the meeting, to the man, to the warm kindling feeling inside of you. Like a curtain of a dream it will drop across you life. It will be that mystical, that beautiful, yet real and solid too.

• 訳・文法が分かりません

It follows that it is not entirely, nor even mainly, an affair of book learning, for that is only the education of one part of our nature ― that part of the mind which deals with concepts and abstractions. In the child, who is not yet mature enough to think by these short-cut methods, it should be largely an education of the senses ― the senses of sight, touch and hearing: in one word, the education of the sensibility. まず、補足ですが、follows that itのitはeducationを指しています。 文法的な質問が2つあります。 ・for that is…のthatはbook learningで間違いないのか? ・whichの先行詞は何なのか? 少し長いですが、宜しくお願いします。

• 英文についての質問です。

Full well do I know that in order to attain any definite goal it is imperative that one person should do the thinking and commanding and carry most of the responsibility. But those who are led should not be driven, and they should be allowed to choose their leader. It seems to me that the distinctions separating the social classes are false; in the last analysis they rest on force. I am convinced that degeneracy follows every autocratic system of violence, for violence inevitably attracts moral inferiors. Time has proved that illustrious tyrants are succeeded by scoundrels. For this reason I have always been passionately opposed to such regimes as exist in Russia and Italy to-day. The thing which has discredited the European forms of democracy is not the basic theory of democracy itself, which some say is at fault, but the instability of our political leadership, as well as the impersonal character of party alignments. (What I Believe by A. Einstein) わからない点について教えてください。 1)But those who are led should not be driven, and they should be allowed to choose their leader. those who are led should not be drivenのshould not be drivenの個所はどのように意味をとるとよいのでしょうか?人の思うままになってはいけない、というような意味ですか? 2) in the last analysis they rest on forceのrestは「~に基づく」という意味ですか? 3)The thing which has discredited the European forms of democracy is not the basic theory of democracy itself, which some say is at fault, but the instability of our political leadership, as well as the impersonal character of party alignments. この英文は、基本的にnot~but構文ですか? which some say is at faultのwhichは関係代名詞ですか?先行詞は冒頭のthe thingですか? the impersonal character of party alignmentsの意味がとりにくいのですが、「政党の一直線化(整列化?)の非個人的な特質」?(ほとんど意味がわかりません) 質問が多くなってしまいましたが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳に困ってます><宜しくお願いします><

和訳に困ってます><宜しくお願いします>< 英語の和訳をお願いします! 長文になりますが、宜しくお願いします! The mind is no less capable in women than in men of making this from resolve which constitutes virtue and of recognising the circumstances in which it should be practised. women can control their passions just as well as we can, and they are not more inclined to vice than to virtue. One could even tilt the balance in their favour on this issue because affecthion for children. which is incompara bly stronger in women than in men, is naturally linked with compassion which, in trun, could be called the virtue and tha bond of civil society. it is impossible to imagine that society is reasonably established for any other purpose apart from the mutual satisfaction of needs and common necessities. And if one looked closely at how passions arise in us, one would find that the way in which women treat us when we are in distress, almost like their own children, is like a natural development of their contribution to the birth and education of men. Thet the differences which can be observed in the conduct of men and women derive from their education It is all the more important to notice that the dispositions with which we are born are neither good nor evil, because otherwise one cannot avoid a rather common mistake of attributing to nature something which results only from custom

• 英文の邦訳

The fact that such promissory notes today cannot be cashed in for gold does not take away from their relationship to the sublime and the uncanny. It is important, however, not to lose sight of the fact that the ghostly glow shimmers only on rotting meat, that the other side of the sublime is slime—the messiness of desublimation necessary to create the seemingly pure forms of monetary equivalence and the seemingly pure distinctions between gift and commodity, sacred and profane, that animate whole monetary, mathematical, and market worlds. 上記英文を御訳し願います。

• 英文読解

In writing these pages, which, for the want of a better name, I shall be fain to call the autobiography of so insignificant a person as myself, it will not be so much my intention to speak of the little details of my private life, as of what I, and perhaps others round me, have done in literature; of my failures and successes such as they have been, and their causes; and of the opening which a literary career offers to men and women for the earning of their bread. (中略) That I, or any man, should tell everything of himself, I hold to be impossible. Who could endure to own the doing of a mean thing? Who is there that has done none? But this I protest:— that nothing that I say shall be untrue. I will set down naught in malice; nor will I give to myself, or others, honour which I do not believe to have been fairly won. (中略)以下の英文について教えてください。 That I, or any man, should tell everything of himself, I hold to be impossible. ・・・・私やいかなる人が自分自身の全てを語ることは、不可能です? Thatは「~のことは」ですか? shouldは話者の強い意志を表したものですか? Who could endure to own the doing of a mean thing? Who is there that has done none? 修辞疑問文ですか? I will set down naught in malice ・・・・私は悪意で無を書きとめるつもりです? どういう意味ですか?in maliceのニュアンスが掴めません。 お手数をおかけしますがよろしくお願いいたします。 ----An Autobiography: Anthony Trollope

• ★「次の英文を読んで、下記の質問に答えなさ い。」どうして答えが(C) になるのでしょうか?★

英文)All too many weaklings are also cowards, and few cowards fail to be fools Thus there must be at least one person who is both a weakling and a fool 問)The flawed pattern of reasoning in the argument above is most similar to that in which of the following? (A) All weasels are carnivores and no carnivores fail to be nonherbivores, so some weasels are nonherbivores. (B) Few moralists have the courage to act according to the principles they profess, and few saints have the ability to articulate the principles by which they live, so it follows that few people can both act like saints and speak like moralists. (C) Some painters are dancers, since some painters are musicians, and some musicians are dancers. (D) If an act is virtuous then it is autonomous, for acts are not virtuous unless they are free, and acts are not free unless they are autonomous. (E) A majority of the voting population favors a total ban, but no one who favors a total ban is opposed to stiffer tariffs, so at least one voter is not opposed to stiffer tariffs. 解答=(C) 答えは(C)だそうです・・・が、どうして(C)かちょっと分からないです。(英文の意味は分かってますけど、答えは(B)とか(E)だと思ったんですのでちょっとビックリしました。 これはどうしたらたやすく解決できるのでしょうか? どうして答えが(C)になるのかご存知の方いらっしゃいましたら教えてください。m(__)m

• (2)英文読解

(1)の続きです。 The history of the next century involves very large numbers; consequently it is possible to make certain predictions about it with a fairly high degree of certainty. But though we can pretty confidently say that there will be revolutions, battles, massacres, hurricanes, droughts, floods, bumper crops and bad harvests, we cannot specify the dates of these events nor the exact locations, nor their immediate, short-range consequences. But when we take the longer view and consider the much greater numbers involved in the history of the next ten thousand centuries, we find that these ups and downs of human and natural happenings tend to cancel out, so that it becomes possible to plot a curve representing the average of future history, the mean between ages of creativity and ages of decadence, between propitious and unpropitious circumstances, between fluctuating triumph and disaster. This is the actuarial approach to prophecy—sound on the large scale and reliable on the average. It is the kind of approach which permits the prophet to say that there will be dark handsome men in the lives of x per cent of women, but not which particular woman will succumb. この英文の it becomes possible to plot a curve representing the average of future history, the mean between ages of creativity and ages of decadence, between propitious and unpropitious circumstances, between fluctuating triumph and disaster. にある"fluctuating triumph"とはどういう意味ですか? 変動する偉業? また、It is the kind of approach which permits the prophet to say that there will be dark handsome men in the lives of x per cent of women, but not which particular woman will succumb.の意味がわかりません。 大変お手数をおかけしてしまい申し訳ありませんが、教えて頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願い致します。 ----Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow : ALDOUS HUXLEY