The Dandelion clock - Questions and Confusion

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The protagonist slept in a room with a broken window and a neglected garden.
  • The protagonist explains to Max that it doesn't sound like the building is falling down.
  • The conversation between the protagonist and Max reveals confusion about the phrase 'a little work' and the meaning of 'after –how long has it been?'
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。その1

There are bound to be other things as well. I mean, there's a window broken in the room where I slept, and the garden's---the garden's awful. It needs work doing on it, that's all. It's mostly small things."(前回の終わりです) ↓(続きです) ‘You slept there?' he says, sounding incredulous. ‘Yes, of course. It was too late by the time I'd –when I'd finished looking round.' ‘Well, at least it doesn't sound like it's falling down,' he says cautiously. ‘You'd expect a little work to be necessary after –how long has it been?' ‘Eight years,' I say. ‘Well, quite.' There's a pause. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 ‘You slept there?' he says, sounding incredulous. ‘Yes, of course. It was too late by the time I'd –when I'd finished looking round.' ‘Well, at least it doesn't sound like it's falling down,' の会話の個所ですが、it doesn't sound like it's falling downと言っているのは、「眠れなかったように思える」、というような意味ですか? ‘You'd expect a little work to be necessary after –how long has it been?' ‘Eight years,' I say. の個所のやりとりがわからないのですが、a little workというのはちょっとした仕事、という意味ですか?after –how long has it been?のafterはどういう意味になるのでしょうか? You'd はYou wouldで推量になると思うのですが(あなたはちょっとした仕事が必要だと思っているでしょう?)、その後でhow long has it been?と聞いて完了形を使っているのが分かりません。 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

(1) Well, at least it doesn't sound like it's falling downと言っているのは、 「まぁ、最低でも(一晩を過ごせたということは)家は崩壊してはいないようだね。」 (2) a little workというのはちょっとした仕事、という意味ですか? → そうです、ちょっとした(修復)作業、という意味です (3) after –how long has it been?のafterはどういう意味になるのでしょうか? 「(その物件に人が住まなくなって)あれから - どれくらい経つんだ?」の ”あれから” です。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

a little workというのは修復作業の事なんですね。なるほどです。わからなかった箇所を教えていただいて、内容がちゃんと掴めて良かったです。ありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• わからない箇所を教えてください。

As she talks she goes round to her bed, sits down, pulling off her trousers. ‘No – it was this business-man type, maybe forty. Such a letch. I thought I was going to get groped for sure.’ ‘Did you?’ ‘No. Spineless. I kept the second half of my Coke ready, though, so I could chuck it over him when he did. That’s probably why I’m so dehydrated.’ (前回の終わりの部分です) She stands up and pulls her shirt off over her head. I look quickly away, pretending I haven’t noticed. I know she doesn’t care – wouldn’t mind me seeing her standing there in her underwear – but I’m not sure I can carry off the pretence that I don’t care. It’s easier to look away. She says, ‘Not a bad view either. There’s a little square down there, and a tree. I think that’s a church. You know all this stuff better than I do. You’ll have to tell me about it later.’ ‘It’s a deal,’ I say, looking fixedly at the writing-desk in the corner. I hear her walk over to where the towels are laid out, bare feet padding on the stone. ‘I’d say I won’t be long, but I probably will be,’ she says, a smile in her voice. I risk looking up. She has a towel wrapped around her, and I am able to pretend that, as far as I’m aware, this is how it’s always been. ‘There’s no hurry,’ I say. ‘Take as long as you like.’ ‘Thanks. I’ll see you in a bit.’ She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。she(Anna)はAlexの幼なじみです。(Annaとの回想シーンだと思われます) ‘Not a bad view either. There’s a little square down there, and a tree. I think that’s a church. You know all this stuff better than I do. You’ll have to tell me about it later.’ のNot a bad view either.がよくわかりません。悪い眺めではない。両方とも??all this stuffのstuffとはどういう意味ですか?You’ll have to tell me about it laterのitはa churchのことですか? I’d say I won’t be long, but I probably will be,の意味は、長く生きていないでしょうと言っていました、でも多分生きます、という意味ですか?それとも長くはいないと言っていました。でも多分長くいます。という意味ですか?beの意味が漠然としててよくわかりません。 She has a towel wrapped around her, and I am able to pretend that, as far as I’m aware, this is how it’s always beenのI am able to pretend that~のところがわからないのですが、(文をつなげると、I am able to pretend that this is how it's always beenだと思うのですが)、私はこれがいかにいつものことだというふりをすることができる?という意味ですか? I am able to pretendと言っている意味がいまひとつわかりません。 ‘There’s no hurry,’ I say. ‘Take as long as you like.’ ‘Thanks. I’ll see you in a bit.’ のセリフについてですが、彼女がシャワーを浴びていて、急がないから好きなだけ浴びてていいよ、と主人公が言って、彼女がちょっとしたら(シャワーから出て)会いにいきます、と言っているシーンですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

"It's Alex," I say. "Alex. How's Italy?" His voice sounds very far away; a bad connection, perhaps. "It's fine." "And the house and so on? Everything sorted out all right?" "Well---" I say. "Not yet. I mean, there's---" "Is it legal stuff?" he breaks in. "You don't need to worry about that kind of thing. You've seen the attorney there?" "Yes," I say. "I got the key from him yesterday. I was going to call in again on my way back. But it's not that. It's--- the place is really run down, Max." I grope for a way to explain it to him. "I mean, it's a terrible mess. I don't think anyone would touch it the way it is at the moment." "Oh," he says. "Yes. I see. Are there structural problems?" "I don't know. I don't think so. I mean, the verandah--the one my mother had---well, that's all rotted at one end. And the chimney's broken loose. From the stove. I think a storm did that. I've hardly had a proper look---I'm going to do that today. There are bound to be other things as well. I mean, there's a window broken in the room where I slept, and the garden's---the garden's awful. It needs work doing on it, that's all. It's mostly small things." ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 "I got the key from him yesterday. I was going to call in again on my way back. But it's not that. It's--- the place is really run down, Max." のBut it's not that. は、Alexが帰りの途中で代理人に電話をしなかった(いまだにしていない)、ということですか?itとthatの代名詞が使われていてよくわからなかったのですが。 "I mean, it's a terrible mess. I don't think anyone would touch it the way it is at the moment." のat the momentは、「今の所は」という意味だと思うのですが、 I don't think anyone would touch it at the moment.とすると 全体の意味が変わってしまうのでしょうか? the way it is at the moment.の個所について、なぜthe way it isが入っているのかがわかりません。 最後の方にあるIt needs work doing on it, that's all.のon itは庭で、ということですか?workは単に作業の意味でしょうか?修理ですか?that's allとありますがthatはAlexが話した家の壊れた個所のことですか?それですべてだよ、みたいな。 たくさんになってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘But it looks like a river. And there’s a bridge.’ ‘Sometimes there’s water in it,’ she says. ‘When the storms come. But most of the time it’s dry. It’s not really a river, you see, it’s just a place where the water runs when it rains in the hills.’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Oh,’ I say. I am slightly disappointed that there’s no water, but the not-a-river is peculiar and a little magical. I let my gaze travel up along its length, tracing the course back up through the valley. It twists and meanders from side to side a bit, but I can make out its paler route among the dark earth and grey-green grasses and scrub right up towards the foothills of the valley’s end. Just at the point where it fades from sight, I can see a little building: white walls and rust-coloured roof, standing alone in the middle of nowhere. ‘What’s that?’ ‘Where?’ she asks. I point, and she bends her head down to follow the line of my arm. ‘That. The little house.’ ‘Oh,’ she says. ‘That’s not a house. That’s a church.’ She pauses for a moment. ‘Well, rightly it’s more like a chapel. That’s a small church. It’s not used now. You know the church in the town?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘People go there. The chapel – well, it’s a ruin now. Not many people live up that end of the valley any more.’ ‘Mm,’ I say. ‘There’s a story about that place,’ she says after a second. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 It twists and meanders from side to side a bit, but I can make out its paler route among the dark earth and grey-green grasses and scrub right up towards the foothills of the valley’s end.の中に出てくるscrubの意味がわかりません。make outは見分けるでしょうか? ‘Well, rightly it’s more like a chapel. That’s a small church. It’s not used now. You know the church in the town?’ というセリフがありますが、You know the church in the town?のthe churchは二人が見つけた教会のことを指しているのでしょうか?それとも一般的にある町の教会を指しているのでしょうか? theがついているのでよくわからなくなってしまったのですが、二人が見つけた教会はIt’s not used nowと言っていて、You know the church in the town?のセリフの後にPeople go there.と言っているので一般的にある町の教会の方でしょうか? Not many people live up that end of the valley any more.のupはどのように意味をとるのでしょうか?その谷の終わりの上の方にはもはやたくさんの人は住んでいません? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Hello,’ he says. ‘Who’re you?’ A quick flood of warmth comes with the words: he speaks like Lena – Italian. ‘I’m Alex,’ I say. ‘Hello.’ ‘I’m Jamie. Pleased to meet you,’ he adds, formally. Then he says, ‘How did you get up there?’ ‘It’s not as high this side.’ ‘What’s back there?’ ‘Rocks,’ I say. ‘And lizards.’ ‘Really?’ I can see him looking at the wall, which must be almost hidden from him by bushes and flowers, looking for a way up. ‘My garden has a tree,’ I explain. ‘You climb that, then you climb the wall.’ ‘There’s nothing here,’ he says, sounding frustrated. Then, ‘Wait – I know.’ He looks up at me again. ‘You’ll stay there?’ ‘OK.’ ‘Won’t be long.’ He turns and runs away across the lawn to the side of the house, and disappears from sight there. I cling on where I am, wondering what he is going to do. It is like a puzzle, like one of the ones my father gives me to stimulate my mind. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) A quick flood of warmth comes with the wordsとはどういう感じなのでしょうか?言葉と一緒に暖かさのすばやい洪水がやってくる?? ‘How did you get up there?' ‘It's not as high this side.' ‘What's back there?' ‘Rocks,' I say. ‘And lizards.' のやりとりがちょっとよく理解できているかわからないのですが。 「きみはどうやってそこへ登って来たの?」 「こっちの側のように高くないんだ」 「そこの後ろに何があるの?」 「岩だよ」僕は言う。「それからとかげ」 こんな感じですか?? It is like a puzzle, like one of the ones my father gives me to stimulate my mind.とあるのですが、Itが指すものは何になるのでしょうか?I cling on where I am, wondering what he is going to do.(自分がいる場所にしがみついて、彼が何をするつもりでいるのかと不思議がっていること)ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

In your head is the key. And I know in that moment that Jamie has already understood me better than my parents and everyone else ever have. I meet his eyes with a surge of gratitude pushing up inside me. I want to say something, but I can’t imagine what.(前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Hey,’ he says. ‘I know.’ His eyes are suddenly bright with inspiration. ‘Ask if I can come over to your house this weekend. To stay, I mean. There’s an annual in one of the boxes with whole stories in it – fourteen episodes, one after the other, so you don’t have to wait a week or find the next issue. I could read it to you, if you want.’ He says this last almost shyly, as if he’s afraid I might say no. ‘That would be great!’ I say. ‘I really like them.’ ‘Yeah,’ he says. ‘Me too.’ Downstairs I hear the sounds of people moving about – his parents, I suppose. He glances towards the door and sighs. ‘It’s time for lunch,’ he says. ‘I’d better go.’ ‘Oh. And me,’ I say. ‘But I’ll see you later.’ ‘Yeah.’ ‘Don’t forget to ask about the weekend,’ he says. ‘Ask if I can stay the night.’ ‘I will,’ I promise. In the darkness, there is the shape of a figure: pale, outlined against the shadows. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 There’s an annual in one of the boxes with whole stories in it – fourteen episodes, one after the other, so you don’t have to wait a week or find the next issue. の個所は、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? annualは年刊の、という意味ですか?? 教えてください。お願いします。

• It takesについてお尋ねします。

it takesについてご教授お願いいたします。 バイク屋に1「How long will it take for the bike to arrive?」と聞く場合や、 2「”Can I walk there?” ”It's too far to walk. You'd better take a taxi." "How long does it take from here?」1及び2の文の場合のitは形式主語(目的語)どちらなのでしょうか? またHow long does it take from here?は何が省略されitの役割は何でしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• How long has passed ~? は正しい?

現在完了文で、 How long has it been since you came to this town? はよく見ますが、 How long has(have?) passed since you came to this town? で同じ意味を表すことはできるのでしょうか? 教えてください。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

And Alan Harper wants you to say something at a kind of drinks and vol-au-vents bash, which I know isn’t your kind of thing, but would be very good for the momentum of it all. It’s – wait a moment – it’s two days before, on the twenty-second. It shouldn’t be too difficult. Alex? Alex, are you there?’(前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘Look, Max – I’m not sure—’ ‘I can get you out of it if you’re really not happy, but I think it would do us a lot of good. Get you some more sales. Get me some more commission. Please all of the people all of the time.’ ‘I didn’t mean the party. I meant – I was trying to say that I’m not sure I can be back tomorrow. It’s got complicated this end. I may have to stay a while longer.’ I have no idea why I say it. The words are out of my mouth before I’ve even thought them through. There is a sharp silence. At last he says, ‘Alex, how long are you talking about? The weekend?’ ‘Maybe,’ I say. ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Well, that’s all right – just. But let’s not cut things too close here. This is the big one, remember?’ ‘Sure,’ I say. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 最初にある、‘Look, Max – I’m not sure—’ のLookと言っているのはどういう意味なのでしょうか?辞書には、命令形で(しばしば怒りやいらだちを示して)ほら、いいかい、とあったのですが、その意味になるのでしょうか? Get you some more sales. Get me some more commission. Please all of the people all of the time.’ここは、you get~、I get~と読むのでしょうか?Get you~、Get me~の形がよくわからないのですが。 また、 Please all of the people all of the time.は、人々たちのすべてと、時間のすべてを得よう(get)みたいな意味ですか? It’s got complicated this end. はどういうことを言っているのでしょうか?this endとは? There is a sharp silence.のa sharp silenceというのはどんな沈黙なのでしょうか?sharpの意味がよくわかりません。 how long are you talking about? The weekend?どのくらい話してる?週末?という訳ですか? 意味が通じない感じです。 But let’s not cut things too close here.は、のtoo closeのところの意味がとりわけわかりません。今まで計画立ててきた事を間近に迫ったここで切らないようにしよう、みたいなことを言っているのでしょうか? セリフのところがほとんどよく意味がとれません。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘Are you sure you can remember all this?’ ‘You have to concentrate, Alex,’ my father is saying. ‘How can you remember things if you don’t concentrate?’ ‘I try,’ I say. ‘Well, try trying a bit harder.’(前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Alex?' ‘I'll remember,' I say again. ‘Well, it doesn't matter if you don't. I can give you a copy on Thursday. Did you know there were trilaterally symmetrical forms in your paintings?' I can tell he's joking. ‘Yes,' I say. ‘Fruit segments, sometimes. Some other stuff.' ‘Really? I didn't know that. Well well. And last of all – there are others, like I said, but these are the ones she's keenest to get you to talk about –starbursts and seedheads; dandelions particularly, apparently, and motifs with the same shape-patterns as dandelion seedheads. So. Think you can come up with something for her?' *【In my head there is a ghost of a voice: my voice, lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time. It's still a crap joke, Jamie, I hear myself saying; and a moment later, there is the ghost of Jamie's voice also: All the best ones are.】 I say, ‘I'll try.' ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 *【】の個所は、以前質問させていただいた部分です。 Well, it doesn't matter if you don't. のyou don'tのところは動詞が続いていないのですが、「君(Alex)が僕(Max)の言ったことを忘れないなら問題ないよ」という意味になるのでしょうか? I can give you a copy on Thursday. Did you know there were trilaterally symmetrical forms in your paintings?' I can tell he's joking. で、I can tell he's jokingと言っているのはどういうジョークをMaxが言っているのでしょうか?(どの部分がジョークと言えるようになっているのでしょうか?そもそもDid you know there were~と聞くこと自体がナンセンスみたいなことなのでしょうか?) Did you know there were trilaterally symmetrical forms in your paintings?' ‘Yes,' I say. ‘Fruit segments, sometimes. Some other stuff.' ‘Really? I didn't know that. Well well. And last of all – there are others,~ ここのやり取りの内容が掴めないのですが、三辺が対照的な形が果物の部分にある、という事をAlexが答えていて、本当に?それは知らなかった、とMaxが言っている感じみたいなのですが、ジョークをジョークで返した?ということなのでしょうか?? sometimesはときどき、たまには、という意味ですか? たまに、果物の部分に三辺が対照的な形があるよ、ということですか? Think you can come up with something for her?の個所は、本来はDo you think~なのでしょうか?Thinkが前に出て来ているのはなぜなのでしょうか?(命令形?) 意味は、「彼女に何かを示すことができると思う?」ということですか? たくさんの質問になってしまってすみません。 教えてください。

• 「~と会ってからどれぐらいになる?」

次の英訳は正しいですか? How long has it been when I met your daughter. (→画像と同じ文。画像のあるサイトは 「どれぐらい会っていない英語」でgoogle検索) How long have been since I met your daughter. 上の2つは同じ意味に見て取れますでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。