• ベストアンサー

carelessness 「不注意」

●It is said that most of the traffic accidents are due to carelessness on the part of the drivers.(交通事故の大部分は運転者の側の不注意のせいだと言われる) 上の文中の carelessness に、なぜ the をつけてはダメなのですか?

• mkfdh
  • お礼率61% (1095/1776)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.1

ダメというわけではないですが、定冠詞をつけるとcarelessnessの種類が特定される感じになります。可算名詞なら無冠詞複数になるところですが、それと同じ感じで不可算ですので無冠詞単数になります。

mkfdh
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。ご説明は非常に分かりやすくて参考になりました。

その他の回答 (1)

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.2

そもそも、この文脈は、一般論を述べているのであって、誰か特定な人のcarelessnessということでもなく、また、一定の決まったcrelessnessということにもならないわけで、そうなると、theというのは無理だということになります。

mkfdh
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。やはりtheは不適切だと分かりました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の添削をお願いします。

日本文を英語に直す問題です。添削をお願いします。 ※魚が健康には一番よいと言われている。 It is said that the fish is the best for health と It is said that fish are the most healthy ですと、どちらが文法的に合っていますか? また、fishの前にはtheを付けるのか、単数扱いなのか、複数扱いなのか 教えていただけると助かります。 よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳お願いします。

先程の続きです。日本語に訳してほしいです。 “These patterns are set sort of early,” said Tom Vanderbilt, the author of “Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us).” “You see a lot more boys killed running into traffic,” he said. This is partly because boys are given more “freedom to roam,” and the culture expects them to take more risks, Mr. Vanderbilt said. “That pattern is set early but continues through every sort of life stage, including driving,” he said. While the experts seem to consider aggression a bad thing, many male drivers thought it was a strength. “On the road, I think the most important things are intuition and aggressiveness,” said Mark Volinsky, 24, who has been driving for six years. “It’s hard even for me to conjure those up driving around the city, so I can’t imagine someone like my 45-year-old mom being able to function in that kind of dog-eat-dog environment.”

• 英訳アドバイスお願いします。

パリは春が一番美しいそうだ。 1 It is said that Paris is most beautiful in the spring. 2 Paris is said to be most beautiful in the spring. どちらが適切かしら? 私は不定詞受動よりも It that節のほうがしっくり行くような気がするのですが・・・

• 至急日本語訳お願いします。

“These patterns are set sort of early,” said Tom Vanderbilt, the author of “Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us).” “You see a lot more boys killed running into traffic,” he said. This is partly because boys are given more “freedom to roam,” and the culture expects them to take more risks, Mr. Vanderbilt said. “That pattern is set early but continues through every sort of life stage, including driving,” he said. While the experts seem to consider aggression a bad thing, many male drivers thought it was a strength. “On the road, I think the most important things are intuition and aggressiveness,” said Mark Volinsky, 24, who has been driving for six years. “It’s hard even for me to conjure those up driving around the city, so I can’t imagine someone like my 45-year-old mom being able to function in that kind of dog-eat-dog environment.”

• 英語の質問です

One out of three motor-car accidents is caused by a teen-age driver. It is one of the most important events that have happened this year. の二つの文で、どちらも~のうちの1つという意味なのに最初の文はis(単数形)で、後の文ではhave(複数形)になるのは何故でしょうか??

• 次の3文の英文の間違っている箇所を教えてください!

分からなくて困っています。教えてくださると嬉しいです! よろしくお願いします! 1 Though our industrious president told us how to be successive businessmen, we found it necessary to make a considerable effort. (の文中のindutriousかsuccessiveかnecessaryかconsiderable) 2 We are inclined to think of freedom to be the absence of obstacles to doing what we want to . (の文中のinclined toかto beかabsence ofかto doing) 3 With so many people dying in a traffic accidents each year, the government might be tempted to be imposed much stricter regulations on drivers. (の文中のWithかdyingかtemptedかto be imposed) 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします!

• 英語の置き換え問題。

分からなくて困っています。 分かる方教えてください。 次の文がほぼ同じ意味になるよう( )内に適切な一語をいれなさい。 (1)The stream was so narrow that he could jump across it. →The stream was narrow ( ) ( ) him ( ) jump across. (2)It is said that she robbed him of his wallet. →She is said ( ) ( ) ( ) him of his wallet. (3)It is danjerous forchildren to play with lighters. →Lighters are ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) . 意味も付けて頂けると嬉しいです!!

• 英語の問題がわからないので教えてください

()の単語の品詞と意味を答えろ。 この問題わからないので教えてください 1you are on a (train) 2the children have to (train)very hard 3 you are on a train that (runs)past 4 how businesses are (run) 5 Children enjoy learning about trains and are happy to (work) 6 most of the (work)is done by children 7 At (present )most of the work is done 8 though adult are also (present)

• ビジネスレターの訳について・・・

以下の文章の意味は 「Requestの期限はもともと12/31だったが、2/1以降になった」という解釈でいいのでしょうか? ・・・ The second request is that reorganization is going very fast . First request was December 31st. It will be only over on February 1st, due to the annual closure in the beginning of January. 文中のonlyとoverがどういう働きをしているのかわかりません・・・

• 文の仕組みを教えてください。

(1)We often hear it said that the Japanese are a diligent people. 「日本人は勤勉な国民だと言われるのをよく聞く」 形式目的語というのを勉強しました。この構造は We(主語)hear (動詞)it (形式目的語that以下)→ここからわかりません。saidってなんですか?よくよく見る文ですが、We hear it is said that ~なら英作文しやすいのに、isをすぐ入れたくなります。saidの役目を教えてください。