• 締切済み

Blocked In for Prayer

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/29/blocked-in-for-prayer/?_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=nyregion&_r=0 上記の新聞記事について、お教え下さい。 1) 2番目の段落で下記の所の最初の was は不要? My was initial reaction was self-righteous 2) 4番目の段落の下記のnumbersは1番目の段落のby a couple of taxis. の車の番号の事だろうか? I explained my situation and offered the numbers of the taxis. 3) 5番目の段落で邪魔をしていたタクシーの運転手が下記の様に申し出ている。投稿者は自分の車を使っていたはず。何かおかしい気がする。 In fact, the driver of cab G421, one of two who had parked me in, offered to take me where I needed to go. 下記は投稿に対するコメントの一つであるが、この様に考えていいように思うが? The offer to take him anywhere he wanted was ironic and valueless to the writer. 質問は以上のです。 宜しくお願いします。 ---以下はこの投稿に対する3つのコメントです。--- ---1番目のコメント--- MP San Diego, CA 6 hours ago Nice story. But being a non-New Yorker I am a little confused: - What is a 7pm spot - If you were blocked in by a couple of taxis I then assumed you had a parked car that was blocked - Once they unblocked can't you just drive anywhere on your own without relying on his offer to take you anywhere - Can't you leave the guitar and gig bag in the car trunk without lugging them around So maybe you didn't have a vehicle. But then what does being blocked in mean? ---2番目のコメント--- steve l is a trusted commenter Chestnut Ridge, NY 5 hours ago A 7 pm spot is one that becomes legal after 7 pm. (It's usually occupied with the driving waiting inside by 6:30.) The writer was indeed in such a vehicle. The offer to take him anywhere he wanted was ironic and valueless to the writer. Why he didn't put his instrument into the trunk of the car is a mystery, however. ---3番目のコメント--- Mrsteve12 New Jersey 6 hours ago And so, here's another instance where New Yorker's work through their impatience and anger by simply waiting out the situation and going with the flow. I'l bet he now has a better understanding and tolerance of other's culture. Both sides are the better for it. ---

• binm
  • お礼率92% (174/188)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数8

みんなの回答

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

1。  おっしゃる通り不要です。 2。  はい、そうです。 3。  「投稿者は自分の車を使っていたはず。何かおかしい気がする」のは当然ですが、ま、タクシイの運転手があげられる好意の手段と言えば「ただで乗せてあげます」程度でしょう。     したがって、「京の茶漬け」は日本だけじゃないと言うことでしょう。The offer to take him anywhere he wanted was ironic and valueless to the writer.は「じゃ、一杯いただきましょう」と腰を据えるのも、日本だけじゃないことを示しています。

binm
質問者

お礼

いつもお世話になります。 私は英語で書かれている文章は「文法的にも、論理的にも正しい」と思ってしまう未熟者の様です。(was は「これは間違い」とすぐ判りましたが) N.Y.Times のこの欄は時々面白い記事に出くわします。 投稿文も面白いですが、コメントも面白いですね ご回答有難う御座いました。

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.1

1) 2番目の段落で下記の所の最初の was は不要? My was initial reaction was self-righteous →そう思います。ここにwasがあるとめちゃくちゃです。 2) 4番目の段落の下記のnumbersは1番目の段落のby a couple of taxis. の車の番号の事だろうか? I explained my situation and offered the numbers of the taxis. →その通り、自分の車を前後から挟んでいる2台のタクシーの番号だと思います。 3) 5番目の段落で邪魔をしていたタクシーの運転手が下記の様に申し出ている。投稿者は自分の車を使っていたはず。何かおかしい気がする。 In fact, the driver of cab G421, one of two who had parked me in, offered to take me where I needed to go. →説明不足で、矛盾しているような文章だと思います。 このタクシーの運転手は、筆者が自動車を停めていることを知らないで言っているのではないか、とか思いましたが、果たして真相はいかに。まあ、筆者、何かうっかりして文章を書いている感じが否めません。筆者の失態というのが正しいところかと思います。myもひどいし。 以上、ご参考になればと思います。

binm
質問者

お礼

私は英語で書かれている文章は「文法的にも、論理的にも正しい」と思ってしまう未熟者の様です。(was は「これは間違い」とすぐ判りましたが) 記者が書く記事は、校正されるのでこの様なことはないと思いますが、文章が長く、回りくどくて、全部読むのは私には大変です。 読者投稿文は短く、回りくどくないので読み易い感じです。 校正などあるのかな? でも今回の様な文章を読むのも勉強になるような気がします。 どうも有難う御座いました。

関連するQ&A

• in the barest of senses

Back in October, my boyfriend essentially ended our three-and-a-half-year relationship. He said he couldn’t do it anymore, wasn’t happy, and found someone else even though (as he would admit) I gave him no reason to be unhappy. He stayed around to offer me moral support; my college graduation was coming up in December and I was a mess. But he replaced me with a girl he’d known for six months, pushing me off and rescheduling things with me for this other girl even though he and I were still together in the barest of senses. in the barest of sensesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。 it’s in part

英文の和訳をお願いします。 it’s in part it’s in part because he’s very drawn in to the best idea in the room. he is, great film makers are intent on finding the best version of their film and the better version of their film. If you can find a better take 2 than take 1, you’re hungry for it. プロデューサーが、同じ仕事に携わったある監督についてコメントしています。 自分なりに調べてみたのですが、意味がどうしても理解できません。 宜しくお願いします!

• inについて

He was honest, clean, and clever. But one very important quality in men of good position he had never learnt , and that quality was politeness. in men of good position のところがよくわかりません。このinは何ですか? quality in~というかたちはないですよね?よろしくお願いします。

• 今この人の親父みたいな人はいるのでしょうか

It often amazed me, and I am still unable to understand the fact, that my Father, through his long life — or until nearly the close of it — continued to take an eager pleasure in the text of the Bible. As I think I have already said, before he reached middle life, he had committed practically the whole of it to memory, and if started anywhere, even in a Minor Prophet, he could go on without a break as long as ever he was inclined for that exercise.

• 英文の翻訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His father was a man who was Tall, and moderately fat with large eyes and black hair and a long banana or crescent moon shaped face. A proud looking man. He had trouble with one of his knees and his leg was a bit weak or crooked. He had a hospitable and generous nature. He tried to mould the minds of his children into the right direction in life. Married late in life to a woman of superior position and his past was not so good. He could be melancholic and liked to study or read in the silence of his own chamber with a lamp, which his children were not welcome to disrupt. He was stricter and sharp with the children when they were small. but, gentler when they were older and behaved better. He could be merry, eat drink and have fun and include the children. He felt happy amongst his family and children. He was intuitive and had a spiritual side.

• IN WHAT WAS

Still, Dubai's need to turn to its oil-rich neighbor has led to a crisis of confidence in what was, until recently, a swaggering society, and there's now plenty of fear that all those dreams and plans will end in tears. すみません教えてください(´_`。)  けれどもドバイがオイル富豪の隣人に頼る必要性があるという事実は信用危機を引き起こした, IN WHAT WAS, 最近まで・・・・・ この IN WHAT WASが はっきりわかりません。 どなたか教えてください(´_`。)

• for the booksの意味

Getting on one knee and popping the big question is not as easy as it may seem. Not only does it take a lot of effort to work up the nerve to propose, it takes a lot of planning! Of course, you always have the option to take the simple route: take her out to dinner, get on one knee, and ask, "Will you marry me?" Or you can be creative (which is what most girls prefer) and make the proposal a memory for the books. この文のfor the booksとは何のことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• sunken-in eyes

My 27-year-old cousin “Joe” struggled with back pain after playing football in college, and in the last several years he has developed an addiction to prescription painkillers. When he attended family functions, we noticed he had lost a significant amount of weight, had sunken-in eyes, was very depressed, and had lost his job. sunken-in eyesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします。

One Saturday Tom takes Jiro to a food court for lunch. A:Wow! What a big place! You can find almost anything here, can't you? B:Yeah. But you're probably going to order a hamburger, aren't you? A:Just a minute.Yeah, I'll have a hamburger, two pieces of pizza, a tuna sandwiches and strawberry ice cream. B:Hey! Take it easy! You're not going to have all that for lunch, are you? A:Yeah. Maybe you're right. I'll just have two cheeseburgers, two pieces of pizza and a banana split. B:You'll get fat if you eat like that. In fact, you'll get fatter and fatter and won't be able to get into the plane when you have to go back to Japan. A:OK,OK! Just one cheeseburger with French fries, a hot dog with ketchup and mustard and a large cola float. Of course, everything was much larger than in Japan. The cheeseburger was almost bigger than the plate, the hot dog was a foot long, and the cola float was a giant. A was able to finish everything, but he didn't want any dinner that evening. The next time he didn't order so much. He didn't want to become the fattest boy in New York.

• in the right

I need counsel on how to deal with a persistently creepy colleague in the arts community who styles himself my “fan.” Happily, I don’t have to see him daily, but he sends me regular (unanswered!) emails and messages that make my skin crawl. Part of the trouble is that they aren’t exactly creepy stalker emails; he is trying to make it seem like an ongoing, two-sided conversation and an appeal to our shared artistic interests—and there are people in our circle who seem fine with him. Recently, he has begun to use my professional achievements as pretexts to make contact and seems to be trying to force a response. For instance, after congratulating me in person for a promotion in a sexist way, he sent me a lengthy email explaining why he was perfectly in the right. in the rightは単にrightと言うのとは何が違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします