What Does 'For the Books' Mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the meaning of the phrase 'for the books' and how it relates to proposal planning.
  • Understand the significance of making a proposal 'a memory for the books'.
  • Discover why being creative and thoughtful in proposing is important to most people.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

for the booksの意味

Getting on one knee and popping the big question is not as easy as it may seem. Not only does it take a lot of effort to work up the nerve to propose, it takes a lot of planning! Of course, you always have the option to take the simple route: take her out to dinner, get on one knee, and ask, "Will you marry me?" Or you can be creative (which is what most girls prefer) and make the proposal a memory for the books. この文のfor the booksとは何のことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4115/5350)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

for the books は、下記のように「特筆すべき」で、元々は、「(毎日どこでもあるような日常茶飯事ではなく)本にして(歴史に)残すような」という意味です。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=for+the+books

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。自分で調べるべきでした。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#232424
noname#232424
回答No.2

全体的に「求婚するのは至難のわざだ」という文章ですよね。最後の1節の意味は,「求婚を彼女の脳裏に刻まれる名演技にする」くらいだろうと思います。for the books は熟語で「特筆すべき」。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。自分で調べるべきでした。

関連するQ&A

• お金

$3.33って3ドル33セントですよね?? 簡単ですいません(T_T) 後 今日友達にIf you take that class you have to do a paper on one of the cultures you study. it takes a lot of time to finish.と言ったんですが文法的な間違いはありませんか? 自分ではあるかわからなくて…

• itが指すものは?お願いします。

以下の英文は、ある海外のリゾートに泊まった人がそのホテルについて感想を書いたものです。 Oakmont is not a fancy resort, the units are small, and the view from the resort is not that great. It is comfortable and it is convenient to get into and get out of as you travel to the area attractions. This is one of those resorts that you choose because of the location, not the resort amenities. 質問は it is convenient to get into and get out of as you travel to the area attractions. という文についてです。 最初のitは何を指しているのでしょうか? 単純に形式主語としてto get into and get out of を指しているのでしょうか? それともthe hotelのようなものを指しているのでしょうか?(This book is difficult to readのような構文みたいに)

• 和訳が分かりません。

下記の英文の和訳をお願いします>< ・It is clear that the starting point for internationalization and the development of a sense of being a world citizen is the attitude each of one of you takes. ・The greater your knowledge and understanding, the more you can contribute, not only by the firmness of your own beliefs, but by your ability to set an example for others. ・No organized system induces people to take the next step to a concern about the world and humanity as a whole, even though ir is now quite evident that the unit of survival is becoming, not the individual country, but the world as a whole. ・It is not at all surprising that the Japanese should have developed one of the most distinctive cultures in the world and particularly strong sense of self-identity.

• 英文、熟語の意味 

この英文の意味がわからなくて困っています。特にWhile working on that dream has worked onとはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 1While working on that dream has worked on films, albums, clothes, books and one heavy facepainting session for clients またone heavy facepainting sessionとは何のことですか? 2when not making images he is making music for the great lakes and trying to take a lighter look at life のgreat lakesとはどのような意味ですか?直訳ではないなにか違う意味があるのでしょうか?trying to take a lighter look at lifeとはどのような意味あいがあるのでしょうか? どうかどなたか教えてください。

• 英語を訳していただきたいです。

ある長文の中である五つの例文を訳していただきたいです。 1.But one is the richer in true and useful wisdom, the more one reads. 2.There are so many good books in the world that it is foolish to waste time on one that does not give you pleasure and profit (unless reading it is a requirement to pass an examination, or something like that). 3.However, if you find yourself bored by a book that many well-informed people regard as important and readable, be fair with yourself and confess that perhaps the shortcoming is not in the book but in you. 4.A book which now seems dull or difficult will prove easy to grasp and fascinating to read when you are more mature intellectually. 5.They lack the background and the maturity of mind necessary to meet the author of the book on his own intellectual level. 長ったらしいですが、分かる方は教えていただきたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳をお願いしたいです。翻訳サイトのコピペはご遠慮ください。

Consider an example closer to hand. You are reading a book printed on paper, though the same book also exists as a file on the computer I used to write it. It is more efficient to electronically mail this digital version to you than to print the file on paper, truck it to a warehouse, store it on a bookshelf, and wait for you to go to a bookstore and buy the book. If you could access the information content of a book as bits over a computer network, not only would it be far cheaper: books printed on paper might even become obsolete. The same holds true for music information sold as cassettes or CDs, for scholarly information published journals, and so on. お願いいたします。

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい

英語圏の取引先から下記のようなメールが来ました。相手とはフェイスブックのアカウントとホームページの件で話し合いをしていました。フェイスブックとホームページの作成の事だと思います。なんとなくはわかりましたがすみませんが詳しい方教えて下さい。お願いします。 First please like this facebook page and we will add you as an admin. http://facebook.com/00000japan From my understanding point you are free to add or update any contents (anything about 会社名) on your facebook and you are also free to translate our facebook pages and use it. Second here is your FTP access information. Url: 222222 Id: 111111 Pass: 0000 Third I understand that making a web site takes time and a lot of money, but nowadays there is a lot of free solution that you can use to build. Here I’ll list some of them but if you can find anything that’s better for you please use them. https://wordpress.com/ http://www.weebly.com/ http://www.squarespace.com/ At last you mentioned “Is it possible to share the website as well as stock?” Can you please explain more about this? Hope to hear it from you soon. Thank you

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入しました。商品のインボイスの事でメールが来ました。すみませんが意味を教えてくれませんか?お願いします。 All invoices already have the discount included in them apart from one of them which has sales items on it and we do not do further discount on already discounted items. Please check attachment. As for the credit note for the missing styles last time, you need to pass to your accountant the credit note that I have emailed to you. This cannot be further deducted of the invoices on our system, and therefore it is on a separate sheet. I have put the information of the discount on the 2 invoices. Please check and let me know if that will suffice.

• 英文の構造と意味について質問があります。

The need to take this time and create a situation of physical stability for ourselves and our families seemed to follow naturally from a period of frequently moving around as bachelors and making our records in makeshift studios この場合、SはThe needですよね。The needに対して、不定詞で、 to take this time and create a situation of physical stability for ourselves and our families これが修飾している。 VはseemedでCがto follow そしてfrom以下で修飾ですよね。 シンプルに考えると、The need seemed to follow naturally これでどういった意味になりますか・・・? Every one of our projects is being preceded by a period of building a greater sample library. The library has always been our primary instrument and it takes several months to get to a substantial and meaningful increase of volume: raw materials, like LPs and audiocassettes The library=a greater sample libraryですよね。 問題は次のit takes several monthsのit ですが、これは何を指していますか? 私はEvery one of our projectsだと思っています。 Every one of our projects takes several months to get to a substantial and meaningful increase of volume. これもどういった意味になるでしょうか・・・? increase of volumeが肝だと思うのですがどうも解釈しきれません。

• 英作文についてです

英作文の採点をしてほしいです。 問題 次の問いかけに英語で答えなさい。 1) Is it difficult for you to live without TV? -No,it isn't. There are a lot of informations on TV. But I can see it on newspapers and the Internet.So It isn't difficult for me to live without TV. 2) Do you often read books when you have free time? -Yes,I do.I can get to a lot of things from books. And they make me happy.So I like to read books very much.