My Journey of Absorbing Japanese: A Surprising Discovery

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Three months after arriving in Japan, a seemingly ordinary day on the streetcar changed everything. An elderly woman sat down next to me and engaged in conversation entirely in Japanese. Surprisingly, I found myself understanding bits and pieces of what she said. This eye-opening experience marked the beginning of my deep immersion into the Japanese language and culture.
  • On a typical day commuting to work, a chance encounter with an elderly woman on a streetcar transformed my language learning journey. Despite my initial lack of understanding, I smiled and nodded as she spoke in Japanese. Little did I know, I was absorbing more than just words - I was immersing myself in an entirely new cultural experience that would shape my future.
  • It was a regular day on the streetcar when a serendipitous encounter changed my perspective on learning Japanese. Sitting beside me was an elderly woman who engaged me in conversation, completely in Japanese. Although I initially struggled to comprehend, a wave of understanding washed over me as I began to grasp snippets of her words. This pivotal moment unleashed my passion for the Japanese language and ignited my desire to dive deeper into the rich tapestry of its culture.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

ちょっと長いですが…。和訳お願いします。

One day about three months after I first arrived in Japan, I suddenly realized I was absorbing Japanese. On that day I was riding on a streetcar on my way to work. An elderly woman entered at one of the stops and sat down right next to me in the empty car. When I was addressed entirely in Japanese, I cut her off with zenzenwakarimasen. This didn't seem to discourage her from continuing to talk. I just smiled and nodded as she spoke and felt relieved when we arrived at her stop. Once alone, I realized that I had understand some of what she had said, and that the entire conversation had been in Japanese. This sudden awareness was exhilarating. From that moment on, I could no longer resist being swept up in the currents of Japanese language and culture.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

日本に始めて来て約3ヶ月後のある日、私は自分が日本語を吸収していることに突然気がついた。 その日私は仕事に行くために路面電車に乗っていた。ある停留所でおばあさんが乗ってきて、空っぽの電車のなかの私のすぐ隣の席に腰掛けた。 まったく日本語だけで話しかけられて、私は「全然わかりません」と彼女を遮った。 彼女はひるむ様子も見せずにしゃべり続けた。 彼女が話している間、私はただ笑ってうなずくだけ。彼女が降りる停留所に着いたとき、私はほっとした。 一人になった時、私は、彼女が言ったことの一部を自分が理解していたこと、そして会話はずっと日本語だったことに気がついた。 そのことに突然気がついて、私は爽快な気分になった。 その瞬間から、私は、押し寄せてくる日本語と日本の文化の中で自分が流されていくことを止めることが、もはやできなくなった。

その他の回答 (1)

• oignies
  • ベストアンサー率20% (673/3354)
回答No.2

回答1でおおかたあっているのですが、結果部分の英語の意味が正しく訳されていないのでそこのみ。 以来、わたしは、日本語と日本の文化の奔流のなかに飲み込まれることに対して抗うことがまったくできなくなった。 です。 もうちょっといえば、冒頭、absorb Japaneseは日本語を会得する、くらいの意味です。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします

長文でごめんなさい。 和訳お願いします。 I convinced myself that people in Japan could speak English. If they couldn't, I was planning on teaching it on them so that I wouldn't have to learn Japanese. Almost immediately upon my arrival on that cold, wet July day, I realized, when nobody spoke English, that learning Japanese might be a good idea. In spite of what I understood logically, I made very little if any effort to do so. On one level, I wanted to be included in the culture, but on another, I felt comfortable remaining outside it. I was also convinced that it would be almost impossible for me to learn Japanese.

• 和訳お願いします。

I started studying Japanese language in 1974, in a Tokyo university with many other foreign students. Although the tests and lessons were well-designed, I was soon quite frustrated and dissatisfied with my progress in that situation. Most of my classmates were also non-Japanese, so the dangerous tendency was to speak in English or French outside of classes. Except for the small number who wanted to "brush up their English," the normal Japanese students refused to associate with the illiterate foreigners. I soon found that I had gravitated to a small group of Koreans and Hawaiians, who agreed to speak only in Japanese. However, I felt that my Japanese was not likely to improve much without native speakers as models. I was depressed by the number of Americans concerned only with obtaining as much money, sex, marijuana, or media-coverage as they could obtain during their year in Japan, rather than really trying to appreciate the culture in which they were guests. So I began to look around for a more isolated university which would admit and teach Japanese to foreigners, but without the problems of Tokyo's "international set."

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

I was in the cafe by the north entrance to the station, reading my paper and having a coffee .I had an appointment with a client nearby and I was killing time because I'd arrived half an hour early.I suddenly heard a terrible shout, and when I looked out of the window,I saw that a woman was in the middle of the crossing. I assumed she'd fallen off her bicycle because it was lying on the tracks and all her shopping had come out of her basket.People were calling out to her from the road.Some were telling her to stay put and others were telling her to get off the crossing. She didn't seem to know what to do.She just say there.One of the waiters in the cafe saw this and ran out to get her.

• 和訳をお願いします

When I arrived at the dormitory, a professor from the university was waiting for me. I wanted to make a good impression So I bowed and said something like "blah blah blah domo blah blah domo domo domo" I took great care to say the domo very clearly. The rest was in a very small and impossible-to-understand voice. Just the sounds. Notice that I said the last domo three times. I wanted to sound very polite. In English it would sound very strange saying thank you, thank you, thank you, so many times, but in Japanese it did not sound bad at all. Anyway, I didn't know what I was saying. The professor looked at me and smiled, "Oh! You speak Japanese very well." I was very happy. Only a few hours in the country and I was already learning the rules of Japanese politeness. Later the same day I met another professor. I bowed and again the same unrecognizable sounds and the dear domes. It worked well. This professor, too, smiled and congratulated me on the perfect Japanese I could speak. The French businessman was right. A bow and a domo, and everybody is happy.

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします 長くなってすみません(>_<) I was drinking coffee in the cafeteria when I realized something was wrong. No sonner had I smelled smoke than I heard a fire alarm go off. I hurried toward the entrance. As I got to the gift shop. I saw a lot of people running out of the lobby. Just before I turned to the left there to go the entrance, I heard a woman crying for help. The voice seemed to be coming from the lab. The corridor was already full of smoke, so I crouched down and groped through the blackness. I went into the lab, but no one was there. Then I heard the woman cry out again, so I left the lab and went tower the Women's Center. There Mrs.Robinson was, sitting in front of the door to the center. I took her by the hand and we headed for the entrance. On the way there, I looked back at the Medical Records Dept. and saw flames shooting out of the door. Later I found out that the fire had started there.

• 和訳をお願いします。

When Lusitania was built, her construction and operating expenses were subsidised by the British government, with the proviso that she could be converted to an armed merchant cruiser (AMC) if need be. A secret compartment was designed in for the purpose of carrying arms and ammunition. When war was declared she was requisitioned by the British Admiralty as an armed merchant cruiser, and she was put on the official list of AMCs. Lusitania remained on the official AMC list and was listed as an auxiliary cruiser in the 1914 edition of Jane's All the World's Fighting Ships, along with Mauretania. The Declaration of Paris codified the rules for naval engagements involving civilian vessels. The so-called Cruiser Rules required that the crew and passengers of civilian ships be safeguarded in the event that the ship is to be confiscated or sunk. These rules also placed some onus on the ship itself, in that the merchant ship had to be flying its own flag, and not pretending to be of a different nationality. Also, it had to stop when confronted and allow itself to be boarded and searched, and it was not allowed to be armed or to take any hostile or evasive actions. When war was declared, British merchant ships were given orders to ram submarines that surfaced to issue the warnings required by the Cruiser Rules. At the outbreak of hostilities, fears for the safety of Lusitania and other great liners ran high. During the ship's first east-bound crossing after the war started, she was painted in a grey colour scheme in an attempt to mask her identity and make her more difficult to detect visually. Many of the large liners were laid up in 1914–1915, in part due to falling demand for passenger travel across the Atlantic, and in part to protect them from damage due to mines or other dangers. Among the most recognisable of these liners, some were eventually used as troop transports, while others became hospital ships. Lusitania remained in commercial service; although bookings aboard her were by no means strong during that autumn and winter, demand was strong enough to keep her in civilian service. Economising measures were taken. One of these was the shutting down of her No. 4 boiler room to conserve coal and crew costs; this reduced her maximum speed from over 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph) to 21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph). With apparent dangers evaporating, the ship's disguised paint scheme was also dropped and she was returned to civilian colours. Her name was picked out in gilt, her funnels were repainted in their traditional Cunard livery, and her superstructure was painted white again. One alteration was the addition of a bronze/gold coloured band around the base of the superstructure just above the black paint.

• 英語 長文の和訳を教えてください。

the second shock was an economic shock and the direct result of a combination of american economic problem: a growing trade imbalance with japan and a dollar that had become too highly valued in the rest of the world. a package of economic policies was announced by president nixon in august that led to an immediate 10% reduction in the value of the dollar (which meant that japanese goods would be more expensive in the u.s) and a temporary 10% tax on imports. the shift in the japanese-american relationship was not only caused by the increased power of japan; america's dominant position in the world was also undergoing serious changes. the watergate scandals and the loss of the war in vietnam combined to cause the american people to lose faith in themselves and to question america's role as the leader of the western bloc. the oil crisis of 1973 added to this malaise by decreasing america's economic ability to support its overseas defense commitments. many congressmen questioned why the u.s was spending money to defend japan when it was increasingly obvious that increased japanese economic strength was one cause for the economic recession in the u.s. 長いですがよろしくお願いします!

• 和訳お願いします。

In operating the electric pen,I got my current from a Bunsen battery consisting of two glass jars, capped at the top and controlled by a plunger with which I lowered the plates into the acid solution or drew them up when the pen was not in use.Thus the life of the battery was prolonged. The pen had a needlelike point which darted in and out of the writing end so rapidly that the eye could hardly detect it. This was operated by a miniature clectric motor small enough to be attached to the upper end of the pen.The shaft containing the needle was given its motion by cams on the rotating engine shaft so that when the current was turned on,and I wrote with the pen,holding it in a vertical position, it made innumerable tiny punctures on the sheet of paper,tracing the words that comprised the letter. After the master copy of the stencil had thus been made, I took it to the 'press',where it had to be spanned in a frame before the copies could be made.A plain sheet of paper was placed on the press,the stencil was laid on top and an ink roller passed over it. The impression of the handwriting was marked on the under sheet by the ink through the holes made by the needle.It was said that 5,000 copies could be made from a single stencil.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

The little girl had apparently chosen her Barbie, a beautifully dressed, glamorous doll that would have been the envy of every little girl on the block. However, she had stopped and was watching the interchange between the little boy and his father. Rather disappointed, the boy had given up on the video games and had chosen what looked like a book of stickers instead. He and his father then started walking through another aisle of the store.  The little girl put her Barbie back on the shelf, and ran over to the Pokemon games. She excitedly picked up one that was lying on top of the other toys and raced toward the check-out, after speaking with her father.  I picked up my purchases and got in line behind them. Then, much to the little girl's obvious delight, the little boy and his father got in line behind me.After the toy was paid for and bagged, the little girl handed it back to the cashier and whispered something in her ear. The cashier smiled and put the package under the counter.

• よろしくお願いします

Aimee had not realized the extent of the damage until she went to the doctor when she was 21. She was told that her uterus might have been compromised. had not realizedは大過去でよろしいでしょうか?あと、ここのcompromisedの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします