• 締切済み

children are able...

children are able to enjoy stories almost as soon as they are able to talk. And not simply listening to stories. not simply...の所なんですが、notはsimplyを修飾し、simplyはlisteningを修飾し、全体がare able to enjoyと繋がっていると考えて、「しかも単に物語を聞いて楽しむことが出来るだけではない」と訳しました。 しかし、これだとnot simplyがare able to enjoyを修飾しているように感じられます。 どう解釈すべきなんでしょうか。

noname#195651
noname#195651
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

回答No.2

And not simply listening to stories. ただ単に聞くだけではなく、(「聞いて楽しむだけではなく」でもいいです) they are able to talk. 話すことができる と、繋がります。

回答No.1

そして、ただ物語を聞いているだけではない ??

関連するQ&A

• 日本語に訳してくださいm(_ _)m

日本語に訳してくださいm(_ _)m Independence is the reason why parents let their babies feed themselves as soon as they can and begin to make decisions for themselves almost as soon as they can talk. Most American parents feel that they have done their job well if their children are able to live on their own in their twenties. よろしくお願いします。

• この英文の文法の解説お願いします。

They are not likely to be so strange that we could not recognize them as animals. so...that~can not構文でもないし、that以下が何かを修飾しているわけでもないですよね?

• able toの関係代名詞的用法

We need to help elderly people who are not able to do household works. というような文章を、 We need to help elderly people, able to do household works. というように略して書いてある文章を見かけるのですが このような用法って正しかったでしょうか? どうやって検索すれば正しいかどうか分かりますか?

• as high as they are の意味について

With oil as high as they are and profits being squeezed, the company decided to turn down the thermostat in the building in order to save money. 上記英文の as high as they are の文法的解釈がいまいちわかりません。 they are とは何を指しているのでしょうか?私が訳すと以下のようになります↓ 「彼らと同じくらい高いオイルと、利益が縮小しているので、その会社は、お金の支出を抑えるために、そのビルのサーモスタットを弱めて使用することを決めた」 大きな誤訳はないと思うのですが、as high as they are があいまいですっきりしません。それぞれの as の品詞を含めてご説明していただけるとうれしいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• ...as we think they are.

NHKテレビ英会話講座より People are not always busy as we think they are. 人は私たちが思うほどいつも忙しいわけではない。 (質問) 部分否定の文章ですが、省略された部分があります。補足してみました。間違いはありませんか? People are not always busy as we think (that) they are(busy). 自信がないので確認したいのです。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 税務関連の英文の和訳

次の<>でくくった税務関連の英語は通常何と訳されているか、ご教示ください. <Not Ordinarily Resident> Not Ordinary Residents are able to enjoy favorable tax treatment for a period of 5 years of assessment. They will also enjoy tax-exemption for their employers’ contribution to overseas pension funds, and will be exempt from tax on the income earned before relocation to the country. よろしくお願いいたします。

• AS THEY ARE

ダライラマ14世に関する記事です。 This determination to be completely empirical - as if he were a doctor of the mind pledged to examine things only as they are, to come up with a clear diagnosis and then to suggest a practical response - is one of the things that have made the current Dalai Lama such a startling and tonic figure on the world stage. 完全に経験から言えば、この決断は - まるで彼が心のドクターで pledged to examine things only as they are, はっきりした診断を下し、実用的な対処を勧めるため - 現在のダライラマを世界的に驚くべき強壮な人物にしたもののひとつである。 ここの pledged to examine things only as they areという部分を訳してみると、"ものごとをあるがままに試験することを保証するとなってしまい、しっくりきません。 どなたか教えてください(´_`。)

• 仮定法について

I am sending two kids off to college, and my husband and I are able to pay for most of their tuition. I am allowing my children to go anywhere they want and study anything they wish. I do, however, expect that they maintain a GPA of 3.33 (B-plus) at the end of each academic year. I do not think this is unreasonable. If either of my children were to fall behind I would not withdraw funding completely but would contribute only as much as in-state tuition in our state costs. If either of my children were to fall behindのところはIf either of my children fell behindというのとはどう違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• Of these foreign-born childrenのofの意味

下記の文の「Of these foreign-born children」のofの用途は「~については、...」のような「about」に近い意味で使用されているのでしょうか? they say thirteen percent of the adopted children in the United States were born in another country. Of these foreign-born children, one-sixth are from Europe. One-third are from Latin America. And almost half are from Asia.

• they are almost sure to b

they are almost sure to buy from us starting the year next . この訳って何になると思います?DMMの英会話の英語の耳から出展です。 訳は、 彼らはほぼ確実に再来年に我々から購入し始める。 です。 何か変ですよね?starting ってどういうことです?if とかが省略されてるんですか?修飾語だとすると、 再来年始める我々からほぼ確実に購入する、ですよね? ~購入し始める、とはなりません。意訳ですか?アプリで訳させると、 彼らは私たちから次の年を始めて購入することがほぼ確実です、 になります。 また、 彼らはほぼ確実に再来年に我々から購入し始める、 の英訳は、 They almost certainly begin purchasing from us in the next year . です。これならこの訳に対して確かに納得できます。しかし、starting とかはどう考えても訳せません。というか、別の意味になってしまいます。再来年に何かを始める我々から購入する、とかになります。購入し始める、にはなりませんし、意味が全然違います。 このテキストの訳って間違いですか?