What does 'ran the plates' mean? | Explained

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the meaning of 'ran the plates' and its significance in a recent news article in Los Angeles. Discover how a routine parking enforcement turned into a surprising discovery.
  • Find out what 'ran the plates' refers to in an interesting incident that took place in Los Angeles. Learn how a stolen vehicle and an unexpected discovery came together in this story.
  • Curious about the phrase 'ran the plates'? Read on to uncover the intriguing meaning behind this expression. Explore a real-life incident where a routine task led to an astonishing revelation.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

ran the platesの意味

Every now and then, a Los Angeles Department of Transportation employee may run across a stolen car while doing routine parking enforcement. It’s just not every day that the thief is still inside the car. But that’s just what happened Monday morning, Los Angeles police said, when an LADOT worker ran the plates on a Ford F-250 pickup truck in the Carthay neighborhood of Central L.A. About 10:40 a.m., the worker ran the plates on the truck in the 1200 block of South La Jolla Avenue; it came up as a stolen vehicle. That's when the employee also noticed a person was inside the truck's cab and called police. 上記はアメリカの新聞記事の冒頭の部分です。上記の文中に「ran the plates」が2箇所あります。この部分の和訳をお教えください。

• binm
  • お礼率92% (174/188)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

run the plate というのは、自動車の番号から諸情報を引き出して照合することで、例えば、放置されている車が盗難車ではないかと言った調査を、警察が行うことです。      この場合は、まだ泥棒が車内にいる間に、ロサンジェルス市交通局員が盗難車を探し当てたと言うニュースです。     すなわち持ち主からは盗難届が出ているので、盗難車のリストには入っていたが、盗んだ方がまだ車内の物色を終わっていない時に御用となった、という話です。     「盗難車記録を照合する」と言った意味です。     

binm
質問者

お礼

詳細にご説明頂き有難うございます。 よくわかりました。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

LA運輸局の職員は定常業務としての駐車違反の取り締まりをしているときに、しばしば盗難車に遭遇する。毎日ではないが、窃盗犯が未だ盗難車両の中に居ることもある。 LA警察の警官によると 運輸局の職員が中央LAのケーシーの近所でフオード F250ピックアップトラックのナンバープレートを照合するのは月曜日の朝のこととは限らないとのこと。 一方南LAの1200番地ジョリア通りで午前10時40分に盗難車の車両ナンバープレートを検索し中に居た犯人を警察に通報した  

binm
質問者

お礼

全訳までして頂き有難うございまた。

回答No.2

自動車のナンバープレートの番号を照合することです。

binm
質問者

お礼

英辞郎でも調べたのですが、わかりませんでした。 有難うございます。

関連するQ&A

• 下記の英文を訳してくれる方はいますか?

The career In 1870 the average work career ran from the age of 14, when the worker entered the labor force, to the age of 61, when the average worker died after having worked a total of 146,640 hours for a total of $90,000 (1970 dollars). In 1970 the average career ran from about age 20 to about age 65, when the average worker retired after having worked a total of 90,000 hours for a total of $360,000. お願いします。

• 中学レベルの英文の意味を教えて下さい。

" I am certain," said the witness, "that the truck was stopped when the car hit it." の訳が、分かりません。「車がぶつかった時トラックは止まってたと私は確信がある」だと思ったのですが、「目撃者」はどこに入りますか? (2)また「"」の意味ですが、日本語の会話文で使う「   」と同じ役割でしょうか? (3)ここで使うthatはどういう役割がありますか?

• 意味教えてください

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A man in the state of Louisiana is accused of bludgeoning, decapitating and dismembering his disabled 7-year-old son and leaving the boy's head near the street so the child's mother would see it — a killing that brought seasoned police officers to tears, authorities said Monday. http://news.yahoo.com/police-us-man-decapitated-disabled-son-7-181934853.html a killing that brought seasoned police officers to tears,,,,,ここはどういう意味なんでしょうか。 一つの殺人が警察官たちの涙をさそう?? お願いします<m(__)m>

• thatとoneについて

thatはthe+前出名詞を受けることが出来ます。またoneはa+前出名詞(可算)を受けることが出来ます。よって that=the one と書くことも出来ます。 ここまでは理解できたのですが、修飾に関して that of~{もしくは修飾語句}(of~がthatにかかる)○ the one of~{〃}(of~がoneにかかる)× と参考書にありました。なぜof{修飾語句}はthatにかかれてoneにかかることが出来ないのでしょうか?また、 a Japanese car ○ a car of Japanese × ともありました。同じような理由だと思うのですがはっきり分からないので、アドバイスお願いします!

• 過去分詞の形容詞的用法

過去分詞の形容詞的用法 について、 the motorbike that had been stolen → the stolen motorbike という感じに言いかえる問題があるのですが、 a number of PCs that had been used のときは、a number of the used PCs であってますか? あと、 a student that works hard→ they didn't get the result that they expected→ the window that has been broken→ (最後のは普通にthe broken window でいいんですか?) がよくわからないので教えてほしいです。

• that would never balance

When the guilt of working in the work camp became too strong, I would lash out. A stolen screwdriver. Misplaced paperwork. Futile gestures that would never balance the scales. この文章の訳を教えてください。若い看守が話しています。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の並び替え問題を採点してください(中3)

【問題(1)】 これは私が今まで解答しようとした問題の中で一番難しい問題のひとつです。 ※答えは、Thisに続けて書きなさい。 of/I/to/is/answer/the/ever/one/difficult/tried/questions/have/most/that 答え⇒ This is one of the most difficult questions that I have ever tried to answer . everを入れる位置がよく分かりませんでした。 【問題(2)】 自転車を盗まれた人は佐藤さんですね。(1語不足) the/car/is/was/isn’t/Mr.Sato/man/stolen/he? 答え⇒ The man whose car was stolen is Mr.Sato,isn’t he.                 よろしくお願いします。

• 英訳お願いします

Has anyone here ever ran across a person in your lives that spoke with absolutely no intentional subtext what soever?That every word that come out of their months was just that...the words they spoke with no hidden meaning? 長文ですが、英訳お願いします。よろしくお願いします。

• I hate it when that happens.

NHKラジオ英会話講座より I was walking along the sidewalk. Then a car drove throuh a puddle and splashed me. I hate it when that happens. 質問:I hate it when that happen.についてお尋ねします。 (1)第3文型で、when以下は副詞節でしょうか? (2)whenは接続詞ですね? (3)itはa car drove throuh a puddle and splashed me. を指していますね? (4)that何を指していますか?itと同じですか?  以上

• この英文の意味を教えてください

この英文の意味を教えてください "Some of the reasons are simple. To show that we can watch a horror movies, that are not afraid, that we can ride this roller coaster. Which is not to say that a really good horror movie may not surprise a scream out of us at some point, the way we may scream when the roller coaster twists through a complete 360 or plows through a lake at the bottom of the drop."