• ベストアンサー

last and hardly leastって?

お世話になります。 とある原書の謝辞のところに Last and hardly least, she believed with me from the start in the book. とあったのですが、この"Last and hardly least"はどういう意味で、どう訳せばいいのでしょうか。 ご教示頂けると助かります。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• bamizo
  • お礼率94% (197/209)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

シェイクスピアの『リア王』の1幕1場で、三人の娘に「何が欲しい?」と財産を分ける場面があります。上の娘の二人から、末娘コーデリアの番になって、 King Lear が言う台詞に Now, our joy, Although the last, not least 「さて、わしの喜び、最後じゃが(=末娘だが)、最小ではない(=一番可愛い娘だ)(さ、何が欲しい?)    と言うのがあります。    それで今では謝辞とか紹介のとき、「このかたは最後になりましたが決して一番つまらない?(=最小)と言う訳ではありません」と使う決まり文句(下記)になりました。 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/last+but+not+least    あまり何度も使って「またあれかよ」という陳腐さが出てきたので、Last and hardly least 「最後ですが決して最小ではない」という変形です。

bamizo
質問者

お礼

早々にご教示くださりありがとうございました。 それもとてもご丁寧なご説明! よくわかり、おかげでとても助かりました。 感謝申し上げます。 また何かありましたら、その節はよろしくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (2)

• litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.3

>この"Last and hardly least"はどういう意味で、どう訳せばいいのでしょうか。 (お礼の言葉としては)最後になりましたが、感謝の気持ちが少しもないという訳では決してありません。 以上、参考まで。

bamizo
質問者

お礼

的確な訳出、ありがとうございました。 おかげでとても助かりました。 ベストアンサーに選ばせていただくことができませんでしたこと お詫び申し上げます。 また何かありましたら、その節はぜひともよろしくお願いいたします。 心かの感謝をこめて。

回答No.1

「Last but not least」の意味でしょうか。 これですと、 「大事なことをひとつ言い残したが」くらいの意味になりますが。

bamizo
質問者

お礼

早々にご教示くださりありがとうございました。 おかげで助かりました。 また何かありましたら、その節はよろしくお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• song and dance

I recently had my first baby. It is a magical time for me and my husband. My parents, who live relatively close by, were elated by my son’s arrival and are very doting grandparents. My mother and I have had a very rocky history, and I was hopeful that my son could have a relationship with his grandmother, separate from my own issues with her. As she is with everything in my life, my mother is extremely overbearing. She never gives me a compliment and constantly questions and criticizes every decision I make. She is very concerned about appearances, and tries to constantly push her wishes for how to dress and feed my child, etc., on me. I accept and welcome suggestions—but my mother will force her will. She nags, belittles, and insults my decisions until I replace them with her own. She constantly interferes in our decisions. Ignoring her is impossible, as she will nag until you agree to adopt her decision. My father tells me that she is my mother, and although she is very difficult, she will not change, so I must. This has been the song and dance of my whole life. I am tired of having to be the one to roll over just because she won’t change or accept my decisions. ここでのthe song and danceとroll overはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

My mother came in from the pantry with a steaming pot in her hand. She stopped midway between the table and the fire, feeling the tension flowing through the room. She followed their stare and saw me in the corner. Her eyes looked from my face down to my foot, with the chalk gripped between my toes. She put down the pot. Then she crossed over to me and knelt down beside me, as she had done so many times before. "I'll show you what to do with it, Chris," she said, very slowly and in a queer, choked way, her face flushed as if with some inner excitement. Taking another piece of chalk from Mona, she hesitated, then very deliberately drew, on the floor in front of me, the single letter "A." "Copy that," she said, looking steadily at me. "Copy it, Chris." I couldn't.

• At least there's that.について教えてください。

サスペンスのお話です。 Aさんの友達が誘拐されました。目撃者の話から、Aさんは生きていることがわかります。 "She is with him(←犯人), and she's very much alive." という刑事の言葉に、Aさんの友達が、 "At least there's that."と答えます。 文脈からして、「少なくとも、それ(生きている)だけでもよかった」というようなものだと思うのですが、なぜここでthere is構文が使われるのでしょうか?そういう言い回しをする、という程度なのでしょうか。 文法的にでも、慣用的にでもいいので、納得できるような答えが知りたいのです。どなたか教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 7's and 11's とは何でしょうか

下の文章は、AとB、二人のスポーツ選手の対戦を予想したものです。「Bはいちかばちかの大勝負に出たほうがいい」、と言っていると思うのですが、最後にある 7's and 11's とは何を意味しているのでしょうか。この数字は、diceと関係があるのでしょうか。よろしくお願いいたします。 A is 2-0 against B, with both of those wins coming last year on hard courts. B's game is simple: she moves from side to side and can keep the ball in play with anyone. Well, against A that isn't going to be enough. A can do that, plus she is stronger, plays with more versatility and is more athletic. B better roll the dice and hope that she gets all "7's" and "11's".

• Whamのラストクリスマス。

Whamのラストクリスマスの2番の歌詞に以下のフレーズがありますがどういう意味なんでしょうか。 (A crowded room, friends with tired eyes I'm hiding from you and your soul of ice My God I thought you were someone to rely on Me? I guess I was a shoulder to cry on) ここまでは分りますが前後の意味を知って頂く為に書いておきます。 A face on a lover with a fire in his heart A man undercover but you tore me apart この部分をどの様に訳していいのか全然見当が付きません。宜しくお願い致します。

• two months and change in

Now, I’m in a new relationship, two months and change in, with someone who tells me often that he loves spending time with me, REALLY loves sex with me, is really attracted to me, all that business. two months and change inのtwo months inは2ヶ月目ということですよね?changeは何でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文法について

下記について教えてください。 (1)She's got it made.(成功確実だね。) このgot it madeがイメージできません。文法的なところからご指導いただけると助かります。 (2)Up to 15000 visitors a day are expected, with a total of 5.4 million in th first year. このwithがイメージできません。初心者の私はこのケースはいつもandを使っている気がします。文法的なところからご指導いただけると助かります。 (3)And last but not least, you go like this and there.(そして最後に、これが肝心ですが、ほらこうして。) なぜ、but not leastが「これが肝心ですが」になるのでしょうか? 以上、ひとつでもかまいませんのでよろしくお願いします。

• least of allの訳

Habits that have endured for many thousands of years are not easy to throw off - least of all when they are habits of thought, and when they do not come into open conflict with changing circumstances, or do not clearly involve us in loss or inconvenience. たとえば、特にそれらが思考の習慣である場合や移り変わる環境とあからさまに対立することがない場合や私たちが損失や不便に明らかに巻き込まれない場合である。 least of allの訳は「特に~でない」と書いてあるのですが、このleast の否定の訳がどこにも反映されていないと思んです… どなたかご説明よろしくお願いします。

• 同じ文にするにはどうしたらいいですか?

同じ文にするにはどうしたらいいですか? 1 she could see only clouds from the windows of the plane she could see(    )(    )clouds from the windows of the plane 2 He is the last man to tell lines. He is (    )telling lines. 3 He sometimes disagrees with me. He(   )(    ) agree with me. 4 I didn't read both of the books. I (    ) only (    ) of the books. よろしくお願いします

• molly and coke

Q. Update—Cat at the rager: I wrote you about my acquaintance who would bring her cat to raves in a special cat backpack. She ended up breaking up with her EDM DJ boyfriend, so the raves stopped for a while. She wanted a healthier lifestyle, so she became a superintense vegan and doesn’t do molly and coke as much. She actually had two cats but ended up giving the older one away because it was too expensive to feed both of them the raw meat diet that she gives them. Then she got back together with her ex, and the last Facebook post of hers I saw was the boyfriend sitting naked on the toilet with the cat on his lap. Life is a rich tapestry. molly and cokeとは何でしょうか?あと、Life is a rich tapestry.の意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします