• ベストアンサー

短い英文です。和訳お願いします。

Sue was mortified to discover that she seemed to be the only person unaware that her job was being terminated. her job was being terminatedのところが特にわかりません。 進行形が使われているのは、過去における未来をあらわしてますか? 「job」が「terminated」されるというところも理解できません。 ある仕事をやり遂げることを意味しているのでしょうか、それとも、 彼女が解雇されることを意味しているのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

仕事をやめさせられようとしているのに気づかなかったのが自分だけであるようなのを 知って彼女は悔しがった。 「job」が「terminated」される terminate はアメリカでは人を目的語にして「解雇する」の意味になります。 ここでは job が目的語になって受動態で, 文字通りは「仕事が終わらされる」ですが,もちろん「首になる,解雇される」の意味です。 この「終わらされる」という受動態の過去進行形が was being terminated です。 最終的に首になって,実は少し前に着々と自分をやめさせる方向で会社が進んでいた。 そのことを自分だけ気づかなかったんだな,と悔しがった。

tandenko
質問者

お礼

とても分かりやすい説明ありがとうございました! 進行形の部分も、terminateの使われ方も理解できました。

関連するQ&A

• わからない英文があります

"Later that day I was relieved to discover that at least one eligible bachelor got his kicks off the runway" -got his kicks off the runwayの意味を教えてください

• 英文の和訳をおねがいします。

It is salutary to realize the fundamental isolation of the individual mind. We have no certain knowledge of any consciousness but our own. We can only know the world through our own personality. Because the behaviour of others is similar to our own, we suppose that they are like us; it is a shock to discover that they are not. As i grow older I am more and more amazed to discover how great are the differences between one man and another. I am not far from believing that everyone is unique.

• 英文和訳について(2)

The first prerequisite of being kidnapped was to be overwhelmed by the physical presence of the image. And the conditions of "going to the movies" were essential to that. To see a great film only on TV isn't to have really seen that film. It's not only the difference of dimensions: the superiority of the larger-than-you image in the theater to the little image on the box at home. さらわれることの最初の必要条件は、イメージの身体的な存在に圧倒されることであった。そして、「映画へ行く」ことの条件は、そのことににとって必須でした。テレビですばらしい映画を見るだけでは、その映画を本当に見ていることになっていないのである。それは、局面的な違いだけではない。あなたがもつ優越性によって自宅で箱の上で小さな像のイメージを映画館の中で作る。 うまく訳せませんでした。 この英文の訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文参照: http://okwave.jp/qa3000195.html

• 英文の和訳お願いします。「強調構文」

この文はどんな意味になりますか。 2つの意味になるような 気がします。 It was not until she was well on her way to the office that she thought of the matter. 彼女は会社行く途中で元気になってやっとその問題を考えた。 彼女は会社にかなり近づいてやっとその問題を考えた。 wellは形容詞ですか、副詞ですか。 教えてください。

• 英文和訳お願いします。

日本語訳を教えてください。 ( )が自分で考えたものです。 If i had known that things were going to turn out the way they did,I would never have joined the company. (もし事態がそのようになることがわかったいたら、その会社には入らなかったのに) It was not until she was well on her way to the office that she thought of the matter. (彼女は家に帰る途中で元気になって初めてそのことを考えた)

• 英語 beingは省略?

お世話になります。 He was the only person ( ) in that accident. 正解は injuredですが,選択肢にbeing injuredがありますが,これはbeingを省略しない形で,正解にはならないのでしょうか。

• 英文を和訳して下さい。

Following the setbacks at the Hanna on 21 January 1916, Lieutenant-General Aylmer's Tigris Corps spent the month of February refitting and collecting reinforcements. Despite the pause, the Tigris Corps was still unable to be brought back up to full strength. The 13th (Western) Division had been dispatched as reinforcements from Egypt where it was being brought back to strength following its evacuation from Gallipoli. However, by the end of February, only the 13th Division's first battalions had reached the theatre, and only two of those had been transported up river by end of February. The British position at Kut was becoming more desperate. Food stocks were estimated to last only until the middle of April, even with the discovery of an additional store of grain in late January. Additionally, there was the concern that time was running out in another way: the weather. Based on the known weather patterns of the region, the latest that the Anglo-Indian Tigris Corps could expect favourable weather to hold was the middle of March. After that, the spring thaw would be in full swing. Combined with the coming rainy season, it would turn the areas along the banks of the Tigris into a flooded quagmire.

• 以下の英文の和訳をお願いします。

Imagine being a foreigner and being to learn that in English one tells a(イタリック体) lie but the(イタリック体) truth, that a person who says “I could care less,” means the same thing as someone who says “I couldn't care less.”

• 英語 過去分詞について

お世話になります。以下の問題ですが、正解は(2)だと思うのですが、なぜ(4)がいけないのかわかりやすく教えていただけますか。 Tom was the only person ( ) in that car accident. (1) injure (2) injured (3) injuring (4) being injured Tom was the only person (who was) injured in that car accident. 関係代名詞とbe動詞の省略ではないかと思うのですが、分詞構文では以下のような説明があります。 Being written in easy English… のbeingは省略できる ということは、省略しなくても間違いではないですよね?だったら(4)も正解にならないのかなと思った次第です。

• 和訳して頂けませんか

Will Obama sit with Hu prepared to develop fresh ways to defend what Americans care about? We have to hope so. If not, it's likely that the U.S. will soon discover that China is not the only nation in the world that needs to worry that it is about to be done to. 最後の文の最後のthat以下の意味が分かりません。教えて頂けませんか。