• 締切済み

英文読解

以下の文を日本語に訳していただけませんか?よろしくお願い致します。 The probability of people in power being individuals who would dislike the possession and exercise of power is on a level with the probability that an extremely tender-hearted person would get a job as a whipping master on a slave plantation.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

みんなの回答

回答No.2

the [possession and exercise] of powerで「権力を持ち行使すること」です。 権力の座にある人が権力を保有し行使することを嫌う可能性は、とても優しい心の持ち主が奴隷農場で鞭を振る主人の仕事を引き受ける可能性と同じである。 →権力の座にある人が権力を保有し行使することをやめるというのは、とても優しい心の持ち主が奴隷農場で鞭を振る主人の仕事を引き受けるのと同じくらいあり得ないことである。

thunderr
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。言い換えしていただいてわかりやすいです。権力者が権力を保有し行使する事をやめるのは それほどあり得ないことだということを表現しているのですね。

回答No.1

※一大学生の回答です。 「権力をもった人々が財産や権力の行使を嫌悪する可能性というのは、非常に心の優しい人間が鞭をもって奴隷を働かせる職を得る可能性と等しいのだ。」

thunderr
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。なるほど、権力をもった人々が財産や権力の行使を嫌悪する可能性はほぼないといった意味の文章なのかもしれないですね。なんとなく意味が把握出来て良かったです。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

Yet Section 13(d) and its applicable rules do not only support an interpretation of mandate ownership. They place the ability to exercise de facto power above any formal legal title to the share, and make it in fact superior to any other type of ownership. The SEC has formally recognized the supremacy of the ability to exercise de facto power over any formal title to the share as a constituent element of beneficial ownership, by explicitly indicating that “the mere possession of a legal right to vote is not determinative of who is the beneficial owner inasmuch as another person has the power, whether legal, economic or otherwise to direct such voting.” 上記英文の,特に The SEC以降の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

In the Lomé region, the German explorer, medical doctor, imperial consul and commissioner for West Africa Gustav Nachtigal was the driving force toward the establishment of the West African colonies of Togoland as well as Kamerun. From his base on the Spanish island possession Fernando Po in the Bight of Biafra he traveled extensively on the mainland of Africa. On 5 July 1884 Nachtigal signed a treaty with the local chief, Mlapa III, in which he declared a German protectorate over a stretch of territory along the Slave Coast on the Bight of Benin.

• 英文読解

(1)How many times have you been on vacation only to find that what was in the glossy brochure didn't reflect the reality of the destination? What about all those tourist traps where everything is cheaply and expensive? The public attitude is spend, spend, spend—and it's a bit like eating too much chocolate: it feels good at the time, but leaves you feeling rather sickly afterward. (2)We have this tendency to see the grass as being greener on the other side: whereas, it can really be quite green where we are. For example, I spent seven years in a coastal town, and it was only as I was preparing to move that I decided to take in a few more sights around the area. I had quite a shock to discover what I had been missing during those years, which made moving even harder. When we live in a nice place, we tend to take it for granted. Sometimes it is good to get away, far away, particularly if you live in a crowded city, but there is often this odd pressure on us to take vacations in distant and exotic places when great places to relax can be quite close to home. (3)A vacation can be an expensive affair, costing hundreds of dollars a day on fuel, food, and accommodation. Those long trips also have an environmental impact such as greenhouse gases produced by the travel. A 1,000-mile round trip in a medium-sized car will produce around half a ton in carbon dioxide. A 2,500-mile return flight will result in over double the amount. (4)Additionally, there can be the stresses of packing, scheduling, and then worrying about your home while you are away, combined with battling crowds of other tourists. It's not unusual for people to come back from vacation more stressed than when they left. Have you ever considered a “staycation”? A staycation is a holiday at or close to home, whether it's relaxing in the backyard or exploring the region that you live in more, with plenty of time to do so. Even the holiday-obsessed British are trying staycations, although due mainly to economic circumstances. In May 2008, a British paper organized a survey and found that a third of respondents were switching their plans from a holiday abroad to a holiday in Britain. (5)What should you do on a staycation? The first point is not to do things you wouldn't do on vacation elsewhere, such as mowing the lawn or painting the house. Your staycation needs to be fun! Do all that stuff before you go, just as you would do in preparing for a traditional vacation. Become a tourist in your own town! Visit your local tourist information center, and you may be surprised at what you discover to see and do on your home patch. There are parks and museums you haven't visited, restaurants you haven't tried, and perhaps you could take in a local festival or two. (6)You don't have to stay at home for it to be a staycation. There may be a small hotel on the outskirts of town you would enjoy, a nice camping spot, or even an organic farm nearby where you can grow your own food. (7)Perhaps you could even invest the money you save on not taking an expensive vacation to make things a little more staycation friendly in your home, such as creating a private little slice of paradise in your own backyard. While your staycation isn't going to save the planet on its own, it will probably save you money and is one of the many small things we you can do that collectively will help reduce the impact on our environment. 【設問】文中の語の意味内容 ・2段落this tendency アto spend a lot of money イto think things are better elsewhere ウto feel regretful for what has been done エto realize everything is expensive at famous resorts ・3段落the amount アthe cost of the fuel イthe distance by car ウthe volume of carbon dioxide エthe time to reach your destination ・4段落to do so アto consider a staycation イto visit distant or exotic places ウto rest at home or discover your neighborhood エto worry about your home and fight crowds of tourists 自分はアウアを選んでみました。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

The Battle of the Ancre Heights (1 October – 11 November 1916), is the name given to the continuation of British attacks after the Battle of Thiepval Ridge from 26–28 September during the Battle of the Somme. The battle was conducted by the Reserve Army (renamed Fifth Army on 29 October) from Courcelette near the Albert–Bapaume road, west to Thiepval on Bazentin Ridge.[a] British possession of the heights would deprive the German 1st Army of observation towards Albert to the south-west and give the British observation north over the Ancre valley to the German positions around Beaumont Hamel, Serre and Beaucourt.

• 英文構造について

英文一文の構造を教えてください。 On the one hand , man in the world without pants should be a miserable creature , and probably would be , and then again , on the other hand , if this same man , in pants , and in the world , was usually a gay and easy-going sort of fellow , in all probability even without pants he would be a gay and easy-going sort of fellow , and might even find the situation an opportunity for all manner of delightful banter . 構造というか、この文は and  やカンマカンマの挿入がたくさんあり、何が主語とかどこにつながっているかとかがわからないです。 できれば 「and ,挿入, がなぜ、こことこことを結ぶのか」という根拠も示していただけると次に生かせると思います。 またand とは同じ構造を結ぶものという私なりの理解があるのですが、 すいません、自分でこの原理がわかっていません。 合わせて回答いただければ幸いです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文読解

(1)When I had the chance to go to college my mother was against it because she wanted me to go out and get a job and bring some money into the house. This was (1) the fact that the government was going to pay for my fees, my books and even my living costs. (2)The government paid for any student who managed to get into higher education and only denied funding to the rich. Without such funding it would have been out of the (2) for me to go on with my education and therefore climb my way higher up the food chain. Looking back now, I shall always be grateful to those post-war politicians and officials who (3) the welfare state and gave me the gift of a free education, free medical treatment and the safety net of unemployment benefit. Those were the days. Harold MacMillan, a Conservative Prime Minister of the era, famously said, “You've never had it so good.” And he was right. Today is very different. (3)(4) of the 47 universities that existed by the early sixties there are now over one hundred and the percentage of school leavers going into university education has gone from less than 10% to over 60%. Clearly the government can now no longer afford to subsidise education as it once did and the burden will fall on the students when they graduate. The baby-boomers who benefitted from free education are now the parents or even grandparents of these children. They can sometimes help financially but more often than not they have enough to worry about struggling to survive on inadequate pensions. (4)Students and their parents are facing further nightmares as universities have recently been given permission to charge commercial tuition fees. This means that on average fees will probably double and in many cases triple. The likely effects on student recruitment and on the quality of education can only be guessed at. The present government insists that students can manage the rises because these fees will not be charged until students graduate and get a job paying over 21,000 GBP. This is hardly a fortune and is, in fact, slightly below the average annual income in Britain. The new policy has brought a storm of protest from students, parents and leftist activists. The National Union of Students organised a demonstration in London against the fee rises. This went off peacefully at the beginning with thousands of students and others taking part in an orderly march to Parliament. Unfortunately on the way, some students, possibly under the influence of alcohol and egged on by more violent minded elements of crowd, stormed the Conservative Party's London headquarters. Grass doors were broken, the light security force was overwhelmed and protesters entered the building causing havoc. Furniture was smashed, offices were broken into and their contents destroyed. Even fire extinguishers were thrown from upper floors. Some protesters and police officers were injured. It was chaos. The police admitted later that they were not prepared for such violence. 【設問】 ( )に入れる適切な語 (1) アdespiteイin spiteウinsteadエthanks to (2) アeconomyイproblemウquestionエsituation (3) アfindイfoundウfoundedエhad found (4) アBecauseイDespiteウInsteadエRegardless 自分はエウウアを選んでみました。難しく感じました。

• 英文の添削をお願い致します。

大学の論文に苦戦しております・・・。 以下の日本語文の英訳を、添削・改善して頂けますと幸いです。 ちなみに論文で「I would like」を使うのはおかしいのでしょうか? どうぞよろしくお願い致します。 「先進国の政府、会社、そして個人が、環境問題において、どのようにして問題の一部から、解決策の一部になる事が出来るかを研究したい。」 I would like to study how the country, a company, and individuals of developed countries be a part of the solution from part of problem」

• 英文解釈

new york timesの電子版を読んでいて解釈がわからないところがありました。ダイエットについての文章です。以下本文の抜粋です。 A person's weight remains stable as long as the number of calories consumed doesn't exceed the amount of calories the body spends, both on exercise and to maintain basic body functions. calories consumedは消費カロリー、calories the body spendsは基礎代謝みたいな意味でしょうか。それだとbothまでの内容は「消費カロリーが基礎代謝を上回らない限り、体重は維持される」となり、なんだかよくわかりません。あと、both以下もon exerciseとto maintainがどこにかかっているかもよくわかりません。よろしくお願いします。

• 英文について

Forced with what seemed to be the growing intransigence of the Soviet Union toward virtually all postwar questions, Truman and his advisors concluded that possession of the weapon would give the United States unprecedented leverage to push Russia toward a more accommodating position. 以上のような文がありました。 要約すると、「トルーマンたちは武器(原発などの核兵器)を所持することはソ連に対して有利であるということを示すため」 簡単に言っていることをまとめたつもりなのですが、内容はつかめてますでしょうか? わかる方見て欲しいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

On 13 December Briand formed a new government, reducing the size of the Council of Ministers from 23 to 10 and replacing Roques with General Lyautey. That day his government survived a vote of confidence by 30 votes, and Joffre was appointed "general-in-chief of the French armies, technical adviser to the government, consultative member of the War Committee" (he was persuaded to accept by Briand, but soon found that he had been stripped of real power and asked to be relieved altogether on 26 December), with Nivelle replacing him as commander-in-chief of the Armies of the North and Northeast. A Senate Secret Session on 21 December attacked Briand's plans for a smaller war cabinet as “yet another level of bureaucracy”; on 23 December Briand pledged that he would continue to push for a “permanent Allied bureau” to secure constant cooperation between the Allied nations