Understanding the Different Meanings and Nuances of 'can'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Researchers now have the ability to capture images of the brain, a significant advancement in the field of neuroscience.
  • We are capable of observing differences in how their brains function, indicating varying cognitive processes.
  • We can identify disparities in the development of male and female brains, suggesting potential gender-based variations.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

canの意味の見分け

(1) Researchers now can take images of the brain. (2) We can see differences in how their brains work. (3) We can find differences in how men's and women's brains develop. (4) Women can see colors and textures that men cannnot see. (5) How can we explain a survey? これは英語教材UNICORNのlesson5からの引用です。これらの文章で使われているcanやcannotの意味やニュアンスにどういう違いがあるのか教えてください。

noname#148721
noname#148721
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

例文の中では差がないように思います。 can は「能力」と「許可」の面から「・・・できる」という意味になるのが、主な使い方です。 例文はすべて「能力」の意味合いになっていると思います。 許可の例 You can open the window if it is hot. You cannot drink beer, because you are not old enough.

noname#148721
質問者

お礼

・・・ですよね。ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.2

canを、あえて分類するなら、以下の通り。 1)能力  ・する力/能力がある  ・見える,聞こえる、感じている  ・信じている、想像できる、思い出せる、わかる 2)依頼 3)好意・意図 4)許可 5)可能  ・…することが可能である、…できる状態にある  ・…する権利[権力]をもつ[もてる] 6)可能性  ・肯定文で、…である傾向がある、…することがある  ・否定文で、…であるはずがない、とても…でないだろう  ・疑問文で、…でありうるだろうか、いったい…であろうか  私は一切論理的な区別してませんので、どう違うと言われても説明できません。感覚なもので。  上記をご参考に、質問者様でご考察をお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• to be able to か can か?

「それを見ることができて私たちはなんて幸運なんでしょう。」 と言いたいとき、どちらが正しいですか? How lucky we are to be able to see it. How lucky we can see it. どちらも間違い、または他にぴったりな言いまわしがあれば教えていただけるとうれしいです。

• 下の例文の「can」の意味

ご覧いただきありがとうございます。 早速ですが質問です。 英語と日本語では、主語の表現のされ方に言語的な違いがある There is a linguistic difference in how subjects 【can】 be expressed in English and Japanese 上の【】で囲んだcanはどういう意味を持っているのでしょうか?

• 英語の和訳をお願いします。

Gender differences in the meaning of these words start early. In our gender dialogues between seventh-grade boys and girls, their comments and questions often focus on "talk": BOYS: Girls talk for most of the conversation so we don't have to talk. GIRLS: How come boys don't talk first? How these gender differences can be used in dialogue to heal the relationships between women and men is the topic of our discussion. 最後のパラグラフなんですが和訳に手こずっています…

• canとseeについて

That was a dentist office. It looks like a western building on the outside,but it is Japanese style inside. It was built in the Taisho period. Wow, you can really see and understand history in the Kambara-juku area. 上記の英文の最後の行にyou can really see and understand history ・・・とありますが、 ここで使われてるcanとseeは、どういう使われ方なんでしょうか? 教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• ~ can be. はどの意味合いから.....

【問題】 本好きにするには、本の楽しさを知らせる必要があります。一方的に母親が押しつけたのでは、いやに なります。まず、いっしょに本屋に行って、本をさがすところから始めてみます。次に、買ってきた本は、 できれば子どもが「読んでくれ」と言ってくるまで、子どもの目につく場所にほっておくというくらいのゆと りが、母親にほしいと思います。 【英訳し易いように変えた日本文】 子どもを本好きにするには、母親は子どもに本の楽しさを知らせなければならない。むりやり読ませる と、子どもは読書を嫌う。母親が子どもといっしょに本屋に行って、適当な本をさがすところから始める べきだ。それから、その本をできれば子どもが「読んでくれ」と言ってくるまで、子どもがそれを見ること ができるところにほっておくだけの忍耐力を母親はもつべきだ。 【解答例】 If a mother wants her children to like books, she has to let them know how interesting reading can be. To force them to read will only make them dislike it. She should start by going to a bookstore with them to find a suitable book. Then, if possible, she should be patient enough to leave the book where they can see it and wait until they ask her to read it to them. ある大学の入試英作文問題の解答例等は上のようになっていました。そこで質問なのですが、how interesting reading can be の can be の部分は日本文のどの意味合いからこのように訳されたので しょうか。自分は how interesting reading is でよいのではと思ってしまいました。よろしければ解説お 願いいたします。

• どのような意味でしょうか

My sister-in-law says she is very allergic to cats. She lives six hours away from my Mom. My sister and I have cats and bring them with us when we visit our mom. My sister-in-law asked us if we could put the cats behind a gate or upstairs when she and my brother visit. We believe that our cats are our family members. We refuse to put our cats away just because someone wants us to. Because of this, our sister-in-law stopped visiting. Now she has a baby and this is the first grandchild in the family. She again asked if we would put the cats away while she visits so my mom can visit with her granddaughter. Again, we have refused to do this because our cats are just as important family members as her baby. We told her that she should drop off the baby with my mom, sister and me and that she can relax at the hotel while we visit. She has refused to do this, and now just doesn't visit. She tells my brother to visit whenever he wants, but that she and her baby will stay home. My mom cannot drive to their house, and now my mom has not seen her granddaughter at all. She is very upset. How do we fix this for our mom's sake, without giving up our principles? giving up our principlesとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳をお願いします。

日本語訳をお願いします。 After Mr.A, Jr. was murdered in 1986, Ms.B worked to keep his dream alive. Speaking to a crowd after her husband's death, she said, "How long will it take, and how many men must die before we can really have a free and true and peaceful."

• 意味を教えてください

My husband and I love the great outdoors and have taken our daughter to every national park in the state. She is 11. My two sisters have girls of their own. We took them all for a week this summer to a lake to see how a cousins camping trip would go. to see how a cousins camping trip would goの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 文法的にわかりません

Unless it were one and the same statement, we could not see such differences as being differences at all. Unless it were one and the same statement, we could not see such differences as being differences at all. 「それが、全く同一の陳述でなければ、我々は、決してそういった、違いを違いとして認識することは、できないであろう」 のas being differences の部分ですが、なぜbeing differences になっているのですか? differences では、だめですか?

• 意味を教えて欲しいです。

This shows us how two people from different cultures can see the same thing and interpret it in very different ways. 大まかには意味が分かってるのですが、howとcanをどう訳したらいいのかよく分からなくて困っています。 もう一文、 Without being detached, we may jump to inaccurate conclusions-e.g. "Wow,Arabs are pushy", or "Wow, Japanese are shy"- without stopping to consider if the reason that one is reaching that way is a lack of understanding of how Arabs or Japanese communicate among themselves. という文で、without stopping to consider if the reason that one is reaching that way の部分がよく分からなく、このifってどう訳したらいいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いします。