The Quest for Knowledge: A Responsibility of Developed Nations

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The quest for knowledge for the sake of knowledge is irreplaceable.
  • A developed nation must participate in the expansion of knowledge for the good of all mankind.
  • Scientists have the responsibility to ensure research produces truly original results.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の翻訳お願いします

But apart from of any potential payoff, I believe that the quest for knowledge for the sake of knowledge is irreplaceable. It seems to me essential that a developed nation participate in this expansion of knowledge for the good of all mankind, and that it devote to this effort a fraction of its resources, even without any film hope of material benefit in return. If unexpected applications do materialize as a bonus, so much the better. A few remarks are in other, however. This“pure”science does have an obligation. It must produce truly original results. There is no place for research which merely reproduces, expect for a detail or two, an experiment already successfully performed. But how does one judge the degree of novelty? At present, this difficult evaluation is carried out informally, by the seat of the pants so to speak, by the scientific community-not entirely without errors or injustices, to be sure, but, by and large, with fairly satisfactory results. A word of caution:it does sometimes happen that, in order to reach a particular goal, several avenues prove feasible, utilizing very different means, some quite elaborate, others much simpler or considerably less costly. Should one, for instance, send humans into space, or should one rely on unmanned spacecraft? One must constantly remain alert to the danger that research might get mired in enormous projects of doubtful utility. This is the responsibility that scientists must assume on behalf of the taxpayers of their respective countries.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

しかし、知識のための知識の探求は、いかなる潜在的報酬をもってしても取り替えることはできないと、私は思っています。 見返りに物質的利益を得られる確実な希望がなくても、先進国がすべての人類のために知識のこの拡大に参加すること、そして 先進国が、その資産の一部をこの努力につぎこむことは、私には重要に思われます。 予想外の応用が、ボーナスとして、実現するならば、なおさら結構なことです。 しかし、2、3の意見は、別です。 この「純粋」科学には、義務があります。 それは、本当に独創的な結果を生まなければなりません。 1,2の細かい例は別として、単にすでにうまく実行された実験を再生させるだけの研究の余地などありません。 しかし、どのようにして、人は目新しさの程度を判断するのでしょうか? 現在、この難しい評価は、いわゆる勘と経験に基づいて、科学界によって、完全に誤りも不正もないとは言い切れないけれど、確かに、非公式に行われています、しかし、概して、かなり満足な結果を得ています。 注意の一言:特定の目標に達するために、いくつかの経路が可能であるとわかることは時々起こります。そして、非常に異なる手段を利用します、全く精巧な手段もあれば、ずっと単純で、かなりコストもかからない手段もあります。 例えば、人は、人間を宇宙へ送り出さなければなりませんか、それとも、人は無人宇宙船に頼るべきでしょうか? 人は、絶えず研究が疑わしい有用性の巨大なプロジェクトに陥るかもしれないという危険性に常に気を配っていなければなりません。 これは、科学者が彼らのそれぞれの国の納税者に代わって負わなければならない責任です。 ☆ この部分は、この前の英文と重複しています。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

Let‘s start with this odd couple, so often cast as adversaries. FUNDAMENTAL RESEACH, A NECESSARY RESPONSIBILITY OF DEVELOPED NATIONS To find out how the world functions, from the atom to the galaxies, from minerals to living beings, is an exalting quest. This progress of knowledge is independent of any practical result that might ultimately be derived from such an effort. The journey of the Voyager spacecraft to the edge of the solar system needs no other justification than the harvest of knowledge that rewarded us. The discovery of the double helix structure of the genetic code would have been satisfaction enough, even without the phenomenal practical possibilities that we envision today. Trapping a single atom in a cell and “cooling”it with laser beams down to one millionth of a kelvin is another marvelous experiment, just mastered recently, and (so far)devoid of any practical use. One can sometimes justify fundamental research by projecting the potential, hidden applications that it might spawn. The study of the electronic properties of solids was pregnant with the invention of the transistor, the fabulous development of microelectronics, the advent of digital technology. Spectroscopy gave birth to the invention of the laser, which revolutionized communications. But apart from of any potential payoff, I believe that the quest for knowledge for the sake of knowledge is irreplaceable. It seems to me essential that a developed nation participate in this expansion of knowledge for the good of all mankind, and that it devote to this effort a fraction of its resources, even without any film hope of material benefit in return. If unexpected applications do materialize as a bonus, so much the better. A few remarks are in other, however. This“pure”science does have an obligation. It must produce truly original results. There is no place for research which merely reproduces, expect for a detail or two, an experiment already successfully performed. But how does one judge the degree of novelty? At present, this difficult evaluation is carried out informally, by the seat of the pants so to speak, by the scientific community-not entirely without errors or injustices, to be sure, but, by and large, with fairly satisfactory results. A word of caution:it does sometimes happen that, in order to reach a particular goal, several avenues prove feasible, utilizing very different means, some quite elaborate, others much simpler or considerably less costly. Should one, for instance, send humans into space, or should one rely on unmanned spacecraft? One must constantly remain alert to the danger that research might get mired in enormous projects of doubtful utility. This is the responsibility that scientists must assume on behalf of the taxpayers of their respective countries.

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

長いですがよろしくお願いします。 Let‘s start with this odd couple, so often cast as adversaries. FUNDAMENTAL RESEACH, A NECESSARY RESPONSIBILITY OF DEVELOPED NATIONS To find out how the world functions, from the atom to the galaxies, from minerals to living beings, is an exalting quest. This progress of knowledge is independent of any practical result that might ultimately be derived from such an effort. The journey of the Voyager spacecraft to the edge of the solar system needs no other justification than the harvest of knowledge that rewarded us. The discovery of the double helix structure of the genetic code would have been satisfaction enough, even without the phenomenal practical possibilities that we envision today. Trapping a single atom in a cell and “cooling”it with laser beams down to one millionth of a kelvin is another marvelous experiment, just mastered recently, and (so far)devoid of any practical use. One can sometimes justify fundamental research by projecting the potential, hidden applications that it might spawn. The study of the electronic properties of solids was pregnant with the invention of the transistor, the fabulous development of microelectronics, the advent of digital technology. Spectroscopy gave birth to the invention of the laser, which revolutionized communications. But apart from of any potential payoff, I believe that the quest for knowledge for the sake of knowledge is irreplaceable. It seems to me essential that a developed nation participate in this expansion of knowledge for the good of all mankind, and that it devote to this effort a fraction of its resources, even without any film hope of material benefit in return. If unexpected applications do materialize as a bonus, so much the better. A few remarks are in other, however. This“pure”science does have an obligation. It must produce truly original results. There is no place for research which merely reproduces, expect for a detail or two, an experiment already successfully performed. But how does one judge the degree of novelty? At present, this difficult evaluation is carried out informally, by the seat of the pants so to speak, by the scientific community-not entirely without errors or injustices, to be sure, but, by and large, with fairly satisfactory results. A word of caution:it does sometimes happen that, in order to reach a particular goal, several avenues prove feasible, utilizing very different means, some quite elaborate, others much simpler or considerably less costly. Should one, for instance, send humans into space, or should one rely on unmanned spacecraft? One must constantly remain alert to the danger that research might get mired in enormous projects of doubtful utility. This is the responsibility that scientists must assume on behalf of the taxpayers of their respective countries.

• 英文の翻訳

以下の英文を翻訳お願いしたいです Sometimes this decision is straightforward. A proposal of a marriage, and an acceptance or refusal. But sometimes life is less well defined than that and the decision is made by the soul, it is made in the depths unconsciously. By you or by him. You may feel you have had enough of this particular man, or karma for one life for example and your spirit may withdraw because of pain when you could have struggled on perhaps and changed the ending to the story. Or you may unconsciously behave in such a way that he is the one to end the relationship against your will. Life is complicated, and the stars only really sketch this life, you add your own complications to become woven into the destiny This can be said of all relationships of course, not just your own. But it is right to state it. Some people hear the word soul mate and they assume that nothing can ever go wrong. That is not so. What I promise you is a future, it is up to you and him to make it happy or sad, short or lasting.

• 翻訳願います!!

どなたか下記の英文の和訳をお願い致しますm(_ _)m (1)I want to let you know that the language barrie will be taken care of when we see each other. (2)It is very important for me to express to you how much you really mean to me. (3)But since we are physically separated by miles in emptiness, this expression must come in the from of letters such as this. (4)Dear, I know it is difficult for you, as it is for me, to be separated for so long. (5)Life seems to be full of trials of this type which test our inner strength, and more importantly, our devotion and love for one another.

• 翻訳してください。

Taxation differs from country to country. For example, in the United States and Japan, a tax on cigarettes and alcohol is an important way for the government to get money. This is sometimes called a "sin tax." In other words, by doing something bad, you do something good: You give money to the government. Yet in Russia, there is almost no tax on tobacco or alcohol. It is often said that taxes will change in the 21st century. There may be new taxes on bank savings and financial transactions. Trash is likely to be taxed in the future. When you drive your car into a large city, you might have to pay a tax for that. One thing is certain: There will be new taxes for the rich and poor in countries that have fewer and fewer young people to support society. If you like to save money, you might be penalized for this in the future. This would encourage people not to hold money, but spend it. This might be important in societies such as Japan, where people traditionally save large amounts of money. A strong economy is one in which money changes hands often. Money "grows" in this way. When you go overseas, you usually exchange yen for another currency, such as dollars or the euro. Not only are tourists a good target for a tax(because it is thought that they have money to spend), but it would help to stop speculators. Speculators are people with large amounts of money who buy one currency, hold it, and then sell it to make money. Imagine that somebody exchanges \10,000,000 at 92 yen per dollar. If he changes this money back to yen at just 93 yen to a dollar, then he has made about \100,000. Any government would love to get some of this profit.

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします。

英語の翻訳をお願いします。 ネットショップで、海外の方がレンズを購入しまして、その後に来たメールです。 have received the lens. Cosmetically this lens is beautiful. Unfortunately optically it is not sharp. I have done some test in two separate days to make sure but the result is the same. I knew about the sharpness of this lens because I actually owned one before. I sold it after I bought the Sony 70-400mm lens. Then I missed the portability of this lens and decided to buy one again. I was struggled if I should return this lens or not. I wonder if you have another one (a sharp one) to replace this one. Thank you in advance. 長文ですが、よろしくお願いします。

• 英語訳してください。

one day I took a sheet of orienting in some Indian language, and tried to find the words the page looked like nothing but a jumble of strange sharps. Even when I was concentrat i ng on one short,common word,it took a long time before I could recognize that word as sight and pick it out of the others. Ofen I would go right by it without nothing it. In the same way, it takes a child some time to get sufficiently used to the sharps of letters and words to be able to see at a glance that this word is like that one, and this other word almost like it, and this other word altogether different. So we must give him plenty of time and not be surprised or upsept by what looks like slowness or thoughtless error. When a child, having lookd for a long time at two words on a page without seeing that they are the same, suddenly exclains, "Oh, I see, they are the same!" we must not think that what he has done is trivial. We must realize that the child has made a real and important discovery. 訳お願いします。

• 翻訳希望します

翻訳をお願いします 長文ですので、途中まででもいいです よろしくお願いします If you were to marry or live with this man, the aspect Show you would live in a traditional house, that is old, and has a lot of dark wood work, and lamps. It will have a light outside the door. It may be an apartment or all on one level, but in the other half of the building, or in a building not far away there would be close relative of his. This would be due to financial arrangements, but the relative would not always be there would come back and forth between this house and a place of study in another town or city. The house would be close to new houses that will have been built in the same style as to look like the old or original one that you and he will occupy. It will be a nice house but cold, needs a lot of heating. Yet this house for both of you would not be a first choice or ideal choice, you would both have some misgivings and doubts about it, but your happiness there would improve with time. This is a slow aspect so I rather think that things will remain as they are between you for a long time, the relationship will seem to get colder, and warmer, but it will continue Times when he is hardly there, times when he is always there, these things will fluctuate, so will your emotions and feelings about the future, and the things you really want from this relationship.

• 翻訳をお願いします!

どなたか翻訳をしていただけないでしょうか? 宜しくお願いします。 He is patient, dedicated, methodical in all he does. Very excellent in his work and ways, and will gain renown in his own field of life Likes to feel he has a purpose He has strong forebodings which do not materialize. However he does seem ambitious to advance himself, to get a better life, or to become free of difficulties. He is interested in the attaining of intellectual knowledge and while he uses it to help others he is idle or impractical or unassertive in using it to help himself, and advances very little in life, He could be parasitic, wasteful or carried by others. For he doesn’t seem to get personal power or position despite his high intelligence. Ends up doing what others want him to, or else evading and shipping out. He has a sense of duty but doesn't like responsibility. A passive dreamy nature. He is a clever and spiritual man. He is sympathetic and imaginative. Kind and generous. But escapist, never satisfied with life and prefers to retreat or escape from the realities of it in one way or another. Thus he has a weak side to his character that may need strengthening if he is to make the most of his opportunities in life. He is mildly mediumistic and may be interested in psychic and occult subjects. An uncommon person, spiritually inclined, mystical and yet well accepted.

• すみませんが英語に自信のある人はご協力をお願いします。

すみませんが英語に自信のある人はご協力をお願いします。 次の文の和訳を知りたいです。 For example,it is suggested that animals do not modify their signals to address one individual rather than another,and in this sense that they address no one in particular. This is certainly not true in specific instances,such as the exchange of calls between mating birds,or between the African honey guide and the honey badger that follows the bird. But even where it is true,in insect colonies and hunting packs,it is a characteristic of social organization and not of language. The animal addresses no one in particular because it addresses everyone in the community.The only individual that the animal does not know how to address is itself;so that its shortcoming is not that it cannot turn monologue into dialogue,but that it cannot turn it into soliloquy.The bee that tries to dance in an almost empty hive fails to read its context,but the dance remains a signal and not a private act.For the dance has been evolved by a process of natural selection whose effect is constantly to improve its social efficiency.The same pressure of selection has shaped all animal calls and gestures to make them,in general,signals that instruct the whole community. 文章は人間と動物のlanguageの違いを述べた文章です。 よろしくお願いします。長ければThe only individualの前まででもお願いします。