The Phenomenon of Spawning Marriages

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The celebration of one marriage frequently spawns others.
  • Spawn refers to the phenomenon of one marriage leading to the occurrence of multiple other marriages.
  • According to the definition, spawn means to make a series of things happen or start to exist, which can be applied to the situation where one marriage results in the initiation of several other marriages.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

spawn othersの意味

It is usual for the bride and groom to come from different village, so the celebration of one marriage frequently spawns others. 和英辞書でspawnを引いてもどの用法なのかわかりませんでしたが、 英英辞書http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/spawn_1を見ると、 to make a series of things happen or start to exist という定義が載っているので、 others=marriagesで、 「ひとつの結婚がほかの結婚を多く引き起こす」という解釈をしましたが、 これで合ってますか?

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • vec172
  • ベストアンサー率55% (15/27)
回答No.2

>和英辞書でspawnを引いてもどの用法なのかわかりませんでしたが、 手元の辞書を引くと、生み出す、引き起こすという意味になりましたが わかりづらいでしょうか? >これで合ってますか? 解釈はいいと思います。 ただ 「ひとつの結婚がほかの結婚を多く引き起こす」 の”多く”は不要です。 蛇足ですが、この文全体を意訳してみると 新郎と花嫁の出身が違うことはありふれているため、しばしばある人の結婚の祝賀会が他の人が結婚するきっかけとなることがある。 という感じになりますかね。(拙い表現ですが)

roiyaruzu
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました 産むという訳にとらわれていました

その他の回答 (2)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

合ってます。  もともとスポーンというのは、魚(とくにシャケ)などが卵を産む、(カエルの卵の場合もあり)たくさんの卵を作る,それに受精させる、と言うのが原義のようです。  語源は、15世紀の中英語に、アングロ系フランス語の「広げる」espandre を経由して、ラテン語の「伸ばす」 expandere から入って来ています。  だから魚の卵が孵化するるように、つぎからつぎへと、異村落間の結婚が広がった,と言う事でしょう。

roiyaruzu
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました 産む→生む という意味になっていったんですね

• ベストアンサー率28% (26/92)
回答No.1

それでいいと思います

roiyaruzu
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました

関連するQ&A

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

Wedding ceremonies in the United States vary depending on the cultural and religious background of the individuals getting married. In some traditions, it is important that a young man ask a young woman's parents' permission to get married. In some traditions, the bride will wear "something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue." Some couples believe it is unlucky to see each other on the morning of the wedding and even more unlucky if the groom sees the bride in her wedding dress just before the actual marrige ceremony. There are many traditions included in the various wedding ceremonies in the United States but one common tradition, regardless of culture or religion, is the wedding announcement. A wedding announcement is unque in English-speaking countries. In the United States famous newspapers like the New York Times have a website for wedding announcements. Whether a couple is newly engaged or newly married, they can make apublic announcement and submit information to the newspaper about the wedding or celebration. The following is a typical marriage announcement that appears in a newspaper. Sometimes the bride and groom make the announcement and sometimes the parents of either the bride or the groom make the announcement. This is an example of the parents of the bride making the announcement

• "some hunters" と "others" の対表現にsomeは必須か?

次の英文は英字新聞のある記事の一部です。 Barrow, the biggest of the far northern native villages with 4,600 people, has not only had beach erosion, but early ice breakup. Hunters have been stranded at sea, and others have been forced to go far beyond the usual hunting grounds to find seals, walruses and other animals. (http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Q57QVCZLw_MJ:www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm%3Fid%3D3989%26method%3Dfull+%22Barrow,+the+biggest+of+the+far+northern+native+villages+with+4,600+people%22&hl=ja&gl=jp&ct=clnk&cd=1の最後から四分の1ぐらいのところです) 最後の文は”hunters”と”others”が対になって用いられているように思います。文脈からして、ここではothersはother huntersとしか考えられませんが、こういう場合に”hunters”の前にsome(あるいはmany)が置かれる必要はないのでしょうか?手元の辞書や文法書などでは”some~”と”others”が対になって用いられることになっているように思います。 なお、nativeにも形式を変えて尋ねてみたんですが、どうも統一的な説明をもらえませんでした。

• 英語 和訳の添削

自分では不安な所が多々あります。和訳添削をお願いします。 As the celebration ends, the couple prepares to spend the first year of their marriage with Assalama's family. 一週間がたって、そのお祝いが終わる時、彼らの結婚の最初の一年は、新婦の家族と一緒に過ごす。 Mohamed will offer displays of respect to his in-laws, working hard to win their approval. ムハメッドは、彼らの承認を得るために、一生懸命働く。 Once he does that, he will take his bride back to his camp and start his nomad's caravan moving again. 彼が承認されると、彼の花嫁を彼のキャンプに連れ戻すことが出来る。彼のキャラバンを再び動かし始める事ができる。

• 訳と説明をお願いします

◆ゲームについての話 (1)Online gaming shows us that one of the first things we will do with any new technology is learn how to play games with it. Online gamingがshowsするのはthat以下の内容だということはわかるのですが、that以下の内容がイマイチわかりません。 ◇以下は結婚式の話です (2)Is it at Disneyland with you dressed as Mickey Mouse? ミッキーの格好してるってことでしょうか?コスプレ…? (3)In the United States, it has become fashionable for bride and groom to write personal vows to each other, either in place of, or in addition to, the usual religious vows. either in place ofの意味と、どこに係るのかがわかりません。in addition toはthe usual religious vowsに加えて、ということでしょうか。 (4)Personal vows give people the chance to express their feelings of love-in their own words- to the person they will be spending their lives with. -はたぶんダッシュだと思います。 それぞれの訳と、疑問点にお答えいただければ幸いです。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Paradoxically, it is the first factor - marring someone you do not love yet (but are attracted to ) that leads to the second one. In arranged marriages, the wedding is seen not as the concluding point, but only the beginning of a relationship that is marked more by hope than by expectation. Where couples in a "romantic" marriage might find the reality of everyday life a comedown after the excitement of the courtship period, the courtship dance in arranged marriages begins only after the wedding ceremony. As many South Asians with experience in this matter will enthusiastically tell you, this leads to the couple falling in love.    Are all arranged marriages successful? No more than all romantic marriages are. But, ultimately, what makes a marriage work is not how it began but what makes a marriage work is not how it began but what you do with it. Mutual respect, realistic expectations and a willingness to compromise may, in the long run, be more important than all the undying promises made in moments of passion. Marriage is a long race; it is learning the other's gait as you go. What matters is whether you are able to find a common rhythm.

• 一つの単語には複数の意味がある。合うのをどう探す

logistics(plural) =the practical arrangement that are needed in order to make a plan that involves a lot of people and equipment successful. これはどう文法的に読めばよいのですか? euipment successfulの部分は、前のmakeが5文型で、make a plan successful and make equipment sucessfulでしょうか?successful を形容詞でまえの名詞にかかると考えて、「successfulな備品?」では意味がおかしいですよね? the practical arragenmentの意味はどう正確に決めますか?thatの関係詞を利用して、 are needed in oter to make a plan計画を作るのに必要とされる prcatical arragementと読んで、意味を決めますか? 英英辞書を引くと、practical もarrangementも複数の意味がありますが(辞書を引くと、たいていの単語は複数の意味がありますよね)、辞書にある複数の意味から文脈に合う意味を決めるとき、どう専門家の方、または普段から英英辞典を使いこなしている方は読んでいますでしょうか? practical arrangementとはどういう意味なのでしょうか? that are needed to make a plan practical http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/practical_1 arrangement http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/arrangement 複数質問がありますが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英英辞書で文頭に in が・・・

typically という単語を調べようと思いました。 Oxfordの説明の1つは以下でした。 (http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/typically) in a way that shows the usual qualities or features of a particular type of person, thing or group typically American hospitality 文頭に in が出てきて私のレベルでは解読不可能でしたのでLONGMANで調べました。 (http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/typically) 残念ながら同じ表現が使用されていました。 in a way that shows the usual or expected features of someone or something この表現が英英辞書にはよく出てくるようなのでそろそろ理解したいです。 私としては in が無くてよいと思えます。 「~というway」 でスッキリします。 in があることで、「~というwayの中???」 というふうになってしまって意味不明です。 どなたか教えていただけないでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。m(_ _)m

• the rights of humanityとは?

We frequently talk about human rights, but we ought to talk too about the rights of humanity. Why do some people have to walk bare feet, so that others can ride in luxurious automobiles? Why do some people have to live 35 years, so that others can live 70? Why do some people have to be so miserably poor, so that others can be excessively rich? I speak on behalf of the children of the world who do not have a piece of bread. 上記の文章でhuman rightsとthe rights of humanityの違いが分かりません。 この作者は2つの言葉にどのような意味の違いを込めたのだと思われますか? 日本語に訳すとどちらも「人権」となるのではありませんか? なるべく詳しく解説お願いします。 また、この言葉は誰が言ったのかご存知の方教えて下さい。 宜しくお願いします。

• 以下の和訳をお願いします。

こんにちは。お世話になります。以下の和訳をお願いします。 なるべく原文に即した形でお願い致します。ちょっとしたニュアンスのところが訳せず困っています。 お忙しいところすいませんが、お時間のある方よろしくおねがいいたします。 My employer/co-workers have discriminated against me. Some people act as though I am less competent than usual by others. I feel I have been treated with less respect than usual by others. I feel others are concerned they could “catch” my illness through Contact like a handshake or eating food I prepare. I feel others avoid me because of my illness. Some family members have rejected me because of my illness. I feel some friends have reject me because of my illness. I encounter embarrassing situations as a result of my illness. Due to my illness others seem to feel awkward and tense when they are around me. I have experienced financial hardship that has affected how I feel about myself. My job security has been affected by my illness. I have experienced financial hardship that has affected my relationship with others. I feel others think I am to blame for my illness. I do not feel I can be open with others about my illness. I fear someone telling others about my illness without my permission. I feel I need to keep my illness a secret. I feel I am at least partially to blame for my illness. I feel set apart from others who are well. I have a greater need than usual for reassurance that others care about me. I feel lonely more often than usual. Due to my illness, I have a sense of being unequal in my relationships with others. I feel less competent than I did before my illness. Due to my illness, I sometimes feel useless. Changes in my appearance have affected my social relationships.

• 和訳お願いします

JAPANTIMESの記事よりわからない箇所がありましたので、和訳お願いします。 Japan suffers from a severe lack of socially acceptable alternative lifestyles. A young woman facing marriage and the prospect of childbirth in Japan today is wary of the total commitment that these entail. If the marriage ends in divorce, how will she survive with her children? Enforcement of lows requiring dads to pay maintenance is notoriously lax. Japanese society is not kind to single mothers and there are precious few places for them to meet a possible new partner. Not many Japanese men will marry a woman with children ; and the society is largely intolerant of families with children from two different marriages living together. 長いですが、どなたかお答えいただけたら嬉しいです。よろしくお願いいたします。