英語の入試問題での参加者の知識について

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 神戸大の英語の入試問題の冒頭部分で、参加者達に知られないで会話を記録することについて疑問があります。
  • without the participants' knowledgeという表現について、参加者達についての知識を持たないこととは違うのではないかと思います。
  • しかし、参加者達についての知識を持っていても持っていなくても会話を記録することには変わりがないのではないでしょうか。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

神戸大の英語の入試問題の冒頭部分です。

神戸大の英語の入試問題の冒頭部分です。 You may think that we make no drastic change to speech sounds we get through the ear. In truth the brain controls the amount of information within reasonable limits. Two researchers recorded spontaneous conversation without the participants' knowledge. ここで、without the participants'knowledgeの訳です。 「参加者達に知られないで」となっているようですが、 Train arrived at the station without delay.の場合は、delayするのは、主語のtrainですよね。同様に、knowledgeを持つのは、researcherではないのでしょうか。 「参加者達についてのついての知識を持たずに」とはならないのでしょうか。 ただ、内容的には、「参加者達に知られないで記録する」のは盗聴になるからよくないことでしょうし、 「参加者達についてのついての知識を持っても、持たなくても」会話を記録するのになにも違いはないから、変な文章のような気がしますが。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数15

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.3

without someone's knowledge で「(人)に知られずに、(人)の知らない間に、(人)に知らせないまま」という意味になるようです。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/without+knowledge/UTF-8/?ref=sa "without the participants' knowledge" で検索しますと、調査に関連した文ばかりが目につきますね。調査の手法として存在するようです。 こちらの本の記述(190ページの終わりから191ページ頭にかけて)にそれについて詳しく書かれています。 http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=Ej3wstotgkQC&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=%22without+the+participants%27+knowledge%22&source=bl&ots=wdPyGN8wEk&sig=M_ZMtF8M9OXUs4DiqYjWkiOOTyI&hl=ja&ei=mIDrS8jAAsqLkAWcxvT4Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CEAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22without%20the%20participants%27%20knowledge%22&f=false >When full disclosure poses the risk of biased results, researchers sometimes use covert data collection or concealment (the collection of information without the participants' knowledge or consent) or deception (either withholding information from participants' or providing false information).

wakakusa01
質問者

お礼

tjhirokoさま 情報提供有り難うございます。 よくわかりました。

その他の回答 (3)

• googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.4

>Two researchers recorded spontaneous conversation without the participants' knowledge.  「所有格+名詞」の関係を「主語+動詞」と理解するのか「動詞+目的語」と理解するのかを判断する基準は、まず「名詞」のもととなっている「動詞」が自動詞であるか他動詞であるかということです。 (1) We were surprised at John's appearance.   「私たちはジョンが現れたことに驚いた。」 (2) He was very keen about his children's education.   「彼は子供たちを教育することに熱心だった。」  (1)の「appearance」のもとの動詞である「appear」は自動詞ですから「主語+動詞」と、(2)の「education」のもとの動詞である「educate」は他動詞ですから「動詞+目的語」という関係があると考えることができます。  しかし、「knowledge」という名詞のもとの動詞である「know」は自動詞と他動詞の両方の意味(用法)がありますので、このような場合には文脈で判断することになります。  お尋ねの英文では「spontaneous」という言葉が手掛かりになります。「自然な会話」を録音するためには、話し手が録音していることを意識していないという状況が必要です。人間は、自分の声が録音されていると思っているとどうしても「よそ行きの話し方」になってしまうものです。  したがって「without the participants' knowledge」は「参加者たちが(録音されていることを)知らない状況で」と理解するべきでしょう。  「盗聴では?」とのご心配はもっともなものですが、知らない者(参加者)同士が研究施設のような場所で行う会話は他人に知られてこまるような内容ではないでしょうし、おそらく録音後に承諾を得るような配慮もされるのではないでしょうか。  ご参考になれば・・・。

wakakusa01
質問者

お礼

googoo1956さま 貴重な判断基準 「主語+動詞」と理解するのか「動詞+目的語」と理解するのか 有り難うございます。

回答No.2

the participants' knowledge で「参加者が知っていること」という意味です。 「参加者の知るところ」「参加者の知識となっている」という感じです。 このような実験を行う場合に、あらかじめ被験者に知らせていると、意識してしまって正しい実験結果が出ないからです。 盗聴云々に関しては確かにそうなのですが、被験者にあらかじめ「実験の際のあらゆるデータを自由に使うことを許可する」という念書を書かせた上で報酬を約束している。 あるいは、録音することは言ってあり、「何の目的で録音するのか」は知らせずに、普通に会話するように指示している。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

「参加者達についてのついての知識を持たずに」とはならないと思います。 knowledge =「知識」としてしまうと理解に誤りが生じるかもしれません。 knowledge は know =「知る」から派生した語であることを考えると、without one's knowledge に「~に知られることなく」と訳すのは自然に感じられます。 without my knowledge というのを考えてみると、「わたしの知らないうちに」という訳になると思います。「知る」という動詞の主体は「わたし」であるわけです。 without delay の場合には、その主体になるものの存在が表現されていないので、「遅滞なく」という訳をつけるわけです。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳お願いします。

You may think that we make no drastic change to speech sounds we get through the ear. In truth, the brain controls the amount of information within reasonable limits. Two researchers recorded spontaneous conversation without the participants' knowledge. The tape recording was then cut up into recordings of individual words. These individual word recordings were played to people who were asked to identify what they heard. Surprisingly, played in isolation, only about half of the words were identifiable. Yet, when we are listening to continuous speech, we do not have the impression that we are guessing and filling in gaps. The speech sounds clear. If the tape recordings are cut up into larger and larger parts, then the comprehensibility of the speech increases. The normal Clarity of speech is an illusion. The brain imposes an interpretation upon the speech that it hears and constructs hypotheses about the general context and meaning, which enables the interpretation of much of the input. So, when two people claim that they heard a speaker say something slightly different, it may be that both are accurate. Each of them may have heard, in terms of a higher-level interpretation by the brain, a different sentence. The perception of speech may sometimes be a rather automatic process. We may not be aware that we are monitoring conversations in which we are not taking part. At a party you may be able to identify your own name in a conversation across the room despite apparent unawareness of the content of the rest of the conversation. In order to recognize that your name was spoken, the brain must have been monitoring the progress and speech pattern of the conversation which was taking place elsewhere, even though you did not notice yourself doing this. It appears that we can have the capacity to monitor more than one chain of speech at once, though it may not be possible for us to monitor both to the same degree, or for us to have full conscious awareness of the content of both. We are also able to attend selectively to one conversation, even if there are loud competing conversations in the background, by Extracting the relevant information from the complex signal of mixed speech. This is referred to as the cocktail party phenomenon.

• 和訳がわかりません

We mentioned knowledge engineering as one of the newly emerging discriplines sparked by the Information Age, similar to how the Industrial Revolution gave rise to mechanical and electrical engineering. Let us quote Peter Druker once again : The knowledge we now consider knowledge proves itself in action ・・・・・以下略 上記の文の訳が特にわかりにくく困っています。 とりあえず私の作成した和訳です。 「我々は産業革命が機械・電子工学を生じさせた技法に類似した情報時代によって脚光を浴び、新たに現れた訓練の一つとして知識工学について言及した。Peter Drukerの論文をもう一度引用しよう。我々が今熟考している知識の知識は行動においてそれ自身を供給する。」 細かい疑問点に関しては以下の通りです。 We mentioned knowledge engineering as one of the newly emerging discriplines sparked by the Information Age, similar to how the Industrial Revolution gave rise to mechanical and electrical engineering. どこまでが主語なのかが曖昧です。 Let us quote Peter Druker once again Let us~という文はどのように和訳したらいいのでしょうか? The knowledge we now consider knowledge proves itself in action 短い文章ながら主語述語関係などがつかみづらいです。 とても困ってます。ご教授願います。

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

we cannot know too much about the language we speak everyday of our lives.Most of us ,it is true,can get along fairly well without knowing very much about our language and without even taking the trouble to open a volume of "The Oxford English Dictionary." But knowledge is power. The power of rightly chosen words is very great,whether those words are intended to inform,to amuse,or to move. できるだけ丁寧に解説して頂けると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

• 文章の構造と訳を教えてください。

訳に自信が持てません。確実にこの訳で間違いない、という感覚があまりしないのです。間違っている箇所や理解が及ばない箇所があれば教えて下さい。 1)Suppose that a dog's conditioned response to the light has been extinguished and no longer brings forth a flow of saliva. 訳)光に対する犬の条件反応という提示は消去され、もはや唾液の分泌は起こらなくなった。 構文は、以下のように捉えました。 【Suppose that a dog's conditioned response to the light】…S 【has been extinguished】…V and 【no longer】…S【brings】…V【forth a flow of saliva.】…O In general, then, extinction limits the permanency of a conditioned response, while spontaneous recovery ensures that this is done without undue haste. 訳)つまり、一般的には、条件反応の永続性という消去の限度は、自発的回復の間は、これが過度に進まず行われることを保障するのだ。 In general, then, 【extinction limits (that) the permanency of a conditioned response】…S , 【while spontaneous recovery】…S 【ensures】…V【that this is done without undue haste.】…O

• 英語ができる方、問題をお願いします。

英文中の空所に入る適切な語、または語句を選択肢から選びなさい。またその英文を訳しなさい。 1. It's started raining. If it ( ) raining, we could go on a picnic. (1)is (2)isn't (3)was (4)weren't 2. If the weather were too hot or too cold, plants ( ) grow. (1)could (2)would not (3)had to (4)won't 3. We would have gone to see the movie last night of we ( ) it was so funny. (1)know (2)would know (3)had known (4)could know 4. If I had known about the good news earlier, I ( ) to congratulate you. (1)would call (2)must have called (3)would have called (4)should call 5. If my son had taken my advice, he ( ) successful now. (1)is (2)was (3)would be (4)would have been 6. I wish I ( ) back the clock and do it all over again. (1)can turn (2)could tuen (3)had turned (4)have turned 7. I wish ( ) much more when I was young. (1)study (2)studied (3)have studied (4)had studied 8. If ( ) he had told her the truth. (1)timely (2)only (3)plainry (4)suddenly 9. It's time Bill ( ) home. (1)go (2)will go (3)goes (4)went 10. ( ) his idleness, he would be a nice fellow. (1)If he would be (2)If he were not (3)If it were not for (4)If it was 11. ( ) for the examination, I could have gone shopping with my friends. (1)Without (2)If (3)But (4)With 12. ( ) for your support, we wouldn't be here. (1)Not were it (2)It were not (3)Were not it (4)Were it not 13. ( ) I known more about the man, I would have gone shopping with my friends. (1)If (2)As (3)Were (4)Had 14. ( ) anything happen to you, you can always call me on my mobile phone. (1)If (2)Should (3)Unless (4)Would 15. ( ) your help, we would have failed. (1)Were it not been for (2)Had it not been for (3)If it had been for (4)Without being 同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語を入れなさい。また、(a)の文を訳しなさい。 1. (a) Because of the storm, I couldn't arrive earlier. (b) If ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) for the storm, I couldn't arrive earlier. 2. (a) If he had helped us, we could have succeeded. (b) ( ) his help, we could have succeeded. 3. (a) If you heard him talk, you would think that he was a new student. (b) ( ) ( ) him talk, you would think that he was a new student. 4. (a) If he the university students had not started at once, they would have missed the train bound for Tokyo. (b) The university students started at once; ( ) they would have missed the train bound for Tokyo. 以上です。 お手数をおかけしますが、どうかよろしくお願いいたします。 ミスなどがありましたらお知らせください。

• 英語ができる方、問題をお願いいたします。

英文中の空所に入る適切な語または語句を選択肢から選びなさい。またその英文を訳しなさい。 1.( ) you live long and die happy!  (1)Should (2)Would (3)Can (4)May 2.Democracy ( ) without freedom of speech.  (1)cannot surviving (2)not can survive (3)cannot survive (4)can't be survive 3.According to the law, you ( ) be 18 years old or over to obtain a driver's license in Japan.  (1)can't (2)must (3)might (4)may not 4.My father ( ) quit school when he was fourteen because of his poor health.  (1)had to (2)must (3)ought to (4)should 5.Our son's soccer uniform is still in good shape. We ( ) buy a new one for him yet.  (1)have to (2)must (3)don't have to (4)should 6.My Japanese teacher says everybody ( ) sutdy at least one foregin language.  (1)ought (2)should (3)may be (4)have to 7.I'd rather ( ) by taxi.  (1)having gone (2)going (3)to go (4)go 8.Since I'm very tired, I ( ) join the party tonigt.  (1)had not rather (2)would not rather (3) would rather not (4) had better not to 9.You had better ( ) your homwork soon.  (1)to finish (2)finishing (3)be finished (4)finish 10.We ( ) tell anymore about this just yet.  (1)didn't have better (2)had better not (3)had not better (4)haven't better 11.When he was a newcomer, he ( ) read several different newspapers every morning.  (1)used to (2) was used to (3)got used to (4)is used to 12.I ( ) this movie before, but I'm not sure.  (1)must see (2)might see (3) should see (4)may have seen 13.Katherine lost her purse yesterday. She ( ) it on the bus.  (1)must drop (2)must be dropping (3)must have dropped (4)must have been dropping 14.He ( ) have introduced you to his sister yesterday because she died three years ago.  (1)cannot (2)must (3)ought to (4) shouldn't 15.We've just missed the train. We ( ) left our office a little ealier.  (1)should (2)should out (3)should have (4)should not have 16.George and I had a great time at the party last night. You ( ) come.  (1)had to (2)might have (3)must have (4)ought to have 17.Mary couldn't help ( ) when she heard the news about the championship.  (1)to smiling (2)smile (3)smiling (4)to smile 18."Your apartment is really compact." "You may ( ) think this is small, but it's actually larger than average."  (1)good (2)well (3)better (4)best 19.There's no bus for two hours, so we ( ) as well take a taxi.  (1)might (2)must (3)would (4)should 量が多いかもしれませんが、よろしくお願いします。 スペルミスなどありましたらお知らせください。

• お願いします

I believe we can learn a lot of things from tutoring, as implied by the word "to teach is to learn." I can re-recognize my knowledge, and it can more deeply my knowledge. And it seems that it connects my growth. <explain your philosophy of tutoring> というお題なのですが、日本語訳が「to teach is to learnという言葉があるように、教える事から多くのことを学べると思います。自分の知識を再認識できるし、そうすることによってさらに自分の知識を深められる。そしてそれは自分の成長にもつながると思う。」 英文がおかしくないか見て欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳お願いします。

1. The ability to speak and understand Japanese. Extra bonus points if you can read and *appreciate* the newspapers, “Yomiuri shinbun” or “Sankei shinbun” in Japanese. 2. The ability to read the atmosphere without any verbal communication. 3. The knowledge of tacit protocols that are unique to Japan to help accomplish No.2. (Maybe you can pick up some from the other posts). 4. The ability to push yourself onto a packed train every morning. The Nightmarish Reality For Japanese Commuters 5. The ability to accept any unfortunate/unreasonable/disconsolate situation or outcome by saying “Shoganai” especially when it’s caused by authorities or people in power. 6. The ability to not think for oneself and blend in the whole community as not to draw attention to oneself. (we know we’ll suffer the consequences if we do). 7. The inclination to be obsessed with being clean and hygienic. 8. The inclination to classify people with Japanese nationality as foreigners due to their looks or their willingness to ignore protocols — especially nonsensical protocols. 9. The ability to be intentionally naive without knowing it.

• 英語の問題です。

三つ目のような、誤ったものを選択する問題が苦手です。訳とともに、正しい答えをつけていただけると助かります。ポイントなどがあれば、お願いします。 【穴埋め問題】 1 首脳会議は7つの国で構成されている。   The summit meeting is () up of seven countries. 2 約束は必ず守ってください。   Don´t () to () your promise. 3 昨夜は映画を見て夜更かししてしまいました。   Last night I () () late watching the movie. 4 私は彼女の手を握った。   I held her () the hand. 5 私はワルツとタンゴの区別がつかない。   I cannot tell a waltz () a tango. 6 明日物理の試験があります。   We have a test () physics tomorrow. 7 私は一分違いで電車に乗り遅れた。   I missed the train () a minute. 【記号問題】()内と同じ意味の語 1 This tie does not (go with) your shirt. 2 I couldn´t (make out) what he said. 3 The accident (took place) in the strange building. 4 What do the letters UFO (stand for)? 5 Mary doesn´t (care for) chocolates very much. アunderstand イrepresent ウmatch エbear オlike カhappen 【誤り選択問題】 1 When ア(it) comes to イ(talk) about sports,ウ(no one) can エ(beat) Jack in his class. 2 It was ア(generous) イ(to them) ウ(to share) their house エ(with) the refugees. 3 He ア(never did) any イ(houseworks) and he ウ(got) terrible エ(results) in school. 4 ア(The two presidents) finally イ(reached to) ウ(an agreement) エ(at) the conference. 5 I ア(have told) him last week イ(that) he ウ(should) エ(change) his mind. 【語句整序問題】 1 He(killed,to,thought,been,was,have)in World War II. 2 You can´t expect everything(you,go,as,it,want,to)do. 3 You should read(as,books,do,good,such,will,you). 4 They had no idea(what,like,life,electricity,was,without). 5 A(acted,would,sense,of,man,have,not)in such a way. 以上です。

• 英語の問題です。

訳や解説などございましたら、付けてくださると助かります。 お願いします。 【A】 1 She proposed that the plan () put into action.   アbe イis ウwas エwould be 2 He regrets ()harder in his youth.   アhaving not studied イnot ta have studied ウnot to study エnot having studied 3 Whatever he says, the fact () it is difficult to make a living nowadays.   アremaining イremains that ウthat remaining エthat remains 4 Mr.Smith, a prosperous businessman, does not know () to be poor.   アhou it is like イwhich is it like ウwhat it is like エlike what it is 5 That´s nonsense. ()but a fool would believe it.   アAll イAnyone ウEveryone エNobody 6 Susie and her sister are so () that they could almost be twins. 【B】 1 Robbers entered the house by force last night.   Robbers broke () the house last night. 2 It was easy for me to find the library.   I had () difficulty in () the library. 3 His composition is far from satisfactory.   His composition () much to be desired. 4 How many people are there in Japan?   () is the population of Japan? 【C】 1 The death penalty was (done away with) in the country in 1993. 2 The police finally began to (look into) the manner. 3 John really (takes after) his father, especially the way he walks. 4 I recommend that you (set about) your business without delay. 5 The outdoor concert will be (put off) because of the approaching typhoon. アabolish イstart ウrespect エpostpone オresemble カinvestigate  【D】 A      B      C     D 1actor   actress  hero   () 2see    sight    prove  () 3swim   swimming die    () 4anxiety  anxious  energy  () 5majority minority  comedy  () 【E】誤りの選択問題です。 1 (Do you mind) (to come) (to) a party on Saturday (at) the International House? 2 Was (it) last Sunday (that) we (went fishing) (to the river)? 3 He will (become) to (see) the problem (in) a new (light). 4 (Other) things (are) equal, this is (far) better than (that). 5 Traveling by (the train) is (more) comfortable (than) traveling (by air). 【F】 1 (to,being,are,made,efforts,clean) our cities and rivers. 2 (have,hand,all,is,in,to,you,do) this report. 3 Although he is ten years ald, he (so,as,write,cannot,much) his own name. 4 I remember the event as (had,as,happened,if,clearly,it) only yesterday. 【G】 1 A:Mary! ()   B:I´m getting married.   アGuess what! イTake it easy! ウWhat about you! エSay when? 2 A:May I speak to Mr.Komazawa?   B:Certainly, sir. Wait a moment, please. ()   アI can´t hear you. イI can´t speak to you. ウHe holds up now. エHe is on another line. 以上です。