• ベストアンサー

スマートな日本語訳ができません。

スマートな日本語訳がうまく表現できないのです。助力下さい!宜しくお願いします。 作家の同僚の日本人が小学校の子供と今だに、一緒に寝ている事について…. I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. 私は、それぞれの両親がどれくらい早く子供に独立することを教えるか決して実感できなかった。 Does the writer think most Americans are willing to make sacrifice that his colleague makes? 作家は、ほとんどのアメリカ人が彼の同僚が喜んで犠牲を払う気があると思いますか? Which do you think is better, raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure? あなたは、強くて独立している子供に育てるのと、彼らに安心を感じて成長してもらうのと、どちらがより良いと思いますか?

• 英語
  • 回答数9
  • ありがとう数11

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Meursault
  • ベストアンサー率42% (36/85)
回答No.5

抜粋とはだいぶ印象が違いますね。 こんなものでいかがでしょう。 (あと、他の回答者の皆さんにも、全文を見直した上で再登場お願いしたいな。ヨロぴク) A lot of American parents would say sleeping with children spoils them and makes them too dependent on their parents. アメリカ人の親だったら、多くの人は「添い寝なんかしてやったら子供は甘ったれて依頼心の深い人間になってしまう」、と言うだろう。 I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. このことを知る前には、日本の親がわが子にどの時期から自立心を叩き込むのかを、私は知る由もなかった。 But it is not just for the kids. しかし、これは子供だけの問題ではない。親の側にも、日米で大きな違いがある。 I don't think most American parents are willing to make sacrifice that my colleague makes - that is, sacrificing his own sleep so his child will feel safe and secure. 私の同僚のように、無理をして子供と寝てやるようなことを、アメリカの親はまずしないだろう。つまり、子供が安心して眠れるように、親が自分がよく眠れなくてもを我慢する、というのはアメリカではありそうもない。 Actually, this really impressed me, and to tell the truth, I am not sure which is better: raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure. このことにはほとほと感心した。実をいえば、内心いまだによく分からない、子供を強く自立心旺盛に育てるのと、おっとり暢気に育てるのと、どちらがいいものだろうか。

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

長文の訳をご丁寧にありがとうございました。 こんな沢山、この質問を取り上げてもらえるなんて思ってなかったので、大感激しています。 見ず知らずの方が、こんなに親切に教えてくださって。。。うるうる。 でもここで問題がひとつ発生しました。自分でもどの訳し方をすればいいのか、混乱してしまっています。 すべての回答を別紙にコピーして見比べ、再検討してみます。 ご教授ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (8)

• Meursault
  • ベストアンサー率42% (36/85)
回答No.9

う~ん。皆さん深い読みですね。 自分の間違いと読みの浅さに顔から火が出ます。 間違いは、2文のthese parentsを目の前にいる日本人と勘違いしたこと。思い込みを犯してしまいました。恥ずかしい。そのせいでhow以下の処理もしそこないました。むしろ、最初の抜粋を訳したほうが正しかった。はじめのとおり、感嘆文を下敷きにして理解するほうが正しいですね。 3文のforの理解は、意見が分かれましたね。わたしは、go for=be true ofの感じで理解しましたが、「子供のため」と理解すると、前後のつながりがよく取れないような気がするのですが。

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

再々登場ありがとうございます。  Meursaultさんの ”文脈請求” (^-^) により、こんなに沢山のアドバイスがいただけました! 感謝です!

• Josimba
  • ベストアンサー率26% (24/89)
回答No.8

文脈の補足、ありがとうございます。Meursaultさんにも感謝します。それと間違った訳をしている事に気付きました(でもこれは文脈どうのこうの以前の問題・・)。 A lot of American parents would say sleeping with children spoils them and makes them too dependent on their parents. 「親子が一緒に添い寝する事によって、子供は甘やかされ親離れのなかなかできない子に育つのだと、アメリカ人の親は大抵言うだろう。」 I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. 「アメリカ人の親は子供を自立させる為の教育を随分早くから始めているという事実に、気付いて驚いた。」 But it is not just for the kids. 「自立心が養われていないのは、子供だけの問題ではないような気がする(日本では親も同様に自立していないのではないか)。」 *私はこのように解釈しましたが、確信はありません。 I don't think most American parents are willing to make sacrifice that my colleague makes - that is, sacrificing his own sleep so his child will feel safe and secure. 「私の同僚は、自分の睡眠を削ってまで子供が安心して眠れるように気を配っているが、アメリカ人の親なら子供の為にこのような犠牲を払ったりする事なんて考えられないだろう。」 Actually, this really impressed me, and to tell the truth, I am not sure which is better: raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure. 「このことを知ってから、私は感慨深くなった。実際、子供に自立心を養わせるのと安心感を常に提供するのでは、どちらが子供にとってより良い選択になるのか、迷うところだ。」

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

(☆o☆)! Josimba先生。再登場ありがとうございます。 この質問をこんなに取り上げてもらえるなんて思ってなかったので、感謝、感激しています。 今、すべての回答を別紙にコピーして見比べ、再検討しているところです。 再度のご教授ありがとうございました。

• adjective
  • ベストアンサー率17% (241/1356)
回答No.7

アメリカでは親と子が離れて寝るのは一般的ですよね。 超意訳 アメリカ人の私でも説明がつきませんでね。なんでそんなに早く子に独立を教え始めるのか。 でもよーくかんがえてみると子供のためだけではない。 私は多くのアメリカ人が犠牲を望むことが考えられません。なんでって親である自分たちの睡眠を削って子に安心感を与えるんでしょ。親は大変でしょ。 (でも日本で一般的なことを考えると)よく分からなくなってきました。 子供を独立心をもたせるのと、安心感を与えて寝かせるのとどちらがいいのかな。

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難うございました。 how earlyは「なんでそんなに早く」と訳せばいいのですね。 「どれくらい早く」などと最初に訳していたので... ”超意訳”とありますが、”その通り”という感じがします。

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.6

多くのアメリカ人の親たちは、子供と一緒に寝ることは子供を甘やかすことになり、親離れできなくさせると言うだろう。 わたしは、それまで、アメリカの親たちが、どんなに早い時期に子供にひとり立ちするよう教え始めるか、気づいていなかった。 しかし、それは子供のためだけではないのだ。 アメリカの親たちは、私の(日本人の)同僚ほどには、子供たちのために何かを我慢するということをしないのではないだろうか。つまり、子供のたちを心配させず、安心していられるように、自分たち自身の睡眠を我慢するというようには。 実際、このことには考えさせられた。そして、正直言って私にはどちらのやり方が良いのか確信がもてない。子供をたくましくひとり立ちさせるように育てるのと、子供たちを心配させず安心していられるように育てるのと。 かなり適当な意訳です。 特に"impressed"を「考えさせられた」とするのは、相当変ですが、次の文とのつながりが良いのと、「感銘を受けたのなら、少しはあれこれ考えるだろう」ということで、こうしました。 採点よろぴく(^0^)

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

素晴らしい英語の達人さん方にここにお集まり頂き、たじろいでおります。ご回答有難うございます。 >採点よろぴく(^0^) ここまで最強のメンバーさんに集まっていただくと、採点の仕様がありません。 私自身も混乱しています。 逆にd-yさんなら、どのように採点されますか?とお伺いしたいくらいです。

noname#140046
noname#140046
回答No.4

翻訳は前後の文章とのバランスが大事ですから、どこまでスマートになるかは確信がもてませんが、ちょっとプロの技らしきものを使って訳してみます。使った技は、主語の省略、指示語の刈り込み、それに文構造の解体です。 1 米国の親がはやくから子供をひとり立ちさせようとしているなどとは、それまで夢にも思ったことはありませんでした。 2 この同僚と同じように、アメリカ人はたいていこうした犠牲をはらう気があるとでも思っているのでしょうか。 3 強い、ひとり立ちできる人間にしたいのか、それとも、いつまでも周囲に守られて安穏としている大人にしたいのか。どちらなのでしょう。

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

「プロの技」の回答を有難うございました! 予想を上回る、沢山の回答を寄せて頂いたことに、どの回答も思わずパソコンに向かって合掌したくなるほど深く感謝しています。 「主語の省略、指示語の刈り込み、それに文構造の解体です。」ですね! んー。なるほど、英会話見習い中の私が使いこなせるか不安ですが、 この3つのことは、これから英文を訳す時に気に留めて、心がけるようにします。 有難うございました!

• Meursault
  • ベストアンサー率42% (36/85)
回答No.3

もう少し文脈があると確定的になるのですが、人物関係がよく分かりません。 こんなところでどうでしょう。 I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. 私は親たちが、子供がごく小さいうちに一人で寝るようにしつけていることに、以前は気づかずにいた。 Does the writer think most Americans are willing to make sacrifice that his colleague makes? 筆者は、同僚がしてくれるのと同じような無理を、どのアメリカ人でも大概はしてくれるものだと思っているのだろうか。 Which do you think is better, raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure? 強くたくましい子供に育てるのと、おっとりと暢気に育てるのと、どちらにしたものでしょう。

lily-valley
質問者

補足

レギュラー回答者のMeursaultさんですね!勉強させていただいています。 ご回答有難うございました。 一番下の文章は意味が把握できましたが、あと二つは少しこんがらがってしまいました。 >もう少し文脈があると確定的になるのですが、人物関係がよく分かりません。 説明不足でした!すみません。 この文を書いている人の同僚の日本人が小学校の子供と今だに、一緒に寝ている事について…. この文を書いている人(アメリカ人)は驚いています。 A lot of American parents would say sleeping with children spoils them and makes them too dependent on their parents. I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. But it is not just for the kids. I don't think most American parents are willing to make sacrifice that my colleague makes - that is, sacrificing his own sleep so his child will feel safe and secure. Actually, this really impressed me, and to tell the truth, I am not sure which is better: raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure. いかがでしょうか?教えていただけると嬉しいです。 宜しくお願いします。

• yama-a
  • ベストアンサー率65% (13/20)
回答No.2

lily-valleyさん、こんにちは。 かなり意訳してみます。 I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. 私は、彼らの両親がどのくらいの時期から(子供が何歳くらいになったら)子供 たちに独立することを教え始めるのか想像がつかなかった。 Does the writer think most Americans are willing to make sacrifice that his colleague makes? 作家は、ほとんどのアメリカ人に、彼と同じように犠牲になる覚悟があると思う のだろうか? Which do you think is better, raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure? 子供が他人に頼らずに強く生きて行ける人間に育つということと、ただ危害を 受けることなく安心して育って行くということと、どちらを優先すべきだと 思いますか?

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

yama-aさん、こんにちは。 ご教授ありがとうございました。 辞書に載っている日本語にこだわり過ぎていると、いけないという事が解りました。 ちょっと関係のないお話ですが、以前のyama-aさんの回答で、日本語の教え方のお話しはとても参考になりました。 私も日本語教師??とまではいきませんが、ボランティアでおしゃべりの練習をさせていただいています。 今後とも宜しくお願いします。

• Josimba
  • ベストアンサー率26% (24/89)
回答No.1

>I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. 「子供に独立心を養わせる為に、その親たちはどれだけ早くから教育を始めているかという事に、今まで気づかなかった。」 >Does the writer think most Americans are willing to make sacrifice that his colleague makes? 「アメリカ人なら同僚の為に犠牲を払う事を惜しまないと、その作者は思っているのですか?」 >Which do you think is better, raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure? 「子供達を強くたくましく育てるのと、常に安心感を覚えさせながら育てるのでは、どちらがより良いと思いますか?」 すみません、少し意訳しました。基本的にはlily-valleyの訳でも間違ってないと思います。

lily-valley
質問者

お礼

あっ!先生!回答ありとうございます(^-^) 私の訳はとてもぎこちなくて、Josimba先生の訳を拝見させて頂き、スッキリしました。 意味としても間違った解釈をしていた事がわかりました。 教えていただいて良かったです。 合掌!

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳はこれでよろしいですか。

英語の教科書の日本語訳はこれでよろしいですか。 The Scots have always been a proud and independent people, and everywhere in Scotland one will see the Scottish flag flying, a white cross on a blue background. Many Scots would like to make Edinburgh, one of the most elegant cities in Europe, the capital of an independent Scotland. In the 1992 general election, 21.5 per cent of Scots voted for the Scottish National party, which wants Scotland to be completely independent. スコットランド人は、いつも誇り高く独立した民族で、青い背景に白い十字のスコットランドの旗は、あらゆるところで見ることが出来る。多くのスコットランド人は、独立したスコットランドの首都でもあり、ヨーロッパの中でも最も上品な都市の1つでもあるエディンバラを構成したいと思っている。1992年の総選挙には、スコットランド人が投票したうち、21.5%の人々が完全に独立したいと思っている。

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(8)

翻訳機では分かりにくくて、この長文の日本語訳を教えていただけたらと思います。お願いします。 私の質問の(3)(4)(5)も教えていただけると幸いです。お願いします。 There are all these new books out there portraying Asian mothers as scheming, callous, overdriven people indifferent to their kids' true interests. For their part, many Chinese secretly believe that they care more about their children and are willing to sacrifice much more for them than Westerners, who seem perfectly content to let their children turn out badly. I think it's a misunderstanding on both sides. All decent parents want to do what's best for their children. The Chinese just have a totally different idea of how to do that. Western parents try to respect their children's individuality, encouraging them to pursue their true passions, supporting their choices, and providing positive reinforcement and a nurturing environment. By contrast, the Chinese believe that the best way to protect their children is by preparing them for the future, letting them see what they're capable of, and arming them with skills, work habits and inner confidence that no one can ever take away.

• 日本語訳にしてほしいです。

They have also theorized about the causes and consequences of people's behaving in individualistic and collectivist ways and discovered that people are typically both individualists and collectivists. The best states of individual and societal health are linked to the balance between these tendencies. Many problems of modernity can be linked to too much individualism, whereas a lack of human rights can be attributed to too much collectivism. Collectivism may be initially defined as a social pattern consisting of (a ) linked individuals who see themselves as parts of one or more collectives (family, co-workers, tribe, nation); are primarily motivated by the standards of, and duties imposed by, those collectives; are willing to give priority to the goals of these collectives over their own personal goals; and emphasize their connectedness to members of these collectives. One definition (b ) linked individuals of individualism is a social pattern that consists of who view themselves as independent of collectives; are primarily motivated by their own preferences, needs, rights, and the contracts they have established with others; give priority to their personal goals over the goals of others; and emphasize rational analyses of the advantages and disadvantages of associating with others. (a) と(b)に入る単語も教えてほしいです。ア~コまで当てはまるものを選んで下さい。 ア. loosely イ. distantly ウ. slowly エ.nearly オ. openly カ. friendly キ.enthusiastically ク.closely ケ.mostly コ.quickly

• 日本語訳をお願いします。

1 Considering Chief is in several tons of metal armor, I don’t think the swimming option is really all that viable. 2 I am a small business owner that has 5 employees. I was on par to provide health insurance but the premiums have skyrocketed and now I have to tell my employees we cannot offer health benefits. How can these young families gain any health benefits? Have the rates for personal health insurance dropped? Is there a way to help employees fund their own personal policies? I have over a hundred subcontractors and have to be careful that they have supplied all their paperwork stating they are independent contractors, otherwise the gov has said they will be treated as employees. Who knows if they will try and charge owners $750 per subcontractor if the owner isn’t following every letter of the law? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 訳を手伝ってください(>_<)

This week in Newsweek's frontpage there was an article about "whatever Happened to Having Kids" and It says, more people prefer to have a child or stay childless. I think people is getting wiser about life conditions year by year. More children means more responsibility and people should be aware of being parents. What do you think, you have one and do you plan to have another baby? "whatever Happened to Having Kids" の意味がわかりません。自分なりに訳して”子供を持つことに対して起こるあらゆること”でいいのでしょうか?誰かお願いします。 私は以前gooの英語のカテでたくさん質問をしていたのですがお礼を出す前に質問と自分のIDが全て消えてしまったためお礼できずに名前を変えてしまいました。そのお詫びをここでさせて下さい<(_ _)>

• 大大至急です!(´;ω;`)日本語訳お願いします。

翻訳機にかけるのはやめてください。 英語がわかるかた、日本語訳おねがいします。 (1)I more than just like you. (2)I'm not saying I like tall girls. I'm saying I don't care about how tall a girl is.  (3)If things are going to work between us when I leave. (4)Right now it seems like you're scared and it makes me think that things are going to work between us when I leave.  (5)No one else but you. I am not unconcerned either. There are going to be times that I won't be able to talk to you everyday. When I go to Montana I will be at work for 5 days at a time and won't be able to go back home and email or message you. Or if I deploy somewhere and I will only be able to message you 1 or 2 times a week maybe. That's the way it's going to be and I need you to be able to handle that. Please know that there will never be a day that I don't think about you or I won't be thinking about you all day. 日本語訳お願いします。

• 日本語訳お願いします。

When the Lord Townshend was Minister of State,a brother of his was content to be a City merchant ; and the time that the earl of Oxford governed Great Britain ,his younger brother was no more than a factor in Alleppo, where he chose to live, and where he died. This custom, which begins, however, to be laid aside, appear monstrous to Germans, vainly puffed up with their extraction. These think it morally impossible that the son of an English peer should be no more than a rich and powerful citizen, for all are princes in Germany. 英語の得意な方、日本語訳よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳をお願いします。

You would think it should be able to, but sadly it can’t – I’ve just double-checked the 2010 version and it doesn’t allow you to do, though it does have a built-in median function you can use when not working with pivot tables. よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳を教えてください。

ゼミで勉強中の資料の一部です。日本語訳を教えてください。 It’s a little disconcerting, but it offers one enormous consolation: we do not have to wait until “after the revolution” to begun to get a glimpse of what genuine freedom might be like. As the Crimethinc Collective, the greatest propagandists of contemporary American anarchism, put it:” Freedom only exists in the moment of revolution. And those moments are not as rare as you think,” For an anarchist, in fact, to try to create non-alienated experiences, true democracy, is an ethical imperative: only by making one’s form of organization in the present at least a rough approximation of how a free society would actually operate, how everyone, someday, should be able to live, can one guarantee that we will not cascade back into disaster. Grim joyless revolutionaries who sacrifice all pleasure to the cause can only produce grim joyless societies.

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

"The Palestine position is this. If we deal with our commitments, there is first the general pledge to Hussein in October 1915, under which Palestine was included in the areas as to which Great Britain pledged itself that they should be Arab and independent in the future ... Great Britain and France – Italy subsequently agreeing—committed themselves to an international administration of Palestine in consultation with Russia, who was an ally at that time ... A new feature was brought into the case in November 1917, when Mr Balfour, with the authority of the War Cabinet, issued his famous declaration to the Zionists that Palestine 'should be the national home of the Jewish people, but that nothing should be done—and this, of course, was a most important proviso—to prejudice the civil and religious rights of the existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine. Those, as far as I know, are the only actual engagements into which we entered with regard to Palestine."