• ベストアンサー

発音についての説明なのですが、どういう事をいいたいのでしょうか???

発音についての説明なのですが、何という意味でしょうか??? The schwa sound is made by every vowel at one time or another in English. 何が言いたいのかが良く分かりません。。。。

noname#151464
noname#151464
  • 英語
  • 回答数7
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • mickeyzz
  • ベストアンサー率49% (234/471)
回答No.7

これは非常に大切なご質問なので、回答者として出来る範囲で説明さしていただきます。 他の方々の回答と一部重複しますがあしからず・・・ The schwa sound is made by every vowel at one time or another in English.>>> 上記の英文を意訳しますと、大体皆さんと同じで 「シュワ(アイマイ母音[a])の発音は、いつもその単語のつづりの中にあるいずれかの母音が弱く発音されたものです。」  アイマイ母音の発音記号は「逆さe」ですが、ここでは便宜上[a]を使用さしていただきます。 しかし、上記の訳文は質問者さんには、未だに何が言いたいのかが良く分かりません。。。。となると思います。 アルファベットでの母音は一応“a/e/i/o/u”ですから、これらの母音のいずれもが、[a]になると言っているわけです。 アイマイ母音の定義は、研究社の新英和大辞典によれば次のようになっています。 「いかなる母音もアクセントがなく弱く発音されると、この[a]に近づくか[a]になる。」 そうすると、これらの5母音をアイマイ母音[a]で発音すると、実際耳にはどのように聞こえるかが問題になってきます。何故ならばアイマイ母音[a]は一種類の音ではなく5母音に対してそれぞれ異なるので、少なくとも5種類の音があることを意味します。 そこでこれを実際の英単語を上げて説明します。 Sofaの “a”は[a]です。 Silentの“ e”も発音記号は[a]でおなじですが実際の発音はSofaの “a”と異なり[e]に近づきます。 Festival の“i”も発音記号は[a]ですが、[i]と中間の音です。 Lemon の“o”も[a]ですがレマンではなくて、[a]に近づきます。 Painfulの “u”も[a]ですが、ペインファルと言わずにペインフルに近いですね。 要するにアイマイ母音[a]は一つの記号を使いますが、実際の英単語を発音する場合は少し音が変化すると言うことです。 最後に、アイマイ母音[a]の発音方法を説明しておきます。 これはいたって簡単です。 口を少し開く(上下の前歯の間に鉛筆が一本通るぐらい)そして「ア」を発声する。 これは母音の中で、最もひんぱんに使われている大切な音です。上のように口を少し開きアと発声しますが、その時くちびると、舌の筋肉が全く動いていないのでアイマイに聞こえます。だからこれがアイマイ母音と呼ばれるわけです。簡単ですが、このアイマイな発音をローマ字式に強く発音するとひどい日本語ナマリの英語発音になります。 なお[a]は英語の全ての発音記号の中で、発音に関係する下あご,唇、舌などを動かす筋肉の使用が一番少ない音です。その為省エネになり、話疲れが少ない上、使いなれると日本語ナマリが減少し、英語のしゃべり方がスムーズになり、ネイティブの話す速さに少しだけ近づくことになります。それと同時に相手の話が聞き取りやすくなります。(「英語発音コツのコツ」参照)

noname#151464
質問者

お礼

大変詳しくありがとうございました。 しつこくこの説明をしてくるのでそんなに重要なのか?と思っていましたが、これはきちんと理解しなくてはいけませんね。

その他の回答 (6)

• googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.6

「vowel」は、この場合「母音」ではなく「母音字」と解釈するべきでしょう。また「make」は「生じさせる/引き起こす」で良いと思います。  「at one time or another」の適切な日本語訳はなかなか難しいですね。普通は「いつでも」で良いでしょうが、この英文の中では「時と場合を選ばずに」とか「特定の条件を必要とせずに」という感じではないでしょうか。  「英語では、あいまい母音はすべての母音字において生じるもので特定の条件を必要としないのである。」  「すべての母音字」とは「a/i/u.e/o」という文字のことです。具体例を示しておきます。  「about」の中の「a」、「imagine」の中の第3音節にある「i」、「museum」の中の第3音節にある「u」、「highest」の中の「e」、「kingdom」の中の「o」という「文字(母音字)」はすべて「あいまいな母音」で発音されます。  ご参考になれば・・・。

noname#112776
noname#112776
回答No.5

ようするに、at one time or anotherの解釈でなやんでいるのだと思います。 on different occasions http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/at+one+time+or+another の意味ですので、 「いろいろな時に」と言うことで、、 >The schwa sound この定冠詞が特定の一つの物を指す「このあいまい母音」だとすると、every vowelによって作られる訳ですから、おかしくなりますね。 これは、総称の用法と考えるべきでしょう。 「あいまい母音(というもの)」という意味だと思います。 要するに、No2様,No3様の回答に一票ずつ入れます。 

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.4

(1) まず直訳します。  「このシュワは、英語では、早晩(遅かれ早かれ)全ての母音によって作られる音である。」 (2)シュワとは  普通逆e で表され、アクセントがありません。例えば abutt は[?b?'t]と書かれますが、この例では最初の母音がシュワです。普通のスペルには、逆e はありません。この著者は、abutt の a がシュワになっている、と言っているのでしょう。 (3)著者のいう英語の母音がシュワになる例  beautiful [bju'?t?fl]    i がシュワになる例 hundred [h?'ndr?d]        e がシュワになる例 abutt は[?b?'t]          a がシュワになる例 molecular[m?le'kj?l?r]      o がシュワになる例 accumulate [?kju'?mj?le`it]  u がシュワになる例 (4)著者が言いたいこと  以上のように英語の母音文字(i e a o u)は、遅かれ早かれ(アクセントがない時は)シュワになる。 (5)問題点  英語の母音は文字のある5つだけではありません。しかし著者のようなスペルの5文字が英語の母音数全てであるという観点にたてば、こういう見方になります。

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.3

英語ではいつ何時でもすべての母音(字)が「あいまい母音」の音となって発声されることがある、ということでは。 つまり例えば television では1つ目の e は [e] ですが、2つ目の e と最後の io は「あいまい母音」で発音されますね。そういうことを言ってるのだと思います。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

曖昧母音というのは、英語の母音で、その時その時でどんな母音でもありえるものだ。 といったことが「言いたい」のだと思いますが、何とも「曖昧な」文に思えます。

• mabomk
  • ベストアンサー率40% (1414/3521)
回答No.1

The schwa sound is made by every vowel at one time or another in English. 英語では、あいまい母音はどの母音も同時に又はそれ以上に(同時に発音すること)で発声(されたもので成り立つ)される。

関連するQ&A

• 代名詞(急いでます)

代名詞の問題です。 自信のない問題です。 多いのですがどうかよろしくお願いします。 ・() of the students has to wear a uniform 1.Each 2.Every 3.All 4.Some ・I forgot to bring a pen. Please lend me (). 1.it 2.one 3.them 4.other ・The price of water is higher than () of beer in this country. 1.it 2.one 3.them 4.that ・Would you like () cup of coffee? 1.other 2.another 3.the other 4.the another ・This is not my bicycle but (). 1.somebody else 2.somebody's else 3.somebody else's 4.somebody elses' ・() present at the meeting were surprised at his appearance. 1.Any 2.Some 3.That 4.Those ・Some of the boys like baseball and () like soccer. 1.other 2.others 3.the other 4.another ・The Olympics are held () four yeras. 1.each 2.all 3.every 4.another ・I have two cars. One is made in Japan, and () is made in Germany. 1.other 2.another 3.the other 4.the another 訳もいただけたら嬉しいです。

• 至急日本語訳にお願いしたいのですが・・・

至急日本語訳お願いします。長文ですみません。 It seems to be the case that sound changes not only spread from one person to another and from one style to another style,they also spread from one word to another.Sound changes spread through different words one by one.This is called lexical diffusion.When a sound change begins,all the words with a particular vowel don't change at once in the speech of a community.People don't go to bed one night using the sound [u:] and wake up using [au] in house, pouch,how and out.Instead,the sound change occurs first in one word,and then later in another,and so on.In Belfast,for instance,a vowel change affected the vowel in the word pull before put,and put before should.And in East Anglia the vowel in must changed before the vowel in come,which changed before the vowel in uncle ,although thy all started off with the same vowel,and they all ended up with the identical different vowel at a later point.In New Zealand a vowel change which is currently in progress is the merging of the vowels in word pairs like beer and bear,which used to be distinct.This change,too,seems to be proceeding by this process of lexical diffusion.A recent study suggested that the distinction had disappeared completely for most young people in the pair really/rarely,while fear and fair were still distinct in many young people's speech. This French example illustrates nicely that language change is more accurately thought of as an accumulation of changes in the speech of individuals,rather than something which occurs in the language independently of its speakers. 翻訳ツールは使わずにお願いします。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

和訳お願いします(>_<) The practical advantages of access to 24-hour-a-day vending machines cannot be denied, but their popularity during shopping hours seems puzzling at first. The sense of duty or imposition forced by one stranger upon another,such as in buying or selling.

• 空所に入る適語を選ぶ(英語)

1、My jacket is the same as (). (1)you(2)your(3)yours(4)yourself 2、I forgot to bring a pen.Can you lend me (). (1)it(2)one(3)them(4)other 3、The price of water is higher than ()of beer in this country. (1)it(2)one(3)them(4)that 4、Would you like ()cup of coffee? (1)other(2)another(3)the other(4)the another 5、All living things depend on one (). (1)other(2)another(3)the other(4)the another 6、()of the students has to wear a uniform. (1)Each(2)Every(3)All(4)Some 7、This is not my bicycle but (). (1)somebody else(2)somebody's else (3)somebody else's(4)somebody elses' 8、I'm thirsty.Can you give me ()to drink? (1)some cold thing(2)something cold (3)could something(4)some cold 9、()present at the meeting were surprised at his appearance. (1)Any(2)Some(3)That(4)Those 10、Some of the boys like baseball and ()like soccer. (1)other(2)others(3)the other(4)another 11、The Olympics are held ()four years. (1)each(2)all(3)every(4)another 12、I don't like (). (1)your that necktie(2)that your necktie (3)your necktie of that(4)that necktieof yours 13、I have two cars.One is made in Japan, and()is made in Germany. (1)other(2)another(3)the other(4)the another 14、There are five chairs.I'll carry these two.Please carry(). (1)other(2)others(3)the other(4)the others お願いします!

• byとinの役割

But in science one experiment, whether it succeeds or fails, is logically followed by another in a theoretically infinite progression. 訳:しかし、科学においては当然のことながら、一つの実験が成功しようが失敗に終わろうが、理論上無限に連続して別の実験が続いていく。 という英文なのですが、この文におけるbyとinの役割が分かりません。 解説お願いします。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

That is because almost no one in Japanese companies or Japanese society at large is fluent in English. (“At large” means in general.)

• 英語の発音を教えてくれるYouTuberユーチュー

英語の発音を教えてくれるYouTuberユーチューバーを教えてください! AK in カナダ AK-Englishで英語の上達は発音をまず分からないといけないと気づきました。 LとR、BとV、Thの発音の違いはAK動画を見て分かりました。 他に英語の発音の違いを解説してて分かりやすい動画を教えてください。 Isの発音とかAreの発音とか。 Aの発音とかBの発音とか初歩から発音を1つずつ解説してくれてる人が良いです。

• 和訳をお願いします

Chemists in the United States have made a three-cent-device to test blood or urine using only stick tape and paper. The device does not need a pump or power source and could one day help doctors in the developing world to carry out cheap disposable tests for diseases such as HIV or malaria, its developers claim. George Whitesides and his colleagues at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, made the device by stacking up alternating layers of paper and double-sided sticky tape, which is impermeable to water. The sample is wicked by capillary action along tiny channels cut into the paper, and holes punched into the tape allow fluid flowing in a channel in one layer to mix with that in another. The team has shown that the device can accommodate up to four different samples at once, and used it to test samples of synthetic urine. The researchers were able to detect the levels of protein and glucose in each sample by spotting indicator chemicals onto the device, which changed colour in response to each substance. They then photographed the results with a camera phone and measured the colour change using computer software. Their findings are published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. よろしくお願いします^^;

• 意訳をお願いします

8.4.3 Orthogonal Circles An interesting situation to consider is when circles (or lines, or lines and circles) intersect at 90. In any of these cases, the two figures are called orthogonal. In figure 8.9 the circle in the center is surrounded by a set of circles that are orthogonal to it. Since angles are preserved under inversion, what happens if a circle is inverted through another circle to which it is orthogonal? The answer is that the circle is inverted into itself. To see why, remember that the circle of inversion is unchanged by the inversion. The circle orthogonal to it is mapped to a circle that meets it at the same points, and remains orthogonal. Therefore it must be mapped to the same circle. (Note that this does not mean that the points are not moved by the inversion—the ones outside are mapped to points inside and vice-versa, but every point on that circle is inverted to another point on the same circle.)

• 和訳してください。

The term spike refers to the shape of the peaks that are seen on the oscillograph records when the membrane potential is measured by a fine electrode placed in the vicinity, or in the interior of the neuron. (The more interpretable records of the membrane potential are obtained by means of one electrode inside the cell and one outside, which may be placed at some distance and is then called “indifferent electrode”.) この文章の和訳お願いします。