(312)-その2 For my part……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

このQ&Aのポイント
  • (2)For my part I do not praise it, for my heart does not like it. Such a sailing is snatched, and you will hardly avoid mischief. Yet in their ignorance men do even this, for wealth means life to poor mortals; but it is fearful to die among the waves. (3)But I bid you consider all these things in your heart as I say.
  • この文章は「Works and Days」 by Evelyn Whiteの一節であり、(2)と(3)は連続した文章です。質問文章の試し訳として以下のようになります。
  • (2)For my part I do not praise it, for my heart does not like it. 試し訳:これは、私としては、薦めない。というのは、気分的に好かないからだ。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

(312)-その2 For my part……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

(2)For my part I do not praise it, for my heart does not like it. Such a sailing is snatched, and you will hardly avoid mischief. Yet in their ignorance men do even this, for wealth means life to poor mortals; but it is fearful to die among the waves. (3)But I bid you consider all these things in your heart as I say. この文章は“Works and Days” by Evelyn Whiteの一節です。 (1)(2)(3)は連続した文章で、前問の(312)―その1の続きです。 試し訳と語彙について質問します。 (2)For my part I do not praise it, for my heart does not like it. <試し訳> これは、私としては、薦めない。というのは、気分的に好かないからだ。 (3)Such a sailing is snatched, and you will hardly avoid mischief. <試し訳> この(時季の)航海はひったくられて、お前はあやまちを避けることが難しかろう。 (4)Yet in their ignorance men do even this, for wealth means life to poor mortals; but it is fearful to die among the waves. <試し訳> それでも、あの(船乗りの)馬鹿な連中の中に、これ(危険な航海)をするやつがいる。 貧しい人々にとって、富は命がけなのだ。しかし、波間に死ぬことは恐ろしいことだ。 <質問> (a) for wealth means life to poor mortals       wealth means lifeであるから、life is wealthと考えられて、       「富は貧しい人に向かって命に等しい」と訳せるでしょうか。         ただ、これでは、訳にならないので。       「貧しい人々にとって、富は命がけなのだ」としました。 (5)But I bid you consider all these things in your heart as I say. <試し訳> しかし、云っておくが、お前は私がいう通りにこうしたことを全て考えておくこと だ。 <質問> (b) But I bid you consider……について    関係詞の省略と考えられて、      ‘But I bid you that you consider……‘    でよいでしょうか。

noname#171580
noname#171580
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nannette
  • ベストアンサー率26% (1499/5698)
回答No.1

▼(a) for wealth means life to poor mortals・・・wealth means lifeであるから、life is wealthと考えられて、「富は貧しい人に向かって命に等しい」と訳せるでしょうか。 ▽こう考えてはいかがでしょうか。 (for the poor)(to catch the chance to get wealth )means (to get their easier life )      ▼(b) But I bid you consider……について、関係詞の省略と考えられて、‘But I bid you that you consider……‘ でよいでしょうか。 ▽ thatを入れて考えると分かりやすいですね、あるいは But I bid you to consider・・・という考え方もあります。  私個人としては、あまり勧めたくないのだ。なぜなら心中あまり好ましくないと思ているからだ。この時期の航海は略奪に遭いやすく、お前もそうした危害から逃れるのが難しかろうからだ。それでもなお、彼らの中の無知な連中ときたら船を出したがる、というのも、貧しい者たちにとっては、上手くすれば富を手にする機会でもあるからだ。しかし、それはおそらく大波にもまれて死の恐怖を味わうことにもなろう。ということだから、私が言ったようなこうしたことすべてを、私はお前が胸に手を当ててよく考えてみることを強く勧めるのだ。

noname#171580
質問者

お礼

for wealth means life to poor mortals・・・wealth means life この文は (for the poor)(to catch the chance to get wealth )means (to get their easier life ) と「考えてみるとよい」について、  ”to get their easier life”というのは、「寄り豊かな生活のために危険な仕事をする」意味になるかとおもいます。ここは、もっと深刻で「生きるため。食うために危険な仕事」の意味ではないかと考えました。 nannetteさんの指摘をヒントに考えると、  このように推察できる。 ありがとうございました。         

関連するQ&A

• なんと説明したら良いのか困ってます

なんと説明したら良いのか困ってます! 英語でお願いしますm(__)m! Confusing... in Portuguese we have a word "Saudade" and it can't be translated to another idiom, but it is close to "I miss you". I use to think that "sinto falta de você (I miss you)" is like I miss you, but I can replace you and "saudade de você (also means I miss you)" like I miss you and nobody else can replace your spot in my heart/life

• (274)Through work ……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

(274) Through work men grow rich in flocks and substance, and working they are much better loved by the immortals 1308. Work is no disgrace: it is idleness which is a disgrace. But if you work, the idle will soon envy you as you grow rich, for fame and renown attend on wealth. And whatever be your lot, work is best for you, if you turn your misguided mind away from other men's property to your work and attend to your livelihood as I bid you. An evil shame is the needy man's companion, shame which both greatly harms and prospers men: shame is with poverty, but confidence with wealth. 試し訳 仕事を通して、人間は集団の中で床になり、財産を増やす。そして、働く者は 皆、不死の神から非常に良く愛される(脚注1308) 働く事は不名誉なことではない。不名誉なことは怠けることだ。 しかし、もし、お前が働けば、怠け者は、お前が豊かになるにつれて、たちまち、お前をうらやむだろう。 というのも、評判や名声は富についてまわるからだ。 そして、お前の分け前が何であろうと、もし、私がお前に命じる通りに、自分の 間違った考えを、他人の財産から自分の仕事に向きを変え、自分の暮らしに関 心を払うなら、働く事が、お前にとって最善である。 悪魔の恥は貧しい人の友であり、人々に多大な危害を加えて、繁栄する者も 又恥なのだ。恥は貧しさと一体だが、信用は富と一体なのだ。 [質問]   (1)grow rich in flocks and substaceについて   「集団の中で豊かになり、そして、財産を増やす」 次の三通りが考えられ、(c)により訳しました。正しいでしょうか。 (a)grow rich in flocks and grow substance (b) grow (rich and substance) in flocks (c)rich in flocks and grow substance  (2)working themについて    「働く者は皆」でよいでしょうか  (3)whatever be your lotについて 「お前の分け前が何であろうと」 lotは「分け前、運命」等の意味があります。それとも「お前の稼ぎが何であろう と」と訳せるでしょうか。 whateverは「分け前」にも、「運命」にも使えるでしょうか。 (4)as I bid youについて 「もし、私がお前に命じた通りに」 この「命じる」という言葉に少し違和感があります。 「もし、お前が私の云う通りに、私に云われた通りに」でも良いでしょうか。 (5)shame which both greatly harms and prospers menについて 「悪魔の恥は貧しい人の友であり、人々に多大な危害を加えて、繁栄する者も 又恥なのだ」。 このbothは何の意味でしょうか。 直前のevil shame とこのshameは同じ意味で使われたと考えて、 evil shame =shameと考えました。 これは正しいでしょうか。 (6)shame is with poverty, but confidence with wealth.について 「恥は貧しさと一体だが、信用は富と一体なのだ」。   直前に、for fame and renown attend on wealthという文があります。 この文と対をなす文章であると考えて、次のように訳せるでしょうか。 「恥は貧しさについて回るが、信用は富について回る」

• この英文で通じますか?

It is glad to hear that you come. Do you stay for ten days? I think that I rest it for the tenth on the fourth or five. The half of the remainder comes whether for you to enjoy Japan or for my parents to guide Japan. Please teach how you want to do. 「あなたが日本に来ると聞いて嬉しいです。 あなたは10日間滞在する予定ですか? わたしは10日の間、4日か5日休めると思います。 残りの半分はあなた自身で日本を楽しんでもらうか、わたしの両親に日本を案内してもらうかになります。 どのようにしたいか教えてください。」 という内容のことを伝えたいのですが、上の英文で伝わるか自信がありまん。よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の添削お願いします!!

文法的におかしなところや、スペース、ここは大文字(小文字)だってところなど、チェックをお願いします!!(ひとかたまりが1文です)間違いなさそうだったら、OKだと入れてくださるのも非常に助かります!! (1)If I could reach the stars,I would take one for you, and it would shine in your heart forever like my love. (2)Do you remember? The way you hold me. You looked into my eyes and said ‘I love you'. You caressed and said nothing. But it meant more than the chance to hold me and kiss my sweet lips. (3)I'll stand by you forever. (4)Love may be sometimes hard to show. But I love you more than you could ever know. (5)My love for you is as endless as the universe. (6)Our friendship,love,and life together begins today. (7)Our new story begins now with all blessings. We roll up one page. (8)Summer,the fresh air,the fregrant breeze and the flowers under our feet. The blanket of stars is above us. We dream in it … (9)We have love to blind us. We have laughter to unwind us. Because we have fate to find each other. (10)We exchange an eternal promise and bigin to walk. (11)I pledge my self to love,respect and sincerity. (12)I love you from the bottom of my heart. I may not always show it but I do love you.

• 英文の和訳お願いします....

前後の会話がなくて申し訳ないのですが 出来る範囲で和訳お願いします... I can't understand, how he could do that to you. Once, someone did that to me, but I understand all, because I remembered a phrase "Lo que no fue en tu año no te hace daño" here means literally "What was not in your year, doesn't hurt you." but I read that meaning for Americans is like: "You mustn't feel affected for something which you were involved with but now you aren't anymore." I dont know if I explain this fine... I hope so.

• 英文の翻訳お願いします

下のどれか一つでも良いので、日本語に訳して欲しいです。 お願いします。 (1) I'm glad to he here. (2) I'm happy to be with you. (3) I'm sorry to be late for class. (4) It has been raining since last night (5) It is fun to swim (6) It is important for us to learn English. (7) It is the best novel that I have ever read. (8) It is very difficult for you to answer this question? なるべく簡単に訳してもらえたら嬉しいです。 お願いします、、

• 英文訳詞教えてください。

ebayで日本に発送してもらえるか質問したところ、 このような返事が届きました。 Thanks for asking. Yes you can bid. If you win I will calculate shipping cost. 特に問題がなさそうなので入札をしょうと考えていたのですが、 後日またメールが届き、今度はこのようなメールが届きました。 I dont typically ship out of the US. I will allow you to bid but will not quote you a shipping price unless you win. You can look it up yourself on www.usps.com the package is a little more than a pound and I will add on $2.00 for packaging materials. It will go from California (92683). If you win please email me and request for an invoice. 初めの回答と少し違うような気がするのですが、 このセラーの方は日本に発送をしたくないと言っているのでしょうか? 英語が得意な方がおりましたら教えてください! よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文の翻訳

以下の英文を翻訳お願いしたいです Sometimes this decision is straightforward. A proposal of a marriage, and an acceptance or refusal. But sometimes life is less well defined than that and the decision is made by the soul, it is made in the depths unconsciously. By you or by him. You may feel you have had enough of this particular man, or karma for one life for example and your spirit may withdraw because of pain when you could have struggled on perhaps and changed the ending to the story. Or you may unconsciously behave in such a way that he is the one to end the relationship against your will. Life is complicated, and the stars only really sketch this life, you add your own complications to become woven into the destiny This can be said of all relationships of course, not just your own. But it is right to state it. Some people hear the word soul mate and they assume that nothing can ever go wrong. That is not so. What I promise you is a future, it is up to you and him to make it happy or sad, short or lasting.

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

I care so much about you I care about you more than I can say. And that caring and that feeling have a meaning that is more precious and more special to me than I can explain. But let me try to tell you this... Stying ''I care'' means that I will always do everything I can to understand. It means that I will never hurt you. It means that you can trust me. It means that you can tell me. What's wrong. It means that I will try to fix what I can,that I will listen When you need me to hear,and that ~even in your most difficult moment ~all you have to do is say tha word,and your hand and my hand will not be apart. It means that whenever you speak to me,whether words are spoken through a smile or theouge a tear... I will listen with my heart. I do care about you... In a very special wey. メッセージカードの柄としてあったので気になりました。お願いします

• この英文を和訳するとどうなりますか?

Can I take it That you don't need my help And I am finally absolved a value I can face it, but I don't need anyone else Nobody does it like you do And for all the others There'll be better days ahead And while I recover I'll be wishing I was dead I've lost myself along with everyone else And now the safest place is here in my head But I've been left on my own to survive But I'm wishing I was dead Well I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong I plan to stay back, but not for long The time has passed and other things has changed So I gotta grow wings or die I don't need another reason not to die in life Tell me if I'm doing it right this time But let me know, what did you change Do you feel the same? Did it ease your pain? I've lost myself along with everyone else And now the safest place is here in my head But I've been left on my own to survive But I'm wishing I was dead You say you hate it, but you can't really tell The future is smiling right at you I'm not gonna make it, so you should save yourselfs There's no time to tell you I miss you You lack for new a frontier But I decided to stay back here Inviting my time by waiting it out Looking up to the sky this fight These weakly wings that will never take flight I don't even have the lungs to shout But I need to know, what did you change Do you feel the same? Did it ease your pain? I've lost myself along with everyone else And now the safest place is here in my head But I've been left on my own to survive But I'm wishing I was dead