• ベストアンサー

哲学的?文章。

下の文章を理解しようとしているのですが、数点不明瞭な所があり、、困っています。アドバイスを頂けたら大変うれしいです。 I have attempted to make the best of my material circumstances always; nor do I see to-day how any widely varying course could have been wiser or even feasible: but material things have nothign to do with that life which moves in me. Why, then, should they direct and heighten and provoke and curb every action of life? It is against the tyranny of matter I would rebel-against life's absolute need of food, and books, and fire, and clothing, and flesh, to touch and to inhabit, lest life perish. No, all that which I do here or refrain from doing lacks clarity, nor can I detect any symmetry anywhere, such as living would assuredly disply, I think, if my progress were directed by any particular motive. It is all a muddling through, somehow, without any recofnizable goal in view, and there is no explanation of the scuffle tendered or anywhere procurable. It merely seems that to go on living has become with me a habit. 質問をさせて頂くにあたって、全文書いた方が解り易いと思い、長いと自覚しながらも書かせて頂きました。  質問は (1)It is against the tyranny~の所のItは何を指しているのでしょうか? (2)No, all that which I do here~の文章のnor can I detect any symmetry anywhereとはどういう意味なのでしょう?ここでのsymmetryの意味が良く解りません。 (3)and there is no explanation~の部分で、the scuffle tendered or anywhere procurable. とはいうあたりもちょっと何を言おうとしているのか理解できません。 どれか一つでもご協力を頂けたら本当に助かります。とても手間のかかる質問なのは承知しているのですが、どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

material circumstancesとmaterial thingsに使われているmaterialの取扱いがむずかしいですね。たぶん、物質的な環境、物質的な事柄・・・日々の暮らしの中で、直面するような事柄、避けて通るわけに行かない実質的な事柄・・と理解をすると・・ but material things have nothing to do with that life which moves in me. 私の人生で、物質的な事柄が私の心を動かすことは有り得ない Why, then, should they direct and heighten and provoke and curb every action of life? それならば、何故、物質的な事柄が日々の行動に一々関るべきなのか? the tyranny of matter I would rebel = life's absolute need of food, and books, and fire, and clothing, and flesh, to touch and to inhabit, lest life perish 私が良としない抑圧的な力に = 生きるために最低限必要なことに It is against the tyranny of matter I would rebel, -- against life's absolute need of food, and books, and fire, and clothing, and flesh, to touch and to inhabit, lest life perish. …. それは、私が良としない、生きるために最低限必要な諸々のことで、抑圧的な力と相反するのではないか・・ それは=「物質的な事柄が日々の行動に関るべきこと」 nor can I detect any symmetry anywhere, such as living would assuredly display, any symmetry anywhere = living would assuredly display どこかにその(対称)写し = 生き方が明確に表れるような It is all a muddling through, somehow, without any recognizable goal in view and there is no explanation of the scuffle tendered or anywhere procurable. 目に見えるゴールでなく、何とかやりくりをするうちに乗り越えられる様なもので、誰かから与えられ、何処からでも得ることが出来る、足掻きの説明の様なものではない。

hidamarigo
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難う御座います!! 確かにこのmaterialは何か一つのものを示しているというより、人生に関わってくる様々な物質的要因を表しているようです。こまかい訳まで示して頂き有難う御座います、とても参考になります。しかし、この文章の意味は解ったのですが、こういうポエムの様なものを読むときは慣れていないもので本当に苦労します。抽象的な表現が多いと特に。でも本当に参考になりました、有難う御座いました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

1) "that life which moves in me" 2) 調和 3) scuffle は muddling の言い替え。”tendered or anywhere procurable" が "explanation of the scuffle" を形容していると見ると、「"material things" と "life which moves in me" とが混在していることの理由が示されるとか、どうこうすれば分るとかいうことがない」。 あくまで私の憶測に過ぎませんので、間違っているかもしれません。

hidamarigo
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難う御座います! 確かにここのItはthat life which moves in meを指してそうですね。要するに作者はここでthat life の説明をしていると解釈できそうです。 symmetryの意味は少し難しく考えすぎたようです。 the scuffle とtenderedを分けて考えるって事ですよね?確かにthe scuffle tenderedじゃ意味が良く分からなくなってしまうので、この方が良さそうです。The scuffle だったので何か固有なものを指しているのは分かったのですが、文中以外の作者の経験を書いているものと又も考えすぎてしまったようです。 大変参考になりました、有難う御座いました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 自然な英語になるように、添削をお願いします。

添削をお願いします。 音楽のジャンルにはこだわりません。自分が良いと思える音楽が私の好きな音楽になります。 それがjazzであっても、bossa novaであっても。 1, I have no particular liking to a certain music genre. Any muist that sounds good to me is my favorite, be it jazz or bossa nova.         2, It doesn't matter what kinds of music it is. My favorite music is what I can think it good. Jazz, bossa nova and any kinds of music will do as long as I can think it good. 以前はよく音楽を聞いていたが、だんだんに音楽を聴かないようになってしまっています。 I used to listen to the music, but I don't gradually do it.

• 翻訳お願いします

翻訳していただけるかた、 お願いできますか? よろしくお願いいたします。 I hope the reading has been like a light cast into the shadows, Tomoko, and that it has illuminated parts of the future and the path that this relationship is making. I come now to the end of our time together. However complex and detailed any reading is, it is really just a fragment of ones life. A few aspects of the chart interpreted as this is all there is ever time for. The synastry reading holds within its secret depth both your life and your friends. An infinite web of events, images, feelings, that span great depth and vast extents of time it is not possible in any one reading to show the whole of that picture, just as it is not possible to write your life story on a single sheet of paper. This then is just an insight.

• 翻訳願います。

It is not that I do not want to marry you, it would be a lovely dream to do so, I think. I do not think that we have this path ahead of us... but I want to have you in my life always, somehow. Duty as a man? To stand and hold the load, to carry it forward. To move and put the wants of man away. 宜しくお願いします。

• 分りづらい英文・・・

色々調べたのですが、この英文がうまく訳せません。分る方いましたら訳を教えて下さいお願いします。これは自分の好きなタイプの人のはなしをしてるのだと思いますが・・・ someone that is afraid to go against the norms of life or do things because its right or know its right for them and understand that i will always be there for them no matter what.

• 英語の文章を訳していただきたいです。

以下の英語の文章を訳して頂きたいです。 よろしくお願いします。 If is not one pièce like the last time, is my fault. No problem. Do you prefer i Will send you a image of the cover of the magazines that i want? a random number of the magazine 'morning', that will be released on june. I am interested only if it contains the story '''the ghost and lady''.

• TOEFL ライティングについて

ライティングの例題をやって見ました。このような解答だと何点ぐらいもらえますか? 字数は数えたら300語くらいでした。   人生について学ぶ方法は、家族や友人の助言を聞くことであると考える人もいれば、個人の経験をとおしてと考える人もいる。人生について学ぶためのこれら2つの方法を比較せよ。あなたはどちらが望ましいと考えるか。 Some people may prefer to believe that the best way of learning about life is by listening to advice of family and friends.But pesonally,I think that it is more important to experience many things in my life.Therfore, I prefere to believe that the best way of learning about life is through personal experience. Of course,it is not difficult to argue that there are advantages in learning about life is bby listening to advice of family and friends.For example,It doesn't require any effort to achieve something.So it is very easy to do.Furthermore,it anable us to know the experience that we can never experience.One illustration od this is that man can't pregnant. But on careful consideration,I find more advantages in learning through personal experience.One specific advantage that comes readily to mind is that I can get the spirit of charenge by through self experience.For instance,speeching in fornt of large audience needs a lot of courage.If you were heard what speech is like,you couldn't speak fluently.This means that it requires a lot of expwrience.Farhermore, it is easy to adapt to anything.One example of this is that playing sports such as baseball soccor swiming is very difficult to learn unless the person practice many times by useing their body.As you know,although family and friends advised you how to throw,how to kick and how to swim,you can't do.Farhermore, it is easy to adapt to anything. Considering all of the above factors,though there are advantages to learning about life from family and friends ,I prefer to learn about life through personal experience.

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

“I know something about addiction and I know how hard it is to overcome that, but the reality is what do you do if you're in a band and you want to continue making the living you have and you want to continue putting out new music and you're co-dependent of the needs and wants of someone who just doesn't want to do anything, who doesn't want to go anywhere. Someone that is just not there, is just not present.”

• 作文でone かanyどちらを使ったらいいですか

I don't do any club activities now. Because I have a lot of things to do and have no time to do one/any. (部活には入っていません。なぜかというとやることがたくさんあって、部活をやる時間がないからです。) と書いたのですが、どちらのほうがあってますか。 また、最後を省略せずに書いた場合、no time to do one /any of the activities. となるのですか。 でもtheをつけるのは間違いのような気がするのですが、one ./ any of activitiesにしても、ofの後にすぐ名詞が来るとおかしくないですか。 よろしくお願いします。

• この文章を訳してもらえませんか

難しくて・・・、自動翻訳とかだとわけ分からないので Some people think that sustainable society would have to stop using nonrenewable resources, since their use is by definition unsustainable. That idea is an overly rigid interpretation of what it means to be sustainable. Certainly a sustainable society would use gifts from the earth's crust more thoughtfully and efficiently than the present world does. It would price them properly and keep more of them available for future generations. But there is no reason not to use them, as long as their use meets the criterion of sustainability already defined, namely that renewable substitutes should be developed, so that no future society finds itself built around the use of resource that is suddenly no longer available or affordable.

• 文章解釈

以下の添付ファイル文章に関する質問です。 That no matter how many years you're ultimately given your life can be clearly and earnestly said to have been a long and full one.We all know someone like that-someone we lost too early but even now think,If I could do half of what they did,I'll consider my life well lived. 1. no matter how many years you're ultimately given your life can be clearly and earnestly said to have been a long and full one. の言おうとしているポイントが理解できないです。clearly and earnestly の理解がその中でも特に難しく感じます。 2. If I could do half of what they did,I'll consider my life well lived なぜ、「彼/彼女のしたこと半分できればいい人生を生きれた」とみなせるのか分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。 「人が結局、どれだけの年数の命を与えられても、その人の人生は長く充実した人生であったと明瞭かつ誠実に言われうる。 わたしたちは皆そのような誰かを知っています。あまりにも早くに無くしてしまい、今でも彼/彼女がしたことの半分を成すことができれば自分の人生がいい人生だとみなすことができる誰か。」