• 締切済み

訳でわからない部分があります。

あけましておめでとうございます。今年みなさんにとって良い一年でありますように! 早速ですが、テキストの問題をといていた時にどう訳していいかわからないものがありました。 The only animal I have ever seen is the mouse,even that I saw ―and touched― only by choice. 意訳では「私が見たことのある唯一の動物はそのネズミで、私がそうすることを選んだからこそ、見る、そして触ることができたのであった。」とあるのですが、 even that I saw ―and touched― only by choice. がわかりません。 どうして「選んだからこそ」「できたのであった」という訳がでてくるのでしょうか? よろしくおねがいします。

みんなの回答

• ydna
  • ベストアンサー率63% (179/281)
回答No.1

> 意訳では「私が見たことのある唯一の動物はそのネズミで、私がそうすることを選んだからこそ、見る、そして触ることができたのであった。」とある この意訳には、私も納得できません。 ---拙訳--- 「私が見たことがある動物といえば、(その)ネズミだけなのだ。見たどころか、見てーー触ったーーただ、その気になったから。」[直訳的] 「動物の中では、(その)ネズミしか見たことないけど、見ただけじゃなくて、見てーー触ったよーーただ、そうしようって思ったんだもん。」[意訳] --- keys --- the mouse = 2つのとらえ方が可能のような気がします。 1つは、今、話題に登っている「その1匹のネズミ」の意味。 もう1つは、種類を示して、「ネズミ(という種類の動物)」という意味です。 前後の文脈が判らないので確定はできません。これまでに話題に登っていなかったら、おそらく「種類としてのネズミ」だと思います。 even = 「それどころか」(追加強調)という意味の副詞だと思います。次に予想外の内容を述べる時に使われます。この場合、and touched と only by choice が、その「予想外の内容」です。 only by choice = 「ただ、だれにも強制されずに、自らの選択で」の意味です。 that = 「関係代名詞目的格」で、非制限的用法に考えられます。the mouse (the only animal) が先行詞です。 even that 節 = even で that 節全体が修飾されて、それどころか(見たことがあるどころか)の意味合いが出てきます。 ======================= どうも、お示しの「意訳」では、even が、only by choice を強調しているような、そうでないような……。つまり、訳者の even の訳が不鮮明です。even の誤訳と言っていいようにも思います。おそらく、後ろから訳して、動詞的表現で訳を終わらせようとして、失敗したのでは……。 以上、子年にちなんで、このご質問を私の今年初回答として選ばせて頂きました。少しでもお役に立てたでしょうか? ★ Have a good sleep and happy dreams tonight.

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

Millie has a daughter and a son, but they live on the opposite side of the country and aren’t able to visit now. Her daughter is 4, and when I saw her over the summer, she briefly referred to me as auntie. Millie pulled her daughter to the side and told her that I was not her auntie and that I was to be referred to by my first name. I was to be referred to by my first nameの訳をよろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳が分かりません。

以下の英文を日本語に訳し、さらに英語で返事をしないといけないのですが意味がよく理解できません。 どなたか教えてください。 By the way do you know that in the capital city of Japan they do a kind of experiment with a mouse (which they excise some genes) so that the mouse it not afraid or scared anymore of cats. Which this the scientists want and proved that the fear of the mouse is inborn or naturaly. And that when you just "removed" that gene it will not try to escape. So what do you think about it?is it not incredible. I mean if they can do this also with us human beings then they can "remove" all the fear that we have on certainly or particulary things. 私が分かる範囲では、 「By the way do you know that in the capital city of Japan they do a kind of experiment with a mouse (which they excise some genes) so that the mouse it not afraid or scared anymore of cats.」 ・・・ところであなたは日本の首都を知っていますか。彼らはexperimentの一種でねずみと一緒です。そしてそのねずみは猫のそんなに怖い物ではなかった。 「Which this the scientists want and proved that the fear of the mouse is inborn or naturaly.」 ・・・どの科学者はそれが欲しく、供給したかったのか....? 「And that when you just "removed" that gene it will not try to escape.」 ・・・...? 「So what do you think about it?is it not incredible.」 ・・・あなたはこれについてどう思いますか? 「I mean if they can do this also with us human beings then they can "remove" all the fear that we have on certainly or particulary things.」 ・・・もし彼らがこれをまた人間の初めとしてできたのなら...? よろしくお願いいたします。

• パンセの一部分の訳

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Pens%C3%A9es/IV パンセの277を訳してみました。 (1) 間違っている部分を直して直訳してください (2) 3つの itself は、何を指すか (3) 分かりやすい意訳 一つだけでも構いません。よろしくお願いします。 The heart has its reasons, which reason does not know. 心には、一般的な考え方とは異なる、その心特有の考え方がある We feel it in a thousand things. 私たちは多くの事でそれを感じる。 I say that the heart naturally loves the Universal Being, 心は自然とあらゆる存在を愛すると、私は言う and also itself naturally, そして それ自身も 自然に 同様である according as it gives itself to them; それは 自らを 彼らに 与える; and it hardens itself against one or the other at its will. そして それは それ自身を 固くする それに対して 又はそれの意志にその他を You have rejected the one, and kept the other. あなたはそれを断り、その他を保っている。 Is it by reason that you love yourself? それはあなたが自分を愛するという理性によるのか?

• 適切な訳を教えてください。

He sees this as evidence that cell phones are taking over roles in our lives once filled only by friends and family. 英検準一の読解の中にありました。 once filled only by ~の部分がour livesにかかるのはわかるのですが、意味が取れません。 よろしくお願いします。

• このthatが分からない

The United States and Japan forged not only an alliance, but a friendship that has won far more for our people that we can ever clain through war 「米国と日本は政治的同盟のみならず友情をも培ってきた。それは、戦争を通じておよそ獲得しうるどのようなものよりも、最善のものである」という訳は合っていますか。 このthat we can ever clain through warのthatはどのような文法的役割ですか 「~する限りでは」という意味のthatですか (ex) He never read it, that i saw私の見た限りでは彼は決して読んでいない このcanは「~しうる」で、everは「いつも、つねに、たえず」 だからcan everは「いつも大抵~しうる」つまり「およそ~しうる」という意味ですか

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

I post art on the Internet, and a month ago, someone requested that I make a drawing for them based off a picture of a character they found on Google. I drew the picture, posted it, and went to sleep. When I woke up, I got an angry message from a person saying that they were the original artist of that character. When I went to their profile, I found not only the original artwork but also a post made by her exposing me for doing so (justifiably). a post made by her exposing me for doing so (justifiably)の訳をよろしくお願いします

• 英語教えてください。

初めてみた! 猫がネズミをおいかけてた。 というのは It's a fist time I saw!! The started a cat chasing a mouse! よろしくお願いします。

• テスト勉強に訳がほしいです。お願いします

I spent hours poring over that map, long before my family ever moved into the house that we eventually bought,with that V.A. loan,at 5179 Eliots Oak Road the neighborhood of Longfellow the Village of Harper’s Choice. To me the remarkable thing about those names was not their oddity but the simple fact that most of them referred to locations that did not exist. They were like magic spells,each one calibrated to call into being one particular stretch of blacktop,sidewalk,and lawn,and no other. In time-I witnessed it with my own eyes,month by month,year by year-the street demanded by the formula “Darkbush Terrace” or “Night Roost” would chum up out of the Maryland mud and clay, begin to sprout houses, trees, a tidy blue-and-white identifying sign. It was a Powerful demonstration to me of the incantatory power of names and naming.

• 訳を教えてください

Two weeks ago I attended a holiday party with my boyfriend and his family. We’ve been together for three years, and since we moved to his hometown, I’ve gotten to know his parents and sisters better. I forgot about new medication I was taking, had a few drinks, and became drunker than I have ever been in my life. (Counting this event, I’ve only been drunk three times, so it’s extremely out of character for me.) I now know that I did something so horrible at the party that my boyfriend broke up with me via text and told me he has no interest in speaking to me ever again. I’m devastated. My now ex-boyfriend is the sweetest man I know, so I had to have done something cruel for him to do this. I had to have done something cruel for him to do thisの訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 訳を教えてください

以下の文章の最後の一文がよくわりません。ご教授ください。 However, up until the moment that those keys were turned over, I was still searching for something that had greater value to me than anything I had ever imagined as a child, and that I knew for certain was in that house at one time. https://medium.com/@bclund/the-most-valuable-fake-id-in-the-world-ddb7a9120c5 これのand that I knew for certain was in that house at one time.の部分です。よろしくお願いします。