• ベストアンサー

afford to

benderの回答

• bender
  • ベストアンサー率45% (108/236)
回答No.4

“a missile we couldn't afford to USE”は、おそらく、 「(持っていても、あるいは持っていたとしても)使う余地のない、 使うに使えないミサイル」といった意味だと思います。 特に No.3 の方が書かれているこの文のコンテクストやその時代背景を 考えるに、この”afford to”は、ミサイルを実際に使ったら世界中が 大変なことになっちゃうから、持っていても実際には使うことはできない、 という意味だと私は思います。 ということなので「金がなくて」ではなく、それにもちろん「平和なので 使う機会がない」ということでもない思います。

関連するQ&A

• could have gone to ... と could have been to ...

知人から相談をうけました。ある大学入試問題集の次の問題についてです。 ほぼ同じ意味になるように(  )に適当な語を補え[一部改題してあります]。 1. I didn’t go to Dublin to meet a friend of mine, because I couldn’t afford to. 2. If I had had enough money, I could ( 3 )( 4 ) to Dublin to meet a friend of mine. 知人はそれぞれをhave, beenとしたのですが、答えはそれぞれ,have, goneとなっていました。 これではだめなのでしょうか?いいとすれば、意味上の違いはあるのでしょうか?もし、だめだとするとなぜだめなのでしょうか? 以上の点は解説にはありません。よろしくお願いします。 

• 翻訳してください。

Taxation differs from country to country. For example, in the United States and Japan, a tax on cigarettes and alcohol is an important way for the government to get money. This is sometimes called a "sin tax." In other words, by doing something bad, you do something good: You give money to the government. Yet in Russia, there is almost no tax on tobacco or alcohol. It is often said that taxes will change in the 21st century. There may be new taxes on bank savings and financial transactions. Trash is likely to be taxed in the future. When you drive your car into a large city, you might have to pay a tax for that. One thing is certain: There will be new taxes for the rich and poor in countries that have fewer and fewer young people to support society. If you like to save money, you might be penalized for this in the future. This would encourage people not to hold money, but spend it. This might be important in societies such as Japan, where people traditionally save large amounts of money. A strong economy is one in which money changes hands often. Money "grows" in this way. When you go overseas, you usually exchange yen for another currency, such as dollars or the euro. Not only are tourists a good target for a tax(because it is thought that they have money to spend), but it would help to stop speculators. Speculators are people with large amounts of money who buy one currency, hold it, and then sell it to make money. Imagine that somebody exchanges \10,000,000 at 92 yen per dollar. If he changes this money back to yen at just 93 yen to a dollar, then he has made about \100,000. Any government would love to get some of this profit.

• 至急翻訳お願いします。

Taxation differs from country to country. For example,in the United States and Japan, a tax on cigarettes and alcohol is an important way for the government to get money. This is sometimes called a "sintax."In other words, by doing something bad, you do something good: You give money to the government. Yet in Russia, there is almost no tax on,tobacco or alcohol.

• toとfor

只今英語を学習している学生です。 詳しい方に意見をお聞きしたくて質問させて頂きます。 前置詞"to"と"for"の判断について I went to my school. I left for my school. から考えると、 to=到達地まで含む前置詞 for=目的の方向を表すのみの前置詞 という意味かなと思い、 I gave a watch to you. I bought a watch for you. というような文は動詞の示す動作によって 目的語watchが直接前置詞後の名詞youに 行き着くかどうかでforやtoが決まるのだと 思い込んでいました。 しかしその後に疑問に思ったのが 1)"present for you"と 2)"happy birthday to you" です。 1)はフルセンテンスにすると ex). It's a present for you. 等となり、自分の解釈に当てはまるのですが 2)はどうなのでしょう? この"to"って何なのでしょうか? そもそも私の知識不足or解釈違いなのでしょうか? どなたかご存知の方がいましたら教えていただきたいです。

• hold you to

You said you'd be home by 10, and I'm holding you to your word. A: "Next time, I'll buy you lunch." B: "I'm going to hold you to that!" hold you toはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします!!!

Its good that god has not created price tag for good friends if he would have ,i couldn't afford a friend like you. です!!何となくわかるのですがちゃんとした意味が知りたいです。 よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• toの意味

英単語のニュアンスをつかむのには向こうの小学生レベルの辞書を 使うのがいいというで購入したのですが 辞書の中で buy To buy means to give money for something. call To call means to say in a loud voice. afraid To be afraid means to think something bad will happen to you. come To come is to move toward. といちいちtoが出てくるのですがこのtoはどういう意味なのでしょうか?

• 高1英語 話法 教えてください!

テスト前で、来週まで授業がないので、答えがあってるか教えてください! 解説していただけるとありがたいです! 問 直接話法は間接話法に、間接話法は直接話法にしなさい。 (1)My boss asked me to get in touch with my client as soon as possible. My boss said to me, "You get in touch with my client as soon as possible. (2)"What's up?" I asked her. I said to her what's up. (3)She said a Christmas tree was in the her attic and she needed it brought down. She said,"a Christmas tree is in the my attic and need it brought down". (4)I said to her,"What do you want with a tree?" I asked her what you wanted with a tree. (5)She said her grandchildren were stopping by for a visit. She said to her grandchildren "You are stopping by for a visit." お願いします!

• 英訳をお願いします。

英訳をお願いします。 一応自分なりに考えてみたのですが、全く自信ありません。 ・私は父にそれについて言った。  I said my father about it. ・彼は私に"それは困る"と言った。  He said me to "be put out". ・私は彼が何を言いたいのか理解できなかった。  I couldn't understand what he said. ・なぜならば、以前私は彼によって##の大学に行くように勧められたからだ。  Because, I was recommended going on to the university in ## by my father before. ・父は私に"あなたを県外の大学に行かせるためのお金はない"と言った。  My father said that I have no enough money to go on to outside the prefecture universities for you. ・私は##に住んでいたので、もし私が##の大学に行くならば、それには十分な金が必要なことはわかっていた。  Since I have living in ##, I understanded that my father must have enough money, if I go on to the university in ##. よろしくお願いします。

• I'm starting to get you

I gave my iPod to my crush for his thirtieth birthday. For the first time in our six-year friendship, he said, "I'm starting to get you. I'm starting to get youは「君のことが好きになり始めた」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします