• ベストアンサー

文法の質問です

America's invasion of Iraq has turned into an utter, complete, absolute, total catastrophe. By complete, I mean a catastrophe for Iraq, a catastrophe for America, a catastrophe for the Sunni people, a catastrophe for the Shia people, a catastrophe for the world. 上記英文の By complete は文法的にはどう説明するのでしょうか? 出典は↓です。 http://www.japantimes.co.jp/shukan-st/english_news/essay/2007/ey20070126/ey20070126main.htm

• goof
  • お礼率74% (794/1062)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • gooshinji
  • ベストアンサー率33% (5/15)
回答No.1

前文のcompleteの説明です。 mean A by B BとはAのことだ (Bにくる言葉の説明、補足です)

goof
質問者

お礼

早速回答ありがとうございました。 よくわかりました。

その他の回答 (1)

• mabomk
  • ベストアンサー率40% (1414/3521)
回答No.2

By ~, I mean ~ ~とは~という意味合いだ 前文で、「complete」を使っていますので、その説明ですね。 平文にすれば。こんな感じですかね。 I mean a catastrophe for Iraq, a catastrophe for America, a catastrophe for the Sunni people, a catastrophe for the Shia people, a catastrophe for the world. . . . by complete

goof
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

不安定なイラクの現状を論じるコラムの中の一文です。 Sectarian fissures still gape.という文の後に、続いているのですが、意味がよく分かりません。どなたか教えて頂けませんか。よろしくお願いします。 Iraq’s necessary three-way compact between Shia Arabs (around 60% of the people), Sunni Arabs (20%) and Kurds (20%) is still holding, but only just.

• 和訳と構造は・・・

Any word one may utter by way of counselling people to be moderate in their pursuit of happiness is apt to be construed as indicating a sour temper in the speaker. may utterの主語とisの主語がよくわからなく和訳ができません。主語はそれぞれどれ何でしょうか?

• 和訳をしてください

Since its invasion of Kuwait,Iraq has been subject to severe economic sanctions.Its economic activities,heavily dependent on imports,are virtually paralyzed.The people are exhausted,their lives a continual ordeal,and the main victims arethe Iraqi children. 長いですけどお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My brother-in-law asked that we all come around when possible on lunch hours, nights, and weekends to help keep her company. Our aunt made a schedule for people to stop by complete with bringing meals. stop by complete with bringing mealsの解説をよろしくお願いします

• 英語 文法(4)

( )に入る適語を選び、記号で答えなさい。 (1)This combination of letters doesn’t ( ) sense.   (a) mean (b) call (c) make (d) cause (2)A lot of people were ( ) to tears by the movie “Titanic.”   (a) moved (b) wanted (c) felt (d) cried (3)The World Series ( ) in victory for New York Yankees.   (a) played (b) resulted (c) expected (d) seemed (4)“Thank you for your kindness.” “Don’t ( ) it.”   (a) welcome (b) accept (c) let (d) mention よろしくお願いします。

• ‘a government of the people, for the people, by the people’

‘a government of the people, for the people, by the people’ 上は、有名な言葉ですが、具体的なことがどうもちょっと分かりません。 つまり、最初の of の意味がハッキリしないのです。 政府の構成員が普通の人々である ということなのでしょうか。 それとも、政府の所有者が普通の人々と言うことでしょうか。 なお、 ‘for the people, by the people’については、 「人々のための、つまり、人々の生活を守る為の」そして、「人々によって選挙で選ばれた」と言う意味かと考えています。 これは正しいですか。

• この英文の訳ができません

No matter where you stood in 2003,and we argued for the invation ,it is impossible to deny that the war in Iraq turned into a humanitarian calamity. 1)and we argued for the invation この文の扱いがわかりません。 2)humanitarian calamity 「人道主義の不幸」としか訳せないのですが、適切な訳を教えてください。

• 文法

(  )に入る最も適当な語句を選びなさい  1.Kana is ( ) of the two sisters.   ア.taller イ.the taller ウ.more tallエ. tallest  2.Teenagers now prefer soft drinks ( ) coffee.   ア.than イ.better than ウ.to エ.for  3.( ) a hundred people took part in the conference.   ア.Lager than イ.As much as ウ.More than エ. So many as  4.A tomato is ( ) a fruit than an onion is.   ア.rather イ.no more ウ.not more エ.no less 次の英文を日本語に直しなさい。   1. I can’t afford to buy a used car, much less a new one.   2. This computer is superior to mine.   3. The scientist is not so much a genius as a hard worker.   4. The more I hear about this successful story, the more I want to be a film director. 日本語の意味に合うように、(  )内の語句を並べ替え、全文を書きなさい。  1.たいていのサラリーマンは昼食にせいぜい、1000円しか払わない。   Most workers (more / 1000yen / not / pay / than / for) lunch.  2.私が黙ったままでいたから、いっそう彼女は腹を立てた。   She got (because / kept / all / angrier / I / the) silent.  3.この料理は見た目ほどおいしくない。   This dish (good / is / as / doesn’t / looks / as / taste).  4.子供が走り始めるとすぐに、信号が青になった。   No sooner (run / than / the child / started / had / to) the signal turned green. 日本語を英語に直しなさい。  1. 私の兄は、そんな失礼なことを言うほど愚かではない。(know better than を用いて) 問題数が多くてすみません。 よろしくお願いいたします_(._.)_

• 英文の解釈についての質問

質問があります。 People who delay might base their self-worth on their work and doubt their abilities. The thinking goes like this: to avoid a judgment of themselves that could be damaging to their self worth, they just avoid completing the task. 上記の文ですが、直訳すると 遅れる(ぐずぐずする)人々は、彼らの仕事と、疑わしい技術力で、自尊心を築いている。 この考えを推し進めると:自身の(能力の)ジャッジを避けることは、彼らの自尊心を傷つけているかもしれない。彼らはただ、仕事を完了することを避けているだけなのだ。 となるのですが、どうもto avoid a judgment of themselves that could be damaging to their self worth, they just avoid completing the task.がピンとこないというか・・・。 thatが途中にあるということの意味がいまいちわかりません・・・ つまり、to avoid a judgment of themselves がSということでしょうか?それとも関係代名詞のthat? Finally, for motivation I imagine how good it will feel to finish whatever it was I was putting off. こちらですが、 最後に、モチベーションについては私はいかに良いかをイメージする。 何かを終わらせること。 この辺までで後はピンとこないです・・・。なぜ , がないのに I was putting off.があるのか・・・。 記事はhttp://www.japantimes.co.jp/shukan-st/english_news/essay/2009/ey20091211/ey20091211main.htm?print=noframe  です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• Pic for back homeの意味

「Pic for back home(Jack and Tom in Iraq)という件名のメールが届きました。 アメリカ人の友達で、イラクに行っている人たちの写真が添付されていました。 任期は長かったはずなので、このタイトルはどういう意味か聞いてみたら 「these pictures are intended to be viewed by people who live in delaware county or people who go to area schools」 なんだそうです。 一体どうやったらこの長文が「Pic for back home」におさまってしまうのでしょうか。 文法でもなんでもいいので、どなたか説明をお願いいたします。