• ベストアンサー

ハリーポッターの訳、教えてください!

The ghosts didn't help ,either. It was always a nasty shock when one of them glided suddenly through a door you were trying to open. 上記の英文の、特に it was 以下なのですが、この it は when 以下をさしているという事で良いのでしょうか。It was always a nasty shockまでを訳した時点で、英語の出来る人の頭の中はどうなっているのでしょうか?もしも文がnasty shock で切れていたとしたら(本が破けていたとか、落丁だったりで)どう感じるものなのでしょうか?『いや、続きがあるはずだ』と思ったり、または前文に対象を求めたりするのでしょうか。要領の得ないヘンな質問ですいません。 自分の訳では「glidedなオバケの一つが、(これから人が)開けようとしているドアを突然すり抜けるときに、いつもイヤなショックを感じる。」 としてみたのですがどうなんでしょう?「glidedなオバケ」というのもイメージつきません。この状況ですが、これは、例えばドアのある部屋があるとして、辺りにはオバケが何匹か浮遊していて、その部屋に入ろうとドアノブに手をかけたときに、たまたま、オバケがドアを通り抜けて、その時に嫌なショック(ブルブルなどの振動)がある(手を伝って感じる)。ということですか? a nasty shock ですが、one of them だから a なのですか?themならば a は無しですか?   英語はどうにも苦手なのです。教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sat_o
  • ベストアンサー率14% (6/41)
回答No.4

まず、このitは代名詞のitです。ここでは、It is + 名詞 + wh節の構文で使用されています。「節」とは、文と同様に{主語+動詞}の形を必ず含み、しかも文の一部分に過ぎない単語の集まりを言います。 例文・Yuko told me that she would study English. ユウコは英語を勉強するつもりだと私に語った。 今の質問文の場合、wh節の直前にthatが隠れていると考えることもできるので、itはthat以下の内容ということになりますが、前述のように、thatは省略されていてwh節が残っているとこのような形になります。 例文・ It's a pity thing (that) you can't come.    あなたが来られないのは残念なことです。 というわけで、落丁その他ではないと思われます。 次に、when以下は、前述の通り、「節」なので、when以下には、必ず{主語+動詞}の関係がなければいけません。よって、主語はone of them (具体的には、その前の文のThe ghosts のことです)で、動詞はその直後のglidedということになります。 よって、この部分(when 以下)は「glidedなオバケの一つが」というようにglidedをone of them にかけてはいけません。よって、ここは、「one of them がglided(「・・・を通り抜けた」)したとき」となります。 always a nasty shock は、always:「いつも決まって」、a:「ある特定の」nasty shock「ひどい精神的動揺」の状態になるのだった、というように解釈してはどうでしょうか。というのも、Itからwhenの直前の内容が強調されていると考えられるからです。 こんなところでお役に立てますか?今後は質問される前後の一文や何作目かということも情報を提供してもらえるともっといいかもしれませんね。

ozonzo
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。ご丁寧にありがとうございます。なかなか難しいものですね。コツコツがんばるしかないですね。  やはり前後の情報は大事ですよね。文脈が無ければ絞り込めませんもんね。ではどうもありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

>後で意味上の主語がかならずきます 省略されている場合もあるよ。

ozonzo
質問者

お礼

省略されている場合もあると。うーん。自分の場合、強引に何かを主語にしてしまいそうですが、そのようなものに出くわした場合は上記の事に留意して、難解なる言語に向き合おうと思います。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.2

この it は 英語でも preparatory it といい、後で意味上の主語がかならずきます。そうでない it は ただの代名詞で~す^^。it is ....といったあたりで代名詞でなければ、そのあとに when とかがないとこけそうになります。なので、a shock でも shocks でもOK^^!

ozonzo
質問者

お礼

なるほど。からなず来るんですか。素人なのでそのような注意が全く働かず、従ってコケもせず、「これは一体どうしたことか?」と、ただ呆然とするばかりでした。このような文法があるのですね。早くコケれるほどになりたいものです。ありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

glideは「滑空する」という意味の動詞です。日本語のグライダーのグライドです。 だから、“when one of them glided suddenly through a door you were trying to open”のところは、「開けようとしているドアを幽霊が突然滑空してすり抜けていったとき(=開けようとしたドア(まだ開いていない)から突然幽霊が出てきて鉢合わせしたとき)」のようなことだと思います。 “It was a nasty shock”の“it”はwhen以下をさしているということでよいと思います。 “It was a nasty shock”までの時点では、itが何を指しているのか正確にはわからないと思います。 でも、大体の意味を取るという意味では、前の文に出ているghostに関することであると推測はできますから、「Itが何を指すか」と改めて訊かれない限り、あまり違和感や問題意識は抱かないのではないかと思います。 で、「Itが何を指すか」と改めて訊かれたら、やっぱり「続きを読まないと分からないな」ということになりそうな気がします。 “a nasty shock”は、ショックがひとつ(1回)だから“a”がついています。 幽霊がたくさん出てきて「わっ!、わっ!、わっ!」となったら“nasty shocks”と複数になると思います。でも、たくさんの幽霊がいっぺんに出てきて「わっ!」となったら、やっぱり“a nasty shock”になるでしょう。

ozonzo
質問者

お礼

やっぱり読まなきゃ分からないですよね。やっぱり一回ビクッとしたって事ですね。どうもありがとうございます。参考になります。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• ハリー・ポッターからの質問です。

His classroom smelled strongly of garlic, which everyone said was to ward off a vampire he'd met in Romania and was afraid would be coming back to get him one of these days. was afraid と would be の主語が省略されていますが、he was afraid the vampire would be coming back ~ ということですか?and でつながれていますが、どのような構造になっているのか教えていただけると助かります。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の疑問について教えていただけないでしょうか?

文章の訳し方についてなのですが、 Hw was a doctor and was always very busy.という文があるのですが、and was~のところでwasというbe動詞があるだけで主語がないのにどうやって訳せばいいのでしょうか?是非教えてください。 また riding roller coaster was one of them.という文があるのですが、one of them の所はそれらのうちのひとつと訳すのになぜtheyではなく、themなのでしょうか? また Would you like another glass?という文章があるのですが、それはオレンジジュースを飲んでいる客に向かって、店員が言った言葉なのですが、ここでの another glass?とはどういう意味なのでしょうか?

• morning, one

It was a wonderful morning, one that neither of them would ever forget. oneの意味合いは何でしょうか? It was a wonderful morning that neither of them would ever forget. とは何が異なるのでしょうか?

• 現在完了形と現在形について

以下の会話文で(1)と(2)には現在完了形が使われていますがどうしてでしょうか。現在形(1.Are you always) (2. am)にしても不自然ではありませんか?Aさんはいつでもスズメバチが怖いのだから現在形でも良いと思うのですが、だめでしょうか?どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 A:One day last week, I saw a wasp. It was enormous. I have never seen one like that before. B: Did you kill it? A: Certainly not. B: (1 Have you always been) frightened of wasps? A: Yes, but I ( 2 have been) a lot more scared of them since one stung me recently.

• この英文の訳の仕方を教えて下さい

When he traveled inside his country on holiday,he always took it with him. itは彼が飼っている犬です。 私の訳 休日に国内へ旅行へ行くとき、彼はいつも犬を連れてた。 大意   休暇で国内を旅行する時は、彼はいつも犬を連れて行った。 with him がわかりません。どういう役目なのでしょうか? When he traveled without his dog, Churchill made one of his servants bring it to the station to meet him. itはチャーチルが飼ってる犬です。 私の訳では、会わせるために。となったのですが 大意では、迎えるために。 となっていました meetにはそういう意味もあるのでしょうか? One day, Churchill was coming back from a trip. His servant was traveling with him got out of the train just after him. 私の訳 ある日、旅行から、チャーチルが帰っていた。彼の~~ 大意  ある日、旅行から帰り着いた時の事だった。彼の~~ になっていました。どう訳せば大意の用になるのでしょうか? ただの過去進行形?にしか見えない!

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (9) Originally the job of vizier was given to the sons of the king, but by the New Kingdom any official could rise to the position. It was possible for an ambitious commoner to become vizier, and it was possible for a vizier to become king. In times of turmoil, when weak kings ruled, it was the vizier particularly talented vizier might serve more than one kingship. This had the advantage of making the royal changeover a smooth one. (10) One of the vizier's primary jobs was to uphold justice. Ancient justice doesn't sound like justice at all to us. It sounds brutal. Because tomb images paint a picture of life the way Egyptians hoped it would be in the afterlife, popular impressions of ancient Egypt are rose colored. No one likes to commemorate their failures, especially on beetles and certainly not on their tomb walls. Not only that, Egyptians believed anything written came true. Believing that, one would surely be very careful what they wrote. Egyptian life was not the idyllic paradise so many would like to believe. It had a dark side. (11) In Amenhotep's time, the top 5 percent of the population controlled the wealth of Egypt. At the head of it all, of course, was the king. Ranked below him were the vizier and several hundred families who ran the country as priests and overseers. Just below these elite families was a growing upper-middle class of educated people. And below them was the bulk of the population―people who were tied to the land, illiterate and unskilled. As the middle class grew, it became more and more worried about protecting its wealth. Punishments for robbery became more severe.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

Walters is a man of few words. When asked by the press why he did it, he said: 'You can't just sit there.' When asked if he was scared, he answered:'Wonderfully so.' When asked if he would do it again, he said: 'No.' And asked if he was glad that he did it, he grinned said:'Oh,yes.' The human race sits in its chair.On the one hand is the message that says there's nothing left to do.And people like Larry Walters are busy tying balloons to their chairs, directed by dreams and imagination to realize them.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (8) Much of what we know about the war with the Hyksos comes from the tomb of an Egyptian officer. Ahmose, son of Ibana, inscribed on the columns and walls of his tomb details of the many battles he fought with the Hyksos. "I was taken to the ship Northern, because I was brave. I followed the king on foot when he rode about on his chariot. When the town of Avaris was besieged, I fought bravely on foot in his majesty's presence." Ahmose was rewarded for his valor, he "was appointed to the ship Rising in Memphis. Then there was fighting on the water...I made a seizure and carried off a hand." To keep track of the number of enemy soldiers killed, it was the custom to cut off a hand and present it to the king. (9) For his victories―and the hands that went with them―Ahmose, son of Ibana, was awarded seven times the medal of honor called the Golden Fly. The Golden Fly was a gilded pin shaped like a horsefly. Although the horsefly may seem like an odd shape for a war medal,the Egyptians chose it because the horsefly was the tormentor of beasts. This medal of honor was presented only to the bravest soldiers. (10) A Roman historian writing in the first century CE, Josephus, tells us how it turned out in the end for the Hyksos.  They enclosed Avaris with a high strong wall in order to safeguard all their possessions and spoils. The Egyptian king attempted by siege to force them to surrender, blockading the fortress with an army of 480,000 men. Finally, giving up the siege in despair, he concluded a treaty by which they should all depart from Egypt. (11) Archaeologists working at Avaris don't see evidence of a mass slaughter. They believe the Hyksos were expelled and took their possessions with them. One way or the other the message was the same: Hands off Egypt.

• 英文の訳をお願いします。

(1) Are you jealous that he came one place above you in OP Best Dressed Man list? (Sam came 7th, Tom 8th) (2)now that I know about this he, I am! Saying that, he deserves that because I rock around in scruffy jogging buttons and scruffy boots most of the time. I think I scrub up okay, which is possibly while I was on that list. But Tom is always well dressed. Some people have just got it; I wish I was one of them.

• 日本語訳を! 5-(7)

お願いします。 (18) Abydos wasn't the only sacred site. There were many others throughout Egypt. Some temples were mortuary temples for dead kings, and others were built to honor a particular god. Some, like Abydos, were both. Abydos honored Osiris, and because Osiris was the King of the Dead, it also became an important burial ground. (19) For Egyptians, the stories about the gods were comforting and provided guidance in a world that was unpredictable and governed by forces they didn't understand. Horus watched over them in this life. Osiris watched over them in death. When their world was in turmoil, they believed it was Seth fighting with Horus that created the chaos. When all was well, they were sure that Horus had won the battle. They believed that one day Horus would defeat Seth in a smashing final combat. Then Osiris would be able to return to the world of the living and all sorrow would end. Until then, it was a god-eat-god world.