• ベストアンサー

文構造がわかりません。

大学受験の参考書の例文なのですが、文構造がどうなっているのか、わかりません。誰か、わかる方、お願いいたします。 The astonishing art which all birds display in the construction of their nests, ill-provided as we may suppose them with proper tools, their neatness, their convenience, always make me ashamed of the untindiness of our houses.

noname#150377
noname#150377
  • 英語
  • 回答数9
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • fwkk8769
  • ベストアンサー率61% (160/259)
回答No.9

2点だけ書かせていただきます。 (1) 「neatness, convenience の箇所が唐突に名詞が出現してしっくり来なかったのですが、主語の部分 astonishing art を置き換える同格的な名詞と考えてよろしいでしょうか。」 (←回答#1に対する「補足」) ⇒ いわゆる同格ではなく (the) astonishing art、their neatness, their convenienceの3項の「併置」だと考えます。 学校文法では数項目が並んだとき(併置)には最後の項の前に接続詞andを置くように指導されますが、現実の英語ではこの場合のようにandのないものも多いようです。(←『英語語法大事典 第4集』(大修館書店、p.739))このことは文の述語動詞がmakeであることによって示されています。もし、仮に同格と考えると (the) astonishing art = their neatness = their convenience となり、この部分は三人称単数形(makes)になるはずです。 (2) 「as 以下の部分ですが、私は、young as he is 「彼は若いのだが」のような譲歩構文だと思ったのですが、いかがでしょうか。」 (←回答#6に対する「お礼」) ⇒ そのとおりだと考えます。この部分は “We may suppose them ill-provided with proper tools.” のsupposeの目的格補語の ill-provided の部分がこの譲歩構文になって節の始めに繰り上がっていったものでしょう。 supposeはVC構文を VとCの間に ”to be” なしでとることができます。残念ながら『ジーニアス英和辞典』などはこの構文をとりあげていません。しかし、OALD(第7版)は ”formal” と断った上で次の例文を挙げています。 She had supposed him (to be) very rich. I had supposed his wife a younger woman. また、『旺文社レクシス英和辞典』も<+目+(to be)補>として次の例文を挙げています。 I suppose him (to be) about fifty.(彼は50歳ぐらいだろうと思う;口語では(that)節を用いる方がふつう)

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

細かい点まで、教えていただいて、どうもありがとうございます。主語の併置の箇所など、大変参考になりました。

その他の回答 (8)

noname#47281
noname#47281
回答No.8

この文ではconvenienceまでが主語になります。先ず、 The astonishing artが中核になり、 which以下の関係節が修飾しています。ill-provided はthe construction of their nestsを後置修飾しています。 as we may suppose themはその ill-providedをさらに修飾していて、 with proper tools, their neatness, their convenienceはThe astonishing artにかかっています。

• amip
  • ベストアンサー率53% (69/129)
回答No.7

ill-providedについて、いろいろ考えたのですが、 supposeは基本的にthat節しかとらず(とってもto do構文)、suppose them ill-provided with proper toolsと考えにくく、 ill-provided (as we may suppose) them with properだと考えたのですが、 もしかすると、もともとは ill-provided as we may suppose that they are with proper tools だったのがthat節がなくなり名詞化して ill-provided as we may suppose them with proper tools となったのかもしれません。 文法的に解釈できなくて申し訳ないです。

• amip
  • ベストアンサー率53% (69/129)
回答No.6

全体の文構造は the astonishing art(S) make(V) me(O) ashamed(C) となっています。 which all birds---,ill-provided as---,がthe astonishing artにを修飾していて、 さらに、their neatness, their convenienceはthe astonishing artの同格的補足です。 *in the construction of their nests in+~ingで「~する時に」(on+ ~ingは「~すると同時に」)で、in+動詞派生名詞+~ingでも同様。 名詞的直訳は「彼らの巣の建設」だが、このofは目的格なので「彼らの巣を建設する時に」(their=all birds) *ill-provided as we may suppose them with proper tools これは分詞構文が挿入された形。ill-は否定のニュアンスを含む接頭語。provide=「与える」なのでill-provided=「ちゃんと与えられていない」この部分を分かりにくくさせているのはas we may supposeが挿入されているから。as we may supposeは「我々は思うだろう」ill-provided them with proper tools =「適切な道具をちゃんと与えられていない」 *無生物主語+make+O+C ~のせいで(/おかげで)/~すれば *ashamed of A Aを恥じる *the untidiness of our houses untidiness < untidy=「乱雑な」 形容詞派生名詞+of+A =「いかにAが~かということ」 全訳 「全ての鳥が巣を作るときに見せる驚異的な技術、それは適当な道具も与えられていないのにと我々は思うのだが、そういった巣の小奇麗さ、便利さなどを見ると、いつも私は自分達の家がいかに乱雑かと恥じ入ってしまうのだ」

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

大変詳しい説明、ありがとうございました。訳も大変格調高く、参考になります。as 以下の部分ですが、私は、young as he is 「彼は若いのだが」のような譲歩構文だと思ったのですが、いかがでしょうか。

• sukinyan
  • ベストアンサー率38% (119/313)
回答No.5

はい、同格的な名詞というのが大正解だと思います。

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

ご協力ありがとうございました。

• rgeen
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/4)
回答No.4

今の絶対間違ってます! signakさんの解答がパーフェクトだと思います。 まぜくってすみません><

• rgeen
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/4)
回答No.3

初めの1節はよしとして、 まず、"ill-provided as~"が"~しないように用意された"という訳で、これがsupposeの後の"かれらがtool以下のものを持っている"という内容を打ち消しているんだと思います。ここまでがこの文の主部です。 そして、その後に来る節はそのまま訳せばオッケーです。 だから1文通しての訳は、「全ての鳥が巣という建造物の中で誇示行動を行っている、それらが清潔さ、便利さという好ましいものを持っていると考えないように用意された、その驚くべきアートは、我々にその家におけるuntindinessを恥ずかしいと思わせる。」って感じですかね。 displayの訳はこれで良いか自身なしです。鳥がする求愛行動みたいなものの事かと思って。untindinessの訳も分かんないです。 私も勉強中なので、お役に立てるか分かりませんが^^

回答No.2

我々から見れば粗末な材料にもかかわらず、すべての鳥がおあつらえの道具を使って巣を作るのに示す驚くべき技術、また、その巣の整然さ、便利さを見るにつけ、私はいつも我々の家屋の粗雑さが恥ずかしくなる。  the astonishing art,their neatness,their convenienceの3つが並列的にmakeの主語になっているように思います。

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

訳までつけていただいて、どうもありがとうございました。大変すばらしい訳だと思います。

• sukinyan
  • ベストアンサー率38% (119/313)
回答No.1

The astonishing artが主語ですね。このartの説明として、all birdsが巣作りの際に示すもので、しかも鳥達は適切な道具一つ与えられていないのにと思ってしまいますが、と説明が追加され、それから主語を具体的に言い換えてneatness, convenienceと説明して、最後に、動詞make、目的語me、恥ずかしく思う内容の説明と続いております。下手な説明で申し訳ありません。せめて少しでもお役に立てれば幸甚です。

noname#150377
質問者

補足

sukinyan さん、ありがとうございます。neatness, convenience の箇所が唐突に名詞が出現してしっくり来なかったのですが、主語の部分 astonishing art を置き換える同格的な名詞と考えてよろしいでしょうか。

関連するQ&A

• このthoughはどのような働きをしているのですか?

このthoughはどういう働きをしているのか The astonishing art which all birds display in the construction of nets,though they don't have proper tools,their neatness and their convenience,always make me ashamed of the untidiness of our houses. A,B andC構文です。 displayの目的語がThe astonishing art(正確にはan?)で、 in the construction of netsが修飾しますが though they don't have proper toolsまでもが 名詞のかたまりとして修飾される意味がよくわかりません。 thoughS+Vだとしたら普通の接続詞として働くと 思うのですが、もしや副詞として働いているのですか?

• 主語の入れ替わり

ある文章から抜粋です。 初めのtheyはtreesを意味します。 Not only have they provided people with one of their most valuable construction materials; but by their strength, beauty and stillness they have soothed their spirit and have been constant pleasure to their eyes. stillnessの前後でtheyの内容が入れ替わっているのだとは思いますが、このような書き方をすることは許されるのでしょうか。(確かに、their eyesというあたりを読めば、最後の一文のtheyがtreesを意味しているわけではないのはわかりますが)

• 日本語に翻訳お願いします。

以下の英語の文章を日本語に翻訳お願いします。 April brings the primrose sweet, Scatters daisies at our feet. The name April comes from the Latin word aperire- to open, because it was the opening of the year. The robin and the red- breast, The robin and the wren, If ye take out of their nests, Ye'll never thrive again. The robin and the red- breast, The martin and the swal- low, If ye take out of their nests, Bad luck will surely follow. The four popular birds mentioned in this old rhyme were once held sacred: the robin because his red breast associated him with fire and light, and later with Christ's blood which stained his feathers when he hopped on the Cross; the wren because he is the King of All Birds, having won the contest to see who could fly highest by hiding unnoticed in the eagle's feathers (an early example of a booster missile?); and the martin and the swallow because they signified the return of summer. Many people still consider it lucky to have a swallow's or martin's nest on the house.

• 次の英文の訳をお願いします!!

Ironically,these modern tools of communication can also be tools of alienation,making us feel so out of touch, so much more in need of real human contact. lf a computer message came addressed to “Dad”,I'd feel forgotten and neglected. lf my name appeared along with his,it would brighten my day and make me feel like l was part of their family unit after all. Yet always there was some distance to be crossed,not just over the telephone wires.

• 長文の翻訳お願いします!

PASSENGER PIGEONというタイトルの英文なのですが英語が得意なかた翻訳お願いします! Early explorers in the United States found pigeons in unbelievably large numbers.One of the things the settlers noticed about them was that they went from one place to another at particular season.At that time passenger was used for a bird of this kind. So the early pioneers called this bird a passenger pigeon, though migratory pigeon, pigeon of passage, blue headed pigeon,and wild pigeon were also used.The story of these beautiful birds is a sad one. At one time the largest flocks were numbered in the billions.Their nesting places were sometimes several miles in breadth and forty or fiffy miles long. Some trees in these areas would have a hundred nests in them, and others were broken down entirely by the weight of the birds. Pioneers sometimes saw flocks passing overhead which they estimated to be at least a mile wide and 240 miles long. For many years after white men came, the number of these birds did not appear to diminish, but as the country became more and more populous, and as thousands of people continued to destroy the birds without regard to their survival, they began to disappear. The last one in the whole world died at the Cincinnati Zoological Park in 1914. We unconsciously refer to this remarkable bird when we use the expression Stool pigeon.

• relateという動詞

ある精神科医の紹介の文章を訳していて、一部分だけわからなくて困っています。 He knows from personal experience that no matter how severe a person’s distress, there is always a person inside. When provided the recovery relationships, principles, and resources, that person inside is capable of relating and regaining control over their life. という文章なのですが、最後の文章のrelatingは述語を持たないのでしょうか、あるいは、あとのtheir lifeを述語としているのでしょうか? また、意味はどうなるのでしょうか? relateという動詞の意味が今ひとつわかりません。 自分の周囲の人びとやできごとと関係を持つということなのか(述語がない場合)、自分の生活とつながりを持つということなのか(述語がtheir lifeの場合)。後者だと、心の中に引きこもっていた自分が現実の生活をおこなうようになる、そんな感じになるのでしょうか。 教えていただければと思います。

• 英文を日本語に訳してください。よろしくお願いします

The return of spring to North America feels like a blessing. Parents are dragging their young children to the park. Students are taking out their Frisbees. And bird watchers, armed with field glasses and guidebooks, are heading out to search for their favorite species. But the bird lovers may be in for a disappointment. Radar studies of annual migrations suggest that the number of migrating birds in America may be down by nearly 50% over the past 30 years. Various reasons for the decrease have been proposed, but climate change caused by global warming is high on the list for many experts. Building on some 40 years of bird counts, Dutch scientists report that populations of a migratory species called the pied flycatcher have dropped an astonishing 90% over the past two decades in some areas of the Netherlands. And in that case, there doesn`t seem to be any doubt about why: flycatchers are on the decline because climate change has made them late for dinner. Those active, acrobatic birds spend the winter in West Africa and return to their Netherlands nesting grounds in the spring to lay eggs. When their babies hatch, the parents feed them mostly with caterpillars. The timing of the flycatchers` migration has evolved to take place during an approximately three-week period after Dutch plants have flowered, when caterpillars are largest in quantity.

• これの和訳を教えてください。

Recently, Nakagawa et al. have numerically studied the planetary growth and shown that the growth times of the Earth and Jupiter are orders 10^6~10~7 yrs and 10^7~10^8 yrs, respectively. But, for the case of Neptune, a very long time, which is comparable to or longer than the age of the solar system, is needed for the growth ( these growth times, nevertheless, are shorter by a factor of 10 or 100 than those obtained by Safronov). As they have pointed out for themselves, their results are not always final but tentative because in their calculation some assumptions and simplifications are made for the sake of convenience; one of these is that for the rates of collision and of gravitational scattering due to the mutual encounters between planetesimals, formulae in a free space (i.e., without the influence of the solar gravity) are used.

• the story of my life 和訳

授業でヘレンケラーのThe Story of my life をやっているのですが、上手く和訳ができないので和訳の方を教えてほしいです。 When the time of daisies and buttercups came Miss Sullivan took me by the hand across the fields, where men were preparing the earth for the seed, to the banks of the Tennessee River,and there,sitting on the warm grass,I had my first lessons in the beneficence of nature. I learned how the sun and the rain make to grow out of the ground every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food, how birds build their nests and live and thrive from land to land,how the squir-rel, the deer,the lion and every other creature finds food and shelter. As my knowledge of things grew I felt more and more the delight of the world I was in. Long before I learned to do a sum in arithmetic or describe the shape of the earth,Miss Sullivan had taught me to find beauty in the fragrant woods, in every blade of grass, and in the curves and dimples of my baby sister's hand. She linked my earliest thoughts with nature,and made me feel that "birds and flowers and I were happy peers." 長文で申し訳ないですが、よろしくお願いします。

• 英検の読解で、わからないところがあります。

英検準一(2014年第3回) ”Predator Effects ” 第二パラグラフ The results showed a 40 percent reduction in the number of offspring produced by females in sections where predator recordings had been played. Zanette believes this was the result of changes to the birds' behaviors. These females laid fewer eggs, and when the eggs hatched, the females made fewer and shorter trips from the nest to search for food. Additionally, they built their nests in denser vegetation, making them harder for predators to find but also more difficult for the sparrows themselves to research. ※Zanetteはbiologistの名前です。 以下の文の成り立ちがわかりません。 making them harder for predators to find but also more difficult for the sparrows themselves to research. 質問1:分詞構文ですか? 質問2:themは何を指していますか? 解説よろしくお願いします。