• ベストアンサー

「これを食べてくださいませんか?」について

アメリカの人に下のように言われて説明に困っています。 説明の仕方を教えてくださいませんか? But... I think the 'kudasaimasen' is kind of negative. Because it's like saying, will you not eat this? So it's a polite way to say 'will you eat this?' It's kind of wierd And it doesn't translate into English very well. 私が思うに、「くださいませんか?」は否定ではなくて、 依頼だと思うのですが。 だから意味が肯定になると思います。 どこからどこまでを区切って、どう説明したらいいでしょうか? もちろん日本語でお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

日本語を教える教科書的には かなり初期に 「テニスをしませんか」とか 「一緒に映画をみませんか」 などの 「~ませんか」構文がでてきます。 これを通じて否定疑問の形で依頼表現になることを 学びます。 ご質問の 「~てくださいませんか」は 「~てください」構文に、この依頼表現を 組み合わせたものです。 「~てください」は、命令に近い表現なので (例 授業中は日本語を話してください    車はあそこに停めて下さい    金曜までにレポートを出してください) 否定疑問の形にすることで 依頼的なニュアンスを加えて、ソフトにしたものです。 >だから意味が肯定になると思います。 依頼は依頼で、肯定も否定もないです。 肯定依頼も否定依頼も(走らないでくださいませんか) ありますからね。 逐語訳するように日本語(に限らず外国語)を 学ぼうとするのは 学習方法として根本的に間違っています。 逐語訳は意義がない、ということを知るのが 外国語学習の第一歩のはずです。 今後、 「勉強しなければなりません」のような 形としては二重否定の義務表現を学ぶ際、 逐語訳方式では混乱するばかりですよ。

runbini
質問者

お礼

> 依頼は依頼で、肯定も否定もないです。 なるほど。日本語を習うという立場の人にとっていい回答をありがとうございました。新鮮です。

その他の回答 (4)

noname#215107
noname#215107
回答No.5

以下はアメリカの友人から来たメールの一部です。 ご質問の内容とは少しずれていますが、否定疑問文を用いて何かをしてもらうよう依頼する表現は、確かに英語にもあります。 "Why don't you sit down"? This is a confusing form of syntax. The question is really meant to be a declarative statement of courtesy. The speaker is asking someone if they would like to sit down and be more comfortable. A clearer and better way of offering a seat to someone would be to say "Won't you please sit down?" 彼の記述によると"Why don't you・・?"という表現は、質問者の依頼をそれほど強く出していないようですね。"Won't you please sit down?" のほうが「座ってくださいませんか?」に近いと思います。

runbini
質問者

お礼

ちょうどアメリカの人が同じような事を話していたところです。 If your boss says, "Why don't you come into my office" this is normal. As long as you don't say it like a question. Because, normally a question has a different tone of voice than a normal statement. So, in this case, it is pronounced like a normal statement, and not like a question. Because... If you say it like a question. Then it's like an accusation? "Why won't you come into my office? Is it because I smell bad?" めちゃ笑えました。日本人はよく疑問文の形で言うのでfunnyだそうです。最初この人がタイトルの日本語では否定なのにどうして肯定なんだ?などと言ってきたのでこの話題になりました。日本語でも英語でも言い方によってネガティブの意味なんか関係なくなってしまうようですね。外国人への説明の仕方に的を絞って言えば、「つまり日本語ではそういうのだ」の一言になってしまうんでしょうね。

runbini
質問者

補足

回答にちゃんと答えるのを忘れて脱線してしまいました。すみません。「座ればいいじゃん」というのと「お座りになってくださいませんか?」のニュアンスですね。後者がタイトルの日本語に近いというわけですね。

• sunasearch
  • ベストアンサー率35% (632/1788)
回答No.3

日本人は、一般に自分の感情を表に出さないところがありますので、直接的な表現を嫌う傾向にあります。 「これ、食べて」 というと、相手に食べることを強要して、押し付けがましく感じるので、控えめに、 「これ、食べない?」 と、食べてもらえないだろうけど、 もし良かったら食べて、 と遠まわしにお願いするのが、 美しいと考えるのです。 否定との違いは、語尾を上げるか下げるかですね。 「これ、食べない↓」は否定 「これ、食べない↑」は疑問

runbini
質問者

お礼

押し付けがましさを減らすためなんですね。特に最近「なくなくない?」など流行ってますものね。

• Jinjim
  • ベストアンサー率24% (81/332)
回答No.2

英語にも類似の表現があると思います。 この場合、 I hope you to eat this, don't you? そのアメリカの方にこの文を示し、 「これを食べてくださいませんか?」 は、まさにこの英文と同じ構造であることを説明してみてください。

runbini
質問者

お礼

付加疑問文はネガティブですね。それと同じ形だと説明すればいいんですね。 でも付加疑問文はこういう形で使えるとは知りませんでした。

• rentahero
  • ベストアンサー率53% (182/342)
回答No.1

日本語のメンタリティの問題ですね。 「これを食べてくださいませんか?」は、もちろん依頼なのですが、「食べていただけないでしょうがそこをなんとか」というニュアンスが含まれているんだと思います。 「予期している結果が『食べてもらえない』であるから、『食べてくださいませんか』という表現になる」んだと思います。 なので、否定表現なのは当然です。

runbini
質問者

お礼

もともとは否定だということですね。なるほど。メンタリティとはいい事をおっしゃいますね。

関連するQ&A

• That’s very kind of you to say.

「そう言ってくれるのはとてもありがたい。」という気持ちを表わすのに次のような表現を耳にします。 1. It’s very kind of you to say so. 2. That’s very kind of you to say. 3. That’s very kind of you to say so. このうちの2の英文についてお尋ねします。 このthatは (あ)3の文の主語のthatと同様、「そういってくれた(あるいは「…くれる」)という事実、あるいは出来事を指しているのでしょうか? (い)それとも、相手の発した言葉そのものを指しており、形の上では文の主語であるものの意味上は動詞sayの目的語と考えるべきものでしょうか?

• 英訳のお願い

全部の訳は結構ですので、概要を短くお願いいたします。 This year I could brush up my English ability very much because of kind replies from all of you. I am grateful. I will continue to study English by visiting this web site (OK Wave) and may ask your kind reply only when you are interested to reply to my questions. Best regards

• 和訳をお願いします。

海外の友人が英語について教えてくれているのですが、何と書いてくれているのでしょう? **When you start a sentence with "so," it's like it connects it to the previous sentence. For example. The man was hungry. So, he decided to go buy a burrito. In this case it's like it's filling in for "because of this." "Let me see what I can do," and "I translated my message into Japanese" don't seem to connect in quite the same way. If you wanted to use "so", you could say- I'd like to help you as well. So, I'll translate my message into Japanese. Another way you could think of it is if the two sentences COULD connect naturally with only a comma you can use "so." You can write- I'd like to help you as well, so I will translate my message into Japanese. You can't write- Let me see what I can do, so I will translate my message into Japanese. Hope this helps, let me know if I'm writing too many notes here!

• 和訳をお願いします。

海外の友人が英語について教えてくれているのですが、何と書いてくれているのでしょう? **Repeatedly works fine, but it sounds just a little bit unnatural. "Again and again" is one way you could say it. "On repeat" is a newer way of saying it because it refers to how you can set a DVD player or an iPod etc to play a movie or a song over and over again. "Against my better judgement" feels more like you're saying you made a mistake. Someone might say "I called my ex-girlfriend last night, against my better judgement." "Way too many times" is like saying you've listened to it a ton of times, so much that it's an unreasonable amount. You could say that about something you didn't enjoy ("My brother made me watch that movie way too many times..") but it's not weird to say it about something you did enjoy. It's kind of like saying something happened so much that it's strange.

• 君がそんなことを言うのは、面白い。英訳について

It's interesting your saying that. 「君がそんなことを言うのは、面白い。」 という 英訳が 参考書にあります。 これの 意味上の主語your が いきなり入っているのがわかりません。 私なら  You're interesting to say that. にしたいと思っています。  他のIt's important for me to 原形動詞~. だったり It's careless of you to ~. のときは、前置詞があるのにinteresting には、何も後は、つかないものなのでしょうか?  宜しくお願いいたします

• 添削してください

abが同じ意味の文になるようにカッコ内に適切な語句を入れないさい。 (1)a:Let me introduce myself. b:( )myself. これについては完全にお手上げです。文末が?マークならWii you mind if I introduceとやるところですが? (2)a:Will you kindly say it again? b:Will you (do me a pardon)? でいいですか? (3)長文です Ron:Wow! That guy is so・・・ud.CAn you hear what he is saying? Ken:He is talking to someone about whrere to meet Ron:Do you really think it'S urgent ? Ken:I don't knw about this guy,but in most( )it's not. ・・・はプリントが薄くて読めません。 かっこないは of でいいですか? 以上です、よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします。

海外の友人が僕の英語について教えてくれているのですが、何と書いてくれているのでしょう? In English, the rules on starting a sentence with the word "but" are kind of weird. It's fine in an informal setting like this, but if you were writing something where grammar was super important (like an English assignment or something) you might want to start another way. It's easy to replace it with something else/restructure the sentence like

• 英文の訳をお願いします。

僕に海外の友人が英語について教えてくれているのですが、詳しく知りたいので力を貸して頂けると有り難いです。よろしくお願いします。 * If you say "it does not serve as a bed" that typically means that it is not able to be used as a bed.  In the next sentence you mention that sometimes you like to sleep in it, so a better way to describe what you're saying could be... "A kotatsu will serve as a table, but it's not intended to be used as a bed." This way you're saying that it's not supposed to be a bed, but you could use it that way if you really wanted to. * I wasn't sure if this is what you were trying to say so I guessed.

• 身に付けなくても英語の先生になれるが、身に付けなければ外国人ともロクに会話もできない英語のスキル

こんにちは。学校の英語の先生といってもロクに外国人と話せない人も多いですよね。さて、タイトルの日本語を英訳してみました。どれが一番いいでしょうか? 他にもっといい表現がありましたら、教えてください。 (1) the skill of English that even if you have not got you can become an English teacher but if have not got you can't talk well with foreigners. (2)the skill of English without which you can become an English teacher and you can hardly talk with foreigners. (3)the skill of English such as you can still become an English teacher but you have enough trouble of speaking with foreigners without it. (4)the skill of English, lack of which doesn't prevent you from becoming an English teacher but allows you insufficiently to converse with foreigners.

• Obama Wins South Carolina Primary

Mr. Obama did not mention his rivals by name, but alluded to his challenges ahead. “We are up against decades of bitter partisanship that cause politicians to demonize their opponents instead of coming together,” he said. As the crowd cheered, he added: “It’s the kind of partisanship where you’re not even allowed to say that a Republican had an idea -- even if it’s one you never agreed with. That kind of politics is bad for our party, it’s bad for our country.” >“It’s the kind of partisanship where you’re not even allowed to say that a Republican had an idea -- even if it’s one you never agreed with. ” この部分が何を言おうとしているのか漠然としていていまひとつで、訳をしようとしましたができません。 文章構造も知りたいですが概略でも結構ですのでお願いします。