• ベストアンサー

描出話法…

A maid came to the door after Stephen had rung the bell two or three times. Asked whether Mr Carstairs lived there,she answered that he did. Was he at home? No was the reply,Mr Carstairs is at the church. The tone in which this was said clearly implied that the questioner was a fool for expecting him to be anywhere else. And Mrs Carstairs? She was at church too. And the door slammed.  上の英文を今日授業でやったんですが、うちの教師はなにぶんいい加減で、テキトーに流しちゃうんです。  描出話法が使われている英文ですが、No was the reply,Mr Carstairs is at the church. の部分がなぜ”is”なのかわかりません…。過去の京大入試に出たものらしいんですけど。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • potechu
  • ベストアンサー率42% (45/107)
回答No.2

なんでもいいから英文法書で現在時制について見てください。その用法の中に、「永遠の真理」とか「継続・反復的な習慣」というのがありますね。  ここでは、日曜日の朝にカステアズ氏が教会にいるってことがそれにあたります。ですからその後に「なんて馬鹿なことを聞くんだろうっていう口調だった。」とありますね。なぜ現在形なのかわからなければ、現在時制の用法を自分で調べなおすことです。それが学習のチャンスなのですから。安易に人に尋ねるのは、自力で解を見出すチャンスを放棄していることになります。  ちなみにこの部分は描出話法とは無関係ということも、前の回答者の説明でわかったでしょう。

shinji-tm
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。「継続・反復的な習慣」言われてみればそうですね…。描出話法にとらわれて検討が足りませんでした…。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

描出話法とか中間話法というのは,この英文中のWas he at home?のような言い方です。すなわち,Stephan asked her whether he was at home.という間接話法のように,時制の一致によるwasを用いながら,直接話法のように,通常の疑問文になっているような場合です。Mr Carstairs is at the churcn.の部分は直接話法なら現在でよいのでしょうが,間接話法や描出話法では過去になるはずです。実際,後のShe was at church too.はそうなっています。結局,直接話法と考えるしかないと思うのですが,引用符を補って。あるいは,No was the reply「答えはノーだった」と書いた後で,「Mr Carstairsは教会にいるんだ」と劇的現在(本来は過去で書くべきところを,作者が今見たかのように現在で書くこと)を用いた,ということでしょうか。

shinji-tm
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。劇的現在、ですか。初めて知りました^^;

関連するQ&A

• この英文は描出話法によるものなのでしょうか?

次の一節はPearl Buckの短編小説を翻案して書かれた短編小説'The Beech Tree'の冒頭部分です。(検定教科書「Pro-Vision English CourseII」(桐原書店)収録の第5課の最初です。)   When Mary Lou came home from school, she found her father doing something new. With a big sheet of paper on the table, he was drawing lines on it with a ruler and a pencil. “What are you doing?” she asked. “I am going to build something.” Her father's response called for another question. “A playhouse?” Mary Lou always wanted to have a playhouse, and since her father was a carpenter, it would not be hard for him to make one for her. “I am going to build a room onto our house.” Her father now started to reveal the answer. “Your grandfather is coming to live with us.” Mary Lou got so excited at the news that she went upstairs to find her mother. She was sitting in the rocking chair, holding Timmie, Mary Lou's baby brother. “Mother, Grandfather is coming to live with us. Isn't that wonderful?” “I hope he will be happy here,” her mother said in a soft voice. “Why wouldn't he be happy?” Mary Lou asked. “Well, it's just that he's very old,” her mother said. 真ん中より少し前の since her father was a carpenter, it would not be hard for him to make one for her は以下のように解釈してよろしいのでしょうか。 ◎ Mary Louが心の中で思ったことをいわゆる描出話法で書いたもの 特に助動詞wouldをどう考えればいいのかで困っています。ご教示ください。

• 直接話法教えてください

直接話法にするにはどうしたらいいですか? 1 She told me that she had been ill for a week . 2 He asked me the boys who they thought she was. 3 He exclaimed with delight that those flowers were. 4 she said that she would admit the fact if she were in my place. 5 she said that she would have done the same thing if she had been in my place . よろしくお願いします!

• 直接話法、間接話法について

これを書き換えてほしいです。 (1)My favourite film is about an invisible man. She told me '() .←続く文章を教えて欲しいです (2)"I don't like westerns. " He said (). (3)'They are actors ‘. She told us (). (4)‘The film isn't really about fashion.’ He said (). (5)‘I work for a film studio. ‘ He told me(). (6) 'That director is famous.' We told her (). (7)‘I write thrillers. ‘ She said (). (8)‘The scene reminds me of another film.’ He said().

• 話法を変えて書き換えるにはどうしたらいいですか

話法を変えて書き換えるにはどうしたらいいですか 1 The man said to me ,"Would you show me your album?" 2 She asked her mother whether she might go on a picnic some of our friends if it was fine the next Saturday. 3 This morning my father told me that he was going fishing in the lake tomorrow and asked me if I would not go with him. 4 She said she hada seen her brother the previous week but that she had not seen him since. 5 She said he was giving a party that week but she was sorry not be invited to it. 6 I said to my mother ," I am thirsty . Please give me something to drink." 7 The child said ,"What a long nose this animal has!" 8 Tom asked Lucy what she thought of his plan. できたら和訳も教えてください。 よろしくお願いします

• 英語の時制の一致・話法についてです。

英語の時制の一致・話法についてです。 問:7日午後7時からパーティがあり、そのパーティに「彼女」が来ることになっており、「彼」は 7日の午後5時頃に「彼女は今晩くるよ(He said,"She is coming here tonight") 」といった。 (1)同日の午後8時頃、パーティ会場で「彼」の文が言われた場合 (2)同日の午後6時頃、パーティ会場で「彼」の文が言われた場合。 (1)、(2)のHe said that she…に続くように重複なく選択しないさい a is going here tonight b was going here tonight c was going there that night d was going there tonight e was going here that night f is coming here tonight g was coming there that night h was coming here tonight i was coming here tonight j was coming here that night という問題です。 私はどちらも同日の同場所なので i だと思ってしまったのですが重複は不可なので困っています どなたか得意な方解説をお願いいたします。

• こちらも書き換えお願いします

次の英文を( )に当てはまるように書き換えてください お願いします こちらも至急です [1] He insists that they are innocent. → He insists ( )( ) being innocent. [2] He repents that he was idle in his youth. → He repents ( )( ) been idle in his youth. [3] He is ashamed that she ( ) her promise. → He is ashamed ( ) having broken her promise. [4] He was afraid that someone might oppose his plan. → He was afraid of ( )( ) his plan. [5] There was no doubt that he had heard the news. → There was no doubt of ( )( )( ) the news. [6] This bridge is not strong. The truck cannot cross it. → This bridge is not ( )( )( )( )( ) to cross. [7] They are discussing what they should do next. → They are discussing ( )( )( ) next. 基本的な問題ばかりですみません・・・

• stood ajar

よろしくお願いします。 ドアが半開きになっている状態を「stood ajar」と 言っているようですが、なぜこのような表現になるのでしょうか。 breathless she came to the door that stood ajar The large combination door stood ajar he verified that the church door stood ajar At the very end of the passage a door stood ajar ( 訳もいただければうれしいです。)

• この英文の解釈に関しまして

こんにちは。 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [UK, adult版] p.223 11章の第一文に関してです。 Harry did not want to tell the others that he and Luna were having the same hallucination, if that was what it was, so he said nothing more about the horses as he sat down inside the carriage and slammed the door behind him. ハリーはルーナが自分と同じ幻覚(馬車を引く馬で他の学生には見えないがハリーとルーナには見える)をみたことを誰にもいいたくありません。そのことを書いている英文です。 この文で「if that was what it was」はどのように英文解釈すればよいのでしょうか? 日本語では「幻覚だったかもしれない…」となっていますがなぜこのような日本語になるのでしょうか? 「what it is」は「それが何であるか、それが何か」というような意味になるかと思うのですが、それと同じように解釈すると、今度は「if that was」とつながりにくくなります。 どのように解釈すればよいのでしょうか? 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 話法の問題が解けません。

話法の問題が解けません。 1. She said to him, "Please help me with her homework." She ( ) him ( ) help her with her homework. 2.She said to me, "Do you remember me?" She ( ) me ( ) I remembered her. 3. She said to him, "What do you mean?" She ( ) him ( ) ( ) ( ). 4. She said to him, "Let's talk about it." She ( ) to him that ( ) ( ) talk about it. 5. She said, "How happy I am!" She said with joy that she was ( ) happy. 6.He said, "May God help me!" He ( ) that God ( ) help him. 7. Yesterday she said to me, "I'll see you tomorrow". Yesterday she told me that she would see me ( ).

• 参考書の英文、訳、註記です。註記ではasをwhatとして扱っていますが

参考書の英文、訳、註記です。註記ではasをwhatとして扱っていますが、辞書には that which に当たる説明は見当たりません。この用法が載っている辞書があるのでしょうか? He looked at her as he hadn't looked at her for years. She was as she always was, quiet and selfpossessed, a middle-aged woman who made no effort to look younger than she was.[意味]何年にも絶えてしなかったような眺め方で彼は彼女を眺めた。いつも通りの彼女だった、物静かで、落ち着いた、年寄りも若く見せようと化粧などしない中年の女だった。 ※ as[←what] she always was を具体的に説明するのが続く部分。