• ベストアンサー

どこで区切るのか分かりません。

タイムの記事ですが、よろしくお導きください。 The kid who was born serious, who was greeted on campus with Kazoos buzzing Hail to the Chief, who was tagged on national TV at age 27 as a future President, who marinated in the Senate among 99 other aspiring Presidents for 29 years before launching a bid for the White House that this time a year ago saw him barely twitching at about 10% in the polls, had shown exactly the kind of toughness his opponents claimed he lacked. 生真面目に生まれ、大学のキャンパスでは「よー、大統領」と呼ばれ、27歳で将来の大統領と全国版のテレビで指名された若者は、大統領戦を始めるまでの19年の間、大統領への野心を持つ他の99人の上院議員の中でもまれた。一年前のこの時期の世論調査では、彼がたった10%の支持者しかひきつけていなかったことが、彼には、ライバルたちが言っていたようにまさにタフさのようなものが欠けていたことを示していた・・・・でいいんでしょうか?だめですよね? よろしくお願いいたします。 http://www.time.com/time/election2004/printout/0,8816,750685,00.html (4番目のパラです。)

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Shimo-py
  • ベストアンサー率61% (170/275)
回答No.2

なんとも読みにくい英文で厄介ですね。全体の構造は先にmaryjoeさんが示しておられますので、まずは追加のご質問にしぼってお答えします。 ◆お尋ねの that は、daifukumochiさんのおっしゃるとおり関係代名詞(主格)です。 「that ... saw him barely twitching at about 10% in the polls」とありますから、まだ民主党候補を選ぶ段階だった昨年の同時期には、ケリー氏のことを「世論調査でなんとか10%程度の票を動かす程度の奴だ」とみくびっていたわけですね。thatの先行詞は the White Houseです。 ◆まわりくどい書き方の英文ですが、要は生まれつき真面目で、大学時代もエリートで、若い頃から将来有望ともてはやされ、29年間、上院議員をつとめてしのぎを削ってきた彼のことを、ホワイトハウスは去年の今頃までは脅威と見ていなかった、という事実を背景にした英文です。 ◆さらに、文の主構造をよく捉える必要があります。 「彼には、……まさにタフさのようなものが欠けていたことを示していた」のではありません。逆です。(この点は maryjoeさんのご回答を参照してください)。また had shown が過去完了であることから前後関係についても注意を払うことが必要です。

daifukumochi
質問者

お礼

なるほど、先行詞はthe white Houseだったのですね。それで、ブッシュ陣営が、一年前のこの時期にはケリーを過小評価していたことが読み取れるのですね。有難うございました。すっきりしました。それにしても、あーあ。まだまだ修行が足りません。 また、教えて下さい。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• maryjoe
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/1)
回答No.1

The kid に(1)who was born serious,(2)who was greeted on campus with Kazoos buzzing Hail to the Chief,(3)who was tagged on national TV at age 27 as a future President, (4)who marinated in the Senate among 99 other aspiring Presidents for 29 years before launching a bid for the White House that this time a year ago saw him barely twitching at about 10% in the pollsという4つの関係代名詞節が続き,これが主語となっています.そしてこの主語に対応する動詞がhad shownです.つまり,基本的な文構造はThe kid had shown exactly the kind of toughnessということになります.さて動詞の目的語の部分ですが,例えばthe girl who I think is John's girlfriendの場合,the girl who * is John's girlfriendの*のところにI thinkが挿入されていると考えるのと同じように,本文のthe kind of toughness (that) * he lackedはhis opponents claimedが挿入されていると考えられます.意味はともかく文構造のみの説明でした.これをもとに訳してみてください.

daifukumochi
質問者

お礼

早速有難うございました。 まだ、疑問があるのですが。 the White Houseの次にくるthatは、関係代名詞でしょうか?となると、ここの訳はどのようになるのでしょうか? あつかましいですが、よろしくお願いいたします。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• at this point in time とat this point の意味上の違い

at this point in time と at this point の意味上の違いは何でしょうか? 例えば、 What we need most at this moment [point] in time is a person(s) who can press on with immediate ceasefire at Gaza District. [ ]内の単語は、その直前の語と入れ替えるものとします。 という文で、in time をつけた場合、つけない場合とで、意味の違いは何でしょうか? in time の語句で、何かが強調されるのでしょうか?

• スフィンクスの謎掛け

有名なスフィンクスの謎掛けで What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs in the evening? にオイディプスは It was a man. と答えているのですが、なぜ was を使うのでしょうか? たとえば、Who am I? と目隠しをされたら You are ・・・! と答える気がするのですが・・・。 お願いします。

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します。

This music video was filmed in Chishima Apartments in Taisho Ward, Osaka where I lived as a child. At the time, fashion model Akane Osawa, who was a bit older than me but went to the same elementary school, lived there too. The footage begins at the plaza between Building 3 and Building 4 and ends on a rooftop that is now closed. Please check it out.

• 和訳

Ichiro's season-long quest for the record ended in the Mariners' 160th game, an 8-3 victory. Sisler's 81-year-old daughter, Frances Sisler Drochelman, who was on hand, said Ichiro is the right person at the right time. 末尾の Ichiro is the right person at the right time. はどう訳すのでしょうか?

• 構文分析、よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

On arriving at Liverpool, I made the acquaintance of a man, who had been in America some years previously, and not having his hopes realized at that time, had returned desperate to England, taken in a fresh cargo of hopes, and was now making a second attempt with as much enthusiasm, if not more, than others in making their first. 構造分析、よしくお願い致します。 できるだけ丁寧に解説して頂けると嬉しいです、

• 場所を表す前置詞 in の on

前置詞の問題で二つ質問です。 <その1> 以下の2つの例文は、1が in the mountains で mountain の前置詞には in を、2は on Ridgeback Mountainで前置詞には on を使っています。同じmountainなのに異なっているのは、1は複数形になっているので山脈を意味し、一つの山でないから on でなく in を使い、2は固有名詞、つまり1箇所を指しているので on を使うのでしょうか? 1.Fred loves to go camping in the desert, but Kyle prefers to camp in the mountains. 2.While they were hiking on Ridge Mountain, Laurelle and Frank saw a bear in the woods. <その2> 以下の2つの例文は、1が on Delancy Street で on を、2が in the street で in を使っています。 これもその1とほぼ同じ理由でしょうか? 即ち、1は固有名詞なので狭い感じがしてon、2は一般的なstreetなので広い感じで in。 1.You can buy stamps at the post office on Delancy Street. 2.The old man who was standing at the corner yelled at the kids who were playing in the street.

• 英文法の答えがわかりません。凄く困っています。

A girl ( ) a dress was at the party. (1) putting on (2) in (3) at (4) on という問題で、正解は(2)らしいのですが、 (1)と(2)がどちらも正解のような気がするのですが、 どうして(2)が正解で(1)が正解でないのか、 わかりやすく教えて欲しいのです。 よろしくお願い致します。

• beach に関する質問です。

昨日彼どこにいた? 彼はビーチにいたよ。の英文の回答は4つありました。 He was at the beach He was on the beach He was on a beach He was at the seaside です。 on ではthe, aどちらも○ しかしat 使用時では the のみでした。 これにはどのような理由があるのでしょうか? また、 at の後ろはtheという決まりがあるのかなと思いきや 彼らはレストランにいました。の回答文では They were in(at) a restrunt の2文が出てきたので、ますますわからなくなりました。 しかもなぜbeach ではthe, a どちらもOKなのにレストランは a のみ なのでしょうか…? 私はどちらの問題も a が正しいと思ったので、a restrunt , a beach と回答しました。 この beach と a, the に関し何かご存知でしたら教えて頂きたいです。 宜しくお願い致します。

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

The band had jobs to make ends meet. Weiland chauffeured models (including his future wife Mary, who was 16 at the time) and got a graphics job by pretending to be a student at the Otis School of Art and Design. He drove a 1986 Nissan pickup at the time. For a time Robert worked occasionally as a counter clerk in soda fountains, he later worked at a record store. Weiland and Dean DeLeo lived together for a time in a flat in Los Angeles, which they believed to be haunted. The band was thirsty to get outside of Southern California, and when the Seattle Grunge scene broke out in late 1991 and record labels began seeking out alternative rock acts, STP would finally get their shot. Steve Stewart recalls the band getting signed by Atlantic Records in April 1992, “The band was signed off the Mighty Joe Young cassette, when a very hard-working A&R guy at Atlantic named Tom Carolan came to see them after hearing from his best friend Don Muller, to whom I had given a demo tape and invited to a show. Don became their first booking agent and is one of the top music agents in town today. Tom's immediate boss was Jason Flom, who also believed very much in the band. Danny was being brought in to run Atlantic on the west coast at that time and was also there for the signing.”

• 単文の訳出お願いします。

In my mind I kept tem separate because I could function much better having a clear cut idea about what I consider the difference in operating on the basis. The reason it was such a debatable subject is because the overwhelming majority of the people who were organizing and who were officials of unions in the South had been at Highlander. So the public who only saw that did not know what went on at Highlander.