• ベストアンサー

lays tileとdo jack

He is, for a lack of a better term, god-awful with money. I've told him a million times that I don't care if he lays tile or becomes a hairdresser. I'm just so afraid of becoming my mom, working 80 to 110 hours a week and having a partner who doesn't do jack. lays tileとdo jackの意味をよろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4115/5350)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。lays tile は文字通り、「タイルを貼る」(=つまらない仕事をする)、ととるのが自然でしょう。  うがった見方をすれば、「タイルを貼る、などの口実をつけてよその奥さんと情事をする」という下記の意味にも取れます。  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=laying%20tile 2。ここの "doesn't do jack" のjack は、赤木の下の方の名詞の13番の(俗語で普通打消しと一緒に使われる)途中記され、any thing at all とか the smallest amount と定義されている意味です。  https://www.thefreedictionary.com/jack  ですから「全然何にもしない」相棒、という意味です。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• What do you think?

What do you think? My name is Rich Oaktreefield. I think "Attraction equal Un-attraction. Cosmos can't consist without it. When the speed of a substance approaches infinitely to the speed of light, it becomes infinite [ mass ] and Un-attraction also becomes infinite. So Cosmos expansion. What do you think about it?

• よろしくお願いします

My mom recently passed away at 91. She had a great life and went peacefully at home in bed during the night. I took charge of her medical care and finances after Dad died 10 years ago. After Mom's funeral, my brother insisted he would move into her house while he remodeled it, which could tie up the house for a year. It made no sense to me. I am Mom's executor, and I felt it was unfair to me and my other brother. When I said no, he got really angry, accused me of many mean, untrue things and announced that he disowned me. I responded that I love him and he will always be my brother, but it was his choice. The pain of losing my mom and my brother has been awful. Now I'm working to sell the house, and he interferes and is mean every step of the way. But I have to move ahead and do my job. I don't respond to anything negative he writes. Have you some advice on how to repair our relationship? tie up the houseはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、Have you some adviceはDo you have some adviceと何か違いはあるのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どう思われますか? How do you think?

どう思われますか? How do you think? I think "Attraction equal Un-attraction. Cosmos can't consist without it. When the speed of a substance approaches infinitely to the speed of light, it becomes infinite [ mass ] and Un-attraction also becomes infinite. So Cosmos expansion. Definition:Un-attraction is reaction of attraction. How do you think about it? 私は考えます。 「引力とは離力であり、それなくして宇宙は成り立たない。物質の速度が光に対し無限大に近づく時、その質量は無限大となり、離力も無限大となる。だから宇宙は膨張する。」 定義:離力とは引力の反作用」英文上では"Un-attraction"と表現しています。 どうお考えになりますか?

• a million and one things.

So what should I do when I've got a million and one things on my plate? 意味: では、膨大な仕事の量を抱えている時には、どうしたらいいでしょうか。 この英文、 a million of things なら分かるのですが、a million and one things は普通に言いますか。 どうしてこうなるのでしょうか。

• have a lot of things to do

1, I have a lot of things to do. 2, I have to do a lot of things . いつもお世話になります。1,2は、意味がどう違いますか。

• Hey, do you remember the

Hey, do you remember the name of the guy from yesterday? And where he was from? If you do, I want to know.に、 He was Dutch His name is Oteと来たのですが 彼はオランダ人だったよ。 名前はオテ。と言っていますか? Oteの読み方はオテですか? オランダではポピュラーな名前なのでしょうか?

• よろしくお願いします

I spent an evening with a guy I've been wanting to date for some time. After a few drinks he confided to me that he has a serious heart condition. He said he doesn't expect to live past age 23 and he could die any day. I don't know the details of his condition, but I'm sure he believes what he told me. Because of this his life has taken a downward spiral. He has been drinking a lot, failed multiple classes last semester and feels like studying is futile if he may only live a year after graduating. For lack of evidence to the contrary, I accepted his statement as accurate. For lack of evidence to the contraryの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• afraidの使い方 過去を残念がることはできるか知りたいです。

こんにちは。"I am afraid that" の使い方についていくつか質問があります。 先日、「AがBするという都合の悪い事が起きると予想していて気がかりだ」という意味を出したくて、 "I am afraid that A might do B" という訳だしをしました。すると、AがBしたことは、もう起きたことなのか、推測なのかを確認されました。 この表現は、ミスリーディングでしょうか?ほかによい表現はありますか? また、個人的には、過去に起きたことや、過去に起きてしまったようであることを、残念がったり、心配するときは、 "I am afraid that A did B"  (I am afraid that he failed the exam. 「かれが、試験に通らなくて残念におもう」とか) "I am afraid that A might have done B" (I am afraid that she might have broken his heart. 「彼女が彼を振ってしまったかもしれないと心配だ」 ) のように思ったのですが、辞書や"afraid that"の検索を見ると見つかるのは、大体、 "I am afraid that I cannot attend tomorrow's class" (英文検索・訳自作) (残念ながら、明日授業に参加できないと思います) "He was afraid that he might hurt her feelings" (英和辞書) (かれは彼女の感情を傷つけるのではないかと不安におもった) "I'm afraid that she will fail the exam."(英和辞書) (どうも彼女は試験に落ちるように思う) と、(ある時点から)将来のことを不安に思ったり残念がる用法しかないようにも見受けられます。 http://tatoeba.fr/eng/sentence_comments/show/51175 などと過去完了のthat節と使われる例も一応見かけますが、afraid that を使って過去のことを残念がる述べる一般的ではないのでしょうか? そのときは、"I am sorry that A did B", "Unfortunately A seems to have done B" ぐらいになるのでしょうか? 込み入っていて申し訳ありませんが、片方でもよいので答えを待っています。

• how do you do の使い方

こんにちは。お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、主人公である子供達が潜水艦に乗りたいな、と眺めている場面で、 以下のような描写が有りました。 The man peered at them. ‟Hello!”he said. i'm Professor Tangle. ‟How do you do,” said Wilf. ‟My new crew?” said Professor Tangle. ‟You look a bit young.” ‟We’ re not your new crew,”shouted Wilf. ‟How do you do!” この場合の‟How do you do!”は、「初めまして」でいいのでしょうか? しかし、だとしたら何度も繰り返しているのが、不思議です。 また、最近は‟How do you do!”を使わなくなってきたとも聞きました。 この物語はイギリスのものなのですが、少々、古臭い、かしこまった表現なのでしょうか? どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をお願いします。

I think i had forwarded you photos of my animals earlier,so why do you need more photos?I am becoming skeptical about this all since many people do contact us and get this photos and papers and end up not purchasing from us,so am afraid its not the case here.