Put Us on the Map

このQ&Aのポイント
  • As a biophysicist turned CEO, I've successfully negotiated three contracts that have put our company on the map.
  • What does the idiom 'put us on the map' mean in this context? It seems to go beyond the literal meaning.
  • Can you provide some insight into the expression 'put us on the map' and its significance in this article?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

put us on the map

I'm a biophysicist with a physics PhD who went into engineering, and from engineering into project management, and from there into being the cofounder and CEO of a small company. All is going well. I've managed to negotiate three contracts that have put us on the map.http://www.elle.com/life-love/ask-e-jean/advice/a46201/ask-e-jean-ceo-afraid-of-failure/ ここでのput us on the mapはイディオムでしょうか?文字通り「地図にのった」では意味が通らない気がするのですが。。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

put on the map は、~を有名にする、と言うイディオムです。オリジナルは、町などが、有名にして地図にも載るようにする。転じて有名にする。映画界では、put someone on the mapと言うと、(人)を有名にする。 I'm a biophysicist with a physics PhD who went into engineering, and from engineering into project management, and from there into being the cofounder and CEO of a small company. All is going well. I've managed to negotiate three contracts that have put us on the map. 私は生物物理学者で物理学の博士号を持っており、エンジニアに転じました。そしてエンジニアからプロジェクトマネージメントに進み、そこから小さな会社の共同創設者兼CEOになりました。すべてがうまく言っています。私は3つの契約交渉を取りまとめ、それによって会社を有名にしました。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

ここでのput us on the mapはイディオムでしょうか? はい、「世に知らせる」「世に知られる」「有名になる」と言う下記のような、熟語です。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=put+on+a+map

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• put について(put on と put in)

読売新聞のサイトで五輪サッカーの記事を読んでいたところ、ちょっと気に掛かった表現があったので、質問します。 いずれも put を含むもので、簡単そうで難しい文章だと思いました。 引用1: The U.S. in particular seemed to struggle with the climate, unable to put on much of a running game. But while the Japanese huffed and puffed for possession, it was the Americans who would score moments after halftime. 質問: ここで、"put on much of a running game"という部分が、なんとなく理解しづらいのですが、どういう構造&意味なんでしょうか? 直前の climate を修飾しているのでしょうか? それとも seemed の「補語」なんでしょうか? 引用2: "My boys put in a real hard fight and I am proud of them. We still have a lot of improving to do, but we did some things very well tonight. " 質問: ここでの put in a real hard fight が微妙に理解しづらいのですが、どういう意味でしょう? 以上宜しく、ご教授お願いします。

• put two eggs on to boil

NHK実践ビジネス英語2016年10月号Lesson 14(1)のCollinsさんの台詞です。 At 5:30 a.m. he'd wake up, put on his bathrobe, go to the kitchen and put two eggs on to boil. 「5時半に起きるとバスローブを羽織り、キッチンに行って卵を2つ茹でていたものです。」 一見するとput something on to doで「何かに~をさせる」というように見えます。 句動詞put onの一番基本は(1)着る、履くですが、(4) 仕立てる、上演する、着けるという意味もあり、クリケットの用語では、<投手の位置に>着けるというのがありました。 put another man on to bowl 別の人に投球させる ここでは人が目的語でないので「~させる」という用法ではないので、「茹でるために(ソースパンに)卵を置く」という感じでしょうか?でも、なんとなく変な感じです。 以前のテキスト@ 2008年5月L5(1)では” how to boil an egg”というインストラクションを載せていたことがあります。そこでは、”place the egg in a saucepan”となっていました。 ということで、Web検索で”how to boil an egg”を調べて見ました。 ・Put the eggs in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them by about 1 inch. ・Because if you put the eggs in second, they might crack as they fall to the bottom of the pan. ・put eggs in cold water / Put refrigerated eggs in a heavy bottomed pot and cover with cold tap water so they’re covered by about 1” (2.5cm) of water. ・place the eggs into a saucepan / add enough cold water to cover them by about 1cm(珍しい1cmです。Is she a Brit?) いずれも”on”がありません、ということは、この”on”は [動作の方向・継続] の副詞onでしょうか?すなわち、彼(Collins’ grandfather)は、この後、家の外へ新聞を取りに行きますから、卵を茹でているソースパンを火にかけたままでしょうか。危ないですね。 [質問] この副詞”on”は、”put two eggs on”「(ソースパンの中に)置いたままにしていた」でしょうか?それとも”put … on to boil”で「茹でたままにしていた」でしょうか? そもそも、to boilは不定詞でしょうか?”put someone to”の後は名詞が来てありがたくない表現になりますが… put someone to:4a) <人をある状態に>至らせる、<人に苦痛などを>受けさせる、 Collins: I know what you mean. For years my grandfather started his day exactly the same way. At 5:30 a.m. he'd wake up, put on his bathrobe, go to the kitchen and put two eggs on to boil. After that he'd put on a pair of slippers and walk to the end of his driveway to get the morning paper from his mailbox. @2016年10月L14(1) (1) 着る、履くのput onが両方使われています。その間にput two eggs on to boilです。 Kinkaid: Well, I’ve yet to see a site on how to boil water. But I hear there are sites devoted to tying a tie, chopping potatoes or slicing onions. Actually, there’s even one on how to boil an egg. It gives a series of instructional steps. First, place the egg in a saucepan. Then run cold water into it until the water is just an inch above the egg, etc., etc. @ 2008年5月L5(1) ここでは2つの”on”が登場しますが、前置詞で3 [関係・従事・影響] のonです。  I’ve yet to see a site on how to boil water  there’s even one on how to boil an egg ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• put

We owe a lot to the birds and beasts which eat insects, but all of them put together kill only a bit of the number destroyed by spiders. という文がありました。このputの働きがよくわかりません。なるべく詳しくご説明ください。

• (298) Then put on……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

次の文章は“Works and Days” by Evelyn Whiteの一節です。 (1)(2)(3)は連続した文章です。試し訳と語彙について質問します。 よろしくお願いします。 (1)(ll. 536-563) Then put on, as I bid you, a soft coat and a tunic to the feet to shield your body,—and you should weave thick woof on thin warp. <試し訳> 作品行番号(ll. 536-563);  次に、私がいう通り、お前の体を保護するように、柔らかなコートと足までの上着を着なさい。また、お前は細い横糸に一番太い縦糸を編むと良い。 (2)In this clothe yourself so that your hair may keep still and not bristle and stand upon end all over your body. この衣服を着れば、お前の髪はそのままで、逆立つことなく、お前の体全体を大事にする。 <質問> stand upon end all over your bodyについて endの意味が分からない。 「端から端まで、全体」の意味でしょうか。 (3)Lace on your feet close-fitting boots of the hide of a slaughtered ox, thickly lined with felt inside. 屠殺した雄牛の皮で作ったもので、お前にちょうど良い長靴を紐で縛れ。中に厚くフェルトを敷いたのを。 *bootsとは、皮の長靴だろうか、冬に履くものと考えられる。 (4)And when the season of frost comes on, stitch together skins of firstling kids with ox-sinew, to put over your back and to keep off the rain. そして、霜の季節になったら、雄牛の腱で 初産の子たちの皮を縫い合わせるのだ。お前の背中に貼り、雨を防ぐためだ。 *firstling kidsとは、山羊か羊の子の皮と思われる

• on wantの意味

Some of the states we zoomed in on want to integrate into and benefit from structures of global capitalism (Kuwait), others seek to develop their economic power and influence on a global scale (China). 上記英文中のon wantの意味・使い方についてご教示ください。 原典はhttps://doi.org/10.1080/09692290.2019.1665084 です。以上,宜しくお願い致します。

• put psychiatric holds

I was laid off about five months ago from a horrible law firm. I’m now working part-time doing research and writing that I love, but it’s really my husband’s job that is paying the bills. We’re not touching our savings, but we’re not able to put anything more into it either. I now have an unusual job opportunity as a hearing officerwho decides whether hospitals have sufficient reason to put psychiatric holds on patients. put psychiatric holds on patientsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 小説版刑事コロンボ:put muscle on peopleとは? 聞き込みをしたに近いニュアンスだと思うんですが、、、。

こんにちは、お世話になります。 現在小説版刑事コロンボのThe Glitter Murderを読んでいます。その中でちょっと分かりにくい文がありましたので、御助力をお願いします。 背景:コロンボ刑事が事件捜査をして行くうちに、重要参考人の知り合い(未成年の少女)が暴行事件に遭遇していた事実を知る。 殺人課のコロンボ刑事は自分ではその犯人を追わずに、他の刑事にその犯人逮捕を頼む。 そして、意外にも早く暴行犯逮捕の知らせを聞いたコボンボ刑事は驚いて「そりゃ早かったね。」という、それに対しての同僚刑事の返答。 ~~~~~~~~~上記の本より引用します~~~~~~~~~~~ We went out to the motel and 『put muscle on people』 who were paid to keep their mouth shut. They caved in quick and gave us the name of the guy who rented room that night. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (『』は僕が挿入しました。) 試訳:あっしどもらは、モーテルにいきまして、口止め料を払われた者どもにput muscle on peopleしてやったんです。 やっこさんども、あっさり折れて、あの夜、例の部屋を借りていた野郎の名を吐きやした。 と、put muscle on peopleが今一分かりません。 もしかしたら、muscle=圧力 put A on B=BにAを課す put muscle on people=あいつらに圧力を課す の意味でしょうか? あんまり詳しくは無いのですが、「あいつらに圧力を課してやったら、あっさり折れました。」って言いますか? 何かものすごく不自然な感じがします。 僕は、正しく理解しているでしょうか? また、直訳や自然な言い回しではどうなりますか? よろしくお願い致します。

• to put a man on the moon, とはどういう意味で

to put a man on the moon, とはどういう意味ですか? Now I'm reading the article "Is space expaloration worth the cost ? ". Actually, I 'm having hard time reading what this passage says". Here's the one I can't read clealy... Could you help me ? ↓ Since the beginning of the space era, it has been argued that the money spent on space exploration should rather be used on meeting the needs of the underprivileged. "If our nation can spend ・twenty bllions of dollars to put a man on the moon, it can spend billions of dollars to put God's children on their own two feet right here on earth". ・were stating respected figures like Marthin Luther KInd Jr. 上の文のto put a man on the moon のput はどういう意味なのでしょうか? put にはいろいろな意味がありまのは知っています。 were stating と 動詞、主語がこのような順番で使われるのはなぜですか? two feet right here on earth,「地球上のまさにここ、2フィート?」これはどういう意味なのでしょうか? on their own はわかります。 お分かりになる方がいましたら、よろしくお願いいたします。

• Put her on a budget

If Julie handles her depression by spending money, you need to be supportive without being indulgent. This is an area that is difficult for her to control. Put her on a budget and limit her access to your joint account. https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/anniesmailbox/s-2005747 Put her on a budget とはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

I'm trying to find another job, and last week I put him down as a reference. He texted me: "NEVER use my name again!" http://www.elle.com/life-love/ask-e-jean/advice/a37053/ask-e-jean-fake-affair/ put him down as a referenceの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします