Thales' Perspective on God's Existence

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Thales believed that god is in all things, providing a naturalistic explanation of observable phenomena.
  • His view that the mind of the world is god and that god is intermingled in all things influenced various world religions, including Buddhism.
  • The phrase 'that god' in the text refers to Thales' statement about the intermingling of god in all things.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文について質問です

Having sought to give a naturalistic explanation of observable phenomena, rather than appealing to the wills of gods, Thales claimed that god is in all things. According to Aetius, Thales said the mind of the world is god, that god is intermingled in all things, a view that would shortly appear contemporaneously in a number of world religions, most notably Buddhism in India. rather than appealing to the wills of gods, Thales claimed that god is in all things.というのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 直訳だと、神の意思に訴えるよりも、神はすべての中にいると主張した、ですか?意味がよく掴めません。 Thales said the mind of the world is god, that god is intermingled in all things, a view that would shortly appear contemporaneously in a number of world religions, most notably Buddhism in India. この英文のthat godのthatは、その、という意味ですか?それとも、saidがあってthat以下を述べた、ということですか? また、全体の構造がわからないのですが、(とりわけa view that would shortly ~以下の全体への繋がりについて) a view~と、most notably Buddhismはその前にあるin all things と並列になっているのでしょうか? in a view~ in most notably Buddhism~ 並列だとしてin all things と言ってて、in a view となるのがわかりません。 all viewsにはならないのでしょうか? 意味がよく取れてないのでわからないなですが。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

> rather than appealing to the wills of gods, Thales claimed that god is in all things.というのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 直訳だと、神の意思に訴えるよりも、神はすべての中にいると主張した、ですか?意味がよく掴めません。  appeal を 「訴える」 という意味に取ると、appealing to the wills of gods は 「神々の意思によるものであると主張するのではなく」 というふうに解されます。  ここで appeal という語を用いたので、次の文では違う動詞を使っています。つまり Thales claimed that ... というふうな表現にしています。  2つの文が深く関連しているので、合わせて1つの文のように扱って訳す方が分かりやすくなるかも。たとえば、「タレスは、神々の意思に帰させるのではなく、目に見える形の現象に (その原因を) 求めて、自然論的な説明をしようとしたのであり、神は万物に宿ると主張した」 のような感じの文として読めます。 > Thales said the mind of the world is god, that god is intermingled in all things, a view that would shortly appear contemporaneously in a number of world religions, most notably Buddhism in India. > この英文のthat godのthatは、その、という意味ですか?それとも、saidがあってthat以下を述べた、ということですか?  後者だと思います。理由は、ある god と別の god とを比較したり並べたりしているわけではないから。世界霊のような存在としての god に言及している以上、世界が1つであるのだから god も単一のはずです。従って this god とか that god とか対比しているわけではない。that god (あの神) というのでないなら、その that は接続詞ということになります。 > また、全体の構造がわからないのですが、(とりわけa view that would shortly ~以下の全体への繋がりについて)  基本は Thales said the mind of the world is god という部分だけです。その後ろに金魚の糞みたいに補足が続いている形。  that 以下は 「すなわち ・・・ であるというのである」 というふうに別な言い方で示しているだけ。a view 以下も同じです。 > a view~と、most notably Buddhismはその前にあるin all things と並列になっているのでしょうか?  並列というか、いろいろな言い換えを並べていて、最後に実例を持ち出してきています。 > in a view~, in most notably Buddhism~ 並列だとしてin all things と言ってて、in a view となるのがわかりません。all viewsにはならないのでしょうか?  in all things の things はこの世界の 森羅万象 のことです。a view は in all things の in とは無関係です。 a view はその前の文にある the mind of the world is god, that god is intermingled in all things という 「見方 (世界観)」 のことです。  あ、most notably Buddhism in India という部分は a number of world religions というものの実例を示した部分です。  「タレスによると世界の根源の魂は神であり、神はなべての存在物に宿っている、ということになる。そのような考え方は、ほどなくして時を同じくして世界各地に発生したおびただしい数の宗教に見られるもので、インドに起こった仏教はその典型である」

r_llwqcxary
質問者

お礼

appealとclaimにちょっと惑わされてしまったところもあるのですが、合わせて一つの文のように扱うとよかったのですね。 thatのは接続詞ですね。文は言い換えと実例から成っているのですね。よく読めていませんでした。 全体の訳を頂いて内容を掴む事ができました。 丁寧に有難うございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

> 直訳だと、神の意思に訴えるよりも、神はすべての中にいると主張した、ですか?意味がよく掴めません。 この直訳であっていますが、その前のHaving sought to.. から通して訳さないと意味が取れないのではないでしょうか? 「タレスは観測できる現象を自然論的に説明することを追求する時、神の意志を説明に使うよりもむしろ、神は全ての物に内在すると主張した。」 タレスの時代、古代ギリシャの時代にはきっと自然現象を神の意思にする事が多かったんじゃないですかね?その中でタレスは、神のみわざとせずに、かわりに神を否定するのでは無く、神はあらゆるところに内在していると言う思想を示したのでしょう。全てが神のみわざだと思っている人たちをいいくるめたのかも知れないですね。 最後の分は、 said に対して、the mind of the world is godと that god is intermingled in all things は同格で、別の言い方での言い換え。a view 以下も同格ですが、言い換えではなく補足説明になっていると思います。a view 以下 は、その前の"the mind ... god","that ... all things" 節と同格なので、文になっているのではなく長いですがひとつの句になっています。 a view that would shortly appear contemporaneously in a number of world religions, most notably Buddhism in India. インドの仏教が最も特筆すべき、同時期の短期間に世界のたくさんの宗教で現れることになる、ひとつの(神に対する)見方

r_llwqcxary
質問者

お礼

『タレスは観測できる現象を自然論的に説明することを追求する時』の部分を押さえて意味を考えるとよかったのですね。思想的な内容で難しかったです。 次は同格(言い換え)と同格(補足説明)から成っているのですね。 内容が取れました。 丁寧に有難うございます。

関連するQ&A

• この英文が正しいかおしえてください(*´ェ`*)

外国人のお友達に、 what do you think is the most important ingredient in a relationship? と聞かれて、 考えた英文です。 間違っているところや、もっといい表現があればおしえてください。 あと、この英文全体の話なのですが、 私は三つthe most important ingredient in a relationshipをあげたのですが、 何度もthe most important ingredient in a relationshipとしか書けなかったので、 それはどう英語で表現したらいいのかおしえてほしいです。 また、私は、何度もeach otherを使っています。 それも何だか不自然というか、英語が下手な感じがするのは分かるのですが、 どうしたらいいか分かりませんでした。 そこもおしえて頂きたいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。 (1) i think that one of the most important ingredient in a relationship is respecting each other. 恋愛関係において最も大切なことの一つはお互いを尊重することだと思います。 (2) because respecting each other is to know our good things and bad things. なぜならお互いを尊重することはお互いのいいところわるいところを知ることが出来るからです。 (3) Secondly, one of the important ingredient in a relationship is helping each other. また、お互いを助け合うことも大切です。 (4) When he or she in a trouble, they need empathically giving advices. 彼または彼女が困難にあったとき、親身になってアドバイスをすることが必要です。 (5) Finally, one of the important ingredient in a relationship is loving each other. 最後に愛し合うことが大切だと思います。 日本語もおかしいですよね・・・。 どうまとめればいいか分からなくて・・・。 どうかよいアドバイスをお願いいたします。

• 英語の質問です。自作英文を添削してください。

私は「one」を使いこなせないのですが、以下の私自作の英文の文法は間違っているでしょうか? Russian language is one of the most difficult one for Japanese people to learn of all the languages in the world. oneでlanguageをあらわしたつもりです。 「ロシア語は日本人が学ぶには世界の言語の中でも最も難しい言語の内の一つだ。」がもとです。 お手数ですがぜひ添削よろしくお願いします。 PS そういえば最上級で「~のうち」をあらわすのにinなのかofなのかときどき迷います。 John is the tallest of(in??) all his classmates. London is one of the biggest city of(in??)all the cities in the world. Mt.Fuji is the tallest in Japan. この辺も解説してくださるとありがたいです。

• 英文を御訳し願います。

The question is how limited beings like ourselves can alter their conception of the world so that it is no longer just the view from where they are but in a sense a view from nowhere, which includes and comprehends the fact that the world contains beings which possess it, explains why the world appears to them as it does prior to the formation of that conception, and explains how they can arrive at the conception itself. 上記英文を御訳し願います。

• 英文で質問があります。

(1)At first, the deprivation of having no one to talk with upon subjects that most deeply interested me seemed all but unbearable, but as I became acquainted I made the surprising discovery – I made it again and again in later life – that if I talked with the men and woman I met casually about things that interested them, if I drew them out, I often discovered unexpected riches of character or experience, sometimes the most delightful or amusing oddities or absurdities. (2)Every human being has a story in him – how he has come to be what he is, how he manages, after all, to live, just to live. これらの英文の訳を教えてください。

• 英文についての質問です。

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. This insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms--this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong in the ranks of devoutly religious men. (What I Believe by A. Einstein) わからない点について教えてください。 1)He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. つまり、私たちが経験することができる最も美しいものは不可解なものであるということを知っている人は、驚きに立ち止まり、畏敬の念にうっとりしたままでいる、ということですか? 2) To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms--this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religiousness. この英文の意味をとるのが難しいのですが、 To know that~is at the center of true religiousness・・・that以下を知ることは真の信心深さの中心にいるということである? as( the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty ) 最も崇高な知恵と最も光輝く美しさのように? our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms 私たちの愚鈍な能力がそれらの最も初期の形の中にのみ理解することができる? (どういう意味でしょうか?)   theirの指すものはhighest wisdom and the most radiant beautyですか? 3)I belong in the ranks of devoutly religious men. この英文で使われているrankは部類、という意味でしょうか? 質問が多くなってしまいましたが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 下記英文について質問があります。(2)

すいません下記の英文について質問があります。 It seems as though playing in the same room with someone is still the purest and most important form of musical communication to you. 同じ空間で曲をプレイするということは、あなたの曲作りのやりとりにおいてとても純粋で、かつ重要な事だと思えます。 Emails, SMS, letters, phonecalls, skype, you-name-it, those are all great ways to communicate, and I use them all. But being together, in person, is something different all together. I hope we can all agree that when you’re not in person, there at the same time, things get lost. Little things, big things, all kinds of things. And maybe if you know someone really well - which most likely you know them well from spending a lot of time in person - then it doesn’t matter ... Anyhow, I guess what I’m trying to say is that making music together over email can be very fun and rewarding, but it simply can’t be compared to making music together in the same space. It’s like night and day to me. And I think most anyone who has met Rutger or the guys from Efterklang, would say they are wonderful, kind, warm people. So making music with them in person is absolutely wonderful! Q1 But being together, in person, is somethingからa lot of time in person – then it doesn’t matter…までがどうも何が言いたいのかがつかめません。訳を教えてください。 Q2 Even if, as with Rutger, your approaches significantly differ from each other? たとえルトガー氏と同じように(作曲の)アプローチをとったとしても、あなたのアプローチはルトガー氏とは明らかに異なりますよね? この英文の訳はこのようなニュアンスで良いでしょうか? Q3 To me, a lot of your work sounds very direct, immediate and actually quite spontaneous, as detailed as it may be. Are you satisfied or rather annoyed when reviews call your work „,mature“? 私にとって、たくさんのあなたの作品はとてもdirectで、immediateで、実際かなり即興的です。このあとのas detailed as it may be.が訳せません。どういうことを言いたいのでしょうか? 1、2ともによろしくお願いいたします。

• この英文教えて下さい

many people throughout [○○○]have dream of a world without war. カッコに当てはまるのを教えて下さい。 ヒントは all the events that happend in the pastです。

• 英文についての質問です。

I cannot imagine a Got who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature.(What I Believe by A. Einstein)  わからない点について教えてください。 1)I cannot imagine a Got who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. ここの内容を掴むのが難しいです。 whose purposes are modeled after our own・・・whoseの先行詞はa Godですか? a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty・・・人間の弱さの反射である神?とはどういう意味ですか? a God、とaがなぜGodの前についているのでしょうか? 2)Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. 前文(I cannot imagine~)を受けてI cannot believe that~という理解でよいでしょうか? the individual survives the death of his body・・・個人は肉体の死を生き残る although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism・・・弱い魂はそんな考えを、恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通して抱くけれども ここで筆者が言おうとしている主旨はどういうことになるのでしょうか? 死んだあとも魂は生きる(?)という考え方はなぜ恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通していると見なされるのでしょうか? 3)It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. この英文の構造は、 It is enough for me to contemplate~ , to reflect upon ~, to try humbly~ と、三つのto不定詞がIt is enough for meである、という捉え方でよいでしょうか? この最後の部分が筆者の一番言いたかったことのように思うのですが、 It is enough for me to~の捉え方として、"~だけで十分だ"、といった解釈にしてもよいでしょうか?(通常、"~は十分だ"、になると思うのですが) 質問がいつも大変多くなってしまって申し訳ありません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文についてご教授お願いいたします 誇る

Who is the gretest person in your country(that)you boast to the world? 上記の文ではboastするのは人(場所ではないので、Anime is a culture that Japan boasts to the world.)自動詞用法としてofが必要、つまり、Who is the gretest person in your country(that)you boast of to the world?とすべきではと考えるのですがどうなのでしょうか また、不快感を与える聞き方になるのでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 訳をお願いします。

Perhaps connected with this failure to develop things properly in the world market is the curious enjoyment the British have of things that fail. Most British people do not take themselves too seriously. お願いします。