• 締切済み

以下の英文が難しいので要点にしてまとめて欲しいです

When Charlene smith found the intruder in her house in Johannesburg, South Africa, she started screaming. But he had a knife, and very soon her hands were tied behind her back with rounds of thick masking tape. Then he raped her. But her ordeal was not over after he left. In a country with one of the highest rates of HIV infection in the world, bureaucratic and hospital red tape kept her from getting preventive drug for 5 1/2 hours. If she had not complained loudly and bitterly, she might never have got the medication. The experience left her stunned and confused; “My left hand is caked in blood. I am wearing a gown and have masking tape in my hair, around my wrists, neck, ankles and knees… I realize I’m standing with my arms at my sides facing the wall, saying quietly over and over, ‘I’m alive. I’m alive.’” In the account of her ordeal published in April, she noted that during the hours in which she battled for AIDS medication, an additional 7,200 women and children were raped in South Africa. Smith, a free-lance journalist and author, is the most eloquent voice in a country in the throes of an epidemic. South Africa recorded 1,263 rapes in 1979. Today the official annual figure is nearly 50,000 but rape-crisis researchers say only 1 in 35 is reported. That means there are more than 1.6 million rapes a year the highest incidence in the world, according to Interpol (1998 the official South African rate was 104.1 rapes per 100,000 people; in the U.S. the rate was 34.4 per 100,000.) Worth, the cultural and legal attitudes toward rape are practically medieval. In Johannesburg, where the HIV-infection rate is reckoned to be 40% among men in the “rapist” age bracket (20 to 90), many believe raping a virgin will cure HIV, Earlier this month a prominent judge sentenced a 54-year-old man who had raped his 14-year-old daughter to just seven years in prison. Because the crime took place within the family, Judge John Foxcroft explained, little harm was done to the wider community. Furthermore, he said, by the time her father is released in seven years, the girl will have moved out. The decision incensed antirape activities and further energized a movement already fueled by outrage. “Nowhere since the final days of apartheid has there been greater activism in a national social issue,” says Smith, 42, who was an antiapartheid journalist of some repute. “Rape victims are speaking out because we are people, not statistics. We have nothing to be ashamed of. [South Africa is] a so-called moral society that does nothing, that should be filled with shame.” Indeed, in a country in which race remains hugely sensitive, the debate centers, surprisingly, not on race but on gender equality. An antirape TV ad by actress Charlize Theron, for example, was temporarily pulled because it offended men. One of Smith’s chief complaints about her case was the insensitivity of doctors and clinics. Now some hospitals and medical institutes are opening rape clinics and training staff in rape-crisis management, as well as drawing up protocols for the forensic examination and care of rape victims. Post-rape antiretroviral drugs are, however, still not available in government hospitals. (So far, Smith is HIV-negative, but she will continue tests for at least a year.) “Now old taboos are going, and people are coming forward with family support to report rape,” says Dr. Adrienne Wulfsohn, director of the Albertina Sisulu Rape Crisis Center near Johannesburg. But, she adds, “we need to fundamentally change the justice system” That may be happening. Since 1998, the Criminal Law Amendment Act began providing for more serve punishments for rape, including life sentences for gang rapists. Furthermore, FBI officials from the U.S. are training investigators and prosecutors who will be working in 20 courts devoted to trying sex crimes. These are scheduled to open in April 2000. Meanwhile, Smith refuses to give in to depression. The rapist, she says, “cannot imprison my mind.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数6

みんなの回答

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

南アでは「処女をレイプするとHIVが治る」と信じられ、家庭内のレイプの判決は軽く、法廷で性犯罪とくに輪姦の罪を重くするよう、米FBIによる調査が2000年に開かれる。

関連するQ&A

• 以下の英文を和訳しています。

以下の英文を和訳しています。 国連で働いていた緒方貞子氏のことを記述しています。 「not content~」から うまく訳せません。 お手伝い下さい。 But one woman Ogata Sadako,sent most of the 1990s as UNHCR. It was a difficult job,but she brought a patient and hard-working spirit to the post. Not content to sit behind a desk,she is known for her belief in seeing a situation firsthand.

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

The Emperor was impatient to see Fujitsubo's child and so too (though he was forced to conceal his interest in the matter) was Genji himself. Accordingly he went to her palace when there were not many people about and sent in a note, offering as the Emperor was in such a state of impatience to see the child and etiquette forbad him to do so for several weeks, to look at the child himself and report upon its appearance to the Emperor. She replied that she would rather he saw it on a day when it was less peevish; but in reality her refusal had nothing to do with the state of the child's temper; she could not bear the idea of his seeing it at all. Already it bore an astonishing resemblance to him; of that she was convinced. Always there lurked in her heart the torturing demon of fear. Soon others would see the child and instantly know with absolute certainty the secret of her swift transgression. What charity towards such a crime as this would a world have that gossips if a single hair is awry? Such thoughts continually tormented her and she again became weary of her life. 源氏物語の『The Festival Of Red Leaves』(紅葉賀)からの抜粋です。 藤壺が源氏との不義の子供を出産した直後の場面です。 現代語訳を参照して大意は掴んでいるのですが、上記の英文の中でわからない個所があります。 (最後の方です) What charity towards such a crime as this would a world have that gossips if a single hair is awry? この英文で What charity towards such a crime as this would a world haveを訳すと このような罪に対して世間はどんな慈愛を持つだろうか?になるでしょうか? その後の that gossips if a single hair is awryの部分がわかりません。 if a single hair is awryもし一本の髪の毛が捻じれているならば、と訳してみたのですが that gossipsの個所がわかりません。(thatが?です) 解説していただける方、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Among fish, the swordfish is the king of kings. The swordfish, leaping out of the water with its upper jaw like a spear, represents the ultimate in sport fishing. Technically, the swordfish is unrelated to the tuna, but its body resembles that of a tuna, and in Japan it is called a "swordfish tuna." Americans enjoy the light flavor of swordfish meat. In Japan, "true tuna" is more highly prized than swordfish. Toro, the oily meat taken from the belly of the tuna, is considered unbelievably expensive by Europeans and Americans. In Japan until the 1930s, the more lightly flavored red meat from the spine of the tuna was more expensive than toro. This "reversal of fortune" simply shows how tastes change, because no logical explanation for the fact is possible. In Japan, there are three ways to eat fish at its best: raw,grilled, and simmered. The freshest fish is eaten raw, fish that is slightly past its prime is grilled, and less fresh fish is simmered. Really fresh fish is best eaten raw, and the island nation of Japan can boast the freshest of fish. The Japanese language gave the world "sashimi" to the international community years ago. A survey was conducted to determine the popularity of tuna in New York, Paris, and Tokyo. The popularity was the same for Tokyoites and New Yorkers, but Parisians did not much care for tuna. It just did not have the same high quality associations as the white meat of sole. Wild red sea bream is considered a high-quality fish in Japan, but is not popular in Southeast Asia and southern China because its hard bones make it difficult to eat. If you want to know where to get your favorite fish cheap, you should know something about national characteristics. In terms of price, tuna is best in France, and red sea bream is best in Southeast Asia. A certain gourmet made himself sashimi in Kuwait. It was a fine fish, but the sashimi lacked flavor for him. He noticed that the meat had no fat in it, so he added some oil to the sashimi. As a result, it became tastier. Now, because the meat was too oily, he had to make a sauce using vinegar as the base in order to make the sashimi flavorful. In this way, with a little ingenuity, sashimi becomes tasty even if it's made in a foreign country. Nowadays, you can get sashimi practically anywhere in the world. However, not all of it is good. It was reported in local magazines that if you want really good sasimi in Johannesburg, South Africa, some restaurants will use their own special fishing boats in Cape Town to catch the fish of your choice. It was also reported that there is a small fishing village in the north of England that prepares sashimi just the way the Japanese like it. Can it be true?

• 英文について

長文で申し訳ないんですが、下の文をざっくりでいいので翻訳・解説してくれませんか? 自分で翻訳サイトなどに掛けてみても、意味がよく分からなくて、、、 I am a 59-year-old Japanese, born in 1941 (Showa 16). When I was a child, many of my teachers were very scary, probably because they had experienced the war. Unlike today, corporal punishment was allowed, so it was common to be slapped or punched. This was when I was in the sixth grade of elementary school (11-12 years old). One of my classmates was a girl whose family was poor, so she and her sister shared gym clothes for gym class. One day, however, her gym class coincided with her sister's class, and she didn't have any gym clothes because she had given them to my sister. I think it was an unavoidable reason, but the teacher did not allow the girl to not bring her gym clothes even though she had such a good reason. He ordered her to take off her plain everyday clothes , telling her that she was not allowed to take gym class in plain clothes. She took off her everyday clothes and attended the PE class in her underwear, that is, wearing only a pair of panties. Her classmates pointed and laughed at her shameful appearance in just her panties. Perhaps she was poorly nourished because of her poverty, her bare breasts weren't bulging at all. The girls made fun of her flat breasts, calling it "look like men". Also, a stupid boy took down her panties and tried to show everyone where her part which must be never seen(Fortunately, this ended in an attempt) She remembers feeling so embarrassed and humiliated that she almost started to cry. But she never gave in and gave her gym clothes to her sister on another day when the classes overlapped as well. It must have been an unbearable humiliation for a girl of her age to go to class almost naked and be seen by boys and girls of her age. She was a strong girl and was able to endure it, but an ordinary girl would not have been able to. I can only hope that there will never be another educator who gives this kind of education again.

• 以下の英文を和訳していただきたいです。

以下の英文を和訳していただきたいです。よろしくお願いします。 The most interesting is the story of Grecian mother who, with her infant, was on the roof, when in a moment of inattention, the child crept to the edge and was balanced on the very edge. To call it, to touch it would have insured its destruction; but the mother, without a second thought, bared her breast, and the child eagerly turning to it, was saved.

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

HMS Hampshire was one of six Devonshire-class armoured cruisers built for the Royal Navy in the first decade of the 20th century. She was assigned to the 1st Cruiser Squadron of the Channel Fleet upon completion. After a refit she was assigned to the reserve Third Fleet in 1909 before going to the Mediterranean Fleet in 1911. She was transferred to the China Station in 1912 and remained there until the start of World War I in August 1914. The ship hunted for German commerce raiders until she was transferred to the Grand Fleet at the end of 1914. She was assigned to the 7th Cruiser Squadron upon her return home. She was transferred to the 2nd Cruiser Squadron in 1916 and was present at the Battle of Jutland. Several days later she was sailing to Russia, carrying the Secretary of State for War, Field Marshal Lord Kitchener, when she is believed to have struck a mine laid by a German submarine. She sank with heavy loss of life, including Kitchener and his staff. Rumours later circulated of German spies and sabotage being involved in the sinking. Her wreck is listed under the Protection of Military Remains Act, though part was later illegally salvaged. Several films have been made exploring the circumstances of her loss.

• 以下の英文について教えてください

The mournful truth that a man — every man-must die alone, had been thrust sharply into my mind and kept there by the frequent violent attacks of my malady I suffered at that time, every one of which threatened to be the last. (中略) Then my mother died. Her perfect health failed her suddenly, and her decline was not long. But she suffered much, and on the last occasion of my being with her at her bedside she told me that she was very tired and had no fear of death, and would be glad to go but for the thought of leaving me in such a precarious state of health and with a mind distressed. Even then she put no questions to me, but only expressed the hope that her prayers for me would be answered and that at the last we should be together again. I cannot say, as I might say in the case of any other relation or friend, that I had lost her. (中略) It came to me as a great surprise a few years ago to have my secret and most cherished feelings about my own mother expressed to me as I had never heard them expressed before by a friend who, albeit still young, has made himself a name in the world, one who had never known a mother, she having died during his infancy. <最後のIt came to me~の英文について>: It came to me as a great surprise a few years ago~のasは「~として」ですか? as I had never heard them expressed ~のasは「~のように」ですか? (themはmy secret and most cherished feelings ?) my own mother expressed to me as I had never heard them expressed before by a friend のところの意味がよくわからないのですが、 expressedの取り方は、 my own mother expressed to me私自身の母親が私に表現した、 I had never heard them expressed私はそれらが表現されるのを決して聞いたことがない、 ですか? she having died during his infancyここは独立分詞構文で、「彼女は彼の幼年時代に亡くなってしまったので」? ----Far Away and Long Ago :W.H.Hudson

• 以下の英文を構造に忠実に和訳していただきたいです

以下の英文を構造に忠実に和訳していただきたいです。よろしくお願いします。 The most interesting is the story of Grecian mother who, with her infant, was on the roof, when in a moment of inattention, the child crept to the edge and was balanced on the very edge. To call it, to touch it would have insured its destruction; but the mother, without a second thought, bared her breast, and the child eagerly turning to it, was saved.

• 以下の英文の訳し方を教えてください

It may seem like your girlfriend is talking like a machine gun to you, but wait until she gets around her friends…it’s a blur of giggling lightning! For a lot of us, the only real part we participate in once they get going is listening to how silly or cute we sound if we try to say anything. **********: but wait until she gets around her friends…it’s a blur of giggling lightning! 1)she gets around her friendsがよくわかりません gets aroundでセットフレーズみたいですけど、 いくつか意味があり、どれもしっくりきません 2)it’s a blur of giggling lightning! くすくす笑いは稲妻のように霞む?? よく訳せませんでした the only real part we participate in once they get going is listening to how silly or cute we sound if we try to say anything. 3)participate in で参加する、ですよね? once ってこの場合どう訳すんでしょうか?副詞?接続詞? once they get going で1つの節でしょうか?でもどこにかかるのか、よくわかりません 4) is listening to の主語は? part is litening to だと思ったんですが、これもよく訳せない、”部分はto以下聞いている”という変な訳になりました 5) how silly or cute we sound これも how silly or cute it sounds ならわかるんですが、 同訳すのかわからないです 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文はどのように訳すでしょうか???

The close relationship of religion to cultivation was strongly developed by Freeman, Dove, and especially Jensen but was almost ignored by those who wrote of Christianized people. Only one of the studies details changes into the 1990s. Politicized sources, written in a period of confrontation between opponents and supporters of the forest farmers, include Hong and Colfer and Dudley. Brookfield, Potter, and Byron offered a somewhat biased summary. Titles listed here cover only a part of the literature. There are several other publications by the same authors and others. Figure6.1 shows the areas discussed. Common elements among the places and people compared Although the people described belong to different language groups and had been on their present land at the time of study from as few as 2 to more than 300 years, cultural similarities greatly exceed the differences. Padoch’s monograph was specifically comparative between her own three sites and Freeman’s, all four in the Iban language area. Most of the more recent reports have made extensive reference to earlier work have tended to enlarge the treatment of aspects that previous writers neglected. With caution, sources that are stronger than others on certain aspects can therefore be used to identify possible gaps in the latter. There are many elements in common:  Sarawak and adjacent parts of Kalimantan are close to the equator, and despite large differences in mean rainfall all areas have weak and unreliable dry seasons; drought does occur, but untimely rain is a more common problem.  Population densities varied within a range below 20/km2. Rousseau calculated the density of the Kayan on the Balui river at about 0.5/km2, comparing this with a figure of 3.5/km2 for the Baleh Iban, which he derived from freeman’s description of his research area. In a region where large areas remain unpopulated, Chin calculated 8.8/km2 for Kenyah on the upper Baram. Dove calculated 11.5/km2 for the Kantu’.