訳の添削とわからない個所について

このQ&Aのポイント
  • John Galsworthyの物語『THE CHOICE』の英文を訳しました。添削とわからない個所について教えてください。
  • 訳文で用いた表現についての添削や修正をお願いします。
  • 以下の3つの点に関して質問があります:1.「it seems」の訳出方法、2.「in the way of a pension」の意味、3.「one fancies」の意味。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

訳の添削とわからない個所について 2

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。(投稿した質問の1から続いています) He was, it seems, alone in the world, not having of course at that time anything to look forward to in the way of a pension, nor, one fancies, very much to look back on except the death of his near relatives and the decline of the plumbing trade. 彼は、もちろんその時年金の点で心待ちにする何かや、想像するに、彼の近縁の死と配管業の傾きを除いてふり返る非常に多くのものも持たないで、世間で孤独でした。 (1) it seemsをどのように訳出するのかがわかりませんでした。 (2) in the way of a pensionは年金の点で、ですか? (3) one fanciesのoneは人で、fancyは想像する、ですか?想像するに? よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> He was, it seems, alone in the world, not having of course at that time anything to look forward to in the way of a pension, nor, one fancies, very much to look back on except the death of his near relatives and the decline of the plumbing trade. > 彼は、もちろんその時年金の点で心待ちにする何かや、想像するに、彼の近縁の死と配管業の傾きを除いてふり返る非常に多くのものも持たないで、世間で孤独でした。  * in the way of a pension の in the way of ... は = like something なので、「年金(or 恩給) のようなものを期待してはいなかった」 といったようなことではないでしょうか。  * it seems は、ここで述べていることが語り手の考え、想像によるものであることを表しているのだと思います。「~であったろう」 のような感じで。one fancies も似たようなものと思います。「おそらく~だろう」 ということで、語り手の想像であるということを表しているのだと思われます。  → 彼には身寄りがいなかったのではないだろうか。その当時には、年金で暮らすことを心待ちにしてなどいなかっただろうし、これも想像であるが、身近な親類の死のことや配管の仕事が減ってきたということを除けば、あまり過去を顧みることもなかったのではあるまいか。  * alone in the world の解釈については、この部分だけで判断するのは早計かもしれないですが、もしかしたらそのつもりで書かれているのではないだろうか、という私の 想像 によるものです。

参考URL:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+the+way+of
k_wreath
質問者

お礼

こちらにも大変丁寧に回答を頂いてありがとうございます。 in the way ofのリンク先もありがとうございました。 訳し方がよくわからなかったのですが、ご解説と訳して頂いてよく理解できました。 また先を読んでいこうと思います。

関連するQ&A

• 訳の添削とわからない個所について 1

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。 It had declined him for years, but, even before a long illness ousted him in favour of younger men, he had felt very severely the palpable difference in things. それは年来彼を傾けました。しかし長い病気のせいで、彼がより若い男性(後輩)に(仕事を?)追い出される前にすら、彼は物ごとの明白な違いを大変ひどく感じていました。 冒頭のItが何を指しているのかわかりません。 内容からa long illness のような気がするのですが、 It had declined him for years, but, even before a long illness ousted him と Itの後にa long illnessが出てくるので、わからない感じです。 前述の英文は But he was a great sufferer from a variety of ailments. He had gout, and some trouble in his side, and feet that were like barometers in their susceptibility to weather. Of all these matters he would speak to us in a very impersonal and uncomplaining way, diagnosing himself, as it were, for the benefit of his listeners. He was, it seems, alone in the world, not having of course at that time anything to look forward to in the way of a pension, nor, one fancies, very much to look back on except the death of his near relatives and the decline of the plumbing trade. となっています。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳の添削とわからない個所について 1

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。 *He was a Cornishman by birth, had been a plumber by trade, and was a cheerful, independent old fellow with ruddy cheeks, grey hair and beard, and little, bright, rather watery, grey eyes. 彼は生まれはコーンウォール人でした。彼の商売は配管工で、朗らかで、血色の好い頬、白髪とあごひげ、少し明るい、むしろ薄い灰色の目を持った自尊心の強い老翁でした。 *But he was a great sufferer from a variety of ailments. He had gout, and some trouble in his side, and feet that were like barometers in their susceptibility to weather. しかし彼は非常にいろいろな病気で苦しむ人でした。彼は痛風と若干の悩みと天気に感じやすいバロメーターのような足を持っていました。 (1)  some trouble in his sideのin his sideの個所の訳し方がよくわかりませんでした。 *Of all these matters he would speak to us in a very impersonal and uncomplaining way, diagnosing himself, as it were, for the benefit of his listeners. 彼は自分自身を診断して、まるで傾聴者のために、とても客観的で不満を言わない流儀で私たちにそれらの事柄について話したものでした。 (2) Of all these matters he would speak to us   ここは  he would speak of all these matters to usですか? よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳の添削のお願いとわからない個所を教えて下さい 2

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。(投稿した質問の1から続いています) In the intervals of plying his broom he could generally be seen seated on an upturned wooden box, talking to an Irish terrier, who belonged to a house near by, and had taken a fancy to him. 彼はせっせとブラシを使う合間に、通常、ひっくり返った木箱の上に座って、アイリッシュテリアに話しているところを見られていました。その犬は近くにある家に飼われていて、彼を気に入っていました。 (1)  generally は"通常"という意味でよいでしょうか?        "一般に、多くの人に"、という意味もあったので迷いました。 (2) he could generally be seen seated on an upturned wooden box   seatedが過去分詞になっているのですが、ここはseen (to be) seatedですか? (3)  had taken a fancy to him    ここは過去完了形になっているのですが、    この話の状況下よりも以前のことを示しているのでしょうか?        今のこの話の状況下としては好きになってしまっている、という意味合いですか? よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳の添削とわからない個所について 2

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。(投稿した質問の1から続いています) In old days plumbing had been a quiet, steady business, in which you were apparently "on your own, and knew where you were"; but latterly "you had just had to do what the builders told you, and of course they weren't going to make allowances; if you couldn't do the job as fast as a young man--out you went, and there you were." 昔、配管工事は落ち着いて安定した仕事でした。その仕事では見たところでは自力でやり、自分の居場所がわかっているようでした。しかし最近はこうでした。「あなたは建築業者があなたに告げたことをする必要がまさにあり、もちろん彼らは手加減しそうもなかったのです。もしあなたが若い人と同じぐらい早く仕事ができないのなら、あなたは追い出され、そこにあなたはいることになるでしょう。」 (1) you were apparently "on your own, and knew where you were"   you were on your own, は自力でやる、   you knew where you wereは自分の居場所がわかっている、ですか? (2)  but latterly のlatterlyが英文の中で浮いた感じがあるのですが、"最近はこうでした"のように    訳してよいのでしょうか? よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳の添削のお願いとわからない個所を教えて下さい 1

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。 Some years ago in Chelsea there used to stand at the crossing of a street leading to the Embankment an old man whose living was derived from the cleanliness of boots. 数年前チェルシーで、ブーツを磨くことで生計を立てていた一人の老人がテムズ川岸通りに導く道の交差点に立っているのが常でした。 (1) thereは"チェルシー、そこで"、と訳すのでしょうか?   訳し方がわからなかったので訳に入れませんでした。 (2)  the crossing は交差点ですか? (3) an old man whose living was derived from the cleanliness of boots.   the cleanliness は、"きれい好き、潔癖、清潔"という意味だと思いますが、   ここは靴磨きの意味な のでしょうか?   彼の生活はthe cleanliness of bootsから出ている(derive from)で   生計を立てているという意味にとったのですが。合っているでしょうか? よろしくお願い致します。 

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. ****************************** (前回質問させていただいたところで三章は終わりました。) 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 最後の Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night.の意味が上手く掴めません。 一旦、私が古びた寝室にいるならば、夜に谷を見あげながらそこで窓を開け、敷居に座ることはこの世の中で最もあきらかなことに思われる? これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. (前回の終わりの部分です) I look again at her luggage. Bags and suitcases. There is still something about them that draws my attention, but now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify. I stare at them, and can feel myself frowning. Something is – I don’t know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something— I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better. In the next room Anna is naked, and that is what’s bothering me. Because I shouldn’t be thinking of her like that. Because she’s Anna. The suitcases – the suitcases are square and prosaic and dull and incredibly unerotic. That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense. I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。(この場面は回想シーンのように思われます) Something is – I don't know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something—この英文はスーツケースに対してどういうことを思っているということが書かれているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify.のところから気持ちが続いている感じはするのですが。 I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better.のthis one works better.とはどういう意味ですか?壁にふり返って悲しげに笑ってみる、ということがよりよく働く? That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense.のところが難しいのですが、theyはThe suitcasesのことだと思うのですが、the corners of my mindとは頭の角?という意味ですか?cornersのところがよくわかりません。In a way, it all makes perfect sense.ある意味ではそれは完全に意味をなします?の言っている意味はどういうことでしょうか? Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead.の中で主語はないのでしょうか?動詞はpiledですか? casuallyは「何気なく」?  Jamie would have saidについて、Jamie have saidとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 添削をお願いします。

It seems that contemplating and woking on the cause of lose in the election will lead to the next win (victory). Furthermore, in today, a very small number of wealthy people are in the wealth of the United States. 日本語文= (アメリカの大統領選挙の話です) 「これらのように、負けた原因も熟考し取り組んで行くことで、次の勝利へとつながると思う。また今日ではごく少数の最裕福層が米国の富を握っている。」 >I thinkという表現はあまりよくない、と聞いたのでIt seemsにしました。 こちらの英文の添削をして欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の訳がとれない個所を教えてください。

It is important to discuss what kind of archive art history can draw upon, as the range of material used to construct these histories extends well beyond the works themselves. For instance, history has its documents, written records of the past; archaeology focuses on the material record, physical remains of the past; whilst anthropology looks to social rituals and cultural practices as a way of understanding past and present peoples. Art history can draw upon all these archives in addition to the primary archive of the artwork. In this way, art history is the stepping stone into various ways of interpreting and understanding the past. この英文の最初の部分の訳がよくわかりません。 It is important to discuss what kind of archive art history can draw upon, as the range of material used to construct these histories extends well beyond the works themselves. どんな種類のアーカイブ(記録保管所、公文書、古記録?)に、芸術史は頼る?(draw upon)ことができるかを議論することは重要です。 これらの歴史を構成するために使われる材料の範囲が、作品(研究?)それ自体を越えてよく広がっているように(として?) as以下はどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? また、used toはここでは過去の習慣や状態を表したものではないのでしょうか? (この英文の前(前節)にある最後の部分です) I aim to set out how histories of art have been constructed, to describe the ways in which we have been encouraged to think about art as a result, and also to introduce other ways of thinking about the visual in terms of its history. よろしくお願い致します。 『ART HISTORY--Evidence and analysis in art history』:Dana Arnold

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。