The Wrong Number? Understanding the Use of 'A' and 'The' in English

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the reasons behind using 'a' and 'the' in different contexts. Examples like 'It seems to be the wrong number' and 'It appears to be an error in judgment' will be explored.
  • Discover why 'the' is used in sentences like 'It looks like I gave you the wrong impression about myself' and 'There is a contradiction in your logic'.
  • Find out why 'a' is used instead of 'the' in sentences such as 'It's important to take the time to analyze situations' and 'We would like to remind you that a conference call will start at 3:00 p.m.'.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

<the> wrong number

英語学習は大学受験以来の者です。 ただ今ビジネス英語を勉強中です。 下記についてご教示ください。 ●下記の例文(1)(2)(3)(4)内の冠詞は、どのような理由から、それぞれに aと the なのでしょうか? (1)It seems to be <the> wrong number. (2)It appears to be <an> error in judgment. (3)It looks like I gave you <the> wrong impression about myself. (4)There is <a> contradiction in your logic. ●下記の例文ですが、the ではなくaではないのでしょうか? (5)It's important to take <the> time to analyze situations.  辞書を引いても、take the timeという表現は載っておらず、他には、take <the> sun、 take <a> restがありました。決まった表現として覚えるしかないのでしょうか? ●下記の例文ですが、aではなくtheではないのでしょうか? (6)We would like to remind you that <a> conference call will start at 3:00 p.m. (7)Please be advised that wa sent <a> receipt today for your payment. 上記1~7すべてについてですが、自分が英作をするときに、aとthe、どちらを使うべきか、まだ掴めないでおります。 アドバイスお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

> 1) It seems to be <the> wrong number.  「おかけになられた番号は間違っています」 という場合 You've got the wrong number. という言い方があるそうです。  お示しの英文の場合はどういうシチュエーションなのかが分かりませんが (部屋の番号とかでしょうか)、とにかくある番号が違うということを指摘しています。  「間違ってますよ」 と指摘するからには、その人には 「正しい番号」 が分かっているはずです。ある番号が頭に浮かんでいて、それは the right number ([私の頭の中に浮かんでいる、その] 正しい番号) なので、それと対置される 「正しくない番号」 というのも the wrong number となるのは自然に思えます。  たとえば相手が持っている紙片に数字が書いてあるところを想像すると、「ある番号」 ではなくて、「(そこに書かれている、その) 番号」 ということで、特定の番号を指していることになりますから the という定冠詞が用いられたのでしょう。 > 2) It appears to be <an> error in judgment.  the error in judgment という表現になる場合も考えられます。既に an error in judgment について言及されているのであれば、「その・・・」 という形で the が使われるでしょう。1つの文だけでは、判断できません。文脈の中に置いて見る必要があります。 > 3) It looks like I gave you <the> wrong impression about myself.  この場合も 2) と同じように、文脈によります。an impression という表現もあります。  と言いたいところですが、この文の場合は、the impression がふさわしいと思います。  相手にある印象を与えたのは過去のことなので、その過去の時点で相手に与えた印象だから、特定の印象ということになり、その時の印象に言及しているので the impression でしょう。 > 4) There is <a> contradiction in your logic.  文脈によるというのは、この文でもそうです (現在形の文ですから)。  「君の論理には矛盾がある」 という文ですが、話し手が気づいた 「論理の矛盾」 は1つだけだったので a contradiction と表現されています。2つ以上あったことを指摘するのだったら無冠詞で contradictions と言ったかもしれません。  「こういうふうな論理上の矛盾が生じることがあるんだけど、君の今の話を聞いていると、そういう類の矛盾が感じられる」 などということを述べる場合だったら後の方の 「矛盾」 という語には the contradiction in your logic と表現されるかもしれません。既に述べた了解事項を持ち出しているからです。 > 5) It's important to take <the> time to analyze situations.  take the time to do (・・・するのに十分な時間をとる) という表現があります。  説明は私にはむつかしいですが、「ある一定の長さの必要なだけの時間」 という、区切られた時間の量を意識しているので、そういう表現になっているのではないでしょうか。 > 6) We would like to remind you that <a> conference call will start at 3:00 p.m.  同じことを繰り返して申し訳ありませんが、文脈にもよると思います。おそらく質問者さまの考えられたのは、午後3時に会議が始まるのは予告されているのだから the conference call にならないのは間違いだ、ということではないでしょうか。  確かに the conference call であってもおかしくないように見えます。おそらくここでは、注意喚起のために 「会議が始まるのは午後3時だからな」 と念を押しているだけで、まだ開かれてもいない会議のことを 「その会議」 と限定する必要を感じなかったのではないでしょうか。話し手の意識の問題もあると思います。 > 7) Please be advised that we sent <a> receipt today for your payment.  この文も質問者さまのお気持ちとしては、「特定のレシート」 なのだから the receipt だろう、ということでしょう。  しかしこの場合も、今その レシート のことを話題に出したばかりだというのでもない限りは a receipt だと思います。for your payment というのが付いているので特別なもののような印象を受けますが、receipt というのは一定の形式に則った書式の紙片であり、それ自体は一般的なものです。他のお客さまに送るのと同じ種類の receipt の中の1枚がそちらに届きますよという感じ。 * 十分にこなれていない回答ではありますので (だから読みにくいと思います)、批判的に読んでいただければと思います。

lovekeita
質問者

お礼

お礼が遅くなってすみません。 ご回答ありがとうございました。 質問文が言葉足らずで失礼しました。 冠詞がない(?)日本語を母国語とする者にとって疑問に感じるところをひとつひとつ解説くださり、とても勉強になりました。 (1)(3)についてはまだ呑み込めないでおりますが、(4)(5)(6)(7)につきましては、理解できました。 ((2)のjudgmentにはtheが付いてないですが、それはどのような理由によるのか、まだ検討がつきません。) もっと勉強をしたいと思います。 ありがとうございました。

lovekeita
質問者

補足

とりそいそぎ補足から失礼します。 書きそびれましたが、質問文の文例はすべて、ダイアローグから抜粋したものではなく、それ単独のものです。

その他の回答 (2)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.3

(1)It seems to be <the> wrong number. 間違い電話に対する返答ですね。私も何となく違和感を感じますが常に定冠詞なんですね。「あなたのかけた番号は」というい意味なんでしょか。 (2)It appears to be <an> error in judgment. これは問題ないでしょう。 (3)It looks like I gave you <the> wrong impression about myself. この場合のimpressionは不可算です。既に話題にのぼっている「印象」と思われ、定冠詞がつきます。そうでなければ無冠詞でしょう。 (4)There is <a> contradiction in your logic. 「ある矛盾が存在する」という意味でcontradictionが可算名詞になっています。それが複数あることを強調するならThere are ...ですが、そうでなければ例文でよいです。 (5)「time」が文脈から特定されていない場合無冠詞になると思います。 (6)(7)はどちらも可能ですが、「the」だと特定されている必要があります。例文だけだと特定されているかどうかは解りません。

lovekeita
質問者

お礼

お礼が遅くなってすみません。 ご回答ありがとうございました。 質問文が言葉足らずで失礼しました。 (1) <the> wrong number. (3) <the> wrong impression ですが、間違ったもの=存在しないもの、であり、存在しないものにtheを付けるのか?という感覚が私の中にあったようです。 そのような感覚は全く間違いだと、今回投稿をして気づきました。 >(4)「ある矛盾が存在する」という意味でcontradictionが可算名詞になっています。 不可算名詞として扱ったり、可算名詞として扱ったり、そのような感覚は日本語にはないので、つかみづらいですね。 (では、「ある印象」としてimpressionを可算名詞として扱うこともあるということでしょうか) >(5)「time」が文脈から特定されていない場合無冠詞になると思います。 こちらについても、とても勉強になりました。 ありがとうございました。

lovekeita
質問者

補足

とりそいそぎ補足から失礼します。 書きそびれましたが、質問文の文例はすべて、ダイアローグから抜粋したものではなく、それ単独のものです。

• Riza-u
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/1)
回答No.1

こんにちは。 あくまで私の分かる範囲内で回答致します。 a と theですが、基本的に(一部例外もあり) a・・・数えられるもの、いくつもあるもの the・・・数えられないもの、一つしかないもの という区別があります。 (1)~(5)はほとんどこれで解決するかと思います。 (7)のa receipt(領収書)は世の中にたくさんある内の一枚なので、aになるわけです。 theにした場合、ただの領収書ではない何か特別な領収書、といったニュアンスになるかと。 「あの」領収書、という感じでしょうか。 同様に(6)のconference call(電話会議)も、theを使うと毎回午後3時に行っている定例の電話会議、と いった意味合いになります。

lovekeita
質問者

お礼

お礼が遅くなってすみません。 ご回答ありがとうございました。 ご回答を読んで、自分が基礎的なことを知らない(忘れている)ことを痛感しました。 教えていただいたおかげで、頭の中で整理ができました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文法チェックおねがいします

1, it is not until your mother pass away that you appreciate your mother. 2, it will take three months to recover from such a terrible disaster. 3, it won’t be too long that you regret to have done such a stupid manner in public. 1, it is hilarious that you could not pass the exam although you had kept studying all night yesterday. 2, it was thoughtless of you to think you want to be a professional baseball player in your future, because possibility of that is extremely low. 3, it is widely known that Ichiro is not well known in the USA, even though everybody knows him in Japan 1, Do not take it for granted that your parents support you forever; you need to live by yourselves soon. 2, Keep it a secret that your proposal was declined 3, I found it fun and easy to make people believe about my incredible story. 1, He pretends to be like a professional computer user, but he doesn't even know how to open a PC. 2, Nobody know how to happen the global warming in the world, it is time to tell everybody to teach how awful it is.

• Let your occupation be what it may

譲歩をあらわす副詞節という項目に、下記の例文が出ています。 Let your occupation be what it may,you must devote yourself to it if you wish to succeed(あなたの職業がたとえどんなものであっても云々). 別の例文では、 One's home is one's capital; be a place what it may, one gets to like it, if one lives long in it(わが家は都である。たとえどんな所であっても云々). 質問ですが、Let your occupation beを Be your occupation としたら間違いなのか?あるいは多少意味が変わるのか? またbe a placeを Let a place be にしたら間違いなのか? あるいは意味が変わるのか? 宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いしたいです

以下の英文を和訳していただける方に。 ご回答をお願いできますでしょうか? ミスなどのご指摘等、いただけるととてもありがたいです。 何卒よろしくお願いいたします。 When this relationship begins it will be erratic. you will feel when you have met him that there is not enough time for it to really begin. That he has come and gone, and how can it continue? The circumstance in your life at the time will seem too brief. There is often the feeling with Uranus that you meet the right man at the wrong time, or in the wrong circumstance. It can feel like a brief encounter, too hurried, too beautifull, too difficult to establish, yet when it takes root it will alter the balance and timing of things in your life and throw everything you had planned before that into disarray. You will live for the future, for the next time you see him, or communicate with him, but at first contact can be irregular, unstable. the circumstance of both your lives will seem mistimed and hurried and changing, but with Uranus in Virgo you will find practical solutions and will be able to build a solid relationship.,

• be in the wrong「間違っている」

be in the wrong で「間違っている」という意味ですけど、You are in the wrong. と言うのと、普通に You are wrong. と言うのは、意味がどう違うのですか?

• 歌詞の和訳をお願いします

Friendsの「Listen to your heartbeat」という曲中にある歌詞について質問します。 I do believe in the two of us That you and me – we are the only ones この意味がわかるようでわかりません。 この2行の和訳をお願いします。 できましたら、 なぜ、そのように訳されたのか、その理由を教えていただけるありがたいです。 参考までに 曲名:Listen to your heartbeat I wanna know what you feel inside Is something wrong? Why did you leave last night? Is it all just a game? – Oh... tell me why we can't be lovers I do believe in the two of us That you and me – we are the only ones And we were meant to be true, so tell me why we can't be lovers How could I be such a fool I thought I already knew it all, but I know I was totally wrong Listen to your heartbeat – it will take you higher Follow your emotions – I know you'll get stronger Listen to your heartbeat – the feeling will guide you Hold on to devotion – I know it's inside you How will I know if you're fooling me? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be Like it's all just a game, and I just want us to be lovers We had it all in our hands Just like those all happy ends I still don't know why, but we lost it somehow Listen to your heartbeat – it will take you higher Follow your emotions – I know you'll get stronger Listen to your heartbeat – the feeling will guide you Hold on to devotion – I know it's inside you One more chance to make a try Nothing left to do for you and I Listen to your heartbeat – it will take you higher Follow your emotions – I know you'll get stronger Listen to your heartbeat – the feeling will guide you Hold on to devotion – I know it's inside you Listen to your heartbeat

• what's wrong with you 教えて

what's wrong with you? は 調べた限り “どうかしたの?”とか“何か問題でも?” みたいな意味ですよね? アメリカの友人からのメールの文の途中に what's wrong with you. と書いてあって 私は何か彼女の気に触ることを言ってしまったかな?と心配しています。 “あなたに関係ないでしょ”的なこと? メールは以下です。 I don't go to the hospital because our hospitals don't like to treat what's wrong with you. I had a problem with my wrist not long ago and they just sent me home. They wouldn't even take xrays of it. I will be okay though. I just have to be careful of what I eat. このメールの前のやりとりですが “感謝祭だけど、胃が痛くてあまり食べられない。病院には来月18日に行く” というような事が書いてあったので 私は “Why don't you go to hospital early? ” ( どうしてもっと早く病院に行けないの?のつもりで書きました) と返事をしたら上記のようなメールが帰ってきました。 できればメールの英訳も一緒にお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします!!

多くて申し訳ないんですが、次の英文を日本語に訳してください!! ・It sucks you had to waste your time off at cram school. ・Its long like that so when your new to it, it makes it easier to stand and turn. But remember long borad were the first borad ever made. ・ You are just a easy going girl that likes to take her time lol. ・Plus duct tape does wonders when you tape someone to a wall with it. It always holds lol ・You must listen to one song from a band called Offspring off youtube or something and tell me what it was and why you liked it meow lol. あと、What color would you like your hair to be?は 髪何色にしたい?という訳でいいんですかね?? 多くてすみません!!よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語に訳してください

いつもこちらの回答に頼りっぱなしで申し訳ありません。 どなたか翻訳をお願いします。 His Mars trines your Uranus. This means your relationship with this man will always be always unique and exciting because you encourage each other to be yourselves, to be innovative and inventive, and to live to your fullest potential. You encourage each others strengths and talents in life and the ability to t take a risk in these things and in so doing to change your life a little in a positive way that can be built on. He will give you the courage or inspiration to reach out for what you want. To take your ambitions, your talents, your true desires and to go for it. To take the chance or opportunities and to carve a path out for yourself.. He inspires you to become positive, exciting. His Saturn conjuncts your Pluto. Underneath he feels a little threatened by you. You can also feel that he is often too distant. But this is a good aspect. It means if you have to, you can survive great hardship as a couple. Saturn often has to with endings, it can wreck devastation in life where the past is gone, and the future seems bleak. This can mean personal devastation, such as going through deaths or great material loss. Or it can be things like national disasters. Events that effect not only you but others around you. But Pluto is new beginnings and gives the ability and strength to rise together from the ashes of the past, when these two planets are combined in synastry it gives the couple great fortitude, and the ability to rebuild life anew. Saturn and Pluto mean that an unforeseen fate will have a hand in this relationship, or in the sudden way it eventually end. For all relationships however long they last have an ending. That fate or circumstance you have no control over will suddenly intervene in your lives.

• 和訳希望

和訳していただけるかた のみでお願いできますでしょうか? どうぞよろしくお願いいたします The ruling planet of your seventh house is Mars. Mars is a planet of ambition. This man will inspire your ambitions. He will seem to be all you have waited for. Handsome, courageous, bold and brave, full of power and passion. He will seem like a hurricane that sweeps you off your feet and turns your life and feelings upside down. Love for you is quick hasty decisions and feelings that grow rapidly and spread through your life like a fire in the You will feel that you are tired of waiting for money, or for a better way to sustain yourself in your life. This man will seem rich and passionate, a lot of glamour and greed, a view to the top, comes with this love affair and you'll see your ambitions being to take shape with it. This will be mutual, and it while it will seem like an impulsive hastily attachment to others.

• この英文を和訳してください。

アメリカの友人からメールが届きました。 すみませんが、和訳をお願いします。 ah my friend. a time that is bitter / sweet. bitter for your country / sweet for you to be passing from one time in your life to another. I pray that your time of celebration goes well and that you are able to enjoy yourself. I chear you on for your desire to help in relief work by volunteering. I will pray for your safety and that you might be a big help and comfort to many of the people. Please keep me up to date on your activities.