• 締切済み

Province of chance

今日のCNN international版にウクライナのマレーシア航空機撃墜に関連してVladimir Putin's big blunderと題した記事の中に War is the province of chance.という言葉が出できます。200~300年前のプロセインの軍人の言葉らしいのですが、provinceもchanceもいろいろ意味がありこの文の意味がなかなか頭に入りません。どなたか説明していただけませんでしょうか。下はその文が出てくる箇所です。 ……… It remains possible that the investigation will fail to reach any strong conclusions, leaving Putin some wiggle room. But at this point interpretations completely exonerating Russia are few and far between. "War," wrote Clausewitz, "is the province of chance." The danger that a covert military operation could get out of hand should have been clear all along. For 14 years, Putin proceeded cautiously in international affairs, weighing expected costs and benefits before taking action. His decision to invade Crimea was so uncharacteristically risky -- with such large potential costs and short-lived benefits -- that it took many observers by surprise. ………

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

• litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.2

> War is the province of chance. 「戦争というものは神のみぞ知る、人智の及ばない、運命的な出来事の領域である。人間が画策してやってもうまくいくものではない。」 *Carl von Clausewitz は戦争についてまた、次のようにも書いているので参考までに挙げておきます。 「War is the province of physical exertion and suffering. (戦争というものは肉体を行使したり痛みを味わうという出来事の領域である。)」 「War is the province of uncertainty:(戦争というものは何も確実なものはないということを経験する領域である。)」 以上、参考になれば幸いです。

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

province of chance = 偶然の領域 でしょうか。

levanilaitame
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。言い換えれば、 Province of change ~~ province where chance governs ということでしょうか? 

関連するQ&A

• what chance had I with

"What was it?" I asked. "I fell to dreaming about the bog," he said, "and to wondering where it went, and to looking at the sun on it a long way off where it goes silver and golden; and, begob, what chance had I with that upbringing ; and, God help me, I turned my thoughts to Tir-nan-Og." アイルランドの作家の文章です。 what chance had I with that upbringing ; は「私はたまたまそういう気質であった 」というように解釈してよろしいでしょうか? アドバイスよろしくお願いします。

• はじめて見た使い方(文法)

A few days ago, I came across a ring-sized box my boyfriend was obviously planning to give me. It had the name of a company on it, and I immediately Googled it out of curiosity. I was taken aback when I found that this company sells cubic zirconia rings that cost about $20. So I did something that I now regret — I peeked inside the box. It was an engagement ring and wedding ring set that I saw on the website costs $20.99. an engagement ring and wedding ring set that I saw on the website costs $20.99.のsawとcostsは両方前の名詞にかかっているのでしょうか?このような言い方はできるのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 何度もすみません。。。

意味は何となくわかっても、自然な英語に訳すことができません。ずっとにらめっこしていてもらちがあかないので、日本語訳お願いいたします。少し長いです。 For, with states too, their capacity derives directly from international law, and with states too, it is not unusual that the capacity is, in turn, hemmed in by the 'internal' concerns. The clearest example thereof is perhaps that enshrined in the japanese constitution (the renunciation of war and the threat or use of force), which also makes the participation of Japan in international military operations extremely controversial.

• thatについて

お世話になっております。 以下についてお教え頂けないでしょうか。 We encourage parents to bring their children to the library and experience the benefits that it offers the community. (1)このthatは同格のthatであっていますでしょうか? (2)この文のitはいったい何をさすのでしょうか? the benefits that it offers the community.がわからいです。 (3)experienceは動詞でencourage parents to experienceであっていますでしょうか? ご指導のほど何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます。

• of which 英語

ここでの関係代名詞of whichの文法的な詳細が分かりません。分かる方居ましたら御指導お願い致します。 It kills that loving participation in the life of things and creatures of which the soul,with its emotions and intuitions,is capable. よろしくお願い致します。

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

Imagine at the height of the cold war they developed a technology that enabled your spies to get information on your enemies without leaving their computers- could ruin or influence from thousands of miles away. Of course they are using this shit! Putin recognized how easy it is to weaponize social media. And did it first. It's going to take years to unravel this.

• 英文翻訳をお願いいたします。

The Battle of Asiago (Battle of the Plateaux) or the Trentino Offensive (in Italian: Battaglia degli Altipiani), nicknamed Strafexpedition ("Punitive expedition") by the Austrians, was a counteroffensive launched by the Austro-Hungarians on the Italian Front on May 15, 1916, during World War I. It was an unexpected attack that took place near Asiago in the province of Vicenza (now in northeast Italy, then on the Italian side of the border between the Kingdom of Italy and Austria-Hungary) after the Fifth Battle of the Isonzo (March 1916). Commemorating this battle and the soldiers killed in World War I is the Asiago War Memorial.

• このofは主格のofでしょうか。

サンフランシスコ条約の Japan accepts the judgments of the International Military Tribunal for the Far East and of other Allied War Crimes Courts both within and outside Japan,and will carry out the sentences imposed thereby upon Japanese nationals imprisoned in Japan. と言う文ですが、この解釈について故中村粲氏は、 「この場合の『ジャッジメンツ』が決して『裁判』の意にならないとすべき決定的なポイントはそれに続く前置詞が of になっていることだ。百歩譲ってこの場合の『ジャッジメンツ』が『裁判』の意で使われたとするならば、それに続く前置詞は in かat(…における)或いは精々  by(…による)でなければならず、決してof がくることはない。(参考:http://www.kbmgroup.co.jp/gonngodoudann/gonngodoudannH17-10.htm)」 と述べていたのですが、長い間私には意味が分かりませんでした。 しかし、もしかしたらこれは名詞構文でjudgmentsはjudgeが名詞化してできたものなので、ofは主格のofとしてjudgeを動詞として一文をイメージして解釈するのではないかと思いました。(参考:http://ameblo.jp/toyokunbenkyou/entry-10372631449.html) (参考ページからの抜粋: the judgement [of the committee] →the committee(S) judge(d) [委員会が]判断したこと) この解釈であっておりますでしょうか? 最後に、本質問では法解釈は聞く気はありませんので、法解釈は回答に書かないでください。

• ofについて

下記の英文中段にあるThe whole conviction of my lifeで使われているofについてお教えください。 From my fifteenth year - save for a single interval - I have lived about as solitary a life as a modern man can have. I mean by this that the number of hours, days, months, and years that I have spent alone has been immense and extraordinary. I propose, therefore, to describe the experience of human loneliness exactly as I have known it. The whole conviction of my life now rests upon the belief that loneliness, far from being a rare and curious phenomenon, peculiar to myself and to a few other solitary men, is the central and inevitable fact of human existence. 現代人は孤独だがその度合いには人によって差があるというのが筆者の主張です。 【質問】 文章中段にありますThe whole conviction of my life~のofがよくわかりません。conviction of man's diversity「さまざまな人間が存在することについての確信」のように、「~について」という意味かと思ったのですが、うまく解釈できません。 お手数かけますが、ご教授いただけましたら幸いです。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• 訳してください。

It is only one of a large body of rules which form the regimes that regulates international action. It has major training implication and it is not an issue which can be constantly renegotiated.