• ベストアンサー

次の英文のorの部分の訳が「AとBの両方が無かった

」となったらorではなくてandになりそうだから、その訳は「AかBの少なくとも一方がなかった」というニュアンスになるんでしょうか? When we arrived at the birthday party,there was nothing left to eat or drink.. です。 辞書で調べても、ピッタリ合いそうな意味が無かったです。

noname#176369
noname#176369
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • frogkero
  • ベストアンサー率30% (66/217)
回答No.1

どちらもなかったということです。 否定形の構文のなかでは and は or に変化します。 この文は wasn'tを使っていなくても、nothingをつかっていますから、否定文なんです。

参考URL:
http://www.alc.co.jp/eng/kaiwa/shitsumon/110610.html
noname#176369
質問者

お礼

nothingが入っている文は否定文になるんですね。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

not both は「両方ともない」でなく,「両方ではない」 not either (A or B) で「いずれもない→両方ない」 こういう either は「いずれも」です。 日本語では「両方ない」というから日本人は混乱する。 either がなくても,否定 (A or B) は「A も B もない」です。 both がなくても,否定 (A and B) は「ともに,とは限らない」 数学で,「A または B」の否定は「A でも B でもない」になるのと同じく 論理的なことです。 とにかく,nothing left to eat or drink で 「食べるものも,飲むものもない」 I don't have any brothers or sisters. 兄弟も姉妹もいない。 日本語的に「ない」かつ「ない」で and としない。 There was nothing to eat, and nothing to drink のように,切って nothing を繰り返せば and でいいと思います。

noname#176369
質問者

お礼

混乱してましたが、否定文だということを知ってスッキリしました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• neither~orの訳

neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth.  この英文の訳は、「両親のどちらもそこで生まれなかったか、あなたの生まれたときに(両親のどちらも)そこに住んでいなかった」であっていますか?教えてください。お願いします。

• 英文翻訳があります。翻訳は正しいですか?

Arrival time differs even more markedly for parties. When I was visiting my sister June and her Amer ican husband Bob in Seattle, we were invited to a barbecue party at 5:00 p.m. We left their house around 5:00 and arrived at the party 25 minutes or so after the hour. No one seemed surprised that we arrived at that hour, and a few people arrived even after we did. In the meantime everyone was enjoying drinkes and conversation on the new hand-made wooden deck, the reason for having a party that day. 日本語訳 いつ到着するかは当事者たちによって、一層顕著に違います。私がシアトルで姉妹のジューンとその夫のボブを訪問した時、私たちは午後5時からのバーベキューパーティーに招待されました。ボブたちの家を5時頃出発し、招待された時間から25分程度遅れて到着しました。誰も私たちがその遅れた時間に着いたことを驚きもしないようだった。そして、2,3人の人たちは私たちよりが到着したよりもさらに後に到着した。そうこうしている間、新しい手作りの木製デッキで、誰もがドリンクや会話を楽しんでいました。それがその日パーティをする理由なのです。

• 次の英文の訳をお願いします!!

Late one evening,as my husband slept in front of the television and l was catching up on my e-mail,an “instant message” appeared on the screen. lt was from Mlargo,my oldest step-daughter,also up late and sitting in front of her computer five hours away. As usual,we sent several messages back and forth,exchanging the latest news.When we would “chat” like that,she wouldn’t necessarily know if it was me or her dad operating the keyboard---that is unless she asked. That night she didn't ask and l didn't identify myself either. After hearing the latest volleyball scores, the details about an upcoming dance at her school,and a history project she was working on,I commented that it was late and l should get to sleep. Her return message read,“Okay,talk to you later!Love you!”

• グラマー、訳に関して疑問のある英文がありました

(1)we shall have nothing left to wish for.  『私たちには願い残すことは何もないだろう』(と訳しました。)   この英文,    We shall have nothing to left to wish for. にするとやはりto toと並んで不自然なのでしょうか? 原文は We shall have nothing (that) left to wish for. と、thatが隠れた状態だと 勝手に思っているのですが、確信もないので説明できる方がいれば嬉しいです。  またleave には(残す)という意味があったのですが、leave to do にはそのような意味が 載っていなかったので、正確に訳せているか不安になりました。 この英文の和訳は以前にもお聞きしたのですが、再度お願いいたします。 (2)She trembled with fear at what it might do. この分もグラマー、和訳ともに確信が持てません。  グラマーに関して)→ fear at わかりません。 基本は fear of (about ,that)だと思うのですが、at に変化することでどう訳し方が変わるのでしょう?  訳してみました。→『彼女は起こるかもしれないことへ状況に恐怖で震えた。』(どう訳せばいいの  か…。なんだか不自然です。)  at にはいろいろ意味があると思いますが、状態について、“~で”を使用する訳し方を選びました。 fear of にすると『彼女は起こるかもしれないことへの恐怖で震えた。』 おとぎ話の文なので会話だとfear ofの方が自然、 文体だと少し説明的になる、くらいの違いでしょうか? 後ろに~なこと= what ~が来る場合はfear at what が自然なのでしょうか? そもそも二つの私の和訳は的確なのでしょうか…? 以上の2文です。ちなみに美女と野獣からの抜粋です。 宜しくお願い致します。

• 次の英文の訳をお願いします

But with this increased awareness of the Muslim , there is a lack of appreciation of the nuances within our group. The reality is that the vast majority of Muslims are secular and, like me, quite godless. We do not pray five times a day , do not read the Koran and have not spent much time inside a mosque. We only turn to Islam when a child is born , someone gets married or someone dies.

• 英文と日本語訳があります。日本語訳は正しいですか?

One of my students, whom we will call Daigo, told me that when he was first invited to a party in Ve nezuela, he arrived a little before the hour and walked around the block several times before pushing the door bell exactly on the hour. No one, not even the hostess, was there. It was not until two to three hours later that everyone else appeared, and all apparently within a 20- to 30-minute period. 日本語訳 私の学生の一人、ここではダイゴと呼ぶことにしますが、彼は、ベネズエラで初めてパーティーに招待されたとき、約束の時間よりも少し早く着いて数度その辺りを歩いてから時間丁度に呼び鈴を鳴らしたと語りました。誰も、招いた家の妻でさえ、そこにいなかったのです。他の出席者全員が現れたのは2~3時間あとで、明らかに、20~30分の間に皆来たのです。

• 英作文並べ替え

教えてください。 彼には歌手だったころの面影がまったく残っていない。 There [was,of,he,nothing,left,the singer,once,is] There was nothing left ??

• 次の英文を訳して下さい。

There, a company from the Canterbury Battalion had just arrived, with their commanding officer Lieutenant-Colonel Douglas Stewart. By 16:00 the New Zealand companies had formed a defence line on Russell's Top. On Baby 700, there was on the left Morsehead's and Lalor's men, and at the top of Malone's Gulley were the survivors of the 2nd Battalion and some men from the 3rd Brigade. On the right were the men left from the Auckland companies, and a mixed group from the 1st, 2nd, 11th and 12th Battalions. Once Stewart's men were secure, he ordered Morsehead to withdraw. During a Turkish artillery bombardment of The Nek, Stewart was killed. The artillery heralded the start of a Turkish counter-attack; columns of troops appeared over the top of Battleship Hill and on the flanks and attacked the ANZAC lines. At 16:30 the three battalions from the 72nd Infantry Regiment arrived and attacked from the north. At the same time the Australians and New Zealanders holding on at Baby 700 broke and ran back to an improvised line, from Walker's Ridge in the north to Pope's Hill in the south. The defence line at The Nek was now defended by nine New Zealanders, under the command of a sergeant; they had three machine-guns but the crews had all been killed or wounded. As the survivors arrived from Baby 700 their numbers rose to around sixty. Bridges in his divisional headquarters starting receiving messages from the front; just after 17:00 Lieutenant-Colonel George Braund on Walker's Ridge advised he was holding his position and "if reinforced could advance". At 17:37 Maclagen reported they were being "heavily attacked", at 18:15 the 3rd Battalion signalled, "3rd Brigade being driven back". At 19:15 from Maclagen again "4th Brigade urgently required". Bridges sent two hundred stragglers, from several different battalions, to reinforce Braund and promised two extra battalions from the New Zealand and Australian Division which was now coming ashore. Dusk was at 19:00 and the Turkish attack had now reached Malone's Gulley and The Nek. The New Zealanders waited until the Turks came close, then opened fire in the darkness, stopping their advance. Seriously outnumbered, they asked for reinforcements. Instead, the supporting troops to their rear were withdrawn and the Turks managed to get behind them. So, taking the machine-guns with them, they withdrew off Russell's Top into Rest Gully. This left the defenders at Walker's Ridge isolated from the rest of the force.

• 同じ意味になるように日本語訳もお願いします

We left at eight, and we arrived there just at noon. We left at eight,() there just at noon. Because we were caught in a shower,we took shelter under a tree. ()() a shower,we took shelter under a tree. As I have never been here before, I don't know which way to go. ()()() here before, I don't know which way to go. As there was no power service,we used lamps at night ()() no power service,we used lamps at night If we consider his age, he looks young. ()()(), he looks young

• make AB 「AをBにする」

makeABをどの範囲まで書きかえることができるかと考えていて、以下のような書き換えを考えました。ニュアンス等おかしい箇所があればご指摘おねがいします。また別の書き換えバリエーションがありましたら教えてください。 The news made her happy. =She was made happy by the news. =She was happy to hear the news. =She became(was) happy when she heard(knew) the news. =She became(was) happy because she heard(knew) the news. He made to get up earliy every morning his habbit. =He made it his habbit to get up earliy every morning. Milk makes us healthy. =We drink millk to be(become) healthy. =If you drink milk, you get healthy.