• ベストアンサー

at a high school 冠詞のあるなし

My father teaches math at a high school. My father teaches math at high shool. 教えている場所がpointで 教育活動に言及していない場合には、(つまり単に場所指定なら)a がいる。カリキュラムや学校生活に関わるときには いらない。 と 理屈で思っているのですが、 いざ 「私の父は、高校で 数学を教えています。」を英訳する時には、 それが 場所なのか 教育活動なのか区別できずに article に迷います。 ご意見を下さい。 

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.2

A:My father teaches math at a high school. B:My father teaches math at high school. 1)「私の父は、高校で数学を教えています」のとき、Aが最も自然な英語になるはずです。「ある高校で数学を教えています」という意味です。 http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/teaches+at 2)Bのように無冠詞の場合、一般化されて、抽象名詞的ですので、高校レベルというニュアンスになると思います。上記サイトでも  He teaches at high school. は例文として挙げられています。(無論、He teaches at a high school. も英語として成り立ちます。)この場合は、高校教師というニュアンスですね。 3)B:My father teaches math at high school.はちょっと不自然かなと思うネイティブもいるはずで、My father is a high-school math teacher. と言い直すかもしれません。 4)しかしほとんどのネイティブは、Bも、「父は高校の数学教師だ」という意味を表す表現として受け入れると思います。 5)他の冠詞の問題同様、日本人が思うほど、定式的に割り切れる問題ではないように思います。  

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 ≫3)B:My father teaches math at high school.はちょっと不自然かなと思うネイティブもいるはずで、My father is a high-school math teacher. と言い直すかもしれません。 なるほど!! そうなんですねっ!!  口語では、論議が出そうな言い方をなるたけ避けてしゃべろうと思いました。 またよろしくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (2)

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.3

teaches math at a high school が普通の表現です。場所、教育活動という分類は確かに紛らわしいと思いますが「或る学校で」と場所らしきものを言おうとしています。 学生の立場から言うときは無冠詞が多いとでも言えば大雑把に当たっているかも。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

My father is a high-school math teacher. とすれば悩まなくてすむわけですが・・・ 教えている特定の場所、学校を意識していうなら he teaches math in a school となるかと思いますが、「教師をしている」 という意味でいうのなら at school だけでいいのではないでしょうか。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 はい、My father is a high-school teacher. を使える時には使います。 これが一番シンプル!なんですね。 またよろしくお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• 冠詞の問題

こんばんは。 冠詞の単元での問題なのですが、教えて下さい。 (1)一緒にそれをちょっと見てみよう。Let's have a look at it. このhaveはどういう意味で使われているのでしょうか?熟語なのでしょうか? (2)I dove the car of my father. の文の間違いを直せという問題なのですが、人間以外のものの所有を表すときは<A of B>と書いてあったので間違いはないのではないかと思ったのですが、答えはI drove my father's car でした。なぜなんでしょうか? (3)I told them to stop talking, but they didnt pay (  ). ア、an attention  イ、any attention  ウ、attentions  エ、some attention という問題でこ答えはイなのですが、私にとっては全てあてはまるように見えます・・・。なぜイが最適なのでしょうか? 長くなりましたがよろしくお願いします。

• 英語の文の書き換えについて

いつもありがとうございます。英文の書き換えについて、以下の問題と解答についてご指摘等お願いします。 (1)My uncle teaches Ken math.を受け身にする。   (a)Math is taught Ken by my uncle.   (b)Ken is taught math by my uncle. (2)Mt.Fuji is the highest mountain that I have climbed.を比較級にする。   (c)Mt.Fuji is higher than any other mountain which I have climbed. (a)についてはMath is taught to Ken by my uncle.のようにKenの前にtoをつけるべきなのでしょうか。 (c)についてはmountainsにすべきかで悩んでいます。 よろしくお願いします。

• the police

The other day a man stole 950yen from my father's car in the after noon at the company. My father caught him and called "the" police. ここのtheは何でa policeではないんですか?

• broken 300 pounds

I am at a complete loss over how to help my father. He’s been overweight my entire life, and I’m reaching a point of feeling like I have to do something about it. I found out when I went home that he’s broken 300 pounds. broken 300 poundsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 第一?第二?第三文型?

My name is Yamada Noriko. は第一文型ですか? He studies French at school. は第三文型ですか? My father works for a telephone company. は第二文型ですか? 英語が全くわからないので、教えていただきたいんですが・・・

• 和訳お願いします。

Finally my mother comes downstairs and my father, being at the moment engaged in conversation with my grandfather, is made uneasy by her entrance, for he does not know whether to greet my mother or to continue the conversation. He gets up from his chair clumsily and says "Hello" gruffly. My grandfather watches this, examining their congruence, such as it is, with a critical eye, and meanwhile rubbing his bearded cheek roughly, as he always does when he reasons. He is worried; he is afraid that my father will not make a good husband for his oldest daughter. At this point something happens to the film, just as my father says something funny to my mother: I am awakened to myself and my unhappiness just as my interest has become most intense. The audience begins to clap impatiently. Then the trouble is attended to, but the film has been returned to a portion just shown, and once more I see my grandfather rubbing his bearded cheek, pondering my father's character. It is difficult to get back into the picture once more and forget myself, but as my mother giggles at my father's words, the darkness drowns me. My father and mother depart from the house, my father shaking hands with my grandfather once more, out of some unknown uneasiness. I stir uneasily also, slouched in the hard chair'of the theatre. Where is the older uncle, my mother's older brother? He is studying in his bedroom upstairs, studying for his final examinations at the College of the City of New York, having been dead of double pneumonia for the last twenty-one years. mother and father walk down the same quiet streets once more. My mot is holding my father's arm and telling him of the novel she has been read and my father utters judgments of the characters as the plot is made clea~ him. This is a habit which he very much enjoys, for he feels the utm superiority and confidence when he is approving or condemning the beh ior of other people. At times he feels moved to utter a brief "Ugh," whene the story becomes what he would call sugary. This tribute is the assertion his manliness. My mother feels satisfied by the interest she has awaken and she is showing my father how intelligent she is and how interesting.

• よろしくお願いします

My wife and I have been married for 12 years. We have three boys. My wife is a high school teacher. She teaches higher-level math, and we have always had her students over at our house for help outside of school. I have always been supportive of this, but last year she had a student who didn't really need help come over. come overはcoming overとしたくなるのですが、なぜcomeなのでしょうか?よくhelpの後に動詞の原形が続くのはみるのですが、その形とは違う気がするのですが。よろしくお願いします

• 英文の訳を教えてください

自分で辞書をひいて考えたのですがはっきりとした日本語にならないのでぜひ教えていただければと思います。 I could never quite accept the idea of having to go to school while the fish were biting. So my grades were somewhat down. ※That's how my father, who studied the stock market, described them. Presenting my report card for my father to sign was like giving him a traffic ticket. ※At midterm and other delicate times, my father kept out of sight. 訳がわからないのは※の部分です。簡単な文章かもしれませんがよろしくお願いします。長文ですいません。

• 英語翻訳のわからないところお願いします。

My mum was determined that we'd have a normal upbringing. For a start, there was absolutely no swearing in our house. My father's got terrible table mannter. He just gobbles it all in and wipes his mouth on the tablecloth. While my father was behaving the way he was, my mum was busy creating this protective bubble that she kept us all in. She was amazing at giving us security. ママは普通の教育をすることに決めた。 はじめに、家の中で罵り言葉完全に禁止された。 パパのテーブルマナーひどい。 ただガツガツ食べてテーブルクロスで口を拭く。 パパがそんなふうに振舞っている間、ママはOOOOOOOOで忙しかった。 彼女はOOOOOOOOO。 OOOOOのところが分からないので(とくにprotective bubble?) よろしくお願いします。

• 【英語】作文の添削お願いします 

テーマ:印象に残っている贈り物 Most impressing present in my life is a watch that my father gave me when I passed the exam to enter the high school. My father used the watch before I was born, and he wouldn't put away it even though he was given a new watch by my mother and sister. I think the watch will have been very important for my father. So, I was very surprised when he gave it to me. At first, I hesitated to receive it, but I received it in the end because my father said with smiling that "I use this new watch". The watch was what my mother and sister gave him. My watch and my father's watch is very different because mine is very old and father's is new. However both of them are filled with love of my family. 文法や構成について指摘してください。