• ベストアンサー

次の英文の-not a given,?

A lot of insults had been traded over the years and everyone involved was going to have to be pretty mature about getting back together - not a given, considering some of the people involved. たくさんの侮辱が何年もかけて交わされていた。そして関係者は皆 かなり慎重にならなければいけなかった。-??? 何人かの関係者を考慮して。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

given は、下記の名詞の1「当然」「当たり前のこと」という意味だと思います。      http://eow.alc.co.jp/given/UTF-8/     たくさんの侮辱が何年もかけて交わされていた。そして関係者が皆仲直りをするには多分に大人になる必要があった、これにかかわった顔ぶれを見ると、当然のことでは無かった訳である。     両者(例えばパレスティナとイスラエル)はこれまでお互いの悪口をさんざん言って来た訳だから、そう言うことをやって来た連中が顔を揃えているのを見ると、両者の和平は、成立して当たり前、と言った簡単な物とはほど遠く、お互い大人になって歩み寄りをする必要があった、という意味ではないでしょうか。

arigato0
質問者

お礼

回答と解説ありがとうございます。「当然」と言う意味と、やはり訳にはイマジネーションが大事だなと改めて思います。

その他の回答 (2)

• litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.3

>たくさんの侮辱が何年もかけて交わされていた。そして関係者は皆 かなり慎重にならなければいけなかった。-??? 何人かの関係者を考慮して。 「たくさんの侮辱が何年もかけて交わされていた。だから関係者は皆、よりを戻す(これが当然そうなるという代物ではなかったことは顔ぶれを見れば分かる)には大人としてちゃんと振る舞わなければならないという心積もりはしていたのである。」 以上、参考になれば幸いです。

arigato0
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。「顔ぶれを見れば分かる」ですね。参考になりました。

noname#224896
noname#224896
回答No.1

A lot of insults had been traded over the years and everyone involved was going to have to be pretty mature about getting back together - not a given, considering some of the people involved.  この数年に渡って,多くの侮辱的言動が交わされました。また,関与した人の幾人かを考慮すると,関与した皆は,一緒であろうが無かろうが,撤回することに関して,少しは分別が付かなければならなかった.  おそらく,本来の形は, given or not given 『~であろうが無かろうが』 であり,  複数のtogether と対比して, not a givenと変化したと考えられます. =================================================== 以上です.

arigato0
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。GIVEN OR NOT GIVENで、あろうが無かろうがという意味になるんですね。 とても参考になりました。

関連するQ&A

• A lot of risk is involves in what I

A lot of risk is involves in what I'm planning on doingの後に続く これ→It's going to take a lot of courageはどういう意味になりますか? 度胸がいりそうだ。でしょうか?

• 次の英文を和訳してほしいです。

It stands to reason, then, that if the ratio of the masses of different elements in a given compound is fixed, the ratio of the atoms of these elements in the compound also must be constant. この英文を和訳してほしいです。

• 下記の英文を訳してくださる方はいませんか?

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about the empty nest, however, is that it is a sign that youth has gone. This sign, together with the evidence confronted in the mirror and the menopause, which occurs at about the same time as the empty nest, make the loss of youth impossible to deny. Given the worship of youthfulness in our society, especially youthfulness in woman, the effect is a real crisis. Of little comfort to the present generation, the declining birth rate and increasing longevity have combined to increase the average age of Americans to 29 years. If the trends continue, our ideal may also mature. お願いします。

• 次の英文を和訳してほしいです。

The article mentions that it took 17 years from the beginning of the investigation to the publication of the 11 papers on Ardi in 2009. During that time only one paper was published by the team members, in 1994. It is interesting that the team did not publish papers on the research for 15 years, for we live in the era of “publish or perish” – in other words, professors understand that they need to publish academic articles in order to keep their jobs, or at least to be able to advance their careers. True, 47 of the 70 investigators on the team were listed as authors on the 11 papers. Also, the publication of the papers all at once essentially guaranteed that the papers were given a lot of attention. Still, it is encouraging that the universities and other institutions that funded the research continued to support the team members despite the lack of papers. After all, “publish or perish” is largely due to the need for universities to be recognized as places where a lot of research is being done. High levels of publication lead to high evaluations, which helps attract students and funding to a particular university. The presence of good students and large research budgets help the school maintain its excellence. So the term “publish or perish” may not be quite as cynical as it first sounds.

• どうか次の英文を訳してください。

何度か訳していただく質問をさせていただきましたが、これが最後になります。 最終、下記の英文がわからず残ってしまいました。 これで約550の例文の訳が終わりです。 (1) Do you have any interest whatever in going to a concert when you don't understand music? (2) What a child with to its parents, the dog is to he and my wife. (3) Happy is the person who meets the right friend at the right time. (4) The vices of others we keep before our eyes, our own behind our back. (5) She plays with him as a cat with a mouse. (6) You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all of the time. 各単語の意味は難しくないのですが、なかなか意訳できません。 宜しくお願いします。

• どの英文が適しているのかが分かりません・・・。

今、英語の勉強をしているのですが分からない所があります・・・。 それは 「私は今年のクリスマスで沢山のプレゼントをもらいます。」 と英文で   表現したい場合  (1)I get a lot of presents at Christmas this year. (2)I am getting a lot of presents at Christmas this year.  (3)I am going to get a lot of presents at Christmas this year. (4)I will get a lot of presents at Christmas this year. この4つの英文のうちどれに適しているのかが分からないので  教えてください。  もし良かったら理由や解説なども書いて頂けたら有難いです。  宜しくお願いします。

• 次の英文が訳せなくて困っています

下記の英文のwhereの使い方が難しく、うまく訳せなくて困っています。 どう訳せばいいのかお聞きしたいです。また、どういった文法のルールを使っているのか、ということも、よろしければ今後の勉強のためにお聞きたいです。 元記事がこちらです。内容はドイツの車を使わなくなった街の話です http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/science/earth/12suburb.html 本文の一段落目と三段落目を抜き出したものです。  VAUBAN, Germany — Residents of this upscale community are suburban pioneers, going where few soccer moms or commuting executives have ever gone before: they have given up their cars. “When I had a car I was always tense. I’m much happier this way,” said Heidrun Walter, a media trainer and mother of two, as she walked verdant streets where the swish of bicycles and the chatter of wandering children drown out the occasional distant motor.

• お手数ですが、次の英文を訳して下さい。

The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was a peace treaty signed on March 3, 1918 between the Russian SFSR and the Central Powers, but prior to that on February 9, 1918, the Central Powers signed an exclusive protectorate treaty (German: Brotfrieden, "peace for bread") with the Ukrainian People's Republic as part of the negotiations that took place in Brest-Litovsk, Grodno Governorate (now Brest, Belarus) recognizing the sovereignty of the Ukrainian republic. Although not formally annexing the territory of the former Russian Empire, Germany and Austria-Hungary secured food-supply support in return for providing military protection. The Quadruple Alliance recognized Ukraine as a neutral state.Because of the civil unrest in the Russian Republic culminating in the October Revolution the Ukrainian People's Republic declared its independence under the government of the General Secretariat of Ukraine. In its declaration the General Secretariat announced elections for the Ukrainian Constituent Assembly to be held on January 9, 1918 and the first convocation on January 22 of the same year. On December 17, 1917 Vladimir Lenin as the head of the Sovnarkom released an ultimatum in which he accused the Central Rada of disorganizing the frontlines, stopping "any troops going into the region of the Don, the Urals, or elsewhere", sheltering political enemies such as the members of the Cadet party and ones who sided with Kaledine, as well as a requirement to "put an end to the attempts to crush the armies of the Soviet and of the Red Guard in Ukraine". Lenin gave 24 hours' notice to the government of what he called "the independent and bourgeois Republic of the Ukraine" to respond. Having Soviet armies already in Ukraine, the government of Ukraine had to act quickly to preserve the sovereignty of the state. The Ukrainian Central Rada expressed a desire for a peace treaty with foreign countries and its recognition worldwide. Since the representatives of the British and French Empires did not wish to recognize its sovereignty considering it as a part of their major ally, the Russian Empire, the treaty would give a chance for some recognition in face of the Central Powers.

• 次の英文.を日本語訳していただけないでしょうか。

The organic chemistry of membrane transport processes and carrier molecules has been developed only rather recently , considering that their physico-chemical features and biological importance have long been recognized. The design and synthesis of receptor molecules binding selectively organic and inorganic substrates has made available a range of compounds that , if made membrane soluble , may become carrier molecules and induce selective transport by rendering membranes permeable to the bound species. Thus , transport represents one of the basic functional features of supramolecular species together with recognition and catalysis. The chemistry of transport systems has three main goals : to design transport effectors , to devise transport processes , and to investigate their applications in chemistry and in biology. Selective membrane permeability may be induced either by carrier molecules or by transmembrane channels.

• 次の英文がわかりません;

When l married my husband,six years ago,he already had four small children from his previous marriage. l became their stepmother,and watched them become young teenagers. Although they lived primarily with their mother,they spent a lot of time with us as well. 0ver the years,we all learned to adjust. We enjoyed vacations together,ate family meals,worked on homework,played baseball,rented videos. However,I continued to feel somewhat like an outsider. Since l had no children of my own,my experience of parenting was limited to my husband's four,and often l felt sad because l would never know the special bond that exists between a parent and a child.   When the children moved to a town that was a five-hour drive away,my husband was understandably upset. We promptly set up an e-mail and chat-line service. This technology,combined with the telephone,would enable us to reach the children on a daily basis by sending frequent notes and messages,and even chatting together when we were all on-line.