• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:英語の訳についての質問です)

英語の帽子についての訳についての質問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英語の教科書にある帽子の訳について、正確な意味を理解できない部分があります。
  • 帽子は浸水しても問題ない帆布で作られており、気密性も高いため、船員が浮かび続けることができます。
  • 帽子のつばが切り落とされているため、湿っていても気泡をとらえたり、船員を浮かび上がらせることができます。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.1

水兵の帽子の説明でしょうか。 >the cap is designed for easy storage and to serve as a flotation device.  その帽子は、収納が容易で浮き輪代わりになるよう、考えられてある。 >It is made of canvas and is almost airtight when soaking wet.  キャンバス布地でできていて、ぐっしょり濡れると極めて気密性が高くなる。 >When the cap is thoroughly wet and the brim turned down, it can be used to capture an air bubble and keep the sailor afloat.  帽子が完全に濡れていてふちを折り返すと、空気を閉じ込めて、水兵が浮いていられるようにできる。 >それがびしょびしょに濡れたとき、それは帆布で作成されており、そして気密性も高い。 「びしょびしょに濡れたとき(when soaking wet)」は「気密性も高い(is almost airtight)」だけにかかっているんですね。濡れることと、帆布で作成されていること(It is made of canvas)は関係ありません。  turn downは、いろいろある訳語のうち「折り返す」が適切でしょう。「帽子のつばが切り落とされている」では意味が通りません。  水兵帽を濡らして、ふちを折り返し、そこに空気を溜めて、水につければ、ちょうど空のバケツを逆さまにして水に押し込んだときのように、浮力が働いて浮き輪代わりになる、ということですよ。

namamura
質問者

お礼

御回答ありがとうございます。 すごくよく分かりました。 とても丁寧に解説までしてくださってありがとございます。 助かりました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• cap、hat の意味は?

先日の英会話のレッスンで若いアメリか人の先生が cap は「つば」のある帽子、 hat の意味の方が広く、cap も含まれると説明していました オンラインの Longman 英英辞典 hat:a piece of clothing that you wear on your head: cap:a type of flat hat that has a curved part sticking out at the front, and is often worn as part of a uniform: とほぼ同じです でも、僕が中学、高校の時は授業で hat: (縁のある)帽子 cap:(つばのある)帽子 と習い、 オンラインの Merriam-Webster 英英辞典 hat: covering for the head usually having a shaped crown and brim cap:a head covering especially with a visor and no brim と同じですが、今回の授業、Longman とは違います 「hat の意味するもの」という Q and A が既にありますが: http://okwave.jp/qa/q465702.html それとも少し違います Longman、Merriam-Webster、OKwave の既出 Q and A どれが1番 合ってますか?

• 英語

It is not easy to do tha hula,though it may seem so simple and graceful when done well. フラダンスをするのは簡単ではない、上手に踊るのはとても簡単で優美そうに見えるけれど。 when done wellの部分が良くわかりません。意味合いはとれますが、文法的にいまいちです。when以下主語が無いですが省略ですか? It is not easy to do tha hula,though it may seem so simple and graceful when it(hula) is done well.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

Walters is a man of few words. When asked by the press why he did it, he said: 'You can't just sit there.' When asked if he was scared, he answered:'Wonderfully so.' When asked if he would do it again, he said: 'No.' And asked if he was glad that he did it, he grinned said:'Oh,yes.' The human race sits in its chair.On the one hand is the message that says there's nothing left to do.And people like Larry Walters are busy tying balloons to their chairs, directed by dreams and imagination to realize them.

• 英語訳お願いします。

どなたか、英語が堪能な方お願いします。 (1) This is charcoal. I like barbeque very much. I often have barbeque party with my family and friends in summer. It is really fun and dish is very delicious. (2) This is an autographed ball. I was given an autograph by Mr.Yoshinobu Takahashi in Yomiuri Giants. It is genuine. I like baseball since long ago. My father watched Major League games on TV in the weekend and I came to like it affected by that. (3) These are vegetables. I am working as a part time worker at the grocery store. All worker are friendly and cheerful and I am happy to work. My job is easy. (lol) Good points to work there are that hourly pay is high and I can eat many fresh fruits. (4) This is a savings bank in the form of Jizo (a guardian deity of children). It has good touch and I like it. No money is in it. (lol) (5) This is a seal. I bought it when I went to the trip to Beijing, China. It was made of crystal and by craftsman’s hands. I like it very much but have never used. (lol) (6) This is a photo of Tenanmon. It was very cold on the day I took this photo. It was very wide and the building had sense of history. Here was also a location site of the movie "Last Emperor." (7) This is a ticket of the World Cup. I went to the World Cup 2006 in Germany. I saw the game between Japan and Brazil and was very excited. Dortmund in Germany had very beautiful street and very tasty baked sausage 長文すいません・・・

• 英語訳

英語訳がわからなくて困っています。助けて下さい(涙) The Latin's disdain for queues never ceases to amaze the British, to whom it seems thoroughly inconsiderate and uncivilised. However,it is worth nothing that there was a time when the British behaved exactly like the Latins whose disorderliness they despise. よろしくお願いしますm(__)m

• 次の英文訳をお願いいたします。

Anyone can die like a dog but true courage is to live when it is right to live and to die only when it is right to die. ご面倒おかけしますが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の質問です

英語の問題です。 参考書に下記の英文が載っていました。 ○大地震がいつどこで起こるかは予測不可能だ。 it is impossible to predict where and when there will be a major earthquake. また、同じ参考書に ○ウィスキーのボトルを2本も空けて車を運転するのは危険だ。 it would be dangerous to drink two bottles of whiskey and drive a car. という英文があります。この英文の説明では「ウィスキーのボトルを2本も空けて車を運転する」のは普通はありえないので仮定法を用いてit is dangerousではなくit would be dangerousにするとあります。 それなら、最初に挙げた英文でも大地震がどこでいつ起こるかの予測は普通出来ないのでit would be impossible~になるのではないかと思うのですが、それでは間違いなのでしょうか?

• (299) On your head……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

(1)On your head above wear a shaped cap of felt to keep your ears from getting wet, for the dawn is chill when Boreas has once made his onslaught, and at dawn a fruitful mist is spread over the earth from starry heaven upon the fields of blessed men: (2)it is drawn from the ever flowing rivers and is raised high above the earth by windstorm, and sometimes it turns to rain towards evening, and sometimes to wind when Thracian Boreas huddles the thick clouds. 次の文章は“Works and Days” by Evelyn Whiteの一節です。 (1)(2)は連続した文章です。 試し訳と語彙について質問します。 よろしくお願いします。 (1)On your head above wear a shaped cap of felt to keep your ears from getting wet, for the dawn is chill when Boreas has once made his onslaught, and at dawn a fruitful mist is spread over the earth from starry heaven upon the fields of blessed men: (お前の)頭(の上)に、前述の、フェルトで型取った帽子を被れ、(お前の)耳を濡らさないようにするためだ。 一度、北風が激しく吹くと、Boreas has once made his onslaught 夜明け(朝方)は冷えるからな。そして、暁には、神の祝福を受けた人間の野に、星を散りばめた天からfrom starry heaven 収穫をもたらす霧が地上一面に広がる。 <質問> (a) when Boreas has once made his onslaughtについて    has madeで現在完了です。従って、「一度、吹いた時」となり、降り止んだ    後のことを述べている。実際、北風は止んで、星空の話になっている。      「いったん、吹きだすと」の意味ではないと考えました。      正しいと思うのですが、念のため質問します。 (b) On your head above wear a shaped cap of feltのaboveについて    このaboveが紛らわしいのですが、前置詞ではなく副詞のようです。      「前述の(内側にフェルトを張った靴のこと)」/ 正しいでしょうか。 (2)it is drawn from the ever flowing rivers and is raised high above the earth by windstorm, and sometimes it turns to rain towards evening, and sometimes to wind when Thracian Boreas huddles the thick clouds. それ(霧)は、絶えず流れる河から生じ、暴風によって地上高く舞い上げられるis raised high above the earth そして、時には、(それは)夕方に雨になることもあれば、時には、トラキア人の北風が厚い雲を立ち込めて、暴風に変わることもある。 <質問> (c) and sometimes it turns to rain towards evening, and sometimes to wind when Thracian Boreas huddles the thick cloudsについて    この文はand sometimesが二度ある。 andは、前者と後者の意味が異なる。    また、it turns to rain……、(it turns )to windと考えられる。     when文はand sometimes to windだけの副詞で、 「また、ある時はトラキア人の北風が……の時、暴風になる」と考えた。    全体的に「雨のこともあれば、暴風windのこともある」と述べているようだ。      これは正しいでしょうか。 *Thracian Boreas;何か謂れがあるのであろう。 (QA295)ではThrace、馬の産地として紹介された; A region and ancient country of the southeast Balkan Peninsula north of the Aegean Sea

• 英語の訳をおねがいします!

All cultures have set phrases for greeting. No doubt, you have been taught to say, `How are you?` when you greet an English speaker, and to reply with,`Fine, thanks` when someone greets you, but the set phrases differ across cultuers. Although it is common in Chinese to greets people with,`How are you?` it is more common to say, `Have you eaten?` or `Where are you going?` The `Where are you going?` greeting can irritate some people, even though the greeter is just being polite in recognizing your presence by offering a greeting. For example, when I was a student at a university in Shanghai, I had to go to the shower block in order to take a shower. This was a special building, a bath house, where all the showers were. It was pretty easy to tell if someone was going to the shower block. They would be wearing special shower slippers, carrying a large plastic bowl with a bar of soap in it, and have a towel draped around their necks. So when I walked to the shower block and people used to greet me with, `Where are you going?` I often felt like (reply) `Where do you think Iam going to with my slippers, bowl, soap and towel? Make a guess.`

• 英語の訳おねがいします

訳おねがいします The chief attraction slang has for people is novelty. It is fun to hear an idea phrased in a new, unusual way. But after hundreds of repetitions, the novelty wears off: the slang loses freshness and sparkle. The history of most slang expressions is that die an early death. (A)That is one reason why slang is often ineffective in speach and inappropriate in writing that is meant to last for some time. Then, too, a great many siang expressions are so general that they hardly have any meaning at all beyond a vague indication of approval or disapproval. Using such words adds no more to your speech or writing than dose calling everything you like "wonderful" and everything you dislike "awful". Words like "dreamy" and "crummy'' are slang of this kind and add little to style or meaning. Slang should be used with caution. A safe prescription is this: in conversation with friends, use it, but in small doses. Use it even less frequently in informal writing, making sure that what you use is appropriate to the subject and will not annoy readers. Never use it in formal speech or writing. If you read a great deal and listen with interest to the speech of people who use language well, you will gradually develop a reliable judgment about the appropriateness of slang. Then, when you feel sure a slang expression is effective, you will probably be right. (A)thatが何を指しているのかもお願いします。