The Impact of Ageing on Women: The Cosmetics Industry's Exploitation

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Women in their 40s and 50s face challenges when the first wrinkles appear. They become a target for the cosmetics industry, which takes advantage of their insecurities through glamorous yet misleading commercials.
  • The phrase 'only just this side of acceptable' in the given sentence expresses the idea that the commercials produced by the cosmetics industry are almost crossing the line of what is legally allowed.
  • By omitting the phrase 'only just this side of acceptable,' the sentence would become more understandable within the reader's comprehension.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の読解

以下の文章 "Women in their 40s and 50s find it hard when the first wrinkles hit. They are a sitting target for a multi-million pound cosmetics and skin care industry that makes glamorous commercials only just this side of legally acceptable, promising to slow the ageing process of the female body." の”only just this side of acceptable”の部分の意味、文の構成物としての働きが理解できません。 その部分を省略すると私の理解の範囲に収まる文になるのですが. . . どなたか解説いただければ幸いです。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.2

>”only just this side of acceptable”の部分の意味、文の構成物としての働きが理解できません。 先ず「this side of」は「short of」「almost」ということです。(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/this+side+of) よって 「only just this side of legally acceptable」は「ようやく法的に許されているに過ぎない」という意味になります。 「makes glamorous commercials only just this side of legally acceptable」は簡素化すると「makes commercials acceptable」ということです。 以上、参考になれば幸いです。

bodysnatcher
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます! 「this side of」と言うフレーズを知らなかった事が文を理解できなかった原因のようです。 なるほどそのような意味だったのですね。thisが何を指すのかなぜofの後に形容詞が来るのかと悩んでましたがスッキリしました。 私のために時間を割いて回答してくれてありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

>>”only just this side of acceptable”の部分の意味、文の構成物としての働きが理解できません。 1。意味  大切な legally という言葉を入れますと、直訳すれば、「法的に許容される辛うじてこちら側」すなわち、スレスレの線でようやく合法的と言える、という意味です。 2。文の構成物「彼女たちはXX産業の標的となる」この industry を修飾する関係節の  動詞 = makes 目的語 = commercials 補語 = side 「(化粧品産業は)(魅惑的な)コマーシャルを、(法律上すれすれの合法な)側とする」  となると思うんですが、この説明余りよくないですね。

bodysnatcher
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます! legally を忘れておりました; only just this sideだから本当にスレスレな具合なんですね! とても助けになりました、ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• 英文読解

When a liquid travels along a tube, it may do so in either of two ways.It may travel by means of laminar flow or turbulent flow. These two forms of flow can be demonstrated by an experiment in which a very fine stream of coloured ink is injected into a tube of water. When the pressure of this jet of ink is at the correct level, the ink will form a uniform stream which passes through the water without mixing with it. It remains a separate layer,or lamina of liquid --hence the term laminar flow--and the force of the liquid is used to push it forward through the water. None of the force is used to push the liquid sideways into the water. However,if the pressure of the flow of ink is increased beyond a certain value,the ink will mix with the water as soon as it enters the tube. Much of the force of the liquid is in this case used in side-to-side movement in mixing with the water and striking the side of the tube. The ink becomes thoroughly mixed with the water, and in this case the flow is known as turbulent flow. Various factors will determine whether the flow of liquid through a tube will be turbulent or laminar. As will be seen if the pressure of the ink is increased as it enters the waterm the greater the force of the liquid, the more likely turbulence is to occur. If the experiment is carried out that the diameter of the tube has an effect on whether laminar or turbulent flow takes place. It will be found that turbulent flow is more likely to occur as the tube becomes narrower. Thirdly, if the diameter of the tube is irregular, or if the tube is bent, turbulent flow is more likely to occur than in a uniform diameter tube. 上記の文を読んで、以下の問に英語で答えてください。お願いします。 1A.What is likely to happen if the diameter of the tube is reduced? 1B.What is likely to happen if the diameter of the tube is increased? 2.How many different factors can influence whether the flow of liquid in a tube is laminar or turbulent? 3.What does the force of the liquid do when the flow is laminar?

• 英文読解

(1)When I had the chance to go to college my mother was against it because she wanted me to go out and get a job and bring some money into the house. This was (1) the fact that the government was going to pay for my fees, my books and even my living costs. (2)The government paid for any student who managed to get into higher education and only denied funding to the rich. Without such funding it would have been out of the (2) for me to go on with my education and therefore climb my way higher up the food chain. Looking back now, I shall always be grateful to those post-war politicians and officials who (3) the welfare state and gave me the gift of a free education, free medical treatment and the safety net of unemployment benefit. Those were the days. Harold MacMillan, a Conservative Prime Minister of the era, famously said, “You've never had it so good.” And he was right. Today is very different. (3)(4) of the 47 universities that existed by the early sixties there are now over one hundred and the percentage of school leavers going into university education has gone from less than 10% to over 60%. Clearly the government can now no longer afford to subsidise education as it once did and the burden will fall on the students when they graduate. The baby-boomers who benefitted from free education are now the parents or even grandparents of these children. They can sometimes help financially but more often than not they have enough to worry about struggling to survive on inadequate pensions. (4)Students and their parents are facing further nightmares as universities have recently been given permission to charge commercial tuition fees. This means that on average fees will probably double and in many cases triple. The likely effects on student recruitment and on the quality of education can only be guessed at. The present government insists that students can manage the rises because these fees will not be charged until students graduate and get a job paying over 21,000 GBP. This is hardly a fortune and is, in fact, slightly below the average annual income in Britain. The new policy has brought a storm of protest from students, parents and leftist activists. The National Union of Students organised a demonstration in London against the fee rises. This went off peacefully at the beginning with thousands of students and others taking part in an orderly march to Parliament. Unfortunately on the way, some students, possibly under the influence of alcohol and egged on by more violent minded elements of crowd, stormed the Conservative Party's London headquarters. Grass doors were broken, the light security force was overwhelmed and protesters entered the building causing havoc. Furniture was smashed, offices were broken into and their contents destroyed. Even fire extinguishers were thrown from upper floors. Some protesters and police officers were injured. It was chaos. The police admitted later that they were not prepared for such violence. 【設問】 ( )に入れる適切な語 (1) アdespiteイin spiteウinsteadエthanks to (2) アeconomyイproblemウquestionエsituation (3) アfindイfoundウfoundedエhad found (4) アBecauseイDespiteウInsteadエRegardless 自分はエウウアを選んでみました。難しく感じました。

• 英文の翻訳お願いします。

インターネットでブーツを購入したのですが、発送時なって以下のメールがきました。 以下の翻訳おねがいします。 I wanted to let you know we received your Redwing boots today and they look great. The only issue is that Redwing made your boots with brown stitching instead of black stitching. Please let us know if this is acceptable and we will ship out your item immediately. 多分、ステッチの色が間違ったという内容だと思います。 間違っていてもいいので発送してください。という内容の返信の文も教えて頂けると ありがたいです。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

It is only in Japan, where the levels of insularity, racism, discrimination and xenophobia are so high that this kind of thing is considered acceptable.”

•  英文読解

大学の講義で、非拡散条約に関する英文を読んでいます。明日の講義で、私が当てられそうなのですが、三つの連続したパラグラフでつっかえてしまいました。  以下が、そのつっかえた英文です。   In April 1992, the Nuclear Suppliers Group adopted a common export policy. They agreed that transfer to a non-nuclear-weapon state of nuclear facilities, equipment, components, material and technology, as specified in the so-called trigger list, should not be authorized unless that state had brought in force an agreement with the IAEA requiring the application of safeguards on all source and spesial fissionable material in its current and future peaceful activities. In 1993 this agreement was formally recorded, but not all exporters of nuclear items subscribed to it.   Nuclear-weapon states are not obligated by the NPT to accept international control. They may, however, do so upon request of the suppliers of nuclear materials wanting to ensure that their materials are not used for the manufacture of nuclear weapons. A certain number of facilities in the nuclear-weapon states have been submitted to IAEA safeguards on a voluntary besis. Moreover, in the late 1990s Russia and the United States agreed to submit to IAEA safeguards weapon-origin fissile material designated as no longer required for defence purposes.   What is clearly missing is an international body to which complaints of non-compliance with the NPT, other than those related to nuclear safeguards, could be directed for investigation. The absence of such a body led to the application by some states of unilateral sanctions against suspected but not proven violators.  具体的にわからない文は、  「 They agreed that transfer to a non-nuclear-weapon state of nuclear facilities, equipment components, material and technology, as specified in the so-called trigger list, should not be authorized unless that state had brought in force an agreement with the IAEA requiring the application of safeguards on all source and spesial fissionable material in its current and future peaceful activities.」 ・state of nuclear facilities, equipment components, material and technology  私が訳すると、「原子力の施設と設備と部品と材料と技術の非核保有国」というわけのわからない文章になってしまいます。この「of」はどう言った役割を果たすのでしょうか? ・~on all source and spesial fissionable material in its current and future peaceful activities.  の「all souece」はどんな風に訳するのが適当でしょうか? また「its」は何を指しているのでしょうか? 「 They may, however, do so upon request of the suppliers of nuclear materials wanting to ensure that their materials are not used for the manufacture of nuclear weapons.」 ・私の辞書で調べた限りでは、「do so upon」という熟語はないようです。それぞれの単語をひいても、上手く訳できません。  「do」がこの文の動詞だと思うのですが、これが間違っていないならば、どう訳するべきでしょうか? 「 What is clearly missing is an international body to which complaints of non-compliance with the NPT, other than those related to nuclear safeguards, could be directed for investigation.」 ・What is ~ となっている点から、最初は疑問文だと思ったのですが、疑問符が文末についていないので違うと判断しました。ですが、「疑問詞から始まる文=疑問文」ぐらいしか覚えていないので、どう訳すればいいかわかりません。  長文失礼しました。見づらいと思いますが、ヒントだけでも教授いただければ幸いです。

• 英文読解

In writing these pages, which, for the want of a better name, I shall be fain to call the autobiography of so insignificant a person as myself, it will not be so much my intention to speak of the little details of my private life, as of what I, and perhaps others round me, have done in literature; of my failures and successes such as they have been, and their causes; and of the opening which a literary career offers to men and women for the earning of their bread. (中略) That I, or any man, should tell everything of himself, I hold to be impossible. Who could endure to own the doing of a mean thing? Who is there that has done none? But this I protest:— that nothing that I say shall be untrue. I will set down naught in malice; nor will I give to myself, or others, honour which I do not believe to have been fairly won. (中略)以下の英文について教えてください。 That I, or any man, should tell everything of himself, I hold to be impossible. ・・・・私やいかなる人が自分自身の全てを語ることは、不可能です? Thatは「~のことは」ですか? shouldは話者の強い意志を表したものですか? Who could endure to own the doing of a mean thing? Who is there that has done none? 修辞疑問文ですか? I will set down naught in malice ・・・・私は悪意で無を書きとめるつもりです? どういう意味ですか?in maliceのニュアンスが掴めません。 お手数をおかけしますがよろしくお願いいたします。 ----An Autobiography: Anthony Trollope

• この英文の翻訳をお願いします。

この文は、音楽の事を言っていると思うのですが、どういう意味でしょうか。回答を宜しくお願いします。 Hello! I gladly tell you. All this needs for personal home use only.... For my DAC, which has many connections. And one of them is BNC input, but i have not BNC outs on my computer, only toslink and coax... Every of inputs on DAC has its original decoder only for one connection, and each connection has nuances in the sound.

• この英文の文法を教えてください。

新聞からの抜粋なのですが、 Just as the recovery was building this will side swipe the pace of that recovery. この文の文法がわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文読解

(1)How many times have you been on vacation only to find that what was in the glossy brochure didn't reflect the reality of the destination? What about all those tourist traps where everything is cheaply and expensive? The public attitude is spend, spend, spend—and it's a bit like eating too much chocolate: it feels good at the time, but leaves you feeling rather sickly afterward. (2)We have this tendency to see the grass as being greener on the other side: whereas, it can really be quite green where we are. For example, I spent seven years in a coastal town, and it was only as I was preparing to move that I decided to take in a few more sights around the area. I had quite a shock to discover what I had been missing during those years, which made moving even harder. When we live in a nice place, we tend to take it for granted. Sometimes it is good to get away, far away, particularly if you live in a crowded city, but there is often this odd pressure on us to take vacations in distant and exotic places when great places to relax can be quite close to home. (3)A vacation can be an expensive affair, costing hundreds of dollars a day on fuel, food, and accommodation. Those long trips also have an environmental impact such as greenhouse gases produced by the travel. A 1,000-mile round trip in a medium-sized car will produce around half a ton in carbon dioxide. A 2,500-mile return flight will result in over double the amount. (4)Additionally, there can be the stresses of packing, scheduling, and then worrying about your home while you are away, combined with battling crowds of other tourists. It's not unusual for people to come back from vacation more stressed than when they left. Have you ever considered a “staycation”? A staycation is a holiday at or close to home, whether it's relaxing in the backyard or exploring the region that you live in more, with plenty of time to do so. Even the holiday-obsessed British are trying staycations, although due mainly to economic circumstances. In May 2008, a British paper organized a survey and found that a third of respondents were switching their plans from a holiday abroad to a holiday in Britain. (5)What should you do on a staycation? The first point is not to do things you wouldn't do on vacation elsewhere, such as mowing the lawn or painting the house. Your staycation needs to be fun! Do all that stuff before you go, just as you would do in preparing for a traditional vacation. Become a tourist in your own town! Visit your local tourist information center, and you may be surprised at what you discover to see and do on your home patch. There are parks and museums you haven't visited, restaurants you haven't tried, and perhaps you could take in a local festival or two. (6)You don't have to stay at home for it to be a staycation. There may be a small hotel on the outskirts of town you would enjoy, a nice camping spot, or even an organic farm nearby where you can grow your own food. (7)Perhaps you could even invest the money you save on not taking an expensive vacation to make things a little more staycation friendly in your home, such as creating a private little slice of paradise in your own backyard. While your staycation isn't going to save the planet on its own, it will probably save you money and is one of the many small things we you can do that collectively will help reduce the impact on our environment. 【設問】文中の語の意味内容 ・2段落this tendency アto spend a lot of money イto think things are better elsewhere ウto feel regretful for what has been done エto realize everything is expensive at famous resorts ・3段落the amount アthe cost of the fuel イthe distance by car ウthe volume of carbon dioxide エthe time to reach your destination ・4段落to do so アto consider a staycation イto visit distant or exotic places ウto rest at home or discover your neighborhood エto worry about your home and fight crowds of tourists 自分はアウアを選んでみました。

• 英文の邦訳

The Investment Company Act of 1940 does not recognize the existence of fund families, so the board of directors of a mutual fund owes duties only to the shareholders of a particular fund, undiluted by the interests of other funds within the fund family. This disconnect between the law and the organization of the industry has gone largely unexamined. 上記英文で最後の一文の意味・内容が分かりません。どなたかお分かりになる方,宜しくお教え下さい。