• ベストアンサー

以下の英文の和訳の仕方を教えてください。お願いします。

以下の英文の和訳の仕方を教えてください。お願いします。 The absent Paul, haunting her with letters and telephone bells and imagined footsteps on the stairs had begun to the greater torment.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

Iris Murdoch 女史の The Bell の一節ですね。 翻訳自体は翻訳書もあるし、ネットにもこの部分の訳が出てたりします。 → http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cci32280/pbIrisMurdoch.htm それに、まったく同じ部分の訳を教えて欲しいという質問もあり、それに見事に答えていらっしゃる方もおられます。 → http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1240589932 「和訳の仕方」といっても、それらのすぐれた方の訳を参照するのが一番だと思いますが・・・ 文の構造は、The absent Paul が主語ですね。 述語に当たる部分は、had begun to the greater torment です。 真ん中の haunting her with letters and telephone bells and imagined footsteps on the stairs という部分は「付帯状況」を描写しています。 ですから、基本的には、まず The absent Paul ... had begun to the greater torment. という文を訳してみることから出発してはどうでしょう。 The absent Paul は、「不在のポール」ですね。主人公の夫でしたっけ。主人公とは別居してるのかな? その Paul が had begun to the greater torment なのですが、the greater 「ますます」 had begun to torment 「苦しめ始めた」。 つまり、居ない人間に苦しめられる状況が生じた、というわけです。 その状況を具体的に述べているのが、真ん中に挟まれている haunting her with letters and telephone bells and imagined footsteps on the stairs という部分です。 haunt は「つきまとう」こと。「手紙や電話のベル、それに階段の想像上の足音」に「つきまとわれて」いるのが、話者の苦痛の原因であるわけです。 これだけ把握しておいてから、全体を日本語の文として読めるように再構成していけばいいのだと思います(上記のページにすぐれた訳が出ているので、私のまずい訳文を出すのは遠慮しておきます)。 少しはご参考になりましたでしょうか。

bekool
質問者

お礼

とっても参考になりました。ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (2)

• kacashi
  • ベストアンサー率50% (67/134)
回答No.3

和訳の仕方、というと関係代名詞とかの部分がわからないのかなーと思ったので、 The absent Paul, (haunting her with letters and telephone bells and imagined footsteps on the stairs) had begun to the greater torment. haunting以下はPaulにかかります。電話や手紙攻勢で彼女を悩ませたポール(の不在) The absentが主語になるので、the absent ~ had begun to the greater torment. 不在が、より一層の苦痛になった。 全部まとめて、 手紙や電話、階段をいく足音の幻聴で彼女を悩ませたポールの不在が、より一層の苦痛になった。 という感じでしょうか。

bekool
質問者

お礼

参考になりました。ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • spring135
  • ベストアンサー率44% (1487/3332)
回答No.1

ポールは実際にはそこにいないのだが、彼女に手紙や電話のベルの音でしつこく付きまとい、彼女には階段を歩く足音さえ聞こえる気がするようになり、彼女にとって大きな苦痛となってきた。

bekool
質問者

お礼

参考になりました。ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! 20The year 1953 had begun particularly successfully for Adenauer as regards foreign policy. 21On 19 March the Bundestag had ratified the treaty of the European Defence Community (EDC). 22Only France’s signature was missing. 25Above and beyond that, uncertainty about the consequences of a possible intervention was too great. 26Only when, in the next few days, he came under pressure to act did Adenauer address a telegram to the heads of government of the Western Allies on 21 June.

• この英文の詳しい解説と和訳をお願いします。

. She said her mother had died and she was left all alone and was leaving her village. この英文の詳しい解説と和訳をお願いできませんでしょうか? 和訳としては 「彼女は、母を失い、独りになったので、生まれた村・・・・・ と言う感じで、最後の部分が良く分かりません。最後の部分は 「生まれた村”から”離れることにしました。」 と訳すのか 「生まれた村”へ”出発することにしました。」 と訳すのかどうなのか分かりません。 「leave for」で、「~に向かって出発{しゅっぱつ}する」 と言う意味があることは分かっているのですが、私の感覚なのですが 「母親が死に、独りになったので、村を離れることにした」 と言う感じの意味のように思っているのですが、これでは「~へ向かって出発する」の意味が全くなくなっているように思えて、どうもすっきりしません。 簡単な英文のように思っているのですが、正確に、また自分なりに納得いく訳し方が出来ていないように思い、とても悩んでおります。 英語にお詳しい方、この程度の英語知識のものですが、詳しく解説していただけませんでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をお願いします。

和訳をお願いします。 THE SPICE COOK BOOKという本の文なのですが、和訳に困っています。 英語の文法などの知識があまりないため、助力願いたいです。 Finally,she could run no longer. As Apollo's hand touched her,she prayed to the gods to camouflage the beauty which had been so pleasing. At once,her feet took root,her arms became boughs and leaves sprouted from her finger tips.

• 英文と和訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

Fudai han were usually small, but they were strategically placed around the Kanto plain, along an axis to the Kinai district, in Kinai itself, and on the borders of large tozama han. The fudai daimyo (about one hundred and thirty families) provided the bakufu with its councilors and senior officials, and those who received greater prestige, than they would have had as minor territorial lords. 和訳 譜代は通常小藩であるけれども、戦略的に関東平野の周辺、畿内地区の幹線に沿って、畿内それ自体の内部に、それと大きな外様藩に接している所に配置された。幕府に老中、若年寄や上級役人を提供していた譜代大名(約130家族)は、領土の少ない君主としては、所有していた(であろう)よりも大きな威信を受け取っていた。

• 和訳、できれば文法的説明もお願いします

She looked up as she heard his footsteps, and the gracious smile which her lips put on, was an invitation to make himself happy in a seat beside her. But he resisted the blandishment, and lifting his hat as he passed, with a smile in return, he soon disappeared from her presence, and joined the two who awaited him. 上の文の和訳をお願いします。 the gracious smile which her lips put on (彼女の唇がおいた優しい笑顔・・・?) an invitation to make himself happy in a seat beside her 等々よくわからないのです。

• 英文の和訳

和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 2つの段落になります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Before we close, lets just look again at the planet Venus, and the house she occupies. She is the planet of love and her position in the chart is like an inner light, a candle lighting the shadows of another dark room and revealing more of the intricacies of your future love. Let me apologize if you feel you have had to wait a long time. I am receiving so many requests for readings now, and each chart and reading is prepared for you individually, there is no way it can be rushed. I hope it has inspired and enlightened, and look forward to preparing further readings for you.

• 英文和訳お願いします><

以下の文章を和訳お願いします>< とても困ってます。助けてください; Gambling on a smaller wedding dressーLisa Shumpert has six months to lose three sizes and 40 Ibs. 1. Meet Lisa: Lisa Shumpert is the tallest and the heaviest of all the "Dateline Diet Challenge" brides at 5 feet 9 inches and 308 Ibs. "I am not walking down the aisle looking like a balloon," She says. "Right now I'm the biggest person in my bridal party. I want the attention to be on me because it's my wedding and not because, 'Wow, she's huge.'" Shumpert has battled being overweight all her life. She's tried dieting before but has never been able to keep the weight off. And obesity runs in her family——her father was obese and died of a heart attack when she was 7 years old. 2. But at the age of 29, Shumpert has a lot going for her. She's a successful accounrant and says she gets lots of support from her mother and two sisters. Shopping for a dress wasn't easygoing. "The largest size of The dress I chose still didn't fit me. So it was like, 'Okay, Lisa this is it.' No one wants to not fit their wedding dress." As any bride knows, one of the first decisions is picking a dress which is usually orderd months in advance. So Shumpert is talking a big gamble by ordering a gown three sizes too small for her. To meet her goal, she chooses the appropriately-named "Wedding Dress Diet" by Robyn Flipse and Jacqueline Shannon. Shumpet wants to lose 40 Ibs. by her wedding day. She literally can't afford to fail. 3. Month 1: Shumpert realizes that at this point there is no "Plan B." "If I don't reach my goal, I can't fit in my dress, and my dress would have been bought, " she says. "I've never had a waist, and I would just like to see a waist at some point in my lifetime." To lose weight, Shumpert starts working out with a personal trainer at The Training Loft. She is getting help revamping her eating habits from Flipse, a nutritionist. The "Wedding Dress Diet" emphasizes counting calories. She's limited to 2,200 calories a day — 1,000 less than what she consumes now. And if getting started on a diet wasn't hard enough Shumpert also has plenty of wedding worries, including her guest list: just "My reception hall only holds 175 people. And when I did my guest list just for my family and friends, I had about 169. So that doesn't leave Josh with many people."

• この英文の詳細な和訳と解説をお願いします。

. 現在、英語絵本の「うしわかまる」を読み終えたので、改めて読み直しているところなのですが、 ”?”と思える文が出てきたので、悩んでいます。その英文と言うのが He had actually decided to kill them but was struck by Tokiwa Gozen's feeling for her children and decided to spare them their lives. と言う文でして、和訳としては 彼(平清盛)は実際は、彼ら(常盤御前と3人の子供)を殺すつもりでしたが、常盤御前の子供に対する気持ちに心打たれ、彼らの命を助けることしました。 と言う感じかなと思っているのですが、分からない箇所と言うのが、最後の ”and decided to spare them their lives.” と言う箇所です。 ”decide to spare their lives でいいのでは? と思ってしまうのですが、なぜ「them」が付くのでしょうか?この「them」どういう意味になるのでしょうか? 「them」をつけて直訳すると 彼らに彼らの命を助けることを決める と言うような訳になってしまうような気がして、全体の意味が変わってしまうのでは? と私の英語知識では感じてしまうのです・・・・ 詳しい解説と和訳をお願いできませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします

高二の教科書の一部分なんですが 良く分からない部分があるので和訳をしていただけないでしょうか? “But you never really saw any fighting?” She smiled grimly. “Only in our house.” She took a small bite of her sandwich. It was surprising, the way the words had started pouring out. English words. This American boy had done nothing but smile at her encouragingly and here she was, putting into English things she’d never spoken of before in any language.

• 和訳と解説お願いです

Pride and Prejudiceの一節です。 Mrs Gardiner reminded Lizzy of her promise concerning Wicham,and requierd infomation,and Lizzy had such to send as might rather give contentment to Mrs Gardiner than to herself. 和訳と解説をお願いしたい部分は2行目のLizzy had such to send as のあたりです。特にto sendが他の部分とどのように係わり合うのか ご教示賜りたい。 以上です。