Writing: Clearing the Ambiguities of Speech

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Writing is a powerful tool that helps to eliminate ambiguities present in speech.
  • For example, the difference between 'my daughter's books' and 'daughters' books' becomes clear when written, as it shows that 'daughter's' is singular and 'daughters'' is plural.
  • Additionally, writing allows us to differentiate between homonyms, words that sound alike but are spelled differently, such as 'be' and 'bee', 'to' and 'too', and 'two'.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

添削おねがいします。

Writing eliminates some of the ambiguities of speech. For instance, the difference between mydaughter's books and daughters' books becomes clear in writing because we can see that daughter's is singular and daughters' books plural. Homonymsーwrods that sound alike but are spelled differentlyーcause no confusion once they are written. The spelling shows the difference between be(the verb to be)and bee(the insect) or to (the preposition),too(the adverb)and two(the number). 書くことはいくつかの曖昧なスピーチをなくせる。例えばわたしの娘の本と私の娘たちの本の意味は違って、書くとはっきりする。なぜなら私たちは娘は単数で娘たちは複数と分かるからである。同音異義語というのは単語の音が同じだからスペルが違う。そして1回書くことで混乱をなくせる。そのつづりは(動詞)になったり、 ここまではなんとなくわかったのですが最後の方がinsectとでてきたりしてよくわかりません。普通に昆虫と訳していいのでしょうか?

• rinmu
  • お礼率7% (4/52)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Freeuser
  • ベストアンサー率45% (181/399)
回答No.1

書くことは、話し言葉のあいまいさをなくすことができる。たとえば、「私の娘の(daughter's)本」と「私の娘たちの(daughters')本」(注:発音は同じ)の違いは、書くことではっきりする、というのは、daughter'sは単数でdaughters'は複数だとわかるからだ。同音異義語―つづりは違うが発音が同じ単語―は、書くことで混乱を起こさなくなる。書くことで動詞のbeと昆虫のbee(蜂)(注:発音は同じ)、または、前置詞のtoと副詞のtooと数字のtwo(注:発音はいずれも同じ)などのつづりの違いが明らかになるからだ。 みたいなところですね。すべて日本語に訳してしまうと、逆に意味がわからなくなってしまいそうですね。英単語を訳の中に残したほうがいいときもあると思いますよ。

rinmu
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。全部訳していたから意味がわからなかったんですね。本当にたすかりました。

関連するQ&A

• 英作の添削お願いします。

受験に向けて英作の練習をしているのですが、とにかく英作は苦手で、 むちゃくちゃな英作だとは思いますが、宜しければ添削お願いします。 Why do you think many people are interested in collecting insect ? Write a passage of 5 sentences in English. ↑この問いに解する私なりの解答です↓ I think that many people are interested in collecting insect is well. It is not a sin to collect insect. Because they are beautiful and interesting and fascinating stories attached them. Collections sre very helpful in the study of insect. I want more kind of discovery that them by collecting.

• 添削

添削をお願いします。 よろしくお願いします。 日本とアメリカの考え方や習慣は違うように見えるが、実は、それ程大きな差はない。 Ways of thinking and customs of American and Japanese seem to be very different ,but in fact,there is less difference between the two than we expected. バイオテクノロジーは生命の根幹に関わる科学であり、次世代に与える影響は計り知れない。 どんな優れたものもそうであるように、その社会への是非を決めるのは利用の仕方にかかっている。 Biotechnology is science which has something to do with a basis of life,having a tremendous impact on the next generation. As of other good things,it is the way of using it that determines between right and wrong for society. 英語のエッセイの授業で身近な題材に対して論文を書くように学生に求めたら、蚊をつつましやかな生き物である、と展開して見せた学生がかつていた。 みんなに嫌がられているものを逆から記述して見せたのである。 文章を書くときはユーモア、つまり、対象に対する視点が大切であることを教えている。 When I asked my students to write an English essay about familiar subject once ,there was one of them who wrote an idea that the mosquit is a very humble insect. He interpreted its disadvantages as its advantages. I taught them what matters when writing a sentence is a sense of humor,that is,the way of interpretation on a subject.

• among と between の違い、さらには difference の単複について

(1) The difference between Nobita, Jaian and Shizuka is that Nobita and Jaian are boys, while Shizuka is a girl. (2) The differences between Nobita, Jaian and Shizuka are that Nobita and Jaian are manly and unkind, while Shizuka is unmanly and kind. 上のように作文してみたのですが、特に among や because の使い方に関して、また、difference の単複に関して、間違いはないですか?

• 英検2級ライティングの添削お願い致します。

英検2級ライティングの添削をお願い致します。 またもっとこうした方が良いなどのアドバイスも貰えると嬉しいです!! Q, In recent years, many people make good use of E-books. Do you think E-books are better than peper books? A, I think that e-books are better than peper books. There are two reasons. The first is I think that E-books is convenience. This is because, I can find things that I want to know early. The second is E-books is smaller than paper books. For example, when I bring around it, I don’t need to have a lot. So I am able to bring around easily. For these reasons, I think that E-books are better than peper books. よろしくお願いします。

• 添削お願いします

Through these speeches, I felt that I got to be able to tell the audience my speech more than the XX speech. I felt that I was conscious of my outline in order to speak frequently in XX speech. 「これらのスピーチを通して、わたしはXXスピーチよりも観客に伝えることができるようになっていたと感じた。XXスピーチでは流暢に話すためにアウトライン(概要)を意識しすぎているように感じた。」 *英語で言いやすいように日本語の表現を少し変えている箇所があるかもしれないです。 こちらの英文を添削して欲しいです。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の和訳なのですが、、、

学生なんですけど英語が苦手で なかなか和訳できません だから教えてください 題名:Written Language 内容: Children between the ages of two and five are able to acquire a spoken language without much help. Parents may help by correcting mistakes, but children learn to speak mostly by listening to the people around them. They imitate the sounds that they have heard. On the other hand, writing systems must be taught. In Japan for example, children learn how to read and write kanji, hiragana, and katakana for a number of years. They have teachers and textbooks to help them. Speech is a very efficient method of communication. No tools are needed. The sounds that are used are made with the lungs, throat, tongue and mouth. Speech is also very quick. Speaking a sentence is much faster than writing it down. Needless to say, speech also has limitations. To begin with, once a sound is made, it disappers forever, so communication is limited to that particular time and place. Ideas that are passed on from person to person must be remembered and repeated precisely. Also, since spoken words are stored only in the minds of the listener, what is spoken can be forgotten or remembered incorrectly. With written language, however, a writer can carefully create sentences that communicate his or her ideas precisely. Once the words are written down, they can be read by anyone who can read that language. 結構長いですがよろしくお願いします

• 英作文の添削お願いします。

物語の伝えかたは様々ある。漫画と小説の違いは、漫画はあらかじめ場面が描写されているが、小説は自分で自由に場面を想像する事ができる。 共通点は早く読むじっくり読むのはその人次第で、途中で読むのを中断してもよいことだ。あまり時間がないという人は2~3時間で映画を観るという人もいる。 There are different ways to tell stories. The difference between cartoons and novels is that in a cartoon scenes are presented as given to readers, while a novel allows readers freedom of imagining where and how the story unfolds. What they have in common is that it's up to the reader whether to read fast or slow, and that stopping reading is also an option. People with not much time on their hands may opt for movies. Most last no longer than two to three hours.

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

For indexed funds, the return equals the benchmark return (minus a ‘tracking error’ that index funds seek to minimize), which eliminates even the indirect nexus between returns and revenue. 上記英文中,特に, indirect nexus between returns and revenueの意味が分かりません。ご指導下さい。

• 緊急です。スピーチコンテスト用の英語、表現や文法の添削をお願いします。

すごく緊急です。今週の土曜日に英語のスピーチコンテストがあります。スピーチ文の文法の訂正や表現の添削をお願いします。 長くなりましたので前半段落、後半段落の2つにわけます。 前半: もし家の中でなんらかの虫と出くわした時、あなたはどうしますか。 What will you do when you come across something insect? 大概の人は「殺虫剤を使う」と答えるでしょう。見境も無く殺虫剤を噴射し、その死を見届け、ひと安心することでしょう。 Most of people answered,”Using insecticide.” And, they feel relief to find that the insect would die. After they jet out it to insect, 「害虫や不快な虫は殺したほうが快適に過ごせるでしょ」と彼らは言います。 They say that “We can’t help killing insects because we would live in comfort rather than live with live with any insects.” しかし、まったく虫がいない生活は本当に快適でしょうか。 However, is it really comfortable there are no insect around us? 「益虫」という言葉があります。 Do you know the word “useful insect”? 田畑の害虫を抑制するシステムとして、クモは害虫を食べているため、害虫進入時に即座に天敵としての効果を発揮できる大切な生き物とされています。 Spider is well known that is checking any vermin in field. しかしここで殺虫剤を使うとどうなるのでしょうか。 But, what will be happened in field if people use insecticide? 世代交代の早い害虫たちはたいていの農薬にすぐに耐性を身につけてしまいますが、クモは世代交代が遅いのでなかなか身につけられません。 Soon, Vermin will get tolerance to insecticide, but spider can’t get tolerance because of they are later to alternation of generations. そのため、農薬をまき続けることでクモが激減するけれど害虫は死なず、どんどん害虫だけ増えていくという現象がかつて問題になりました。 So, there was a big problem that spider will more and more decrease, but vermin will more and more increaser. このように殺虫剤の使用は、場合によっては害虫より天敵のほうが死んでしまい、かえって害虫が増えることにもなります。 This is an example that vicious circle. 現在の私たちはそれを知ってか知らずか、すぐに虫を不潔・不快と嫌い、殺虫剤を使おうとします。 Now, we will be using insecticide, when they will found insect in their house.

• 英文の添削

自由な時間のすごし方について英文を書く問題です。 I often read books in my freetime. Reading books is very important and very interesting to me. Reading books give me a knowledge to be a scientist. と書きました。添削をよろしくお願いします。