• 締切済み

andの意味

Bob sticks to his moral principles and believes that honesty pays off in the long run この英文のandの意味を教えてください。 お願いします。

• ggdes
  • お礼率75% (3/4)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数5

みんなの回答

• ur2c
  • ベストアンサー率63% (264/416)
回答No.4

ちょっとついでに。 アメリカで報告とか論文のような実用文の書き方を教わると、このような and の使い方は悪文の例として出て来ます。独立な文をつなげるには and の代わりに semicolon ";" を使い、 Bob sticks to his moral principles; believes that honesty pays off in the long run. と書け、と言われます。確かにこの方が and の機能を判断する必要がなくなって、はっきりします。だから wathavy さんの Bob never lies, because he thinks honesty will pay. は、さらに良いと言われるだろうと思います。

• wathavy
  • ベストアンサー率22% (505/2263)
回答No.3

Bob sticks to his moral principles. He believes that honesty pays off in the long run. が元々の文章だとして、一文にすると、 Bob sticks to his moral principles and he believes that honesty pays off in the long run. としてみました。なんとなく、heが二度出てきて、くどい感じがしたので、 Bob sticks to his moral principles and believes that honesty pays off in the long run. と heを省略した。 and は 文を並べているつなぎの接続詞です。 元の文は、 Bob never lies, because he thinks honesty will pay. のほうが楽でいいですね。 なんか、長ったらしくてまどろっこしい感じがします。 暇つぶしの小説にはそのほうがいいのかもしれませんが。

ggdes
質問者

お礼

詳しく説明していただきありがとうございます。

• mabomk
  • ベストアンサー率40% (1414/3521)
回答No.2

Bob sticks to his moral principles and believes that honesty pays off in the long run. この「and」には、、、、 「therefore」「so」「,that's why」将又「and accordngly」の意味を内包しているような気もしますが、わざわざそんな接続詞や副詞なんかを使うこともなく、普通に読めばそれらの意味は読み取れますが、、、 答えになっていないかも知れない(泣)

ggdes
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

• Ahiru-san
  • ベストアンサー率49% (50/102)
回答No.1

「そして」 文を二つつなぐ順接の接続詞です。 それで何か疑問でも?

ggdes
質問者

お礼

独学で英語を勉強していて、自分の答えに自信がなかったので 質問しました。 申し訳ないですが、補足はありません。 ちなみにこの英文はDUOに載っている物です 回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• これはカンマの後にandいりませんか?新約聖書の一節です

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. この ”, that whoever believes ...”のthatはso thatのsoの省略(文語)だと思いますが、and thatとしなくていいのでしょうか? 要は、同じ種類の副詞節を並列する場合、andは必要なのでしょうか? カンマに接続詞の働きはないと覚えているので混乱しています。 例外ということですか?

• 和訳お願いします!

Barkley believes that what he does in his private life is his own business and should not be important to anyone else. I do not think it's your decision to make. お願いします(>_<)

• これはどういう意味ですか?

これはどういう意味ですか? That allowed sand a gift -a copper beer mug- to 130 people in all, including colleagues in his company, business associates and his private golfing friends.

• 『The Moth and the Star』

James Thurberの『The Moth and the Star』という短編からの質問です。 (この英文で物語は終わります) http://okwave.jp/qa/q8924851.html(こちらの英文から続いています) The moth left his father's house, but he would not fly around street lamps and he would not fly around house lamps. He went right on trying to reach the star, which was four and one-third light years, or twenty-five trillion miles, away. The moth thought it was just caught in the top branches of an elm. He never did reach the star, but he went right on trying, night after night, and when he was a very, very old moth he began to think that he really had reached the star and he went around saying so. This gave him a deep and lasting pleasure, and he lived to a great old age. His parents and his brothers and his sisters had all been burned to death when they were quite young. Moral: Who flies afar from the sphere of our sorrow is here today and here tomorrow. The moth thought it was just caught in the top branches of an elm.のところなのですが itはthe starですか? 星がニレの枝のてっぺんに引っかかっていると思った、ということですか? catchは引っかかるという意味でしょうか?(受動態で引っかけられている?) he began to think that he really had reached the starについてですが 過去完了形になっているので、すでにもう星に届いていたのではないかと思い始めた、ということでしょうか?(根拠はないけれど、そう思い込んだという感じでしょうか?) Moral: Who flies afar from the sphere of our sorrow is here today and here tomorrow.について 最後の教訓(寓意)の英文の構造と訳がわかりません。 出だしがwhoで始まっているのに最後に?がないのはなぜでしょうか? Who flies afar from the sphere of our sorrowが主部、 is here today and here tomorrowが述部ですか? Moralのところが訳せないのですが この話の中の蛾は蛾の本分は果たさなかったけれども 自分の夢を追ってそれはそれで幸せだったのではないか、という印象です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• occurの意味とAnd it would occur that whenのitとthatの指すものは?

And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day; and they sent and invited their three sisters to eat and drink with them. And it would occur that when the banquet days had gone round the circuit, Job would send and sanctify them; and he got up early in the morning and offered up burnt sacrifices according to the number of all of them; for, said Job, “maybe my sons have sinned and have cursed God in their heart.” That is the way Job would do always. という英文を訳さねばなりませんが、この2文目の前半の訳し方を教えてください。occurの意味とその前後のitとthatの訳し方に苦戦してます。 宿題の説話の英訳ですが、聖書の一文のようです。 お願いします。

• 意味を教えてください

Here's where the conundrum lies: my mother wants Bob to have a vasectomy. This is so if in the event that Bob is sexually abused by anyone, nobody gets pregnant and gets any unfair leverage over Bob. This is soとunfair leverage over Bobの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• allの意味?

allの意味? NHKラジオ英会話講座より One lie led to another until I couldn't remember what was true and what was an excuse.It all served to remind me that honesty is the best policy. ・・・・。そのお陰で、正直が最善の策であるってことがわかった。 質問: It all served to remind me that honesty is the best policy.での質問です。 (1)直訳してみました。どこかおかしいですね? ”正直が最善の策であること”その全てが私に思い出させる役目をした。 (2)itはthat以下ですね?それとも前文であればどの部分ですか? (3)allは訳されていません。どういう意味になりますか? (4)serve toは「~する役目をする」でいいですか?   (5)「そのお陰で」に該当する英文はどれでしょうか? 以上

• どのような意味でしょうか

I’m a 25-year-old woman getting married in the summer. My mother is very old-fashioned and proper, and does not believe in sex before marriage. She also believes that my husband and I are virgins and will remain that way until our wedding night. Both of us have been sexually active since high school! My older sister told me that my mom is planning on giving me a sex talk and explaining how everything works and “how to please a man” before my wedding. I would like nothing less than to listen to my mother explain sex to me, would like nothing less than toはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• This spring I went to Australia to

This spring I went to Australia to stay with Bob's family. Bob stayed with our family in Japan for two months last year. There were Mr.Brown and Mrs.Brown and Bob in the family. のような英文を見たのですが、どうしても3行目に違和感を感じてしまいます。There is のうしろが新情報だったら固有名詞も可能だと聞いたのですが、Bobはすでにでてきてるし・・・ この英文が正しいかどうか教えてください。 もしま違いだとしたら、正しい英文も教えてください。

• on a day in and day out~

You have to be able to embody these principles on a day in and day out basis. この文章の訳を教えてください。 よろしくお願いいたします。