• 締切済み

エウロパ(木星の衛星)の海洋に生命が存在する可能性について書かれた問題で解らないところがあるので教えてください。

以下の英文に書かれた問題を解いているのですが、いまいち問題の意味が解らず解けません。一応、自分で翻訳したものも載せたので解る方いらっしゃいましたら教えてください。 英文: you have begun to characterize a sample obtained from the depths of the oceans on Europa, one of jupiter's moons. much to your surprise, the sample contains a life-from that grows well in a rich broth. your preliminary analysis shows that it is cellular and contains DNA, RNA, and protein. when you show your results to a colleague, she suggests that your sample was contaminated with an organism from earth. what approaches might you try to distinguish between contamination and a novel cellular life-from based on DNA, RNA, and protein? 訳: あなた達は、1つの試料が、エウロパの海の深中から得られ、木星の月の内の1つとして特徴付け始めました。非常にあなた達が思いがけない事に、その試料は、豊富なブロスでよく成長する生命を含みます。あなた達の予備的解析は、それが細胞質であり、DNA、RNAそしてタンパク質を含むことを示します。あなた達は、あなた達の同役にあなた達の研究成果を示すとき、彼女はあなた達の試料が地球から生命体が混入されたことを示唆します。どんなアプローチが、DNA、RNA、タンパク質に基づいて、混入と新しい細胞生命との間を区別することを試みるだろうか?

みんなの回答

回答No.4

もうひとつの方の質問を見て、間違って解釈していると感じたので、ついでにもうひとつ。 "novel cellular life-from based on DNA, RNA, and protein"は、「DNA,RNA,蛋白質が基本になっている細胞性の生命」と訳すべきです。 もし「基づいて」の意味で使うのならば、普通は"what approach"の前(文頭)に"based on DNA, RNA, and protein"が書かれているはずです。 ついでに全訳(ちょっと意訳)すると、 あなたは、木星の月のひとつである、エウロパの海洋深くから得られた試料を解析し始めたところです。 驚いたことに、その試料は培養液の中でよく育つ生命体を含んでいました。 予備解析によって、それが細胞性でDNA,RNAと蛋白質を含んでいることが分かりました。 あなたがその結果を同僚に見せたところ、彼女はあなたの試料に地球の生物が混入したのかもしれないと言いました。 混入とDNA,RNAと蛋白質を基本とする新規の(=未発見の)細胞性生命体とを区別するために、あなたはどのような方法を取ってみますか?

回答No.3

再度の回答ですが、 実際この問題はかなり難しくて、多分模範解答は存在しないと思います。 論理的に考える力を見る問題だと思います。 混入でないことを明確に示すなら、エウロパのサンプルが地球のどの生物とも異なる(類縁関係にない)ことを示せればいいでしょう。 解析の方法は生物学の分野の数だけいろいろと考えられるので、自分の得意分野と絡めて論じられればいいと思います。(形態や細胞小器官、セントラルドグマ、ゲノム配列など) 地球の生物で高度に保存されていて、生命の起源が異なれば例え偶然にでも同じにはならないであろう要素(塩基やアミノ酸の種類、トリプレットコードなど)をまず見るべきかもしれません。 いろいろ書いてはみたものの自信はないので、身近な先生に聞いてみるのが一番いいと思います。 多分快くいろいろ語ってくれると思います。

回答No.2

多分、life-fromはlife-formの書き間違い? collegueは研究室の同僚ですね。 翻訳は大体合ってると思いますよ。 意味は、 エウロパから生命らしきサンプルを発見したけれど、 同僚はそれは地球のサンプルが間違って混入したんじゃないかと疑っている。 どうやったら混入じゃないと示せるだろう? 面白い問題ですね。

capsule14
質問者

補足

お恥ずかしいことに翻訳がちょっと間違えてましたね。訂正の方有難うございます。これで問題の意味がわかったので解けそうな気がします。もし解けそうになかったときのために、ヒント的なものがありましたら教えていただければ幸いです。宜しくお願いします。

回答No.1

こんばんは!capsule14 それって、唯物学論者においての一説に過ぎないでしょう。 実際にエウロパに生命体を確認されたのですか? それから、突発的に宇宙の一部が崩壊してしまっても無条件に地球は、ララバイってとこですか。

関連するQ&A

• この英文を和訳してください。

アメリカの友人からメールが届きました。 すみませんが、和訳をお願いします。 ah my friend. a time that is bitter / sweet. bitter for your country / sweet for you to be passing from one time in your life to another. I pray that your time of celebration goes well and that you are able to enjoy yourself. I chear you on for your desire to help in relief work by volunteering. I will pray for your safety and that you might be a big help and comfort to many of the people. Please keep me up to date on your activities.

• もし他の惑星で新しい生命を発見した時、どうやって地球から混入した生命でない事を証明できると思いますか。

もし他の惑星で新しい生命を発見した時、DNA、RNA、タンパク質に基づいて、どうやって地球から混入した生命でない事を証明できると思いますか。という問題を解いているのですがいまいち答えが出なくて困っています。因みに発見された生物は、エウロパ(木星の衛星)の海洋で生命が発見されたという仮定となっています。宜しくお願いします。

• 物理での英語がよく分からないので質問させてください。

物理での英語がよく分からないので質問させてください。 Protein dissociation from and binding to DNA were carried out by applying a constant force and monitoring the DNA extension. Binding of single protein to DNA decreases the DNA end-to-end contour length by 3 nm. At equilibrium, the protein is bound to DNA. After the system was allowed to reach equilibrium, constant force was applied to DNA (two ends were pulled) and the DNA extension were measured. You can assume that the DNA is extended to its contour length and that for the sake of simplicity, under selected conditions you can ignore the DNA elasticity. 文章中の"DNA is extended to its contour length"というのがどういう意味なのかよく分かりません。これは「DNAが伸び得る最大まで伸びる」という解釈でいいのでしょうか?つまりDNAの両端を引っ張ると3nm伸びるという事で合ってるのでしょうか?

• 英文和訳の添削をお願いします。

It is generally belived that primordial creatures consisted of RNA, and that RNA as a molecular carrier of genomic information eventually was supplanted by DNA. RNA からなる生物、すなわち遺伝情報の分子キャリアーは結局はDNAに取って代わられた。 以上のように訳してみました。DNAに関する論文からです。eventually の位置はsupplanted の後ろに置く方が自然な気がするのですが、どうなんでしょうか

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します!

Today, four years have passed since you departed for heaven. I related to your early life and your music, and that was the start of everything for me. You brought a shining light of hope to my life and saved me from my problems. You remain the greatest hero of all for me, and I’m so grateful to you. I miss you.

• 何て書いて(読む)あるんですか?partIV

You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon. You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.”

• 和訳お願いいたします。

And from time to time I take a quick look at your picture .. It's the first time I bought chocolates from that shop ... I hope you like them. sigh ... I can't get enough of you ...

• これを日本語にしてください

Glad to see you had a safe trip home. Hope you had a great time in Brisbane. Both Duncan & I enjoyed having you stay with us. You were a pleasure to have and a credit to your mother and your school. Hope to hear from you soon. これを日本語に訳してください。

• Internal Revenue Service IRS. gov(アメリカ国税局) からFAXが来ました

突然、自宅(日本)にこの英文FAXがきました。心当たりがなく戸惑っています。少し訳したのですがよくわかりません。正しい訳を知りたいと思います。長い文なので、最初と最後の部分だけタイピングします。 Dear Sir. Our records indicate that you are a non-resident alien. As a result, you are exempted from United States of America Tax reporting and withholdings, on interest paid you on your account and other financial dealing to protect your exemption from tax on your account and other financial benefit in rectifying your exemption status. Therefore, you are to authenticate the following by completing form W-8BEN,and return to us as soon as possible through the fax number:+1-202-354-4867 ..... We appreciate your cooperation in helping us protect your exempt status and also update our records.    よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳お願いします

ツイッターで突然のアカウント凍結されてメールしたんだけど英語で全くわかりません。 翻訳サイトで翻訳したんだけど意味が全くわかりませんでした。 何方かわかりやすい翻訳お願いします。 Hello, We understand that you're contesting an account suspension. Please be sure to read this entire email; you will need to take further action in order to reopen your ticket and trigger a review of your account. Twitter suspends accounts for a variety of reasons: • If your account was suspended for aggressive following behavior, you should have received an email notification to the address associated with your Twitter account. You'll need to confirm that you've removed all prohibited following automation from your account, and will stop any manual aggressive following behavior. To expedite your appeal process, please review our Best Practices page if you haven't already, and then reply to this ticket with a confirmation that you understand our policies and will not engage in any prohibited following behavior. • Please take a minute to review the Twitter Rules. • If you received an email from admin@twitter.com saying 'you're being suspended' or that we're going delete your account, you're safe; the email is fake. More information here https://support.twitter.com/articles/204820-safety-fake-twitter-emails • While we strive to avoid mistakes, it's also possible that your account was suspended in error. If after reviewing the Rules, you have no idea why your account was suspended, just reply to this email indicating as much, and we'll take another look at your case. Our apologies if the error turns out to be ours. Thanks, Twitter Support ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Responding to this email will reopen this ticket and put your ticket in queue for support. If you do not reply, your case will be closed. Note that you need to reply from the address this mail was sent to. If you use an alias (such as username+alias@gmail.com) to manage your account, ensure that your reply comes from the alias address or your ticket may not be seen by our support staff. Please note, we cannot accept email attachments at this time; please include all information in the body of your request. Your request summary is: