解読できない英詩:Richard Eberhartの[The Groundhog]

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英語の詩を読んでいたのですが、一部分がよく分からない文で構成されています。
  • Richard Eberhartの[The Groundhog]という詩の一部で、意味が理解できません。
  • 詩は変わった文型や語順を取る場合があり、そのために訳すことが難しいかもしれません。訳のお助けをお願いします。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の詩を読んでいたのですが、よく分からない文があります。

タイトルのとおりです。 どなたか、ご教授願います。 Richard Eberhartの[The Groundhog]という詩の一部です。 ----------------------------------------------------- Inspecting close his maggots' might And seething cauldron of his being Half with loathing,half with a strange love, Until I had bent down on my knees Praying for joy in the sight of decay. ---------------------------------------------------- 以上の部分が一応自分自身で訳してみたのですが、 文型も何もごちゃごちゃになってしまい、訳せません。 英語の詩は変わった文型(語順)をとるのでしょうか・・・? 日本の体言止めや倒置、などのような。 どなたか、訳していただけたら幸いです。 お願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • miknnik
  • ベストアンサー率48% (249/513)
回答No.1

これはウジ虫がわいた groundhog の屍骸をみつけた作者のリアクションを描写しているものです。 Inspecting close:勿論これを行っているのは作者です his maggots' might And seething cauldron of his being:inspect の目的語になります Half with loathing,half with a strange love:inspect を説明するフレーズです 詩は訳してしまうとオリジナルの言語の持つ語感が失われるので、できるだけ原語で理解した方が納得いく解釈が得られると思います。Cauldron という単語にしても、マクベスに登場する魔女達がかきまわしているような「大釜」を意味する他に、a state of distress and unrest という意味もあります。この詩においては、この二つの意味のどちらかを選ぶのではなく、両方とも groundhog の屍骸の描写に当てはまります。この動物の存在の器であり、生から死に移り変わる distress and unrest の状態でもあるからです。 詩は metaphors, similes が多く、文面に出て来る言葉を訳すだけでは作者の本意は伝わりません。インターネットではシェークスピアから現代の詩人までの作品が読め、解説が紹介されています。その解説、解釈を丸写しするのは「剽窃」となりみつかると厳しく罰せられますが、いくつかそのような記事を読んで参考にされる分には問題ないと思います。

関連するQ&A

• 祈りのポーズ

よく、教会の十字架の前で人がお祈りをしているポーズがあります。指が交互になるように胸の前で手を組み、ひざまずいているポーズですが、付帯状況のwithを使って言うとどうなるでしょうか。She is praying with her hands ???? in front of her breast and with her knees on the floor. どうも、英語になりません。

• [英語]()に入るものを教えて下さい><

1. Little () that Keiko would fail the exam. (1) I thought (2) did I think (3) I didn(t think (4) didn't I think 2. I wonder how much () to get a digital camera. (1) does it cost (2) it costs (3) costs it (4) costs 3. An accident deprived (). (1) his sight (2) him of his sight (3) him his sight (4) his sight from him 4. English physicist Isaac Newton () to be the father of modern science. (1) says (2) is said (3) tells (4) is told 5. () seems to be something wrong with the engine. (1) It (2) What (3) There (4) That 6. Many cancers can be cured if () at an early stage. (1) discover (2) to discover (3) discovering (4) discovered 7. () was it that won first prize in the speech contest? (1) Who (2) Where (3) What (4) How 8. () is important in learning English is to practice it every day. (1) It (2) That (3) What (4) Nothing

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

I spoke with Filter frontman Richard Patrick for nearly an hour yesterday on the phone, Patrick discussed everything in his career from his early days in Nine Inch Nails, Filter's hey day in the 90's and early 2000's, his time with STP's DeLeo brothers in the supergroup Army of Anyone, and his return to Filter. Patrick was very candid, discussing the proudest moments of his career and his struggles overcoming addiction a decade ago. He even did an impression of Billy Corgan! ※ 『Filter』『Nine Inch Nails』『Army of Anyone』はバンド名、『Richard Patrick』『Billy Corgan』は人物名です。

• 英語

put everything tidy, deputation, becoming dignity, he put his nose in the air, frown severely, took no notice of, caught sight of, ditch, whirled through the air, mud,fashionable, recruit, nerves, shattered jewelled, mottled これらの意味を教えてください。 本文は以下の通りです。 The next day the workmen came to put everything tidy. This is evidently a deputation. I will receive them with becoming dignity so he put his nose in the air,and began to frown severely. They took no notice of him. Then one of them caught sight of him. he threw him over the wall into the ditch. he whirled through the air. he fell into the mud. but no doubt it is some fashionable watering-place, and they have sent me away to recruit my helth. My nerves are certainly very much shattered, and I require rest. Then a litlle Frog, with bright jewelled eyes, and green mottled coat.

• 英語が分からないので教えてください。

次の英文から分かることは、a~cのどれだと思いますか?訳もお願いします。 Richard Carpenter was watching TV at home one day in 1970 when he heard a song on a commercial. It was designed to attract young newlyweds. Richard recognised that it was just the song for Karen to sing and it was recorded in May of that year. To many young couples about to set off on married life it became their theme song. One such couple was Paul and Linda McCartney. Paul says, "Linda and I were just starting out; we kind of identified with `we've Only Just Begun'." 1. a)Richard found a commercial he liked on TV. b)A song on a TV commercial impressed Richard. c)Richard performed songs on TV commercials. 2. a)The commercial encouraged young people to get married. b)The commercial was selling weddings to young people. c)The commercial was aimed at young married couples. 3. a)Richard decided Karen should get married in May. b)Karen wanted to record a TV commercial. c)The song fitted Karen's voice perfectly. 4. a)A loy of young newlyweds identified with the song. b)This song made many young people get married. c)As the Carpenters were married, the song appealed to them. 5. a)The song was very meaningfulto the McCartneys. b)Paul McCartney recorded the song for his wife Linda. c)Paul was kind to his wife because of the song.

• 英語 教えてください

日本文の意味を表すように、空所に適語を入れなさい。 1.私たちは海に面している部屋に泊まった。 We stayed at a room ( ) the ocean. 2.それは会議で検討された議題のうちの一つだ。 It is one of the topics ( ) at the meeting. 3.私は沸騰しているお湯の中に卵を何個か入れた。 I put some eggs in the ( ) water. 4.彼は配達の人に新しい机を部屋まで運んでもらった。 He had his new desk ( ) to his room by the deliverers. 5.英語で言いたいことを理解してもらうのは難しいことだと思った。 I found it difficult to make myself ( ) in English. 6.彼女はイヤホンで音楽を聴きながら、電車を待っていた。 She was waiting for the train, ( ) to music with earphones. 7.彼は教科書を閉じて、その詩を暗記しようとしていた。 He tried to learn the poem by heart with his textbook ( ).

• 文型

文型を教えてください。 The sun was just coming up. I was in my sleeping bag, still half-asleep. We were in bed with a group of wild lions!

• 英語の詩の訳を教えて下さい

殆ど直訳しかできませんでしたが、詩の独特な表現がよくわかりません・・・。 CRAZY JANE TALKS WITH THE BISHOP 司教と狂ったジェーンの会話 I met the Bishop on the road 私は、司教に道で会った。 And much said he and I. そして私たちは多くを語らった。 'Those breasts are flat and fallen now, それらの胸は平らで、いま、落されます Those veins must soon be dry; それらの静脈は、すぐに乾くに違いない Live in a heavenly mansion, 天国のような大邸宅の生活 Not in some foul sty.' 若干の汚れた豚小屋以外で。 'Fair and foul are near of kin, 公平と違反は、似ていて近いです、 And fair needs foul,' I cried. そして、公平さは違反を必要とする、私が叫びました。 'My friends are gone, but that's a truth 私の友人は去った、しかし、それは真実 Nor grave nor bed denied, また、墓もベッドも、否定された Learned in bodily lowliness 孤独を体で学んだ And in the heart's pride. そして、心の誇り 'A woman can be proud and stiff 女性は誇り高く強い When on love intent; 愛に意図した時 But Love has pitched his mansion in しかし、愛は彼の大邸宅を中に投げられた The place of excrement; 排泄物の場所; For nothing can be sole or whole 何も底か、全てになれない That has not been rent.' それは、引き裂かれなかった よろしくお願いします<m(__)m>

• 英語を教えてください。

(1)学校までは歩いてほんの5分の距離です。 (five/ is/ it/ minutes'/ only/ school/ the/ to/ walk/ .) (2)差し当たり、私たちにはこれで間に合います。 (do/ present/ this/ us/ for/ will/ the/ .) (3)その光景は私の胸をドキドキさせるに足るものであった。 The (was / to/ leap/ heart/ sight/ make/ enough/ my). (4)新聞を読むと、世界の情勢がよくわかります。 Newspapers (going on/ informed of/ is/ keep/ what/ will/ you) in the world. 次の各組の文から英文として正しいものをそれぞれ1つずつ選んでください。 (5)a,He started Tokyo dor Hokkaido. b,Did you enjoy yourself at the movie? c,Will you marry with me? d,Please answer to my question. (6)a,I had a strange dream last night. b,I've become to like college life lately. c,Could you teach me the way to the station? d,I want to enter a both. (7)The meat won't keep till tomorrow. (8)Tell me when she comes back. (9)Tell me when she will come back. これを解いてみると、 (1)It is only five minute's walk to the school. (2)This will do us for the present.  (3)The sight was enough to make my heart leap. (4)Newspapers keep you informed of what is going on in the world. (5)b (6)a (7)2文型 (8)3文型 (9)4文型  間違っている箇所があれば教えてください。 ちなみに(7)(8)(9)は先生に間違っていると言われました。

• 英語の文を訳して下さい。

After the first German chlorine-gas attacks, Allied troops were supplied with masks of cotton pads soaked in urine; it had been discovered that the ammonia in the pad neutralised the chlorine. The pads were held over the face until the gas dispersed. Other soldiers preferred to use a handkerchief, sock or flannel body-belt, dampened with a sodium-bicarbonate solution and tied across the mouth and nose, until the gas passed. Soldiers found it difficult to fight like this, and attempts were made to develop a better means of protection against gas attacks. By July 1915, soldiers received efficient gas masks and anti-asphyxiation respirators. Private W. Hay of the Royal Scots arrived in Ypres just after the chlorine-gas attack on 22 April 1915: We knew there was something was wrong. We started to march towards Ypres but we couldn't get past on the road with refugees coming down the road. We went along the railway line to Ypres and there were people, civilians and soldiers, lying along the roadside in a terrible state. We heard them say it was gas. We didn't know what the Hell gas was. When we got to Ypres we found a lot of Canadians lying there dead from gas the day before, poor devils, and it was quite a horrible sight for us young men. I was only twenty so it was quite traumatic and I've never forgotten nor ever will forget it. — Private W. Hay of the Royal Scots The French soldiers were naturally taken by surprise. Some got away in time, but many, alas! not understanding the new danger, were not so fortunate, and were overcome by the fumes and died poisoned. Among those who escaped nearly all cough and spit blood, the chlorine-attacking the mucous membrane. The dead were turned black at once. About 15 minutes after letting the gas escape the Germans got out of their trenches. Some of them were sent on in advance, with masks over their heads, to ascertain if the air had become breathable. Having discovered that they could advance, they arrived in large numbers in the area on which the gas had spread itself some minutes before, and took possession of the arms of the dead men. They made no prisoners. Whenever they saw a soldier whom the fumes had not quite killed they snatched away his rifle and advised him to lie down "to die better." — The Daily Chronicle (26 April 1915) Battle of Frezenberg (8–13 May) The Germans moved field artillery forward, placing three army corps opposite the 27th and 28th Divisions on the Frezenberg ridge (50.868°N 2.950°E). The German attack began on 8 May with a bombardment of the 83rd Brigade in trenches on the forward slope of the ridge, but the first and second infantry assaults were repelled by the survivors. However, the third German assault of the morning pushed the defenders back. Although the neighbouring 80th Brigade repulsed the attack, the 84th Brigade was pushed back; this left a 2-mile (3.2 km) gap in the line.