イギリスの放浪者についての話

このQ&Aのポイント
  • イギリスにはPaddyのような典型的な放浪者が何万と存在している。
  • Paddyは外見にこだわり、自身の服装や身だしなみに気を使っていた。
  • 彼は売るつもりのない品々を持ち歩いていたが、新聞やポケットナイフは売り払っていた。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳の確認をしてください。

下の英文から和訳に挑戦しましたが、自信がないので添削お願いします。 Paddyは2週間の連れ合いであり、彼が最初の放浪者だったのをまったくもってよく分かっていたので、私は彼についての話を伝えたい。彼は典型的な放浪者であり、彼みたいな人はイギリスでは何万といると思う。  彼はやや背が高く、およそ35歳であり、白髪に近い金髪で潤った蒼い瞳をしていた。顔立ちはよかったが、頬は痩せこけていて、パンとマーガリンの食事が起因するような灰色の汚い色合いをした外見であった。彼はツイード製のサファリ・ジャケットとふるい夜会用のズボン、そしてそこにかぶさる三つ編で殆どのほう両者達よりも数段よく着飾られた。明らかに三つ編は彼の中では列記とした名残惜しい断片であり、崩れてきたらもう一度とき直そうと気にかけていた。彼は外見に念入りで、売るつもりもないかみそりと靴ブラシを持ち歩いていたが、彼の記事とポケットナイフすら売ってからずいぶんになる。  Paddy was my mate for about the next forthnight, and, as he was the first tramp I had known at all well, I want to give an account of him. I believe that he was a typical tramp and there are tens of thousands in England like him. He was a tallish man, aged about thirty-five, with fair hairs going grizzled and watery blue eyes. His features were good, but his cheeks had lanked and had that greyish, dirty-in-the-grain look that comes of a bread and margarine diet. He was dressed, rather better than most tramps, in a tweed shooting-jacket and a pair of old evening trousers with the braid still on them, Evidently the braid figured in his mind as a lingering scrap of respectability, and he took care to sew it on again when it came loose. He was careful of his appearance altogether and carried a razor and bootbrush that he would not sell. though he had sold his 'papers' and even his pocket-knife long since.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ydna
  • ベストアンサー率63% (179/281)
回答No.1

ー拙訳ー Paddy はそれからおよそ2週間、私の相棒だった。それに、とにかく私が仲良くなった最初の放浪者だったから、彼についての話をしてみたい。彼は典型的な放浪者で、彼みたいな人はイギリスには五万といると思う。  彼は上背があって、年の頃は35、白髪になりかけの金髪で、潤んだ青い目をしていた。顔立ちはいいが、頬はこけて、パンとマーガリンの食事が原因で、それらしく肌がくすみ、荒れて、汚れている様子だった。 彼は着飾っていた。たいていの放浪者よりましだった。ツイードの狩猟用のジャケットに古びた夜会用のズボン、縁取りがまだ付いていた。明らかに、その縁取りは、消しがたい社会的地位のかけらとして彼の心の中で重要な位置を占めていた。ほつれそうになると、くり返しそれを縫い付けるように心がけた。全体的に外見には気を配り、売るつもりのないひげ剃りと靴ブラシを持ち歩いていた。『身分証明書』、それにポケットナイフさえ、売ってしまってずいぶんになるのだが。 ー keys ー mate は、この場合、「連れ合い」では「配偶者」の意味に取られかねません。 筆者は、米語ではなく英語の writer だと思います。 the next fortnight = 主節が過去形で、「the next +時」なら、その過去時から「次の」の意味です。 the first tramp (whom) I had known... I believed that.... は、悩みました。通例、目的節の that 節が2つの時、後のthat は省略されません。でも、there are が、目的節の頭の時には、通例、that は省略されます。結局、there are 以下を believe の目的節に考えました。 tens of thousands = 貴訳が正しいのですが、一応、よく似た意味の慣用表現が日本語にもありましたので、それを使いました。 that greyish, dirty-in-the-grain look that = 前の that は後方照応です。the が強くなった感じです(訳出しなくてもいいと思いますが……)。 He was dressed, = be dressed で「着こなす/盛装・正装する」自動詞的な訳語になります。 shooting-jacket = サファリジャケットとは、少しイメージが違います。google の イメージ で、"shooting jacket" を検索してみて下さい。 braid = 組紐で作られた縁取り。イメージとしては、騎兵隊の軍服や船長さんの制服などにある縁取りです。それがズボンに……。 figured = 自動詞 後、訳語として注意したいのが、 respectability, to sew it on again, "papers" です。 特に、"papers" は、直後に、 >Nevertheless, one would have known him for a tramp a hundred yards away. とあるから、「身分証明書』で、つじつまが合うように思います。 以上、少しでもお役に立てたでしょうか?★★

cielayu
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます!!! papersの意味などに苦労したので大変助かりました!!

その他の回答 (1)

• chiiko200
  • ベストアンサー率29% (20/68)
回答No.2

その後の約二週間、パディは私と行動を共にした。浮浪者のなかで最初に深く観察できたのが彼であったので、彼について少し話してみたい。 彼は浮浪者として典型的なタイプで、きっと英国中では何万人もいるのだろうと思えた。 背は高い方で年のころは35歳くらい。白髪交じりの金髪で、潤んだ蒼い瞳をしていた。整った顔立ちではあったが、パンとマーガリンだけしか食べていないように頬がこけ、顔色も悪かった。 ツイードのハンティングジャケットを着て、モールのついたくたびれた正装のズボンをはいた彼は、浮浪者のなかではもっともまともな服装といえた。彼にとって、ズボンについたモールが一片のプライドの名残りとなっていたのは明らかで、たるむたびにきちんと直していたものだった。彼は自分の外見に気を使っていて、ペーパーナイフやポケットナイフはずいぶん前に売ってしまっていたのに、かみそりと靴ブラシは、困った時にも売ろうとはせず、常に携帯していた。 日本語の文章としての自然さを優先したので、大幅に意訳ですが。ご参考までに。

関連するQ&A

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトではわかりづらかったので質問しました。 almoner? がこちらのプリントのミスなのか辞書でもでてきませんでした。 誤字はないと思います。 For most of his life he had worked as a commercial artist. "I did a bit of tickling" delicate lettering and design for advertising blocks. In his late sixties he experienced long spells of illness. When he was able to work he went as bottlewasher to a dairy. He was obliged to gibe up work finally because of ill-health and growing infirmity at the age of seventy-two. Since the death of his wife his social activities had contracted. He did not get up for long and rarely went out, except at week-ends for his pension and his shopping. Even his visits to an infirm brother living some miles away had fallen off. "I used to go over and see him every Tuesday night last year up to that fog we had in November. Then I just lay on my bed coughing my and coughing. Coughing all day and night, thinking my time had come. But it wasn't to be." He regretted not having children, especially a daughter, who "might have stood by me when I got old", and he had no nephews or nieces living in London. The neighbours saw little of him. Next door was "Mrs Lipstick and Powder, that's what I calls her, always going out." On the other side was "Mrs Fly-by-night. She rushes past me on the stairs now, like some of the others, without asking how I am. Not that I mind. But they used to do it and since I came out of hospital and go around just like a decrepit old man decrepit, yes - I suppose they don't like to ask how I am in case they feel they should do something. But there - life's like that, isn't it?" He had lost touch with all his friends and did not approve of old people's clubs. "They're all clicks of decrepit old people." His opinion of national assistance officials, doctors, almoners, and nurses was favourable, except that sometimes they "kept you in the dark" or "treated you like a little child". He had refused offers of a home help, mainly, it appeared, from a sense of privacy, shame of his home, misunderstanding about payment, and suspicion of the sort of woman who would come. His memories of contacts with doctors and hospitals were extremely vivid and he recalled at length some of his experiences. He talked about an almoner who was "a lovely looking party", about his new dentures, "I don't wear the top, it's more comfortable', and with pride about his one perfect faculty, his eyesight. On occasions when he could scarcely walk it never occurred to him to ask his doctor to visit him; he preferred to make painful journeys to the surgery.

• 和訳お願いします

Maxim didn't run to New York and give his opinion to a newspaper,but went to his laboratory and began trying to make a lamp after Edison's ideas.He had no success,however,and after a few weeks sent to Menlo Park an emissary who got in touch with Boehm.It was also said that the agent approached another of our men.The deportment of Boehm changed perceptibly and soon begame suspicious. Hw was changing his allegiance to that of Maxim.In fact,he soon departed Menlo Park and entered that electrician's employ.This as far I am aware was the only defection that ever occured at our laboratory in those early days.In a few months Boehm managed to place the Maxim laboratory incondition so that it was able to produce some incandescent lamps that had their light-giving element made of paper.While at Menlo Park Boehm had had the oppotunity of watching all the various processes by which Edison made a practical lamp,and that acquired knowledge he imparted to Maxim.With the compensation he received,he was enabled to return to Germany and study.After receiving the degree of Ph.D. from the University of Freiburg in 1886,he returned to America.

• 和訳

これの和訳お願いしますO(><;)(;><)O ↓ ↓ A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealer's showroom,knowing his father could well afford it. As graduation day approached the young man waited for signs that his father had bought the car. Finally,on the morning of his graduation,his father called him into his private study. His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son,and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautifully wrapped gift box. Curious,but somewhat disappointed,the young man opened the box and found a lovely,leather-bound Bible,with theyouog man'sname embossed in gold. Angry,he raised his voice to his father and said,“With all your money,you give me a Bible?” and stormed out of house,leaving the Bible.

• 和訳をお願いします!

和訳をお願いします! I think that he’s an incredible dreamer, incredibly naïve, he’s incredibly smart in what he wants to be smart at he’s one of those guys that knows ten thousand little things but doesn’t know much about one big thing and it was really fun, it was really fun to read and... Again there was something inspiring about it, there was something child like about it. There was something oddly brave about it and the thing that was very cool about the part to me was that he’s a simple guy and in his simplicity he doesn’t over think the world. And so he just lets the world happen to him and I think that that’s a blessing a lot of the time. ある俳優のインタビューです。 自分の役柄について聞かれ答えているのですが、どうしても意味が理解できないんです。。。 長文ですが宜しくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 和訳

The Leales were very worried about Soseki’s mental problems. They recommended him to try bike-riding,a popular hobby in Britain at the time. Soseki followed their advice and began bike-riding. His cycling trips through the parks let him get back in touch with the world around him. This may have helped his mental condition. He even wrote about his poor cycling skills in a comical essay,”A Bike-riding Journal.” Thanks to the kindness of the people around him,Soseki recovered. In October 1902,he took a trip to Scotland for a week. It was his only sightseeing trip while in Britain,and he had a wonderful time. He finally felt some joy come back to his life. In December of that year,with 400 books he had bought,he left for Japan,returning in late January 1903. In one essay Soseki wrote: “My two years in London were the most unhappy two years of my life.” Soseki suffered a lot,but out of his suffering he learned many precious things that were later reflected in his writing. 以下の質問に英語で答えなさい。 1, Why did he start bike-riding? 2, When and where did he go sightseeing in Britain? 3, As he himself wrote,do you think his two years in London meant nothing to him? 和訳と問題をお願いします。

• 英文の和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 内容的にまだ続いてる感じだと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Yet he had a fairly happy family life and childhood. Background and family history are important to him. He may have had a strong attachment or respect for his father, who was affluent and a sense of family pride. He may have missed out on parental love in his childhood. He would have grown reserved and cautious. May have had some health weakness or weakens of constitution. His interest would have centered on the family. He wanted to shine out. Make his family proud of him, and he would have helped other family members out and taken an interest in their lives and affairs.

• 和訳

こちらの文を和訳していただける方がいましたら よろしくお願いしますm(__)m But his thoughts did not appear on Albert Edward's clean-cut and distinguished features. He stood in 20 respectful but not obsequious attitude. He had in service before he was appointed to his ecclesiastical office, but only in very good houses, and his deport. ment was irreproachable. Starting as a page boy in the household of a merchant prince, he had risen by 25 due degrees from the position of fourth to first footman, for a year he had been single-handed butler to a widowed peeress, and, till the vacancy occurred at St Peter's, butler with two men under him in the house of a retired ambassador. He was tall, spare, grave, and dignified. He looked, if not like a duke, at least like an actor of the old school who specialized duke's parts. He had tact, firmness, and self- s assurance. His character was unimpeachable. The vicar began briskly. Foreman, we've got something rather unpleasant to say to you. You've been here a great many years and I think his lordship and the general agree with me that you've fulfilled the duties of your office to the satisfaction of everybody concerned. The two churchwardens nodded. 'But a most extraordinary circumstance came to my knowledge the other day and I felt it my duty to us impart it to the churchwardens. I discovered to my astonishment that you could neither read nor write.' The verger's face betrayed no sign of embarrass- ment. "The last vicar knew that, sir,' he replied. "He said a it didn't make no difference. He always said there was a great deal too much education in the world for 'is taste.

• 和訳お願いします

Here I mention another visitor,well known at that time,who appeared at the laboratory one day.His name was Hiram S.Maxim.He had made an arc lamp and generator which he exploited and which was known as the Maxim arc light system. He,too as I already mentioned,dabbled about wity an incandescent lamp idea in 1878 and like others had no success.His lamp was of very low resistance and possessed many other defects-it was simply an abandoned experiment of no practical value. Maxim was very much interested in what Edison showed him and the two spent almost a day together.Edison explained to him how the paper filaments were made and carbonized and all about the glass-blowing part.In fact,Maxim spent nearly two hours with Edison in the glass house where Boehm,Holzer and Hipple were working.He,too,like the 'celebrated electrician of Cleveland' took leave with the most touching cordiality.

• 英文和訳(とにかく分からないです)

以下の1文はAdam Smith-Theory and Politics-The four stages of Societyの481頁からの引用です。 From the system I have already explain'd, you will remember that I told you we may conceive an injury was done one when an impartial spectator would be of opinion he was injured, would join with him in his concern and go along with him when he defended the subject in his possession against any violent attack, or used force to recover what had been thus wrongfully wrested out of his hand. 質問は、この文は一体全体どうなっているのか、ということです。 you will remember that I....の「you」が全体の主語で、that節の主語はI、そしてI told you(that)we may....でまたthat節に入りyouが主語になる。(that)we may....はwe may conceive an injury was doneで終わる。 ここで「one」がくるのですが、when以下は挿入で one would join....という風に「one」は主語であると考える。すると、one would join with him in his concern and go along with him when....に続く。 あぁ、とにかくどこがどうなっているやら、そもそもoneは主語であっているのか、2つのwhenはどこにかかるのか、ということが分かりません。どなたか分かる方いらっしゃいますか? From the system I have already explain'd, の the systemは「占有することで財産権(所有権)が生まれる仕組み」を指します。

• 和訳お願いします

I remember an incident involving one of the group whose name must go unmentioned because it occupies an elevated place in the history of electric lighting.Well,he too one night became frozen in the arms of Morpheus and began to breathe pretty loudly in his sleep.The disturbance was like intermittent approaching thunder with crashes between,ending with a periodical gulping that shook the laboratory in the silence of night.'I'll fix him,'said one of the boys with a fiendish grin,'I have a machine that will do the business,and you don't need to waste any more ammonia.'He went away and returned with a contraption that he had been working on the day before.It was a soap box upon which was mounted an enormos rattle that was actuated by a crankshaft turned by hand.'Which it work,boys,'he whispered as he placed the infernal thing near the sleeper on the table and gave it a few vigorous turns. It produced a terrific noise.The poor victim fairly bounced into the air thinking that a tornado had struck Menlo Park! The boys laughed.Some of us dubbed the machine a 'corpse revier'and others called it the 'calmer.'