• ベストアンサー

ox and lamb kept time とは何を指す?

benderの回答

• bender
  • ベストアンサー率45% (108/236)
回答No.6

例えばインターネットの画像検索で Nativity(Nativity scene)を 探すとわかるように、ヨーロッパやアメリカの人たちは、キリストの 降誕についてある程度のイメージをもっています。 現在でもクリスマスが近くなると、画像検索にあるような厩と人形 (人や動物など)を家庭で飾ったり、教会では大きなセットを作って 降誕劇をしたりするところがあります。 質問にある歌詞は、1892年生まれのアメリカ人女性が作ったそうですが、 キリストの降誕場面で ox や lamb を登場させることは、全く不自然では ないように思います。 そもそも、Wikipedia の日本語記事「キリストの降誕」にもあるように 聖書には、マリアがキリストを飼い葉桶(manger)に寝かせた、宿に 部屋がなかった、とあるだけで、その場所が「馬」小屋であったとは 書いてありません。

ojisa
質問者

お礼

そうですね。確かにルカの福音書にある記述では「飼い葉桶に寝かせた」としていますが、馬がいたとは書いていませんし、作者がその題材を忠実になぞったわけではないことはわかります。 私も少年期に欧米圏で生活したことがありますので、そういったイメージに馴染みはあるのですが、わざわざ ox と lamb に限定して登場させる感覚は、御説とは違ってちょっと不自然な感じがするのです。これは主観的な問題なので不自然ではないと仰るご意見を否定するつもりはありませんし、私の感覚の方が間違っているのかもしれません。 又、ox と lamb はそれぞれ生贄に捧げられる動物の代表格ですし子羊というのはイエスの象徴とも取れますから、馬が含まれず、この2種類の動物が選ばれていること自体に、私が知覚できない宗教的な意味が含まれていそうだと感じてしまうのです。 いずれにしても、私の主観的な疑問から発した質問にも関わらず、いろいろと考えていただき、根拠を示して下さったことはうれしく思います。 お礼が遅くなりまして申し訳ございませんでした。

関連するQ&A

• I and he? me and him?

エッセイを書いていて疑問が持ちあがりました。 最初はA)の様に書いたのですが、Me and himというのが文法的に正しいかわからなかったのでB)の様に書き換えました。 A) I appreciated to his understanding. Me and him created great relationship while I was living in the room. B) I appreciated to his understanding and I created good relationship while I was living in the room. A)は間違いでしょうか?教えてください、お願いします。

• I and he? Me and him?

エッセイを書いていて疑問が持ちあがりました。 最初はA)の様に書いたのですが、Me and himというのが文法的に正しいかわからなかったのでB)の様に書き換えました。 A) I appreciated to his understanding. Me and him created great relationship while I was living in the room. B) I appreciated to his understanding and I created good relationship while I was living in the room. A)は間違いでしょうか?教えてください、お願いします。

• ,his job kept him too busy to...

NHKラジオ英会話講座より My dad loved model trains when he was a boy. But as an adult, his job kept him too busy to continue. ・・省略・・。・・仕事が忙しくて続けられなかったの。 (質問)[,his job kept him too busy to continue.]についてお尋ねします。 (1)[too..to]が入っているので今一つ、分り難いのですが、次のような[SVOO]の考えでよろしいですか? a)his job(S) 彼の仕事が b)kept(V) その状態にした。 c)him(O-1) 彼に d)too busy to continue(O-2) 忙しすぎて続けられなかった。 直訳すると「彼の仕事が(a)彼に(c)忙しすぎて続けられない(d)その状態にした(b)。」と考えました。如何でしょうか? (2)[to continue]は不定詞の名詞的用法ですか? (3)[to continue]をO-2と考えるのか、[too busy to continue]をO-2と考えるのか?分りません。 易しい説明をいただければと、希望します。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• for the time ever

I am a 68-year-old widow with two grown children, both married, both living nearby. I dearly love babies and baby-sit as much as possible. My son and wife had my first grandson over the summer. My son called me the morning after to invite me to see him, so I did for a few minutes. Then, a few weeks later and a few weeks after that, my son invited me to their home to see the baby again. So I went. When I didn't see the baby for several weeks, I texted my daughter-in-law to ask whether I could see the baby but got no response. I knew she would be going back to work soon, so I asked again. No response. The next thing I knew, my son told me to leave them alone -- that they wanted their privacy. I cried and cried but don't know what happened. He told me to not text or call. This happened around Thanksgiving, when, for the time ever, we didn't spend the holiday together. for the time everとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 歌詞の和訳をお願いいたします。

I'll bring my love to you… I'll bring my love to you I've been stood up messed around and take for a fool but next time 'round I'm gonna change the rules and I don't care about the things that people say it's you I think about each and every day it's much too late for you to change your ways I can't keep holding on expecting you to stay when you're all alone and if you're feeling down call me I'll be around Whenever you need somebody I'll bring my love to you you don't have to say you love me I just wanna be with you Lost inside your love is where I wanna be I'm just asking you to spend some time with me time and time you say you wanna be free and you can have some fun that's okay with me you will never know just how good I feel the joy inside of me makes me feel so real when you're all alone and if you're feeling down call me I'll be around Whenever you need somebody I'll bring my love to you you don't have to say you love me I just wanna be with you whenever you need somebody I'll bring my love to you you don't have to say you love me I just wanna be with you I'll bring my love to you (I just wanna be with you) I'll bring my love to you (I just wanna be with you) It's much too late for you to change your way I can't keep holding on expecting you to stay when you're all alone and if you're feeling down call me I'll be around Whenever you need somebody I'll bring my love to you you don't have to say you love me I just wanna be with you whenever you need somebody I'll bring my love to you you don't have to say you love me I just wanna be with you Whenever you need somebody I'll bring my love to you you don't have to say you love me I just wanna be with you

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

For the rest of the holidays I thought of him as "Basil", and by asking questions and taking more interest than usual in the conversation around me I formed an idea of his private life. "Dorothy," I speculated, "and Basil." I let my mind dwell on them until I saw a picture of the rooms above the shop. I hung round at tea-time and, in order to bring the conversation round to Dorothy and Basil, told our visitors I had been to get my eyes tested. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Basilは検眼士です。(DorothyはBasilの姉です) 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 ----------------------------------- ●I let my mind dwell on them until I saw a picture of the rooms above the shop.のsaw(see)は「・・・を心に描く」「・・・を想像する」の意味だと思うのですが、imagineとはどのような違いがあるのでしょうか? ●I hung round at tea-time and, in order to bring the conversation round to Dorothy and Basil, told our visitors I had been to get my eyes tested.の I had been to get my eyes testedは、「検眼をする予定だった」と読むのでしょうか? be動詞+to不定詞は「予定」の意味ですか? (なんとなく、すでに検眼を終えてきているので、I had got my eyes testedとしてもいいような気がするのですが。) 前文は She looked at me, then returned to attend to the person in the shop, leaving the intervening door wide open. She was back again almost immediately. My examination was soon over. Mr Simmonds saw me out at the front door and gave me pleading unhappy look. I felt like a traitor and I considered him horrible. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• song and dance

I recently had my first baby. It is a magical time for me and my husband. My parents, who live relatively close by, were elated by my son’s arrival and are very doting grandparents. My mother and I have had a very rocky history, and I was hopeful that my son could have a relationship with his grandmother, separate from my own issues with her. As she is with everything in my life, my mother is extremely overbearing. She never gives me a compliment and constantly questions and criticizes every decision I make. She is very concerned about appearances, and tries to constantly push her wishes for how to dress and feed my child, etc., on me. I accept and welcome suggestions—but my mother will force her will. She nags, belittles, and insults my decisions until I replace them with her own. She constantly interferes in our decisions. Ignoring her is impossible, as she will nag until you agree to adopt her decision. My father tells me that she is my mother, and although she is very difficult, she will not change, so I must. This has been the song and dance of my whole life. I am tired of having to be the one to roll over just because she won’t change or accept my decisions. ここでのthe song and danceとroll overはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

I doubt if there is my life that I regret more bitterly than I do my frequent failure as aboy to bring delight to my parents by showing them how pleased I was. Time after time, I realize now, I must have brought them bewilderment, dismay, and aching disappointment, by failing to respond adequately to some treat they planned for me. できるだけ詳しく教えていただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

• よろしくお願いします

I am 32 and have been married to my husband, the love of my life and best friend, for the past five years. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with a terminal illness, and currently only have about six-to-eight months left. This has been very hard, but I am starting to come to terms with the reality of the situation. My husband has been amazingly supportive of me during this time. We have no kids, and as my health has declined, he has sat with me through endless doctor appointments, hospital stays, and sleepless nights. On bad days he even has to help me bathe, and I know this has taken a toll on him. A few weeks ago while using his iPad to watch a movie, an email came in and I discovered he has been having a affair (emotional and sexual) with a co-worker for a few months now. For several days I cried, heartbroken at the betrayal, but now I feel like my husband deserves to have someone help him and support HIM through this emotional time. I have not confronted him about the affair, and were it not for the email and my subsequent snooping, I never would have known as I have not felt him pulling away from me. Do I confront my husband and tell him I understand? That although I am hurt, I forgive him and I don’t want him to feel guilty? That although I am hurtのThatはどのような役割でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• come and ~の使い方

I won't change my mind whoever comes and tells me to. この英文のwhoever以下の動詞をcomes and tellsとしましたが、comes and tell のようにcomeだけにSをつけるような表現は可能でしょうか? よろしくお願いします。