• ベストアンサー

"turn the wheels in"の意味

英語の解釈で困っています。 子供たちがホットドックの販売車を指さして言ってるところですが、 Everytime he parks in front of Brown's house, he never turns the wheels in like he's supposed to. この"turns the wheels in"がどういう意味かいまいち分かりません。 「タイヤをたたむ」という感じかと思いましたが、普通の車では タイヤはたためないと思いますし。。 この後子供たちが坂の途中に停められた販売車のブレーキを 外し、車が坂を滑って大破する場面が続きます。 どなたかお教えいただけたらありがたいです。よろしく御願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

アメリカに38年半住んでいる者です。 私なりに書かせてくださいね。 これは、#1さんもおっしゃっているように、坂での車の止め方です。 運転免許の試験では必ずと言っていいほど確かめられます。 坂の下の方に向かって駐車するときは車輪を歩道に向けて、上に向いているのであれば歩道から逆に向けて、と言う駐車方法のことをやらなかったのです。 サイドブレーキをはずして車が坂を下ろうとしても前輪が歩道に当たるのでそこでストップするわけです。 これをしていなければ、ニュートン卿に言われなくても車は坂を下ってしまうわけですね。 これでいかがでしょうか? 分かりにくい点がありましたら、補足質問してください。 

lemon3333
質問者

お礼

アメリカからのご回答ありがとうございます。 やはり車輪の向きのことなのですね。 日本の教習所では言われなかったので知りませんでした。 大変参考になりました。 ありがとうございます!

その他の回答 (1)

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

車の止め方でこんな文がありましたが If parking on a downhill slope, turn the wheels in to the kerb. 私は車を運転しないので分からないのですが、坂道で車を止めるときにはタイヤをまっすぐにしたままではなくて、ハンドルを切って縁石側にタイヤを曲げて止めるものなのではないのでしょうか。 ご質問の文でもそういう状況かもしれませんね。そのあとの話からするとそのブラウンさんの家の前は坂道なんですよね。だから本当からするとタイヤを曲げて止めるべきところなのに、そうしないのが彼の常だ、ということではないでしょうか。

lemon3333
質問者

お礼

さっそくのご回答ありがとうございます。 車輪を曲げて、ということなのですね。なるほど。 助かりました。ありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• in turnの意味合い

この文でのin turnの意味合いはどういったものでしょうか。 The Roman empire, of course, served as a model for virtually all of its Western successors. It was no accident that the new American republic promptly acquired a senate, a capitol, and an eagle for its emblem. These were all conscious borrowings from Ancient Rome, another great republic that became an empire, and reflected the Founding Fathers' interest in the United States in turn becoming what Alexander Hamilton called 'an empire in many respects the most interesting in the world'.

• どのような意味でしょうか

Dear Prudence, My parents are getting ready to sell the house my brother and I grew up in, and my brother (now 21) is living in the basement while working and saving up for his own place. For the past five years, he has been smoking pot in the basement. A lot. When I was home from college during the summer, I smelled it all the time, and I still smell it when I visit. My parents have turned a blind nose to this, which has resulted in the entire basement smelling like stale pot smoke. How can I tell them, nicely, that there’s no way they will sell the house until they do something about the disgusting smell coming from the basement? —Basement-Dweller Smeller Just say, “Mom and Dad, have you planned on getting the house professionally cleaned before you start showing it to buyers? There’s a musty smell in the basement that might put a damper on interest.” put a damper on interestはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• アメリカの新聞記事(テストスキャンダル)の翻訳

アメリカの新聞記事の冒頭の文でが、その翻訳についてお教えください。最初の1行はタイトルです。 Ex-Schools Chief in Atlanta Is Indicted in Testing Scandal During his 35 years as a Georgia state investigator, Richard Hyde has persuaded all sorts of criminals — corrupt judges, drug dealers, money launderers, racketeers — to turn state’s evidence, but until Jackie Parks, he had never tried to flip an elementary school teacher. It worked. In the fall of 2010, Ms. Parks, a third-grade teacher at Venetian Hills Elementary School in southwest Atlanta, agreed to become Witness No. 1 for Mr. Hyde, in what would develop into the most widespread public school cheating scandal in memory. 特に下記のところが何となく雰囲気的には解るのですが、うまく表現出来ません。 ----- to turn state’s evidence, but until Jackie Parks, he had never tried to flip an elementary school teacher. ------ 「Mr. HydeがMs. Parksを説得したという事が解決の糸口になった」というような解釈で良いのでしょうか

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

As playwright Titus Maccius Plautus wrote, "no guest is so welcome in a friend's house that he will not become a nuisance after three days" 括弧内の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• off-grid

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 18 months and moved in together about five months ago. We live in an apartment near the center of town. He’s always been interested in sustainability and environmental issues. Recently, he’s become interested in the tiny house movement, and we’ve now had a few conversations about moving somewhere rural and off-grid. ここでのoff-gridはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英訳(イエスについて)の訳をお願いします。

a lot of people are offended that "God himself" would be "weak" enough to give in to sexual desires, when He is supposed to be the holy sacrifice for our sins. ダビンチコードでイエスには子供がいたのではないかというのが話題になりましたが、それについての英文です。 わたしなりには"神イエスは私達の罪のために犠牲になったとされているのに性欲があるということは弱者だ"と非難している。になりますが、誰かお願いします。後、when He is supposed to be the holy sacrifice for our sins. の部分でどうしてwhenを使うのかわかりません。お願いします。

• どのような意味でしょうか

Several months ago my family and I pulled into our driveway in my vehicle. We noticed that there were wires pulled down underneath my husband’s vehicle. It turns out that someone cut his brake lines! I was totally freaked out and wanted to call the authorities to make a report. He vehemently refused and said it wouldn’t do any good. He was able to repair the brakes himself and didn’t want to talk about it. I wanted to talk about it but didn’t want our kids to hear for fear they may get scared. I asked him repeatedly who could have done this. He said, “Probably neighborhood kids.” I said that neighborhood kids don’t usually try to kill people! He purchased outside motion detector cameras immediately after this incident, and nothing has happened since. My husband is a quiet, mild-mannered guy (who has absolutely NO GAME—I made the first, second, and third moves!). has absolutely NO GAMEはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願い致します。

見たい動画が字幕も英語なのでなんとなくしかわかりません。長いですが、だいたいで構わないので宜しくお願い致します。 Henk has learned that he's HIV positive. Naturally he's freaking out, and anxious to know if Cassie and the baby are ok, or infected as well. He turns to Martha for support, and enlists her help to get Cassie to have a blood test on the ruse that it's to do with her job for insurance purposes. He fears the worst, and when Cass is called in for the results, his fears are confirmed.

• ARAYAのタイヤについて

この前、車と接触して乗っていたMTBのフロントのホイールが曲がってしまいました。 修復不可能の感じなんで買い換えようと思います。 ホイールにはARAYAJAPAN HE VP-20と書いてあるのですが販売はしてるでしょうか? (ブレーキはカンチブレーキです。) もし他のホイールを探す場合、サイズはどうなるんでしょうか?タイヤは26×1.5なのですが…… ていうかVP-20っていうのはサイズのことなのですか? 初心者なんで詳しくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 英語で訳してほしいところがあります。

英語で訳してほしいところがあります。 以下の文章は黒人であるローザパークスさんの話です。この文章は彼女が92歳で死んでしまってからの英文だと思います。 彼女は1955年にアラバマ州都で公営バスの運転手の命令に背いて白人に席を譲るのを拒み、人種分離法違反のかどで逮捕されて著名となる。これを契機にモンゴメリー・バス・ボイコット事件が勃発。アフリカ系アメリカ人(黒人)による公民権運動の導火線となったことで彼女は米国史上の文化的象徴と見なされ、米国連邦議会から「公民権運動の母」と呼ばれた。人権擁護運動の共有財産(共有遺産)として、その行動は米国内のみならず国際的にも高く評価されている。 In a gesture marking her importance, she became the first woman and the first African American woman to lie in honor at the Capitol Rotunda. ここでのgestureというのがわかりません。 前後の文脈でもローザパークが死んだことぐらいしか書いてませんでした。 歴史的に見たらなにかありますか? gestureっていうのは白人だけが座れる席に座ったことを意味してるのでしょうか? Jackson said that he and th 40 black members who joined his bill would not be in the House were it not for Parks. この文章でのwere以下ってどうなってるのでしょうか? この文章で動詞が4つぐらい出てきていて混乱してます。 また、ここでのHouseっていうのはどういう意味でしょうか? the House and Sente approved legislation・・・・・・ という文章も別のところでありました。 Senateは上院でいいのですが、Houseというのはどういった風に訳したらいいのでしょうか? 下院でいいのでしょうか? ※Jackson Rep.Jesse Jackson Jr.(D-Ill)イリノイ州出身の民主党議員 The bills were tailored so that a full statue of Parks would stand beside the nation`s greatest leaders, and not suffer the fate of Martin Luther King Jr, whose bust was commissioned decades ago by a Capitol architect who was given a choice between that and a full statue. ※tailored 認められた(適応された)?  bust 胸像 ここは全体的に意味がつかめませんでした。 長いですが、お願いします。 意訳でもかまいません。 King`s likeness was placed in the Rotunda, away from the more distinguished group ※likeness 彫像   ここのdistinguished groupとは何を意味してるのでしょうか? この前の段落はさっき載せた2つ目の英文(The bills were・・・・)です It has been said that Parks stood her ground when police ordered her to stand at the back of a crowded bus so that a white man could sit because she was tired この文章も意味がつかめません。 パークスさんは疲れてたので、立った(stood her ground)? "She did more to build a more perfect union than most states in the room" where her likeness will stand ここでのshe はローザパークスさんです。 とても長い文章ですが、全部じゃなくてもかまいません。 お願いします。