• ベストアンサー

without my lettingの意味は?

原文:These civilian scientists have taken enough of the spotlights without my letting one of their slipshod errors cast a shadow over our public moment of glory. 和訳:(あるプロの和訳です。)あの民間人科学者たちはこれまで充分に脚光を浴びている。われわれが栄光に浴する晴れの席を連中のひとりのばかげた過失で台なしすることはない。 質問: 1)without my letting は「私の許しもなく」と言う意味ですか。 2)そうだとすると、直訳すると「わたしの許可もなくばかな過失が栄光に影を投げた」となりますか。 そして、訳者は反語的に上記のように意訳したのですか。 以上お伺いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • akijake
  • ベストアンサー率43% (431/992)
回答No.1

こんにちは。 プロの方の訳はうまい訳だと思います。 文全体の構成としては、 I could do it without letting you know. などと同じ構文だと思えばよいと思います。 もし主文の主語とlet you know の主語が違う場合は、lettingの前に後の文の主語の所有格が入ります。 without my letting one of their slipshod errors cast a shadow over our public moment of glory. ここの部分を1つの文章に直してみたら判りやすくなるのではないでしょうか? まずwithout 以下を独立した文にすると、 I let 【one of their slipshod errors】cast a shadow over our public moment of glory. となります。 【】内は I let you do it 「私はあなたにそれをやらせてあげる/する事を許す」 などの【you】の部分と考えます。 よって 私が【連中のひとりのばかげた過失】に、我々が栄光に浴する晴れの席の上にcast a shadow することを許す。 と言う意味になります。 without は「~なしに」なので、これ以下の文は否定となり、 「私が【連中のひとりのばかげた過失】に、我々が栄光に浴する晴れの席の上にcast a shadow することを許すことなしに」 となります。 ややこしくなってしまいましたが…。

hachiemon
質問者

お礼

早速のご回答有難うございます 大変勉強になりました

その他の回答 (1)

• Poer
  • ベストアンサー率45% (72/157)
回答No.2

この場合、前置詞withoutの目的語はmy lettingのみならず、  my letting one of their slipshod errors cast a shadow over our public moment of glory という長いフレーズのすべてとなります。  lettingは動名詞ですから、後ろにさらに目的語を従えることが出来ます。そしてlet+目的語+動詞の原形(目的語に~させる)という形がその後ろに見えたなら、もう迷うことはないでしょう。 without(~なしに)  letting(させること)   one of their slipshod errors(連中の一人のばかげた過失が)→letの目的語    cast a shadow over our public moment of glory(われわれが栄光に浴する晴れの席を台無しにする)→動詞の原形以下

hachiemon
質問者

お礼

早速のご指導誠に有難うございます ご懇篤な解説大変勉強になりました

関連するQ&A

• 何という意味ですか??

If my grandparents can live here without ever speaking a word of English, I believe you will do just fine! という文章の和訳を教えて下さい!!

• うまく訳せません、アドバイスをお願いします!

小説「ピグマリオン」(マイフェアレディーの原作)を課題で訳しているのですが、次の2文があまりうまく訳せません。 みなさんに和訳をお願いしてしまうとズルになってしまうので、どう訳せばいいかのアドバイスをどうかお願いしますm(__)m 両方とも音声学者ヒギンズがしゃべっているシーンなのですが。 I waste the treasures of my Miltonic mind by spreading them before you. (Miltonic mind?ミルトンの思想??ですか?イマイチわかりません…) Once for all, understand that I go my way and do my work without caring twopence what happens to either of us. (ここの2ペンスというのは、主人公がヒギンズに正しい英語を教わるのに最初に支払った額なのですが)

• ボブディラン「I want you」の歌詞にある"スペードの女王″とは?

ハーモニカが軽快なボブ・ディランの「I want you」の歌詞に  Well, I return to the queen of spades  And talk with my chambermaid.  She knows that Im not afraid to look at her. という節があります。 和訳は訳者によってちょっとずつ違うみたいですが おおむね下記のような感じです。  さて、Queen of Spadesへ帰って  ぼくの付き人と話でもするか。  ぼくが恐れずに彼女を見つめることを、彼女は知っている。 この歌詞をより深く理解するには「Queen of Spades(スペードの女王)」の意味が重要な気がします。 これはいったいどのような意味で用いられているのでしょうか? 嫌われ者? 土地? 推論でも結構ですので、ご意見をお願いします! なお引用した歌詞中の3行目に書かれる「She」は 「Queen of Spades」でも、2行目の「chambermaid(女中)」でもないかもしれません。

• 大体でいいので訳してください!

大体でいいので訳してください! Joe and Nick Jonas go barefoot on the green during the family vacation in Mexico on Thursday (April 8) as a part of One Day Without Shoes effort. The brothers’ pals are also taking part in the initiative. Check out the tweets: Nick: “The bottom of my feet are completely green after golfing without shoes on, but its awesome!” Demi Lovato: “My awesome director @ericdeanseaton is letting me go barefoot in this next scene for Sonny!!” Meaghan Martin: “I am barefoot today but in places where its not allowed, I wear my TOMS!” Debby Ryan: “I’ve personally been part of the Toms One for One movement for over a year…today is a chance to walk in the bare feet of the countless people, specifically children, around the world who don’t get the privilege of shoes. We take them for granted, so today, I’m living without shoes to see for myself what a blessing they are.” (via Tumblr) DID YOU PARTICIPATE in One Day Without Shoes?

• 大体でいいので訳してください!

大体でいいので訳してください! Joe and Nick Jonas go barefoot on the green during the family vacation in Mexico on Thursday (April 8) as a part of One Day Without Shoes effort. The brothers’ pals are also taking part in the initiative. Check out the tweets: Nick: “The bottom of my feet are completely green after golfing without shoes on, but its awesome!” Demi Lovato: “My awesome director @ericdeanseaton is letting me go barefoot in this next scene for Sonny!!” Meaghan Martin: “I am barefoot today but in places where its not allowed, I wear my TOMS!” Debby Ryan: “I’ve personally been part of the Toms One for One movement for over a year…today is a chance to walk in the bare feet of the countless people, specifically children, around the world who don’t get the privilege of shoes. We take them for granted, so today, I’m living without shoes to see for myself what a blessing they are.” (via Tumblr) DID YOU PARTICIPATE in One Day Without Shoes?

• 日本文に合うように( )に適語をいれ英文を完成させ

日本文に合うように( )に適語をいれ英文を完成させなさい。(1)おばは、数学や理科だけではなく、英語も一生懸命勉強しました。 ( )a( ),she became one of the most famous scientist in the world. (2)魚の中には生涯を泳いで過ごすものがいます。 My aunt studied English hard ( )well ( ) math and science. (3)それらの魚は止まることなく泳ぎ続けると信じられています。 It is ( ) ( ) those fish keep on swimming without stopping. (4)私たちは雨の中を一日中歩きつづけなくてはなりません。 We have to walk in the rain ( ) day ( ). (5)両親は私がオーストラリアに留学することを許してくれました。 My parents ( ) me ( ) study in Australia. (6)彼女はミュージシャンになる夢に思いをはせました。 She ( ) ( ) to her dream of being a musician.

• シェークスピア Poor soul, the centre of my sinful earth,

シェークスピアのソネットだそうですが和訳はございますでしょうか?書籍名などご存知でしたらお教え下さい。問題なければ訳文ご紹介頂ければ。よろしくお願いいたします。 Poor soul, the centre of my sinful earth, My sinful earth these rebel powers array, Why dost thou pine within and suffer dearth, Painting thy outward walls so costly gay? Why so large cost, having so short a lease, Dost thou upon thy fading mansion spend? Shall worms, inheritors of this excess, Eat up thy charge? is this thy body's end? Then soul live thou upon thy servant's loss, And let that pine to aggravate thy store; Buy terms divine in selling hours of dross; Within be fed, without be rich no more. So shall thou feed on Death, that feeds on men, And Death once dead, there's no more dying then.

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

I’ve been publishing my writing for some time now, and lately my words have caught the attention of a writing/editing mentor (15 years my senior) who is very interested in my “story” and wants to help me write a book. Small problem: I had a yearlong affair with her husband, and I’m afraid she’s going to figure me out. Is it possible to entertain her interest without outing myself? 最後のセンテンスの和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします

何回もすみません。 和訳お願いします。 To my surprise, my extremely limited Japanese did not prevent me from making friends with people who didn't speak English. I even learned, to some degree, sado and ikebana. These classes were conducted entirely in Japanese. I also watched a lot of TV. Without understanding a word, I was thoroughly engrossed in the soap operas, samurai dramas, sumo wrestling matches, anime, and even the commercials.

• without appearingの意味

宜しく御願い致します。 without appearing really to believe what he had said. という文なのですが、この文の文法的解釈方法と意味を教えてください。 自分なりに考えたのは、 without appearing reallyは「本当に魅力がなさそうに」 to believe what he had saidは「彼が言ったことを信じるには」 で、「彼が言ったことは本当に信じるに値しないかのように」と考えたのですがこの解釈であっているでしょうか。 宜しく御願い致します。