• ベストアンサー

英文和訳です。よろしくお願いします。

I got to thinking what was it about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line?" ベトナム戦争時、捕虜になった米兵が、手作りの米国旗を隠し持っていたと言う内容の文に続きます。「人々を文字通り命の危険にさらさせるこの布切れについて、それが何であるか私は考え始めた。」 what was it about の訳し方が分かりません。 和訳と考え方をお教えください。お願いいたします。 参照:http://www.voanews.com/english/AmericanLife/2005-06-30-voa18.cfm

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • lanwtwis
  • ベストアンサー率65% (29/44)
回答No.2

強調構文 it is XX that SV… のXX(強調されるもの)をwhatにした疑問文です さかのぼると what was it about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line? ↑ it was what about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line? ↑ it was XX about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line ↑ いちばんの源の文は XX about this piece of cloth would cause people to literally put their life on the line あらためて下ってみると XX about this piece of cloth would cause people to literally put their life on the line XX about this piece of cloth この布切れがその性質などとして持っているXX この布切れの持っているXXが原因となって人は文字どおりその命を危険にさらす 参照 about http://pewebdic2.cw.idm.fr/ 4 in the nature or character of a person or thing: 人・ものがその性質他として持っている There's something really strange about Liza. Lizaにはほんとうに変わったところがある What I like about the job is that it's never boring. この仕事でわたしが好きなところは、いくらやっても飽きがこないというところだ。 XXを強調するためにit wasとthatではさんで it was XX about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line この布切れの持つ(まさに)XXが原因で人は文字どおりその命を危険にさらす XXをwhatでおきかえて it was what about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line? (ちなみに、このような語順は学校英語などでは稀とされますが、実際は多用されます。例:NHKラジオ、ビジネス英会話冒頭聞き取りのポイント) この布切れの持つ(いったい)なにが原因で人は文字どおりその命を危険にさらすのか 語順を疑問文らしくして what was it about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line? この布切れの持つ(いったい)なにが原因で人は文字どおりその命を危険にさらすのか (訳は仮りの直訳です) ----------------------------- 引用符 I got to thinking what was it about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line what was it about this piece of cloth that would cause people to literally put their life on the line は直接話法になっているので、本来 “ ”を付すべきなのでしょうが、 ここを含む全体がMr. Leepson氏の著作からの引用ないし、氏の発言として “ ”ですでに囲まれているので、 引用符がダブるくどさを避けて、付さなかったものと思われます。

その他の回答 (1)

• weiemes15
  • ベストアンサー率28% (232/828)
回答No.1

itはthat~の置き換えです about~clothはwhatを修飾します

関連するQ&A

• この英文を和訳して頂けますか?

imagine having the confidence of everybody around you for what it is you are about to do. 「a thousand paths to confidence」という本の一節ですが、what 以下が うまく訳せません。what you are about to do.であれば「あなたがしようとしていること」になると思うのですが、 間にある「it is」が何を指すのか、どう訳したらいいのかが今ひとつ理解できないのです。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳を教えてください

VOA NEWSの内容からです。 http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-08-09-voa45.cfm の10段目です。 "One has to go local in a proper sense specific to find out which fish species are ideal and then make some very simple tests with that fish. この文章の中の特に in a proper sense specific の意味がわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳

次の文を読み、【 】内を和訳せよ。 I want to talk about memory ― memory and the loss of memory ― about remembering and forgetting. My own memory was never a good one, but such as it is, or was, I am beginning to lose it, and I find this both a worrying and an interesting process. What do I forget? 【I won't say everything.】 普通に考えれば「私は何も言いたくない」ですが違うらしいのです どういう意味なのでしょうか?

• 英文の和訳してください。

英文の和訳をしてください。 お願いします……。 1*What did you do during the summer vacation? 2*What was the best thing you did during the summer vacation? 3*Do you think it is better to visit the beach or the mountains. 4*Do you think it is better to eat popcorn at the movies or not? そんなの自分で考えろ などの回答は、いりません。 真剣に困ってるので。 どうか、よろしくお願い致します。

• 和訳をお願いします!

和訳をお願いします! I think that he’s an incredible dreamer, incredibly naïve, he’s incredibly smart in what he wants to be smart at he’s one of those guys that knows ten thousand little things but doesn’t know much about one big thing and it was really fun, it was really fun to read and... Again there was something inspiring about it, there was something child like about it. There was something oddly brave about it and the thing that was very cool about the part to me was that he’s a simple guy and in his simplicity he doesn’t over think the world. And so he just lets the world happen to him and I think that that’s a blessing a lot of the time. ある俳優のインタビューです。 自分の役柄について聞かれ答えているのですが、どうしても意味が理解できないんです。。。 長文ですが宜しくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 和訳できますか?

これを和訳出来る方いますか? 会話文の一節です。 Some people get in the position where theyーthey're thinking all of the time, of what the world's going to think of this o r that instead of what they themselves think about it.

• 英文の訳を教えて下さい。

英文の訳を教えて下さい。 (1)What about you?とHow about you?の違いって。。。。 (2)I see someone I need to talk to. It was nice meeting you.の訳は。。。 (3)I'd better get going.の訳は。。。 宜しくお願い致します。

• 英文和訳

I speak tonight for the dignity of man and the destiny of democracy.  I urge every member of both parties, Americans of all religions and of all colors, from every section of this country, to join me in that cause.  At times history and fate meet at a single time in a single place to shape a turning point in man's unending search for freedom. So it was at Lexington and Concord. So it was a century ago at Appomattox. So it was last week in Selma, Alabama.  There, long-suffering men and women peacefully protested the denial of their rights as Americans. Many were brutally assaulted. One good man, a man of God, was killed.  There is no cause for pride in what has happened in Selma. There is no cause for self-satisfaction in the long denial of equal rights of millions of Americans. But there is cause for hope and for faith in our democracy in what is happening here tonight.  For the cries of pain and the hymns and protests of oppressed people have summoned into convocation all the majesty of this great Government--the Government of the greatest Nation on earth.  Our mission is at once the oldest and the most basic of this country: to right wrong, to do justice, to serve man.  In our time we have come to live with moments of great crisis. Our lives have been marked with debate about great issues; issues of war and peace, issues of prosperity and depression. But rarely in any time does an issue lay bare the secret heart of America itself. Rarely are we met with a challenge, not to our growth or abundance, our welfare or our security, but rather to the values and the purposes and the meaning of our beloved Nation どなたかお願いしますm(__)m

• 英文の和訳をお願いします

またすいません… What the scientists did in the center was to thaw small parts of the animal and look for clues-clues that could tell us more about the would of the mammoth. Another group involved in mammoth research was an international team headed by Dr.Goto Kazufumi. 長くてすいません

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

I don't get it. The video starts by saying -- "I feel safer here  than in Canada", then it's a bunch of stories about how common  it is to be sexually assaulted on trains in Japan and to watch  yourself. What? Is Canada even more rapey? よろしくお願いしますm(._.)m